Page 13 of 315 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Happening in Your Life?

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: What's Happening in Your Life?

gef-hope everything goes well with your parents. As many of you know, I have been dealing with that for awhile myself. It's not easy watching your parents decline. Glad to hear your father is doing better.

The phone rang with more bad news on Friday. My husband's closest friend, who is a close friend of my husband's whole family and is the godfather of our 2 children died early Friday morning. He has been in poor health for a year or so now. He had gotten heavily into drinking a few years ago when his wife filed for divorce and just declined severely over the last year or so. By the time he was taken to the hospital his organs were shutting down and there was no hope. So many of us have tried and tried to get him help to no avail. The old saying that you can't help those who won't help themselves is so true. In the last couple of months he quit his job after 30 years and closed himself into his house and just faded away. So sad for all of us that loved him but none of us were able to get thru to him. One more loved one gone to add to the growing list from this past year. Life goes on for the ones left behind tho and so we carried on with most of our weekend plans.

Us and our friends did do our hunt for more vinyl on Saturday with a bit of success. This weekend tho I only found one Eagles album (Desperado) for $1.00 and also found two 45s for $.50 each. Found a couple of Sweet 45s also. All together, between 4 couples, we came home with about 40 albums, 20 45s and a few 8 track tapes. I bet we spent no more that $75.00 between all of us, had lunch, enjoyed the trip out together and finished off the day on the patio listening to our newly aquired lot while eating great food and having a few drinks till the wee hours of Sunday morning.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

GEF, that air display looks fantastic. Pity it couldn't go ahead this year. I hope your dad recovers soon and is feeling better. And I'm delighted to hear that your son's exam was upgraded. I hope he now gets his first choice college.
    Meanwhile I hope your hubby manages to finish his trek without any further incident. I was in Corsica in 1999 and I must say those beaches were indeed spectacular.

Yes, Soda! I managed to salvage the most important part of the BB! My memory card! But I've lost all my addresses and phone numbers. I had also saved those emails that I had sent you from London last March. I used to reread them to bring back some of the magic.

MH, what a nice day you had, its true! A good start is half the work. I hope you and GOS have a great year this year.

FP! I'm glad you had a good night for your reunion, but I suppose the further away from school we get the harder it is to fing common threads. I know how you feel when classmates talk about grown up children. I experienced that too at my reunion, and mine still seem like babies!!

TBF, I'm very sorry for the loss you husband and his family have experienced in the death of their friend. It sounds like despite the efforts his friends made his last few years were not happy ones for him. I'm sure he is at peace now.

GEF and PM, Your parents are fantastic people to have lived so long and experienced so much. Mine are 50 years married, and I can see my dad slowing down at this stage, tho' mentally he is still as clear as a whistle. It is being suggested that he have a hip replacement done. We'll have to see.

And at the other end of the age spectrum......Chris my younger child started primary school today. He was only in for about 90 minutes, but he has a longer day tomorrow. He looked so cute in his uniform

And with Mommy......

'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border

Those are beautiful photos GA.

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Wow! gone for just a few days and I missed so much!

GAN, What adorable pictures! He's a cutie for sure! He looks just like you! My Sarah starts Kindergarten tomorrow, well actually she gets to meet her teacher and see her classroom tomorrow all in the safety of Mommy's hand *grin* but she starts earnestly on the 4th. My 17 yr old starts her senior year on Wednesday *sigh* I seem to remember doing this just a few years ago with her. It goes way too fast.

GAF. What fun to see the air show! We used to have one here at a local airport but it had to stop when a few accidents occured and a couple of people were killed. I used to sit in the back yard and watch the blue angels and stunt planes dive and swoop. It was a lot of fun but VERY noisey! Your pictures are wonderful!

Mrs. H and GOS - Have a great year. It sounds like it's getting off to a good start! and Mrs. H, Im glad to hear you're having some better times. Last time I read your posts, you were having a real rough time. Keep Don handy on an Ipod or CD player and it can never get too bad *grin*

FP ~ I know what you mean when you say it was funny to hear all your friends talking about adult children. I have a 5 yr old and most of the people I went to highschool with are becomming grandparents! *I* dont think of myself as that old *grin*

TBF, It was hard to read your post. Depression is a very hard thing to deal with and to loose a loved one to depression and self abuse is an awful thing. Im very sorry for your loss and my prayers and thoughts are with you all.

GF and PM, My parents just had their 51st anniversery. They actually dont cellebrate it anymore. They just note it and usually run off to the cabin for the weekend.. hmm.. come to think of it, maybe they are celebrating it *grin* We had a big Fiesta for their 50th last year. Two of my mother's cousins were married within two weeks of her and my father's sister just a week after so we had a huge party for them all (celebrating their 200th anniversery.. collectively) It was very informal, but a lot of fun.

Ok, so we're back from our last big hurrah at the cabin and while it was really beautiful, the weather wasnt. It was kind of sunny off and on but COLD! and windy and it rained like crazy saturday night. It would have been pretty romantic if Cliffy was a snuggler, but he's definatly not the snuggly type. *sigh*
    Wt brought some down right sniful cookies and I had my 'pod and a few good books, not to mention some great conversation and we did manage to get out and LOOK at the river, if not dangle our toes in it (it was pretty darn cold). It was gorgeous today when we left(of course) but school/work tomorrow so off we went. WT and I did plan a girls weekend in October with another friend at the cabin. There definatly wont be any toe dangling then (cold and the river's too big then) but maybe some wine and Eagles and chic flicks *grin* and NO KIDS! (yea!!)

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

TBF, I'm so sorry about your husband's friend. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

And Ga, what cute photos of you and your son! He's adorable! Good luck to him, and you!

My parents will be celebrating their 60th anniversary in October and we are planning a party for them. The didn't want to do anything at first, but we've finally talked them in to it. We had a family gathering for their 50th and want to have an open house for the community this time. I think when you've managed to stay married for that long, it's worth a celebration. My Mom made the comment that all their friends are dead and no one would be there! I quickly named several that were still going strong!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

TBF - I am so sorry for the lost!!! Hope your husband and the family of his friend are doing well.

GA - I love Chris! What a cutie! I'm glad he enjoyed school yesterday!

Ticky - 250 songs of Don and the Eagles, included a lot of live versions! lol!
    Let somebody love you, before it's too late..

Brooke - that's a nice idea 60 years, wow! Hope you all have great time in October!
    Let somebody love you, before it's too late..

GEF, love those pics from the air show. I am right with you, PM & Brooke with worrying about my aging mom. Brooke, it is fantastic that your folks are about to celebrate their 60th! Congratulations in advance!

FP. glad you had a pretty good time at your reunion. People can change a lot through the years.

Ticky, that cabin getaway sounded wonderful.

TBF, I am sorry for the loss of your friend. Your record-hunting trip sounded like it was a great success, though. I went through that a couple of years ago when we renovated our den. I hung movie and concert posters on one wall, and covered the wall behind our couch with framed records. Most of the records came from my own personal collection (I am a MAJOR pack-rat and a sentimentalist--I save most everything!) but I did have to hunt for a few replacement records that my ex took from me in our divorce . My display includes my Hotel California album (now autographed by Joe ), The Beatles Sgt Pepper, Janis Joplin Live, Springsteen Born in the USA, and several others.

GA, your son is adorable. Good luck to everyone in their studies as school is now back full-swing.

My youngest finally got a job at Newk's Cafe, a little sandwich & salad shop closeby, and worked her first shift yesterday. She came home very tired but is already planning how to spend her first paycheck.
    Last edited by DonFan; 09-02-2008 at 04:09 PM.

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Henley View Post
    !
    Ticky - 250 songs of Don and the Eagles, included a lot of live versions! lol!

Yup *grin*

TBF, so sorry to hear about your husband's friend. It's so hard when people are unable to fight addiction, even with the help of friends. My sympathies to you all. On a lighter note, your vinyl searching sounds a lot of fun. I check the charity shops from time to time for Eagles records, but have never had any luck. Like you, even if I already had them, I would 'rescue' them!

GA, Chris looks so proud of his uniform, and he even has a little tie - so cute! They are lovely pictures! I remember the days my two started and now my younger son has finished school for ever!

Ticky, your cabin sounds beautiful. You must show us some pictures one day!

Brooke, it's wonderful that your parents have managed nearly 60 years of marriage and they truly deserve some celebration. The open house sounds a lovely idea.

DF, your den must be inspirational to work in! I'm glad your daughter has found a job - my son is still looking.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...