Page 5 of 315 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Happening in Your Life?

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Default Re: What's happening in your life?

TBF, your Mom still has you. I guess when you reach a certain age you can kind of expect to loose your peers (at least thats what my Mom tells me) as long as your children are safe and well. We lost my sister about 12 years ago and it still brings my parents to tears. You are there for your Mom and that means everything.

I nearly died about 8 years ago and gained some serious perspective. Sometimes just our surviving can mean more to the people we love then all the gifts, favors and lengths we can go to.

I lost a child 5 years ago and that is something you never get over. Just be there for your Mom and be healthy and let her know that her survival is the best thing she could ever do for you.

and everybody should drink water.. lots of water.. and use sunscreen be healthy!

Ticky, I'm so sorry to hear about your sister and your own child. That must have been devastating. You must be a very strong person to have survived a near death experience yourself and to have coped with such losses.

TBF, I'm sorry to hear that your aunt passed away, and for the other losses you and your mother have had to cope with. I wish her well for continuing recovery.

GA and DF, you have said it - too often we don't appreciate our families and friends enough. I have an inspiring uncle in Portugal. He is 90, and lost his wife, my mum's sister, last year. He phones all the extended members of his family at least once a month in order to keep us all together.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Ticky, I'm sorry to hear that! Just like what GEF said: You must be a very strong person!

And GA/DF&GEF - I agree with it!
    GEF - your uncle is really an inspiring man! I'm sorry for your loss.
    Let somebody love you, before it's too late..

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Ticky, you must indeed be a very strong person to have survived your own near miss and then the death of your child. As a mom I can only imagine how devastating that must have been. Much as we might feel like locking away the 'little horrors' at times we couldn't bear to think of anything happening them. You have my most sincere sympathy.

GEF, your uncle is something else. It takes some doing to be able to keep in touch like that! And from someone who probably had no phone and definitely had no internet growing up!

I must start drinking water.....the sunscreen will wash off after the summer we've had!!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Ticky, I can't imagine how devastating it must be to lose a child. You have my sincere sympathy.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I sometimes feel guilty when I start feeling sorry for myself. There are so many people out there that are going thru rougher times and have lost so much more than I have. Ticky-I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like to lose a child. My deepest sympathy for what you have been thru! GEF-your uncle sounds a lot like our 89 year old neighbor. She is really something else. Been thru so much but continues to be an inspiration to us. She, like your uncle, is wiser than I will ever hope to be and have persevered thru so much. Thanks for the kind words from everyone here. Today we will bring Mom home and hope for better times to come. Thanks!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by DonFan View Post
    In the words of my favorite songwriter:

In a New York Minute
    Everything can change
    And in these days when darkness falls early
    And people rush home to the ones they love
    Better take a fool's advice and take care of your own
    One day they're here, next day they're gone.

So enjoy every moment!
    Exactly DF. Thanks for the perfect words to remind all of us what's
    important. I used to know someone who would say, "What doesn't
    change in a year can change in a day."
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Ticky, I don't know what to say except more power to you for getting through it, even if you can't ever truly get over it.

Life is precious and short; we shouldn't waste it on negativity, that's for sure.

When I was in Ohio with my parents recently visiting his hometown, we also visited my mother's cousin and his wife who currently live near Dayton. The wife had put together the loveliest scrapbook you can imagine, detailing all of the family members for the past 200 years. It held not only photos and birthdates/wedding dates/death dates, but also little brief handwritten anecdotes about each member and sometimes newspaper articles (my great-uncle was a war hero and a movie was made about his battalion in WWII). There was a two-page spread dedicated to a Nancy, but it wasn't me... it was their first child who died at the age of 6 in 1952 from a bad reaction to an inoculation. The memories of all these people, including her, were kept so vivid to everyone by this book - decades later. I hope one day, when I'm older, I can make one like that.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Default What's Happening in Your Life?

Soda, That is kind of what I am doing as well. I inherited my Grandmother and Great Aunt's treasure trove of pictures, documents and letters dating back as far as 200+ years! Suddenly I became the family geneaolgist but I cant tell you how much fun it's been. There was so much information jumbled up in two huge rubbermade boxes I spent the better part of a year just sorting it all and reading old letters.
    One letter was written during the Civil War! It talked about the Yankees and the Rebels and a skirmish that broke out during a womens quilting bee at the local church. What fun it was to read the language and coloquialisms of the day and read first hand accounts of the Civil War! Not to mention diaries of crossing the Oregon Trail and stories of relatives that included names that are now names of local streets and neighborhoods! It was a real suprise to find those connections. Ive made several scrap books of ancestors and historical events related to them.

But I really love the idea of making something more up to date and including stories of the people now. I've been recording the stories told by my Aunts and Uncles and Parents. I lost my oldest relative last fall at the age of 99, but when I did ask him a year ago about certian events he said "I'm 99 years old! I dont remember that stuff!" hehehe
    This is usually my fall/winter activity as I cant get outside in my garden/mudhole by October. So Im making a note of this and filing it till the Rainy season (next week? *grin*)

ticky and Soda, I am so impressed with the work you've done researching your families, and I am prompted to do the same before it's too late. My mother always used to reckon that one of her ancestors was the Lord Mayor of London, and my faher had a great-uncle who was the conductor of a symphony orchestra. I think I will make this my project for the winter (maybe starting next week!)

This evening marks the start of my husband's adventure doing the long distance footpath, GR20, in Corsica. He left earlier, and both of us were a bit choked - it's the longest he's been away since he left the Navy in 1992. It means I'll have free rein to come here though!

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...