Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
I did go back and look for examples of Felder making snarky remarks in interviews but didn't have much luck. Many of the old interviews, particularly on youtube, are no longer available. From memory, the Jeff Prost interview was pretty obnoxious with an obsequious host encouraging Don to air his grievances. However, what this shows me is that Don has been less negative in recent interviews and that's a good thing.

I think most people - even Frey fans - can understand Felder's side of the story because he's written and said so much. It requires a little more effort and imagination to see Frey's side and Henley's side (not always the same thing) but I think it's worth doing.

Or better still, just stop worrying about things you have no influence over (and which took place long ago) and just enjoy the music.
That has been my expereince as well. Outside of the book Felder wrote where he did have some critical things to say, most interviews I've seen are either neutral or positive toward Frey/Henley. He almost seems to go out of his way to compliment them on their talent/abilities, which is unusual for former band member to do about guys who kicked them out of the band. Regarding the Jeff Prost show, that one didn't seem to have negative things said by Felder toward Frey/Henley from what I can recall.

As to you believing that most Frey/Henley fans can empathize with what Felder wrote in the book, I think you are giving them far too much credit. Granted your average fan might, but the hardcore ones who frequent this board seem to take personal umbrage over any little comment.

However I do agree with you that people should look at the situation from Frey's/Henley's point of view also.
I'd bet dollars to donuts they wish they had made Felder a member of the band, but not a full owner.
Sure Frey felt it was important to not have hired hands which they all despised from their own personal experiences. Still, if they could have added Felder like they did with Walsh/Schmit, they could have had total control of the band, and said it will be our way or the highway. Felder (assuming he would have joined under those conditions) would have probably not then worried about how the money was being split, extra expenses Frey/Henley were charging, etc.
Like most people, he would have shrugged his shoulders and accepted the boss will do what they want, and he must go along to get along.
I think the same is true of Meisner and Leadon, as they seemed to resent being told what to do and how to do it from co-equals. If you are all the boss, then how can anyone tell the others what to do
So I think both Frey/Henley regretted having made Felder a full owner. As Frey said in the doc, Felder was worried about how much money Frey was making, instead of focusing on how much money he was making. From their perspective, both Frey/Henley (rightly or wrongly) felt they were entitled to be the boss and get the lions share of the money. Having someone like Felder being a co-owner probably stuck in their craw.

As to your last suggestion, it is much easier said than done. For whatever reason, most of their music now has me thinking about who got screwed over and why.
I certainly do not believe my disappointment as a fan will have a shred of influence over their future decisions. I'd just like to think that if they let go of the past and and move forward together, it might bring me back to where I was. Just enjoying the music for what it was, not thinking about all the dynamics that led to the break up, and them still being at odds with each other.
If Henley had invited Leadon, Meisner, & Felder to the Kennedy Award for example, that might have done the trick. I think it was very petty on his part not to include them, as they were a huge part of the groups success. Still I hope he will someday come around, but I have serious doubts about it.

`