Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Press and Discussion about Felder's New Album "Road to Forever"

Default Re: Press and Discussion about Felder's New Album "Road to Forever"

I absolutely love this album!

In regard to You Don't Have Me, I think its about the way Felder was feeling right after he was fired not the way he feels now. As for Money, I think that's just about the economy in general.

Quote Originally Posted by zeldabjr View Post
    wow those songs are angry!....don't think I will be buying this CD!
    I think you'll be missing out. The other 10 songs on the album are about love and healing

Open up your eyes take the devil from your mind

Stuck on the Border

None of this surprises me. But I don't blame him for writing this any more than I blame Glenn for writing All Those Lies or Don for writing Nobody's Business. I'd rather this than sweep it under the carpet & pretend it didn't happen (although I think we are all very aware of how Felder feels).

I think the lyrics can be aimed at them both. It's hard to address something like that to two people. I do think it is Glenn he dislikes more. I also think it is worth mentioning that Glenn STILL has not made ONE public reference to these events (whereas Henley addressed them in the Rolling Stone cover story).

BUT:

Reading it again, though, it's Felder's status as a 'victim' that comes through most strongly. Once again he utterly fails to admit the possibility that there may have been mistakes made on his part as well.

I'm getting the album for my birthday, but I am guessing that it will not be high on my 'favourites' list.

This album has two bonus tracks. One is Sensuality which is available for download on iTunes and the other is She Runs Free which is available for download on Amazon.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by whitcap View Post
    This album has two bonus tracks. One is Sensuality which is available for download on iTunes and the other is She Runs Free which is available for download on Amazon.
    So they aren't on any of the actual CDs?
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    So they aren't on any of the actual CDs?
    They're only on the digital versions of the album as far as I know.

I really like the new album.

I think Felder's song "You Don't Have Me" is directed somewhat at Don and Glenn but TBH (and I'm probably alone in this) IMO I think he did get a pretty crappy deal in the firing and the way he was just "forgotten" and they were going to just cut him off without anything so he had to sue. Nothing against Don and Glenn (I like them too obviously), but I do think Felder got the short end of the stick on the whole firing deal. I know there is a lot of bias for Henley/Frey but I like to look at it from a band as a whole and to me I think Felder got treated pretty wrongly at the end. I'm not saying Don F is perfect or that he never said things he shouldn't have but I do think he got a raw deal out of it. So I can't blame him much for being bitter about it.

I think Felder's contributions have always been massively underrated in general, and certainly here IMO. I'm not saying he singlehandedly "made" the band but he certainly contributed largely to that era. To some people (not just here, but in general) Don and Glenn ARE the Eagles, but to me I always saw it as a whole package. I think some people would see the band in any lineup as long as those two were there. I know I wouldn't, but that's me and there is nothing wrong with that. But to me it was more than just them that made the band what it was. The sum is much greater than each of it's parts. Don F is a great guitarist and a great songwriter as far as coming up with musical pieces. I realize Hotel California was a collaboration and a result of the whole group, but if it weren't for Don F stumbling onto those opening chords in Malibu, then we wouldn't have ever had Hotel California, and quite frankly IMO the Eagles wouldn't have reached the level they are today. True they were very well known, but it was that song and album that propelled them into superstardom and a supergroup. Again, I'll say that it wasn't just Felder that did that, but if it weren't for Hotel California (which he started), then I truly believe it would be different today as far as popularity or success.

And I don't think anyone here is necessarily being unfair to Felder, it's just that his contributions IMO are underrated and sometimes overlooked. That's JMO though and as I said, it's not anyone in particular. I just think in general and not just here that he's one of the most underrated guitarists period, and more underrated than Joe even. And coming from a Walsh diehard like me - you know that's a serious statement and not something I would say unless I truly believed it as I do believe Joe is underrated too, but I do think Felder is highly underrated and under-appreciated for his guitar playing and contributions to the band.

As WC and others have said, it's only 1-2 songs that are even possibly about the band anyway. FWIW, my fav song so far is "Girls In Black". Love the guitar work on that one.

Again this is all JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by whitcap View Post
    Thanks for the info! I'm downloading them now.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

You can assume whatever you want, but I don't see that this is written about Glenn. It could be about anyone. It could be about Irving, ex-wife, or whoever? It doesn't mention any names...It's only where you want to take it. Don had a lot of things go down on him all at once, not just being canned by the Eagles, but a divorce at the same time...and separated from his children. He must have felt very alone at this point in his life. It's normal to write about it & get things out in a creative way. That's his outlet for feelings, as is for most artists. I try not to see it personal or directed toward any one person in particular.
    Still think the album is really good!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Okay, I’ve listened to the album several times online and that’s what I think we should focus on here since that’s what this thread is for. But, I do want to weigh in on some of the other comments here first. It has been almost 13 years since Felder’s departure from the Eagles – that’s a very long time to keep dwelling on it. Sometimes in life, you just have to accept the things you cannot change and move on – and when I say this, I’m talking about both Felder and many of his fans. While it’s true that we don’t know exactly who the songs are about, Felder has implied on several occasions that there were some songs on the album that address the conflicts in his life during the time of his firing and divorce. So, I don’t think it’s a huge leap to suggest that they are about either Henley, Frey, Azoff, or his ex-wife or some or all of them. So although he may have written these songs several years ago, he chose to put them on this album in 2012. In fairness to Don's fans, maybe they could find it easier to move on if he would. The songs have a very bitter tone to them and all I can say is get over it already!

Now, as far as the album, I can honestly say my impression is that’s it’s 'pretty good'. I certainly like it better than Airborne. However, overall, I don’t think it’s any better than average, so I don’t think I’m going to be buying it. I do really like Fall From Grace and Believe In You a lot. They are both very pretty and melodic. However, overall, I have the same complaint about this album that I have about a lot of albums, which is the lack of variety on it. I am very disappointed that Don didn’t showcase his strength more, which is playing a mean rock guitar. I guess I was just expecting a more uptempo, rockier sound overall. Instead we get mostly slow or mid-tempo songs where the vocals often get overpowered in the mix. Then, in the case of the few songs that do have a faster tempo, I don’t find them to be very melodic. Having said all this, I’m very glad that he did release the album and I wish him much success with it.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    It could be about Irving
    I can see that, and even mentioned it.

it could be about his ex-wife
    Not unless his ex-wife had a sex change operation. Check out the third verse!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten