Page 226 of 273 FirstFirst ... 126176216222223224225226227228229230236 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,260 of 2722

Thread: Discussion of Eagles Documentary "History of the Eagles"

Default Re: Discussion of Eagles Documentary "History of the Eagles"

I don't imagine that Glenn even considered ousting Don H from the band. When Glenn decided to leave he called Don & told him. I have read ( wish I could remember where) that Don had wanted & ecpected that the band would continue for a while longer & had a hard time psychologically & emotionally when they disbanded. Timothy states in the HotE that he called Glenn to ask if it was really over & Glenn told him that it was. Timothy then says that he had been in the band for less than 3 years & he loved it. It was his dream come true. Joe has also stated that he loved being in the Eagles.

It's interesting that once Glenn said that he was quitting the band the others didn't seem to consider that the Eagles would carry on without him. They seem to have come to a screeching halt. At least, I have never seen or heard that they did. Please correct me if anyone has heard otherwise. Don H has said that in retrospect it was the right thing to happen, but he certainly didn't think so at the time.

At that moment in 1980, Glenn was the only one who wanted to disband. While Don Henley later called it a "terrible relief" and realized it was probably for the best, at the time, he has said he was devastated - especially at the way it was handled, with a phone call.

Timothy was upset, as he says in the documentary, and Joe was actually telling people in 1982 that he wasn't even really sure the band had broken up. Don Felder says in his book that he hoped Glenn would reconsider. He never mentions any talk of anyone considering continuing the Eagles without Glenn at that time.

The same was not true years later. In 1990, when Glenn backed out of the reunion and Don Henley was an established solo artist, Felder writers in Heaven and Hell that "someone" suggested they go on to reunite without him. Don Henley put the kibosh on that idea, saying that without Glenn, it would just be "Don Henley and his backing band." However, apparently there was enough talk about it to alarm Glenn, who made his displeasure known at the idea, to put it mildly. He has always considered it his band and the idea of them going on the road and calling themselves the "Eagles" without him appalled him. If the talks about continuing without him were designed to pressure him into changing his mind, it didn't work; he called their bluff and they backed down.

Thankfully, he did reconsider eventually and in 1994, we got Hell Freezes Over!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

That all fits in with the interviews from the early 80s that I've been reading. Glenn calling time was a shock to everyone else and they were waiting/hoping that he'd get the solo album out of his system and come back. The only suggestion of a Glennless Eagles seems to have been when he was a no-show in 1990.

I always said thank goodness Glenn changed his mind because we don't know where the band would be today. We don't know if they would had gotten together later on than 1994. It was them being asked to be in Travis Tritt's video that changed his mind because from the documentary it sounded like he didn't even want to do the video either. He was like, "Well(*let me think. Should I do this*) ok."

I guess the guys didn't want it to end.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 05-09-2014 at 01:20 PM.

Being that Glenn and Don got together and gathered the other two Randy and Bernie, the Eagles was really those 4. Without Glenn and Don atleast together I don't think anyone could have called it the Eagles. Although I believe it took all four in the beggining to be the Eagles.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Stuck on the Border

You know I've probably said this before but it is worth repeating.

I think this documentary has done a LOT of good for this band. While there are some that this doc has put them off in disgust and made them hate this band, it's really opened a lot of eyes (and very young eyes at that!) to this band and has been a refresher for the older crowd. It really has brought them tons of new fans and I know celebs and non celebs on Facebook talking about how they can't stop watching it!! One of my friends in the guitar gear business talked yesterday about how many times he keeps watching it.

I personally loved part 1 of the doc (truly), and had mixed feelings about part 2. Overall I'm very, very glad they put this out and I think it has done a world of good for them overall. I think it was a very wise thing to do and is the best band doc I've ever seen!

Sound City came out around the same time and while it's my favorite non-band music doc, I have to say I enjoyed HOTE more. Apples and Oranges, I know. Sound City for those unaware is about the music recorded at Sound City Studios in CA. But I had chills watching HOTE that first night on Showtime. And while I was less than pleased in some parts of Part 2 (not beating that dead horse again), I was so happy to have seen it and heard the stories (some I knew, some I didn't). And the accompanying concert DVD still brings me joy all the time and I love watching it all the time!!!

Border Troubadour

To whoever mentioned Henley and Glenn not bearing to be in the same state as each other - didn't they insist that for the Eagles Live CD they produced it on different coasts?!

Edit - Might as well ask since we're headed down that road: what's Henley and Frey's relationship like these days? Also, I take it Felder's relationship with the two is now more disappointment / bad memories than out and out hatred?

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    To whoever mentioned Henley and Glenn not bearing to be in the same state as each other - didn't they insist that for the Eagles Live CD they produced it on different coasts?!

Edit - Might as well ask since we're headed down that road: what's Henley and Frey's relationship like these days? Also, I take it Felder's relationship with the two is now more disappointment / bad memories than out and out hatred?
    When Eagles Live was remixed in Florida, Frey stayed in California. He refused to be in the same room. He had basically already left. He sent them his parts by FedEx.

Given that none of us know Frey, Henley & Felder personally I am not sure that we can speculate on their relationships with each other now. From what I can tell Frey & Henley have the same brotherly relationship & business relationship they have had since they reformed.

With Felder you only have to read his interviews & listen to a particular song (You Don't Have Me) to get a sense of the bitterness, which pretty much amounts to hatred, he feels for Frey in particular. How do they feel about him? I don't know. I do know that Henley only refers to him as Mr Felder & Frey barely hid his contempt in HOTE.

Stuck on the Border

I think part of the Felder stuff may be marketing. He has a CD, tour and book to sell and as far as the media and general public are concerned, the most interesting thing about him is he was fired from the Eagles. Talking about it gets publicity and if that generates more sales, he receives validation as well as more money. In contrast, the Eagles tour can be marketed without any reference to Felder.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

You hit it on the head, UTW! What's the line from Henley's song? "Just give me something - something I can use." The dirty laundry between Felder and the band sells the media that also pushes Felder's album and tours. To get one, it includes the other, and so it gets talked about ad nauseam.

As for Glenn and Don H., in the doc others talked about the tension and differences between them. Bill Symczyk, JD Souther, Irving, just to name a few. As I said before, my opinion is that between the two of them, they resolved their issues with each other, mostly, back in the 80's, and because the understanding and forgiveness is there, on both sides, it's not an issue anymore. With true forgiveness, your feelings about what happened change. If it doesn't, it's not true forgiveness, it's something you're still working on. It's my humble opinion (and purely speculation) that this is why Glenn and Don themselves downplayed it in the documentary and in the many interviews they've done since the 90's.

As for now, I figure I have family members that I love dearly and would go to the wall for. It doesn't mean they don't still annoy me to no end and cause me to have periods of time where I need a break from them. I have friends and co-workers that are the same. Perhaps it's the same for Glenn and Don. It's not perfect, but it works, for them, the rest of the band, and the fans.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.