Page 79 of 148 FirstFirst ... 296975767778798081828389129 ... LastLast

Thread: Fleetwood Mac

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Default Re: Fleetwood Mac

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Just for fun, here's a clip from the 1978 Grammys broadcast of Fleetwood Mac winning Album of the Year (beating the Eagles' Hotel California, alas!):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuyWo01tCkQ

I love the crimped hair on Chris and on Lindsey's g-friend - so cute!
    David- I think I'm David Crosby.
    Stephen- I'm pretty sure I'm Stephen Stills
    Graham- and I know I'm Neil Young.

NMB, I love you! CSN, Fleetwood Mac, and an Eagles mention all rolled into one! I've seen the shorten version where CSN just says Fleetwood Mac, but not the long version. How cool that Stephen Stills is the one to say Eagles - Hotel California! Stephen looks great in a tux!

I believe that Lindsey's girlfriend there was Carol Ann Harris.

NMB, you really made my day here!
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

AG, you're such a cool kid I'm glad you enjoyed the clip.

I wonder if the guy accompanying Christine McVie was the fellow who inspired "You Make Lovin' Fun" - for years, I thought she wrote it about Dennis Wilson but they didn't get together until 1978.

OT: There was going to be a film about the Chris-Dennis relationship a while back, but it's since gone kaput: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/53158

I read Carol Ann's book "Storms" a few years ago. It was interesting, but it actually made me dislike Lindsey for awhile. She claims he was physically abusive to her and Stevie.

AG, you're such a cool kid I'm glad you enjoyed the clip.

I wonder if the guy accompanying Christine McVie was the fellow who inspired "You Make Lovin' Fun" - for years, I thought she wrote it about Dennis Wilson but they didn't get together until 1978.

OT: There was going to be a film about the Chris-Dennis relationship a while back, but it's since gone kaput: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/53158

I read Carol Ann's book "Storms" a few years ago. It was interesting, but it actually made me dislike Lindsey for awhile. She claims he was physically abusive to her and Stevie.
    Aw thanks .

I've always heard that the guy that inspired You Make Loving Fun was the band's lighting director. She dated him aroundthe time of her divorce from John. (Talk about a blow to poor John's ego!)

I've not read Carol's book, though I've heard about some of the stuff Lindsey might have did. (I don't know whetheror not it's true).
    -Kim-

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

I don't know if it's true either. We'll have to wait for Stevie's book I guess, if I live to see the day!

I was reading some reviews of Ken Caillat's book on the making of Rumours, and apparently John McVie was verbally abusive towards Chris! So geez, it's hard to be starry-eyed about anyone.

I don't know if it's true either. We'll have to wait for Stevie's book I guess, if I live to see the day!

I was reading some reviews of Ken Caillat's book on the making of Rumours, and apparently John McVie was verbally abusive towards Chris! So geez, it's hard to be starry-eyed about anyone.
    Us Mac fans can only hope that Stevie writes an autobiography.

I didn't know that about John. I have a hard time picturing shy, quiet John being like that when he's sober, but with alcohol and the coke, I can understand. (Yes, John is my favorite of the band)
    -Kim-

Just for fun, here's a clip from the 1978 Grammys broadcast of Fleetwood Mac winning Album of the Year (beating the Eagles' Hotel California, alas!):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuyWo01tCkQ
    Oh well, if you gotta lose to somebody...

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

NMB, love that clip! Thanks!

I sure our fearless leader here knows whether all of that's true or not.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Took me a while to get to this, sorry!

Christine did indeed write "You Make Lovin' Fun" about the lighting director. His name is Curry Grant.

As far as Carol Ann Harris' book and Lindsey's physical abuse... none of that can be confirmed. It's her word against his.

There is only one confirmed instance of Lindsey being abusive to Stevie Nicks, and that's at the confrontation they had when he left the band in 1988. It occurred at Christine McVie's house. Lindsey told the band that he couldn't tour with them for Tango in the Night, that he couldn't handle the craziness. The band was furious, but Stevie especially so. She lunged at Lindsey with fists flying, screaming at him, beating on him... but instead of just shoving her off of him or restraining her, he totally lost it and wound up trying to choke her. You can read about it in Mick Fleetwood's book, and John and Christine have confirmed it.

As far as John McVie being abusive towards Chris while drunk, it is confirmed that he was verbally abusive to her - he himself admits that. He was not big on cocaine, but he was an alcoholic, and I wouldn't be surprised if he escalated into physical violence while on a bender.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Soda, I have a muscial question for you which you may find tedious but I'm interested.

You would know of the huge divisions amongst Genesis fans regarding B.C. (before Collins) and A.G. (after Gabriel) - those are my terms by the way. Is there similar hostility from fans of the Peter Green/blues era towards the Stevie/Lindsey era? Do those fans think like some very vocal (alleged) Gabriel fans that Stevie & Lindsey 'ruined' Fleetwood Mac & turned them into 'pop stars' etc etc?

My own view on this is that if you claim to like a band you should appreciate all eras. Have a preference, by all means, but don't dismiss the rest as 'rubbish' or whatever. I have only heard Albatross & Oh Well from the early days so I can't comment. I saw them play Oh Well, in fact. I thought it was great.

I know that there are some Green era purists. They want the blues dtuff only and none of the "pop" stuff. They compare Stevie's singing to a goat. (Some of my music friends are like this). I personally like all eras, except the Time album. (Country Fleetwood Mac, no thanks!) I'm also the same way with Genesis.
    -Kim-