Thread: Remembering Glenn Frey

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Default Re: Remembering Glenn Frey

Here's an article about, Glenn, the friend.
    http://www.desmoinesregister.com/sto...frey/79120548/

News broke on Jan. 18 that Glenn Frey, guitarist and singer of American rock band the Eagles, died due to complications from rheumatoid arthritis, ulcerative colitis and pneumonia.

Frey carved a name for himself as a co-founder of the Eagles, solo musician and actor. He sang lead vocals on numerous hits in the ‘70s, including “Take It Easy,” “Tequila Sunrise” and “Lyin’ Eyes.”

In between writing and recording music, Frey cultivated a friendship with a pair of Iowans: longtime Iowa Hawkeye football commentator and Kansas City Chiefs hall of famer Ed Podolak and tenured Iowa businessman Gary Kirke.

Podolak became friends with Frey in the early ‘80s while both were living in the Aspen, Colo., area. The two met through mutual friend and musician Jimmy Buffett. Podolak said he was at Buffett’s house when Frey, who at the time lived at the property next door, decided to stop by with his guitar.

“From that point on, Glenn and I became terrific friends,” Podolak said. “He was just so enjoyable to be around.”

During their friendship, Podolak said he and Frey traveled and played golf together.

“He was just a great family man and all-around great person,” Podolak said. “An entertainer on and off the stage.”

Kirke connected with Frey when his company, KVI, sponsored the High Country Shootout golf tournament in Colorado that Frey and Podolak held annually.

Frey traveled to Des Moines to play private parties for Kirke on two separate occasions. The first, in 1993, was at Val Air Ballroom for Kirke’s 50th birthday party. Kirke titled*the event “Hearts and Harleys.”

When asked to describe it, he said Val Air was "packed." Frey’s set that evening*included both Eagles and solo material.

“I (invited) all my high school buddies and everybody who was my age, turning 50 that year, ” Kirke said. “It was a blast."

The second show, which took place at Val Air Ballroom in 1999, came as a result of Kirke attending the first “Tiger Jam,” a fundraiser held by the Tiger Woods Foundation. Kirke said the Eagles played the event and after the performance he and his wife, Joan, went to an auction with Frey.

Being auctioned off was an opportunity to play golf with Tiger Woods at his home golf course.

“Glenn came up to us and talked to my wife, Joan, and said ‘They’re not biddin’ this thing up. You guys gotta bid this up,’” Kirke said. “Finally, he talked my wife into going (up) to $95,000. I about fell over. Glenn said, ‘I’ll do you guys a free concert if you bid this up.’”

Kirke won the bid and*Frey held up his end of the bargain, returning for another private show in Des Moines.

Frey played his last show in Des Moines with the Eagles at Wells Fargo Arena on Sept. 6, 2014. The show was part of the "History of the Eagles” tour that ran until summer 2015. Yhe band’s “Greatest Hits (1971-1975)” record remains*one of the best selling releases of all time, with around 42 million copies purchased.

Tributes from musicians such as Bob Seger and Bruce Springsteen poured in following the news of Frey’s death.

“The Eagles were one of the greatest rock bands — still to this day —*that ever existed,” Podolak said.
    There's a photo which I will post in Frey Fever shortly.
    Last edited by AlreadyGone95; 01-25-2016 at 07:23 PM.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time