Page 29 of 86 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979 ... LastLast

Thread: Kennedy Centre Honorees

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Default Re: Kennedy Centre Honorees

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    I'd love to see Heartache Tonight performed - it was co-written by Henley and Frey (with JDS and Pete Seger) and it'd be great if Pete Seger performed the song but like everyone else I have no idea what songs and performing artists make the cut and/or why. I'd also like to see New Kid in Town, HC and Desperado. At the end of the day, I'll be happy with whatever happens because it's a distinctive recognition that honors Glenn, Don H, Joe and Timothy in a very memorable and meaningful way.
    It was Bob Seger, not Pete Seeger, who cowrote Heartache Tonight.

I would like to see a song which featured each of the 4 guys on lead vocals originally. (Hotel California, Take It Easy, In The City, and I Can't Tell You Why for example. Though, I would prefer New Kid in Town, Already Gone or Heartache Tonight over Take It Easy). I think that would be a fair way to honor all 4 guys.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    It was Bob Seger, not Pete Seeger, who cowrote Heartache Tonight.

I would like to see a song which featured each of the 4 guys on lead vocals originally. (Hotel California, Take It Easy, In The City, and I Can't Tell You Why for example. Though, I would prefer New Kid in Town, Already Gone or Heartache Tonight over Take It Easy). I think that would be a fair way to honor all 4 guys.
    LOL!!! Pete Seeger - Peter Paul and Mary - what was I thinking! Thanks for the correction.

Yes good point - songs featuring all 4 guys on lead vocals would be ideal.

At the end of the day the music and performing artists chosen are up to the powers that be - I'm just going to be glad to see them honored and try not to cry too much that Glenn isn't there to be honored for his tremendous talent and achievement along with Don, Joe, and Timothy. It is comforting to know Glenn was aware of the honor and I'm sure it meant quite a lot to him and of course, his family, who I imagine will be there to accept the award on his behalf.

Stuck on the Border

I think I remember an interview with Don Henley where he said that the artists being honored often have some idea who will play as sometimes the contact may be through them. It would have been during his promotion of Cass County.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I think I remember an interview with Don Henley where he said that the artists being honored often have some idea who will play as sometimes the contact may be through them. It would have been during his promotion of Cass County.
    Thanks UTW - that makes a lot of sense actually.

One thing I'm really curious about is whether a woman will be one of the artists and if so which song she'll do. I thought Heart's performance of Stairway to Heaven for the Led Zeppelin honors a few years ago was supremely well done and LZ appeared to be impressed as well.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I was watching that interview yesterday. It was the Studio 10 interview he did with that Australian reporter(also the same interview where he tells the reporter his 40 year old eldest child was getting married). I remembered him saying that. I was surprised about that statement since I always thought the people at the KCH pick who comes since its suppose to be a surprised. If you watched any of the KCH specials. Unless the honorees reaction are fake, they are surprised at who pays tribute to them. Billy looked very surprised when he saw Don come on the stage. Led Zeppelin were surprise to see Jason Bonham there. Carole King was surprised at the people who paid tribute to her last year especially when Aretha Franklin came on stage.

SO they probably have a little say in who should come and KCH people do the rest. I'm always surprised at the performer who are picked to pay tribute to different honorees. So I'm surprised and shocked that they are fans of their work and some I know they were great friends.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 06-11-2016 at 05:02 PM.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

LOL!!! Pete Seeger - Peter Paul and Mary - what was I thinking! Thanks for the correction.

Yes good point - songs featuring all 4 guys on lead vocals would be ideal.

At the end of the day the music and performing artists chosen are up to the powers that be - I'm just going to be glad to see them honored and try not to cry too much that Glenn isn't there to be honored for his tremendous talent and achievement along with Don, Joe, and Timothy. It is comforting to know Glenn was aware of the honor and I'm sure it meant quite a lot to him and of course, his family, who I imagine will be there to accept the award on his behalf.
    You aren't the first person to get those two mixed up, indeed quite a few people made that mistake in embarrassing circumstances a few years ago!

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/pete-...seger-twitter/

Poor Bob! Fortunately IIRC I think he was more amused than anything else.

Agreed about Glenn, very nicely put.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    You aren't the first person to get those two mixed up, indeed quite a few people made that mistake in embarrassing circumstances a few years ago!

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/pete-...seger-twitter/

Poor Bob! Fortunately IIRC I think he was more amused than anything else.

Agreed about Glenn, very nicely put.
    Oh my JCL - thanks for the link to the Pete vs Bob Seeger/Seger mixup - I had no idea and yes, poor Bob. Off topic but I have to say I adore Pete Seeger. Such a fantastic singer, musician & performer. I also loved Mary Travers and was saddened when she passed away she was truly an inspirational, elegant, kind & gentle spirit lady! Can only imagine how wonderful it would have been to see this iconic trio in concert they harmonized so perfectly and were each gifted solo artists as well.

Allbest,

Dawn

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Thanks UTW - that makes a lot of sense actually.

One thing I'm really curious about is whether a woman will be one of the artists and if so which song she'll do. I thought Heart's performance of Stairway to Heaven for the Led Zeppelin honors a few years ago was supremely well done and LZ appeared to be impressed as well.
    Women sang lead on all of the songs honoring Nirvana at the 2014 RnRHoF ceremony - Joan Jett, Lorde, Kim Gordon, Annie Clark (St. Vincent) and it was excellent. I can see at least one woman singing an Eagles song at the Kennedy Center Honors.

Maybe Trisha. She did a great job on New Kid In Town. Miranda might come back this year.

Just to clarify, it is Peter Yarrow who was part of Peter, Paul & Mary.