Page 33 of 78 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Corona Virus

Yeah UTW - I agree with you, science and facts no longer seem to be en vogue with some people - unfortunately, conspiracy theories, alternative facts, and denial seem to be more acceptable for some during these strange times. Hopefully, common sense will prevail.

I haven't posted an update on my brother's family recently, so here goes. They were all tested on June 11th. My brother and his step-son both tested negative at last, but his wife still tested positive. So another week of quarantine for all of them. My sister-in-law was tested again this past Thursday and they are waiting for the results. I am so in hopes that she's negative. I know they are all mentally 'over it', now if the 'physical' will just cooperate.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I'm glad your family are recovering Dreamer, and I hope your sister in law has now tested negative. We are still only in phase 2 of reopening, they are very cautious here! Phase 3 will be next Monday when we will be able to go to restaurants, church services and hair salons. Pubs and bars can open for their restaurant facility but not to drink only. While deaths daily deaths are down to between 0 and 5, and cases diagnosed only in double figures they don't want to rush things. Apparently we only have a 1 in a million chance of catching it randomly (ie if we aren't a contact of someone who has it). But we have to keep our borders closed.
    It amazed me that on FB I read of somebody driving from a southern state to a Northern one in a few days when the virus is so prevalent in the south. And someone in a southern state who when they said that cases in Florida were increasing a family member responded 'Well come up here to us!!). IMHO that would be sheer madness.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

GA - I think the numbers prove that taking things slow like your country and others are doing is the smart way to contain this virus.

And thanks for your well-wishes. Unfortunately, my sister-in-law got her test results back yesterday and she is still positive. It is very puzzling how long this thing can stick around for some and hardly affect others at all. As frustrating as it is, my brother's family is coping pretty well considering how long they have been dealing with this now. We're just crossing our fingers that her next test will be good news.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

UTW and Dreamer - I could not agree more.
    Not to get political but the Pres. is blaming the low turn out for his rally on tv coverage warning people they could get the virus if they attended. Everyone who attended had to sign a paper saying they would not sue him if they get the virus. Just MHO, but I don't think it would hold up in Court.
    Gov.Cuomo said they will bar people from Florida and other highly infected stated from entering New York. I think our Governor is doing the same thing. It took forever for NY & NJ to get the cases as low as we are now. Malls, salons and spas can open tomorrow. DMV offices open on the 29th. We (NJ) entered Phase 2 on the 15th. It is rare to see someone without a mask here. You can't enter anywhere without one and, it is strictly enforced. I have to say it shocks me when I see tv footage of people down south without masks. It appears more not wearing them then those who do. Just me but I don't get it. I know it is hot there but it is hot here now too. Stay safe everyone.

No longer in Southern California.We're now in Northen New York, the St. Lawrence Valley. :)

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    UTW and Dreamer - I could not agree more.
    Not to get political but the Pres. is blaming the low turn out for his rally on tv coverage warning people they could get the virus if they attended. Everyone who attended had to sign a paper saying they would not sue him if they get the virus. Just MHO, but I don't think it would hold up in Court.
    Gov.Cuomo said they will bar people from Florida and other highly infected stated from entering New York. I think our Governor is doing the same thing. It took forever for NY & NJ to get the cases as low as we are now. Malls, salons and spas can open tomorrow. DMV offices open on the 29th. We (NJ) entered Phase 2 on the 15th. It is rare to see someone without a mask here. You can't enter anywhere without one and, it is strictly enforced. I have to say it shocks me when I see tv footage of people down south without masks. It appears more not wearing them then those who do. Just me but I don't get it. I know it is hot there but it is hot here now too. Stay safe everyone.

Our Gov. Newsom here in California has reinstated the mandatory mask requirement when out in public. I'm so glad!!
    We were in Sprout's last week doing some grocery shopping and most everyone was wearing a mask. There was one woman, though that not only wasn't wearing a mask, she was chomping on gum spreading her nasty spores all over the store!

Masks! Science has proven wearing a mask is the best way to prevent spreading COVID 19. So why isn't anyone in my town wearing them? (I wear one, my husband wears one.) The employees of a business are mandated to wear a mask. MANDATED. Yet, here in Xenia, that seems to not be the case. My husband walked into our local Ace Hardware yesterday. He said the young man by the door asked, "May I help you, sir?" Husband replied, "Not unless you're wearing a mask!" I dread going to another store tonight, because the last time we were there only about a quarter of the workers were wearing masks. I mean, most didn't even have masks hanging around their necks. They weren't even pretending!

I go to work every day. I take my temperature and sign in at the door. I wear a mask. Mind you, this is a big building with 10 people in it with cubicles in the office area (the rest is mostly a big warehouse and printing area). Of those 10 people, I am related to 4 of them, 3 by blood. When I step outside my cubicle, I pop up my mask from around my neck. If someone comes to my cubicle opening for a discussion, I pop up my mask from around my neck. It ain't rocket science, people!

The Governor has announced that this area (this and 3 surrounding counties) is on the verge of becoming a hot spot for COVID 19. In this county, two zip codes stand out. One zip code is Wright Patt Air Force Base. The other? Xenia, Ohio. Gee, I wonder why?

(Sorry, just had to rant... It's totally ridiculous!)

Dreamer, I hope your sister-in-law gets a negative test soon! I've read where the effects of COVID 19 can linger for a long, long time.

Stuck on the Border

Here's my confession: I've yet to wear a mask in public!

One thing that is confusing is that the rules vary so much from place to place. Even the different countries that make up the UK have different rules which makes it tricky to remember what you can do where and when. And they keep changing.

For a long time, the recommendation in England was not to wear a mask. We were told that the science was inconclusive and that wearing masks might lead people to feel they could relax social distancing. Also, with masks in short supply for health care workers, there was concern about additional demand. However, as the rules are relaxed, we are now being instructed to wear masks when social distancing isn't possible, such as on public transport and in shops. I can't tell you if people are following this because my brain is still trained for social distancing and there isn't a need for masks when I go for a walk up the hill.

It feels like the UK is finally getting there. There are a few outbreaks (a chicken-processing company in north Wales has over 100 cases) but today's news is that a further 15 deaths were recorded yesterday for the whole of the UK and in the county where I live (population 193,000), it's been 10 days since there was a confirmed new case.

It's good news that the Tulsa rally attracted so few attendees. It shows that the message is getting through about the risks of a large, indoor gatherings.

Quote Originally Posted by CAinOH View Post
    Masks! Science has proven wearing a mask is the best way to prevent spreading COVID 19. So why isn't anyone in my town wearing them? (I wear one, my husband wears one.) The employees of a business are mandated to wear a mask. MANDATED. Yet, here in Xenia, that seems to not be the case. My husband walked into our local Ace Hardware yesterday. He said the young man by the door asked, "May I help you, sir?" Husband replied, "Not unless you're wearing a mask!" I dread going to another store tonight, because the last time we were there only about a quarter of the workers were wearing masks. I mean, most didn't even have masks hanging around their necks. They weren't even pretending!

I go to work every day. I take my temperature and sign in at the door. I wear a mask. Mind you, this is a big building with 10 people in it with cubicles in the office area (the rest is mostly a big warehouse and printing area). Of those 10 people, I am related to 4 of them, 3 by blood. When I step outside my cubicle, I pop up my mask from around my neck. If someone comes to my cubicle opening for a discussion, I pop up my mask from around my neck. It ain't rocket science, people!

The Governor has announced that this area (this and 3 surrounding counties) is on the verge of becoming a hot spot for COVID 19. In this county, two zip codes stand out. One zip code is Wright Patt Air Force Base. The other? Xenia, Ohio. Gee, I wonder why?

(Sorry, just had to rant... It's totally ridiculous!)

Dreamer, I hope your sister-in-law gets a negative test soon! I've read where the effects of COVID 19 can linger for a long, long time.
    Everyone in my family wears one. I don't go out shopping, but they've talked about how some people won't wear them. If you are in a store/building/etc, and honestly in any public setting around people - wear the damn mask! Some people don't wear it just because the POTUS they love so much makes them feel like not wearing one. Someone on my Facebook said they are boycotting businesses that require them. Well, when I get back out I might just boycott businesses that DON'T require them, especially if their employees don't wear one. Masks DO make a difference - there for a reason. Tired of seeing CV made into a game...
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

These days, you don't know who to believe when it comes to if you should wearing mask. Some say you shouldn't because it doesn't help, you will still catch it. Some say you should.

Our governor got so much flake for not wearing a mask to an officer's funeral. He got very defensive because he thought people were mad that he went to the funeral. They weren't mad that he went, people were mad that he wasn't wearing a mask or social distancing. You tell us to wear it when you don't wear it. People think (other than it violates my "constitutional rights" to wear a mask or whatever they say why they don't) why should I wear it if the governor doesn't wear it. You're not setting an example.

I always wear a mask when we go out and if I buy something I will clean it before it goes into the house. I wear a mask when I'm walking around my office. I don't know who in my office would have it. Half of the people in my office don't give a damn and don't wear them. Also what pisses me off is when they tell me why am I wearing my mask in my office. You are taking this too serious. For one thing. You walk in my office to go to the other side and don't say hello. Second. When you do come in my office to give me something, you don't wear a mask. Third. Our boss has numerous times said to wear a mask and you don't. And you still go into people's offices and talk with 3 or 4 others whens she said don't. I have a right to wear in my mask in my office. If you don't want to wear a mask inside the building or your office, that's your prerogative. Don't tell me to not wear it in my office.

I also don't go into my co-workers' office unless I have to do something for my boss). Other than that, I stay in my office and only come out to warm my food for lunch or go to the bathroom. They have somebody come to our building every day checking our temperatures.

I live with my 63 year old mother and I don't want to get her sick. She took the test and hers came back negative. She wants me to take the test too to see if I have it.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 06-23-2020 at 09:59 AM.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

In CT, we are in phase 2, haircuts are ok, gyms, amusement parks (!?!),hotels, restaurants, museums among other facilities with various regulations, 6ft apart , 50% capacity,masks etc. I am still too Leary to venture out, yet the kids are really getting bored, can't blame them.

Masks are key! It ticks me off now they dismissed their importance early on.
    I had a stretch off from work, so I am unsure what the numbers are now, but it's summer time and already there is an uphill in violence (shootings, stabbings). ER has been busy with the usual ER stuff now, so people are definitely out and about more.

My husband said where he works some people still coming in without a mask! . He said signs everywhere and they waltz in like "oh I forgot!" Sorry, this has been going on for how long now really? One guy came in with just a napkin, unreal.

Dreamer, it is baffling the broad range of asymptomatic and the ones that just can't seem to break free of its grasp. Well wishes to your family.