Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Lost Magic

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Lost Magic

Bernie has said that leaving was "an act of survival". Glenn has said how relieved his parents were when the band broke up because they'd been so worried about him. Randy was finding it hard to balance the demands of band and family. Don Felder welcomed the chance to spend more time with his family. Leaving a band isn't always a bad thing. They were all able to record solo albums where they could write and sing on every track without any squabbles. And we can listen to those solo efforts.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by luna65 View Post
    It's not an uncommon opinion, though, when discussing a band which counts numerous lineups and decades on its' side. I see it all the time in the Pink Floyd and Yes discussion forums I belong to/moderate. Some people are partial to certain eras and some people like every era, every lineup. Some people want artists/bands to return to their previous sound because that's what they liked best. I see it as a function of history and nostalgia beyond considerations of how deeply invested a person might be in a particular fandom. Granted, I love the glory days but I was glad that - for whatever reason - they decided to come back and at least make us happy to be fans again, and openly acknowledges that the history is one which deserves to be lauded. Many bands can't even get to that point because when choosing how and why and whom to tell the tale just leads to further contention.
    Yes, but at some point in this thread it was suggested by someone that he/she doesn't like the songs on The Lon Run. The loss of Randy can't be a huge factor there, because he was never the main writer in the group. Let's use YES as an example...Let's think of someone who really likes Bill Bruford. Bill leaves after Close To The Edge. Then they release TFTO, and this person thinks there are not enough good tunes in there. As a Bill fan he thinks that the loss of Bill is the reason for worse tunes on TFTO, although it was Jon and Steve who wrote most of the tunes on the previous album. I realise that it's not exactly the same thing, because Bill probably had more say in what material was used than Randy in the mid-seventies, when Henley and Frey were becoming "the Gods".

I wasn't suggesting it was entirely analogous (knowing the history of both bands as well as I do) just those type of debates are not at all uncommon in fandom, that's all.
    ...I could have done so many things, baby
    if I could only stop my mind...

Some guys are born to Rimbaud
    some guys breathe Baudelaire
    some guys just got to go and put their rockets everywhere.

Banned

[quote=MaryCalifornia;261103]
    Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    In a 1975 interview with Cameron Crowe, Bernie "admits to twice leaving and rejoining the Eagles".

Now this is interesting. I've always wondered if Randy misplayed it by thinking that if he quit, they would welcome him right back. If it is true that Bernie quit and then came back (especially if he did this more than one time), this could be a dynamic that Randy was expecting to apply to him as well. Do we think Randy left thinking he could come back at any time, or do we think that when he left, he was done with the Eagles forever? Based on his overtures to the band, I'm thinking the former.
    He doesn't seem like the kind to play games. I think when Randy said he had enough, he had actually had enough. Maybe the only reason "overtures" were made later on is because he was feeling nostalgic? Who wouldn't want to recapture the old magic?

Stuck on the Border

I just want to point out that only the first line in the quote box was taken from my post. The speculation about Randy's thoughts wasn't mine.

I honestly think after Randy left he knew he was done with the Eagles. I say an interview with him in the 80's with Gene Clark of the Byrds and Randy like to rock out a bit more than what the Eagles were putting out. He said playing ballads on the bass was pretty boring stuff. But after he left he starting playing acoustic guitar with the Silverados. In the interview he said when he played with Rich and Swan he hadn't played bass in like 8 years. Randy wanted to go off and do his own thing. I do believe he knew it was time, too much madness.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Border Desperado Brooklyn Roads's Avatar

I am so green with this because over the years I always thought Timothy B. Schmit had been with the band during their entire existence. I had no knowledge of who Randy Meisner or Bernie Leadon were up until the last few years. I knew Don Felder had some connection with them, but not to the extent that I know now.

Now that my ears have become more trained on who's voice is who, I can feel something missing without Randy's high register that is lacking in the Long Run (Although Henley can reach some good high notes, too). Timothy, though, did a great job with "I Can't Tell You Why" and I think with that song alone, he became a true Eagle. But, he just doesn't have the same voice as Randy, so the Eagles will never sound quite the same as they did in the beginning.

But, I would have never known this had I not paid closer attention. Now my trained ears can tell the difference.

I personally like them all for different reasons, even if Meisner is my "new" favorite. They each bring something different to the table. It's too bad they couldn't (and still can't) seem to come to some better terms due to their differences.

Well, I've got to go to bed now! Hopefully I haven't caused too much of a ruckus for my first night on here!

Take care, ya'll (Yeah, there's some country in some of us Californians)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Roads View Post
    I am so green with this because over the years I always thought Timothy B. Schmit had been with the band during their entire existence. I had no knowledge of who Randy Meisner or Bernie Leadon were up until the last few years. I knew Don Felder had some connection with them, but not to the extent that I know now.

Now that my ears have become more trained on who's voice is who, I can feel something missing without Randy's high register that is lacking in the Long Run (Although Henley can reach some good high notes, too). Timothy, though, did a great job with "I Can't Tell You Why" and I think with that song alone, he became a true Eagle. But, he just doesn't have the same voice as Randy, so the Eagles will never sound quite the same as they did in the beginning.

But, I would have never known this had I not paid closer attention. Now my trained ears can tell the difference.

I personally like them all for different reasons, even if Meisner is my "new" favorite. They each bring something different to the table. It's too bad they couldn't (and still can't) seem to come to some better terms due to their differences.

Well, I've got to go to bed now! Hopefully I haven't caused too much of a ruckus for my first night on here!

Take care, ya'll (Yeah, there's some country in some of us Californians)
    Welcome!!!
    Once you start listening to "Randy" songs (there's not tons of them so look them up!) you will love his sweet voice.

Obviously you can tell a Don and Glenn song but Randy's sweet voice comes through loud & clear on his songs and in the background vocals.

And again, welcome to the crowd!

Border Desperado Brooklyn Roads's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LuvRandy View Post
    Welcome!!!
    Once you start listening to "Randy" songs (there's not tons of them so look them up!) you will love his sweet voice.

Obviously you can tell a Don and Glenn song but Randy's sweet voice comes through loud & clear on his songs and in the background vocals.

And again, welcome to the crowd!
    About ten years ago, my boyfriend had me download "Hearts on Fire" (he's a little older than me, so it was a song he remembered) and I thought it was a fun, upbeat song. I never watched the video, though, and never quite distinguished him as a former Eagle. He had told me he was in the Eagles, but I didn't realize he'd been there almost to the very end and was a major part of the vocalizations. I just thought he had a very minor role in the group! I was really wrong now that I am reading more about him and his impact on the group. I feel a bit lame for just finding this stuff out now, lol (being that I am such a music fan!)

I am excited to sample some of Randy's solo work besides the standard stuff. I am always on the hunt for some new songs to add to my collection.

And, thanks for the warm welcome

Welcome Brooklyn!

You should check out Randy's:
    Lonesome Cowgirl
    Bad Man (written by Glenn Frey)
    Deep inside My Heart (with Kim Carnes)
    Just to name a few. I think you'd enjoy them.
    You can find them on You Tube. Good Luck.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............