Page 47 of 166 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797147 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles.... 3.0

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Go to the Birthday concert. At least it isn't being billed as 'Eagles'. That is 'Eagles'. The spurious 'family & friends' thing that was seized on by so many turned out to be incorrect.

I guess I don't understand this 'I must see them again' attitude. When Glenn died, they ended for me. Others obviously don't see it that way. They seem not to be even bothered that Glenn won't be there. Well, go with it, then. Just don't ask me to agree with it.
    I'm very bothered that Glenn won't be there and was brought to tears when I saw the video advertising the Festival. I hope they honor him and his amazing legacy as he will always be my favorite.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

You are correct, FP in that my remark about the band being bigger than any of the individual members is being misinterpreted. I'll try to clarify what I meant by responding to Funk 50's comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I totally agree with the first quote, which makes the second quote irrelevant.
    Well, not the way I look at it. You actually reversed the order of my remarks, which also can be perceived as reversing my logic. Others are free to disagree, but in my mind, the ‘Eagles’ do not really exist minus Glenn or Don. I agree with the phrase that Soda used earlier - any attempt to be the Eagles without either of these men is nothing more than ‘Remnants of the Eagles’. I also do believe the band is bigger than any of the individuals. But, since I believe the band died with Glenn, all that remains for me is their legacy, which will outlive all of them and us. An analogy that I’ve used before is that it’s like baking a cake. There are several ingredients in the recipe, and they each contribute to mold the unique and delicious end product. However, some are more essential than others. If you don’t have the main ingredients, you don’t have a cake. You have another food that some people may consume and others will not, but it’s still not a cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    And it doesn't matter how great someone was when they were alive, the living are always more important than the dead.
    Wow! All I can say is you and I apparently have very different value systems. My parents are gone, but, for as long as I am on this earth, they will always be among the most important people that ever touched my life. I have also lost other dear family members and friends, as well as people I admire, that will always remain a very relevant part of my life. I could never presume to know or judge the significance of a deceased person in someone else’s life.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Border Desperado

Well this whole situation is a difficult one for sure. I can definitely see both sides of the situation.

I was not even a huge Glenn fan after watching HOTE, but after he passed and hearing from Don on more than one occasion that Eagles are no more, this felt like a cheap money grab and a betrayal. It felt like,"Ok, we've waited 14 months and 3 weeks since Glenn died, now we can resume". I am not saying this is what they consciously said out loud. Just what it felt like to me.

I have stepped back from it emotionally and don't hate the guys for continuing to play together. Nor do I dislike the fans that will attend the upcoming Eagles concerts, of which there will be plenty I am sure. Personally, I have zero desire to see those 3 play together. It just seems like smoke and mirrors, after all of Don's "thinking out loud" and "that's what they tell me" spiel. Joe and TBS not contributing didn't help. Perhaps if they had been more upfront about it, I would feel differently and maybe in time I will.

I think another thing that contributes greatly to this void is the way Glenn's death was handled and how it came as such a shock. The public were informed he was going in for an elective procedure, a colectomy. He goes into the hospital at the beginning of November 2015, and he should have been out in a week, 10 days max. Nobody hears anything. Next thing we know, it's January 2016 and Glenn has passed away. At that point, Irving decided to make a statement about the dangerous medication for RA, Glenn's pneumonia, how he never made it to surgery,etc.

I think Glenn is completely entitled to his medical information being confidential. But the "he was in a hospital for 2 1/2 months with pneumonia and placed in a coma " is somewhat convoluted. As fans, we are not owed explicit details regarding Glenn's treatment plan. However, you would have thought someone on the PR team would have suggested that they reveal Glenn is unwell by at least December so fans could send their get well wishes and prayers. By not doing this and leaving everyone out in the cold, when Glenn did pass it was a complete shock to everyone. People knew deep down something bad was happening because no news updates had been given on him, but they never expected this.

I am not saying the Eagles reforming is as shocking as Glenn's death, but the secretive way in which it was handled left a lot of fans bewildered and feeling ill once again.

At the very least, this band, Eagles or whatever they call themselves, ought to invest in hiring a new PR firm. The one they have is awful.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

VG, just like a public tribute for Glenn, I think that decisions regarding dissemination of his health info was 100% controlled by his wife and adult children, not the Eagles. From what I have gleaned from interviews, the guys had no idea that he was near death, the Frey family wasn't updating them.

If people want a public tribute, they should write to Cindy, Deacon, and Taylor - explain who you are and why it is important to you that this event take place, and that you (I'm using "you" as is in "one" not you personally VG or anyone else) have a BIG problem with Don, Tim and Joe playing these shows or anything similar until this public event takes place. The Eagles are the ONLY facet of Glenn's life that fans see. The true power is with his spouse. Write to her. We have an address that we know has worked for the guys in the past, we can put it in this thread.

Are Glenn fans reluctant to communicate with Cindy? Has anyone on this board reached out to express their wishes for this public tribute? She has the power. And no, I don't mean to organize the logistics of a concert, but to express her wish that it take place.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesfan View Post
    Henley is definitely playing his financial hand well here in his final chapters. You know he demanded a lot of money to still go out as The Eagles without Frey and the birthday thing is a great way to monetize his 70th...selling out an arena he never could on his own or without special guests.

It's ironic because 10 or 15 years ago, he wasn't much of a draw, but through smart business decisions and marketing, he's become a bigger draw than he has since the late 1980's-early 1990's.

I'd guess an Eagles tour next year is almost inevitable and he's now able to take an even greater percentage of the guarantee as he's the last actual Eagles still in the band with Walsh and TBS hired hands.
    My God, you make Henley sound cold. You really do. That may not be your intention, but that is how your posts read. And I was criticised when I said he seemed to be all about money!

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    My God, you make Henley sound cold. You really do. That may not be your intention, but that is how your posts read. And I was criticised when I said he seemed to be all about money!
    I don't have any intention one way or another, but he and the Eagles at large have always been shrewd businessmen. I'm pretty sure Henley wouldn't go out and reform the Eagles without Frey unless he was able to command a lot of money to do so. And the 70th birthday party is clearly a way to market a big time concert...he wouldn't be selling out American Airlines arena without an angle like that.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesfan View Post
    I don't have any intention one way or another, but he and the Eagles at large have always been shrewd businessmen. I'm pretty sure Henley wouldn't go out and reform the Eagles without Frey unless he was able to command a lot of money to do so. And the 70th birthday party is clearly a way to market a big time concert...he wouldn't be selling out American Airlines arena without an angle like that.
    There's a difference between saying that money is a factor in the concerts happening, and saying that money is the only factor in the concerts happening. I don't doubt that money is a factor, unless something utterly bizarre is happening. However, I don't believe that it is the only factor. Particularly when the language used is accusatory (which hasn't happened for a few pages.)

Note: I'm not saying that you're saying that money is the only factor; your post here just discusses that side of it. But, the last few pages just seem to mention money with not much mention of any other possible motivations.

Banned

I'm happy to except Don's birthday celebration for what it is. It's a wonderful achievement and definitely worthy of celebration.

If he was obsessed with the finances, he wouldn't be on the road with a 15 piece band.

Stuck on the Border

I believe Don has said touring with a 15-piece band means they don't make money but it's a lot of fun. Possibly the summer events are about gettng a big payday so he can continue touring for fun at other times.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I believe Don has said touring with a 15-piece band means they don't make money but it's a lot of fun. Possibly the summer events are about gettng a big payday so he can continue touring for fun at other times.
    Or perhaps he also enjoys Eagles concerts too. That might be part of it.