Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Song Survivor: On the Border

Default Re: Eagles Song Survivor: On the Border

Ol' 55

I like this song better than most but I want to save James Dean and Good Day In Hell right now.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Border Rebel

The Best Of My Love

Ok, now this is getting harder to choose, but I am voting for James Dean. I love all the remaining songs, but had to pick something.

So upset about "My Man"!

Oh well, especially today....

I cast my vote for Good Day in Hell.

Ain't no such thing!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Best Of My Love

Stuck on the Border

I'm choosing Good Day in Hell this time. I'm sorry that My Man has gone - I love Bernie's voice on that.

As an aside, although the thread title and initial post refer to the songs, my take is that it is the album version that we are voting on. Given that, there is no "chemistry" between Felder and Walsh as one was barely there and the other not at all. In contrast, Bernie was a full and founding member of the group.

I re-read the OTB part of Felder's book and he makes no mention of playing on anything other than Good Day in Hell and Already Gone so I assume that's it. From other sources, my understand is that Already Gone had already been recorded and Felder added a second lead guitar to it (the first being Glenn's) and that with Good Day in Hell he was brought in to play something that had already been composed and played live by someone else.

Voting for Ol '55. Not my cup of tea. In fact I liked some eliminated songs (esp. You Never Cry Like a Lover) more than this. The rest of the songs I like.
    The chemistry... nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I'm choosing Good Day in Hell this time. I'm sorry that My Man has gone - I love Bernie's voice on that.

As an aside, although the thread title and initial post refer to the songs, my take is that it is the album version that we are voting on. Given that, there is no "chemistry" between Felder and Walsh as one was barely there and the other not at all. In contrast, Bernie was a full and founding member of the group.

I re-read the OTB part of Felder's book and he makes no mention of playing on anything other than Good Day in Hell and Already Gone so I assume that's it. From other sources, my understand is that Already Gone had already been recorded and Felder added a second lead guitar to it (the first being Glenn's) and that with Good Day in Hell he was brought in to play something that had already been composed and played live by someone else.
    Are you referring to me? Because it seems like you are. I was the one who talked about Walsh and Felder's chemistry.

I did not know that it was based on album only! I thought, just generally what I like. The thing is, if it is album version based, I don't like any of the songs. Unlike so many here, I like live versions way more than album versions. I love the rawness and differences they make. That is what I meant by chemistry. I knew Walsh wasn't there for the recording of the album (well that is a given). But in the live versions? Obviously many are there with him and those particular performances I absolutely adore!

Soda (or any other moderator), can we vote based on live versions as well, or are we considering album versions only?
    The chemistry... nuff said

Stuck on the Border

Cosec, yes, I was responding to you because I was surprised to see references to live versions. When the songs from a specific album are listed in order, I thought it was implied that we were considering the recordings on that album. That way, everyone is listening to to the same, readily available recording. I'm sure the moderators will clarify.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Ive had a miserable Easter with both myself and my poor husband suffering from a rotten dose that I think is bordering on flu - he has slept the most of the last 3 days and I've been suffering since yesterday afternoon. Now the 14 year old is displaying symptoms (- GOD he was the two year old when I first joined the Border!!) -so I think I might as well run with Good Day in Hell too

And FWIW, I would assume we compare the versions of the songs on the album we are discussing as opposed to any version. That way it creates a level playing field. Its what I've done anyway. Deeamer? Soda?
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP