Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eagles Hell Freezes Over CD Elimination Game Starts 8/4/19 at 8:00 p.m.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Eagles Hell Freezes Over CD Elimination Game Starts 8/4/19 at 8:00 p.m.

Soda and I were talking and wanted to do something to celebrate this as the 25th anniversary year of Hell Freezes Over. We decided to experiment with a new game that is similar to the Survivor game in that all the songs on the album will be eliminated until there is only one standing. However, there are differences that are outlined below. We tried a similar version of this several years ago, but I am going to 'tweek' the rules somewhat to slow the game down some. So we’ll give this a shot and see how it works out.

Here's the way it is going to work. Every song on the HFO CD will begin the game with 15 points. Each time you post, you will select one song that you want to save and add one point to it; then, you will select one other song that you want to eliminate and subtract two points from it. When a song reaches zero (0) it is eliminated from the game. Anyone can play at anytime except you must allow at least three other players to post before you can play again. Before you post, you must first check the previous player’s post to make sure they tallied the score correctly in their post. If it is necessary to make a correction, clearly state why you are doing so in your post. Then, list the song that you are giving a point to and the song that you are subtracting two points from. You must then copy all of the songs in play from the previous post to your post and revise the tally to reflect your vote. Once a song reaches 0, you can eliminate it from the list. The game ends once there is only one song remaining. I know this sounds a little complex, but it's really not hard once you get the hang of it.

Here’s an example of how it will work:

Songs in the game from the start:

Song A – 15
    Song B – 15
    Song C – 15
    Song D – 15
    Song E – 15

Player 1 - Sue

Sue chooses the following songs:

Song B: +1
    Song E: –2

===========

Sue copies the song list from the first post and adds 1 point to Song B and subtracts 2 points from Song E.

Song A – 15
    Song B – 16
    Song C – 15
    Song D – 15
    Song E – 13

Sue #1 must now wait for 3 players to vote before she can vote again.

Player 2 - John

John chooses the following songs:

Song C: +1

===========

John checks to make sure Sue tallied her votes properly, and then copies the song list from Sue's post and puts in his votes - adds 1 point to Song C and subtracts 2 points from Song E.

Song A – 15
    Song B – 16
    Song C – 16
    Song D – 15
    Song E – 11

John must now wait for 3 players to vote before he can vote again.

Player 3 - Bob

Bob chooses the following songs:

Song E: +1
    Song A: –2

===========

Bob checks to make sure John tallied his votes properly, and then copies the song list from John's post and puts in his votes - adds 1 point to Song E and subtracts 2 points from Song A.

Song A – 13
    Song B – 16
    Song C – 16
    Song D – 15
    Song E – 12

Bob must now wait for 3 players to vote before he can vote again.

Player 4 - Meg

Meg chooses the following songs:

Song D: +1

===========

Meg checks to make sure Bob tallied his votes properly, and then copies the song list from Bob's post and puts in her votes - adds 1 point to Song D and subtracts 2 points from Song E.

Song A – 13
    Song B – 16
    Song C – 16
    Song D – 16
    Song E – 10

Meg must now wait for 3 players to vote before she can vote again.

Sue (Player 1) is now eligible to vote again since 3 other players have voted since she played.

Player 5 - Gail

Gail chooses the following songs:

Song A: –2

===========

Gail checks to make sure Meg tallied her votes properly, and then copies the song list from Meg's post and puts in her votes - adds 1 point to Song C and subtracts 2 points from Song A.

Song A – 11
    Song B – 16
    Song C – 17
    Song D – 16
    Song E – 10

Gail must now wait for 3 players to vote before she can vote again.

John (Player 2) is now eligible to vote again since 3 other players have voted since he played.

__________________________________________________ _________________________

I thought we could use today to do a trial run for those who want to make sure they get the hang of it before the game officially begins this evening. The only difference is that since this is a trial, you do not have to wait for 3 players to vote before you can vote again. I'll monitor everyone's post and correct it if there are any errors.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Default Re: Eagles Hell Freezes Over CD Elimination Game Starts 8/4/19 at 8:00 p.m.

Okay - I'll kick this off. I'm going to pick up from where the example above leaves off ...

Song A: - 2

==========

Song A – 9
    Song B – 16
    Song C – 18
    Song D – 16
    Song E – 10

(I copied Player 5 - Gail's list from the example above and added 1 point to Song C and subtracted 2 points from Song A.)

So - whose going to be the first brave one to give this a try?

Default Re: Eagles Hell Freezes Over CD Elimination Game Starts 8/4/19 at 8:00 p.m.

Kinda looks like that "New Math" they tried to teach me in 1971!
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

FF - It's really not hard after you do it a few times - I'll do another one by copying the list from the post with the last vote (my previous post #2) and pasting it in this post. Then, I pick my two choices and revise the list to reflect my new choices ...

Song E: +1
    Song A: - 2

==========

Song A – 7
    Song B – 16
    Song C – 18
    Song D – 16
    Song E – 11

Sorry, Dreamer. Just glancing at all the letters and pluses and minuses, and found it amusing. I don't participate in these games because I have too hard of a time choosing one song over another, and my stupid work schedule.
    I was just teasing you, and didn't mean to put more work on you. I know that running these games is a lot of trouble, and always enjoy reading the picks and arguments! I appreciate all your efforts!
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Thank you, FF - but no apologies needed. I knew you were kidding and didn't take offense - promise. Actually, I was thinking in my efforts to clarify the game, I may have scared people away instead. But, if folks aren't interested in the game, that's okay with me. We'll play it by ear, and if there's not enough participation, we can always find another activity instead. I am thick-skinned when it comes to this kind of stuff and understand that everyone has different interests. I never mind putting in time and effort if it is on activities that our members enjoy.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I missed the discussion on how to play the game but picked it up easily enough. Its a great game and I like that you do not have to wait 48 hours between votes - its very much a self-progressing game.

If we did it again could I make a suggestion - that a person cannot vote the same way two turns in a row. Example - If I gave Song C +1 and Song B -2, then when its my turn to vote again I have to pick a different song to allocate the points to?

Just a suggestion - it might either be too confusing.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    I missed the discussion on how to play the game but picked it up easily enough. Its a great game and I like that you do not have to wait 48 hours between votes - its very much a self-progressing game.

If we did it again could I make a suggestion - that a person cannot vote the same way two turns in a row. Example - If I gave Song C +1 and Song B -2, then when its my turn to vote again I have to pick a different song to allocate the points to?

It might make it more interesting - you'd have to employ more strategy and be more creative. The "con" is that, as you said, it also makes it a bit more confusing, and people often like to keep things straightforward.

Thoughts from other players?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    It might make it more interesting - you'd have to employ more strategy and be more creative. The "con" is that, as you said, it also makes it a bit more confusing, and people often like to keep things straightforward.

Thoughts from other players?
    But that would take the "revenge factor" out of the equation!

I know it's been a couple of weeks since we played this game, but I wanted to wait to hear everyone's input before I weighed in on this. I thought I would post my thoughts in this thread in case folks have some other ideas about any future games that we may consider. First of all, thanks to everyone who played and it seems like the overall feedback from the participant's was that it was fun and fast-paced.

However, based on feedback from others that did not participate, it seems like the perception was that the game was confusing. TBH, I can't think of any ways to simplify it, but am definitely open to hearing others thoughts about this.

Now, from my perspective as the moderator, the game was very labor-intensive for me, mainly because I felt I needed to keep the game going by posting every chance I could because of the low participation. Thus, the game was dominated by just a handful of players, including yours truly. I believe more participation would have made the game more interesting and required less of my time.

The game lasted almost a week, which isn't too far off from what I was aiming for. To keep the game at a desired pace, I think the rules can be adjusted a little for any future games depending on the number of songs in the game. If there a fewer songs, one way to slow down the pace is to assign more points to the songs at the beginning e.g. we could start each song off with 20 points instead of 15. And for albums, with lots of songs, the number of points assigned at the start of the game could be lowered.

The other way to control the pace of the game is by adjusting the number of players who must vote before a player is eligible to play again. In this case, if we wanted to slow down the pace, we could change the rule so that 4 or 5 players must vote before you can play again. On the other hand, if there is lot's of participation, this may very little impact on the pace of the game.

Anyway, I would love to hear anyone's suggestions and ideas about this. I would be happy to moderate another game at some time in the future if we can get a fair amount of participation.