Page 21 of 140 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171121 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Happening In Your Life?

Default Re: What's Happening In Your Life?

Quote Originally Posted by buffyfan145 View Post
    Today starts National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) and this was how I wrote my first novel "If Not for You" in 2011!!! For those that don't know NaNoWriMo is a challenge for writers to write a 50,000 word novel during the month of November. There's an official site, message board, social media accounts, and ways for all of us writers and aspiring authors to support each other. It seems hard but if you write everyday you can get to this word count. There's even one in April but for writing a screenplay/film. I'm not fully participating this year since it has to be a new story but using it to help finish my 6th one. I still can't believe I've self-published 5 novels and am working on my Eagles music inspired 6th one in these 5 years. So grateful for discovering this and finally being able to write my stories.
    Hi, buff. My son and my daughter-in-law did this when they were in college. They really enjoyed it, too. Have fun!

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

My new Epiphone Dreadnought 12 String Acoustic shall arive to my sanctuary in
    4-6 Buisness Days. So after Armageddon!

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

That's awesome LT. It is a lot a fun and have made friends with other authors through it too.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

On Tuesday, my American.Government professor blew off class. He apologized today, and said he had some things he had to take care of. Because of this, he neglected to teach some of the most important info for the test that was today. To make up for that, he gave everyone a 100 on the test, though he still had us take the test to see what we do know. This test counted double for me, so I got two 100s as test grades without any effort involved.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    On Tuesday, my American.Government professor blew off class. He apologized today, and said he had some things he had to take care of. Because of this, he neglected to teach some of the most important info for the test that was today. To make up for that, he gave everyone a 100 on the test, though he still had us take the test to see what we do know. This test counted double for me, so I got two 100s as test grades without any effort involved.
    This is appalling. There's no way that anyone would get away with that where I work. Not you AG95, your professor.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    This is appalling. There's no way that anyone would get away with that where I work. Not you AG95, your professor.
    What's appalling, the blowing off class or giving out a free test grade? If it's the latter, he has no wiggle left in the semester. He's on a super tight schedule, and can't postpone the test, so he did what he thought was fair, given the circumstances. My class certainly didn't complain, lol.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

That's great he did that for you Kim.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Wow, you're very lucky, AG95.

AT, as someone that goes to community college myself, I'm not surprised. This situation hasn't happened to me yet, but the professors at my school tend to be fair and they don't try to trick you, like they sometimes do at the CSUs and UCs. The professor could have handled it better. He probably should have given you guys up to 10-25 extra credit points, instead of an automatic 100. For example, if you got a 90%, then you would get 9 or 22.5 E.C. points respectively. I don't know if he uses a pure points system or a weighted grade system, so that's why I gave the values of 10 or 25. Being pressed for time, I guess what he did is the best he could do.

Another solution would be to drop the test altogether, and have the final exam count for double or 150 points, instead of 100. Sorry that I'm not helping your case, AG95. I'm sure you're glad that he just gave you the 100 flat out for both tests.

Anyways, I found out that I have A+ blood today during bio lab. My professor let us prick our own fingers with a lancet and then test it. It was optional, so if I already knew from before, I wouldn't have done it. I was afraid to prick my finger, since you know, I don't normally do that and I hate getting shots. It was ok in the end, since if you push the blade gradually harder long enough, it pierces the skin and blood is drawn. I was happy to finally know.

I also learned that an econ professor that teaches at community colleges in my area was shot and killed this July in the downtown San Jose area. I sat in his class for one day to see if I was going to add it or not last spring. I ended up not taking it, but I felt a little traumatized and shocked seeing his picture on the TV as someone who got murdered. They finally got a suspect today based on surveillance footage, so that's how I found out. He didn't deserve to die tragically and brutally like that, since for the one day I had him, he came off as a nice and a little eccentric teacher.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LuvTim View Post
    My son and my daughter-in-law did this when they were in college.
    There's a Luvy Jr. in this world? That's good. I hope he's half as sweet as his Ma.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    What's appalling, the blowing off class or giving out a free test grade? If it's the latter, he has no wiggle left in the semester. He's on a super tight schedule, and can't postpone the test, so he did what he thought was fair, given the circumstances. My class certainly didn't complain, lol.
    Both. The combination is, in my eyes, appalling. Over here we could not get away with just giving away marks without those marks being earnt.

Not covering what is going to be examined is bad enough. But, giving away marks is academic fraud. For a degree to mean something, you have to be sure that those graduating have met the learning outcomes. You can't do that if marks are just given away. Do you have an external examiner system there? Or can professors just do what they want on their courses?

Note: I'm not blaming you; I'm blaming your professor.

Over here we would delay the test until the material had been coverd. And I've not heard of lecturers just blowing off classes like that. If a lecturer has a conference or something, they'll rearrange teaching. and delay tests until the necessary has been covered.