Page 83 of 92 FirstFirst ... 3373798081828384858687 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Default Re: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Analyzing why Felder would do that isn't something I'm going to do. I'm not saying it's a planned thing to try and fool people, but he always talks like HC was the first single. That quote from the book is why I mentioned the "only single" too. "This should be THE single." So it was released and he leaves it at that. We can read it in all kinds of ways. If Henley thought it should be the first single, but wasn't in the end, then Felder should have mentioned it.
    Thank you for conceding that.

As far as Felder mentioning that NKIT turned out to be the first single, it would have been irrelevant if Henley indeed was referring to leaving the song over 6 minutes. Otherwise, I fail to see why it’s so critical that he mentions it.

He also says in the book that because of the success of the single HC was the opening track at concerts. NWIT was a number one before it, so why wasn't it the opening song? I believe it was the combination of being successful, being the title track and a "tone setter".
    Yes, I agree - the band had other #1 hits and they were not used as the opening song at their concerts. HC was unique in its impact and tone relative to other Eagles’ songs.

I have to add that I don't know about the Eagles singles too much so after reading Felder's book I thought that HC was the first single. Later in this forum I learned that NKIT was a number one hit before it.
    And no harm done, I presume(?).

I stand by my interpretation of Felder's words, but it has already been mentioned several times years ago, so I'm not going to fight this one for several pages.
    I as well don’t want to continue quibbling over something that, imo, is pretty trivial. Since you say it has been mentioned several times already, it would be like beating a dead horse anyway.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Thank you for conceding that.

As far as Felder mentioning that NKIT turned out to be the first single, it would have been irrelevant if Henley indeed was referring to leaving the song over 6 minutes. Otherwise, I fail to see why it’s so critical that he mentions it.

Yes, I agree - the band had other #1 hits and they were not used as the opening song at their concerts. HC was unique in its impact and tone relative to other Eagles’ songs.

And no harm done, I presume(?).

I as well don’t want to continue quibbling over something that, imo, is pretty trivial. Since you say it has been mentioned several times already, it would be like beating a dead horse anyway.
    "No harm done"? My point was that personally I got the impression from his book that HC was the first single, so his words can certainly be understood that way.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I would have to agree with you, chaim. And I also agree that it's not a huge deal, except that Felder has a habit of doing this kind of thing rather frequently. Anytime someone only tells only part of a story and leaves out other facts, it can easily result in folks misunderstanding or misinterpreting it. We can only guess whether it is intentional or not on his part, but there are other times when he has deliberately misrepresented or misstated facts when giving his version of events. So when someone does this kind of stuff repeatedly, it can call their motivation and/or credibility into question. However, like everyone here, I don't want to beat a dead horse either. There are plenty of examples documented throughout this forum if anyone cares enough to do the research.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I would have to agree with you, chaim. And I also agree that it's not a huge deal, except that Felder has a habit of doing this kind of thing rather frequently. Anytime someone only tells only part of a story and leaves out other facts, it can easily result in folks misunderstanding or misinterpreting it. We can only guess whether it is intentional or not on his part, but there are other times when he has deliberately misrepresented or misstated facts when giving his version of events. So when someone does this kind of stuff repeatedly, it can call their motivation and/or credibility into question. However, like everyone here, I don't want to beat a dead horse either. There are plenty of examples documented throughout this forum if anyone cares enough to do the research.
    Agreed, Dreamer.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Don will be one of the hosts of a new series on AXS TV, “A Year in Music” which debuts on Sunday, July 7.

The ten episode season also features Pinfield’s examination of 1966, documenting the changing sound of pop music and the last glory days of classic crooners such as Frank Sinatra (July 14th); Felder’s trip to the Grammy Museum at L.A. Live, where he breaks down the music of 1969’s Peace & Love Movement (July 21st); Brown’s in-depth look at 1983 covering the birth of MTV, the early days of music videos, and the rise of heavy metal (August 4th); and Pinfield’s dissection of 1975, fueled by trailblazing bands such as Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd, and political unrest spurred by the economic crisis (August 11th). Other highlights include Felder’s discussion of the headlines that dominated 1973 — ranging from Disco to Watergate, and everything in between (August 18th)...
    https://themusicuniverse.com/axs-tv-...-music-series/

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Border Rebel

Thanks, Delilah! Some of the episodes sound very interesting! Will try to remember to watch

Don will be one of the hosts of a new series on AXS TV, “A Year in Music” which debuts on Sunday, July 7.

I'll have to record this.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Wow sounds like a great series. Would love to see it. I think AXS is available on my service but there is additional charge for it. I'm going to look into it even if l just get it for a month or 2. Really want to see this

So while this is an Eagles topic, I wanted to post it here because my problem with it is directly with Don Felder.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/eagles-those-shoes/

He really cannot stop giving himself credit. "I created all the parts", "I wanted to write something Joe and I could play on" (gee, where have we heard that before?!), etc.

I highly doubt he wrote "all the parts", and that no one else contributed any musical parts to the song. I like how he has to come across when discussing Hotel California and now, Those Shoes, like he had to create Joe's parts for him. Like Joe isn't capable of writing his own parts, lol. It just doesn't sit well with me at all. For the longest time he basically made it seem that Joe just played the parts that Felder created for him on the demo. It wasn't until later he gave Joe credit for coming up with the outro solo triads and starting giving him more credit for that part. And his reluctance to admit that the ICTYW solo was not his own.

I also don't like how whoever wrote the article said that "when he wrote Those Shoes..." He helped to write is a much more accurate phrase, unless that journalist really thinks he wrote the whole song, lyrics and all.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

I don't have time to read it right now, but does he say that he wrote the talkbox melodies in Those Shoes? I seem to recall reading that he wrote them with Joe. But I could be wrong.