Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Former Eagles will not be honored by the Kennedy Center later this year.

Default Former Eagles will not be honored by the Kennedy Center later this year.

Has anyone followed this story? Anyway, it appears only the four main Eagles will be honored later this year. The article reads, in part:

Apparently, it’s not just the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame that creates controversy over which former members of a band can be honored. The Kennedy Center has responded to a petition that sought to include ex-Eagles Don Felder, Bernie Leadon and Randy Meisner when the band receives the Kennedy Center Honors later this year.

Despite 10,301 signatures, the petition has been denied after running it by the surviving members of the band. In a statement on the petition’s official change.org page, Brandon Butler, who started the movement, forwarded a statement by Kennedy Center President Deborah Rutter.

It read, “The Kennedy Center consulted with the Eagles and through that discussion, it was determined that the four band members who ‘carried the torch’ — Don Henley, the late Glenn Frey, Timothy B. Schmit, and Joe Walsh — will be awarded the Honors. We appreciate that there will be some debate about who constitutes the Eagles. This determination does not discredit the contributions of former band members.”

Read More: Former Eagles Will Not Receive Kennedy Center Honors | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/eagle...ckback=tsmclip

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Former Eagles will not be honored by the Kennedy Center later this year.

Default Re: Former Eagles will not be honored by the Kennedy Center later this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by WalshGirl View Post
    Has anyone followed this story? Anyway, it appears only the four main Eagles will be honored later this year. The article reads, in part:

Read More: Former Eagles Will Not Receive Kennedy Center Honors | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/eagle...ckback=tsmclip
    Walshgirl, I wish I had posted my comment about the petition here like you did. I welcome those posts relating specifically to this topic being moved here. That way it won't bring down the vibe of what's supposed to be a celebratory thread, as someone else pointed out, and those who have opted out of that thread don't have to feel excluded. Meanwhile, those of us who are sad and disappointed by the petition can express ourselves without the snipes and insults.

Btw, thanks for the link. Some pretty strong opinions are expressed in the comments.

Would love to see them all honored in this way, especially the founding members; but alas it is not my call. We just have to remember that without the input from all 7 of the Eagles they would not have the success they have today. Thanks for all the music they have provided us over the years!

Stuck on the Border

I've listened to recent interviews with Timothy, Joe and Don Henley and although they seem fine when talking about their solo projects, when it comes to the Eagles and Glenn, they still sound wounded. It's a reminder of how close they were and that they probably think of the four of them as a unit and are maybe not ready to consider the bigger picture.

Stuck on the Border

I'm quoting part of a post from the Felder press thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagles7 View Post
    I finding it upsetting that three Eagles who were part of the band in its most artistic and productive period are not included in the honors. I feel upset that the current group feels they are "carrying the torch" and aren't honest enough with themselves to admit that the torch was lit a long time ago and every single one of those guys struck a match.

Mostly I'm upset that the best selling, most accomplished American band won't take the high road and allow each member to be honored, that they can't see what a statement they could make by honoring the best of each of them and letting go of the worst. That's what really makes me sad, and it disappoints me that fans want to carry some of the same old wounds and attack each other and Members of the Eagles. JMO
    I don't find it helpful to get upset over something over which I have no control. Would I have liked to see all seven honoured? Yes, but it's not going to happen and there's nothing I can do to change that so I've moved on.

I know there were people who tried to make a change by organising that petition, but from the start I've thought that it would only harden attitudes. It's like with children when the more you push them to say "sorry" or "thank you", the more entrenched they become. Generally, an approach that allows everyone to save face will be more successful.

The problem with the petition is that the organisers and its supporters made it a battle that they were trying to "win" on behalf of Felder, Meisner and Leadon and see Henley and Frey defeated. In doing so, they've ensured that everyone loses.

What noone can stop is for each of us to honour whoever we choose. If you watch the tributes, there is nothing to stop you including the other band members in your thoughts. Hopefully, the introduction will cover the entire band.

As for social media, particularly Don Felder's Facebook page, I'm always amazed by the ignorance of those fans who seem to believe the band starts and ends with Hotel California.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 10-17-2016 at 09:14 AM.

No online petition was going to change anything. Those things are a dime a dozen, and if you don't get at least 100,000 signatures, you're not considered worth noting. This one got some press because Felder himself promoted it and it was still unable to get anywhere near that number.

Regardless, as I said, it was never going to change anything. The Kennedy Center is not a popular awards ceremony driven by the desires of the fans. It owes nothing to the fans. It is for the artists.

I do feel bad for the other former Eagles, but I understand the decision. I hope people can accept it and move on.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Witchy Woman's Avatar

The way I see it is that Meisner and Leadon left of their own accord, and Felder was fired. They were NOT current members of The Eagles. Bernie was a guest on the HOTE tour. And if Glenn had not died he would still be a member. So it is absolutely appropriate to include him in the honor. Felder can go fornicate himself. If he had appreciated what he had he would still have been a member, instead of being a whiny little bitch because he got left out. He has a lot of nerve to be so glib and self entitled. His hubris is both amusing and sad.

Border Desperado

That's a crude post WW. ...and people are complaining about and posting rude remarks from fans on Felder's site? Looks like it goes both ways.

I don't get people being Eagle fans and speaking disparagingly about any of the members?