Page 22 of 273 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272122 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion of Eagles Documentary "History of the Eagles"

Border Desperado RebeccaLovesEagles's Avatar

Default Re: Eagles Documentary DVD

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    I liked the opening of part 2, but part 2 should have been a full 2 hours. I just feel there was much left out, but when I heard Desperado, I knew it was about to end...exactly the same as it does at a concert.

One thing that kind of bothered me was when they showed the shots of the audience clapping...they never seemed to be clapping to the beat of the song that was playing at that time. It was like they just took some footage of audience clapping & stuck it in there. They were never on the beat.

I think my favorite part of part 2 was when they showed them writing & putting the song together. That was interesting. Also I liked Joe's recovery story. It wasn't too dramatic, but it seemed real to me. Joe looks so much better now than he did then. Wow what a drastic change. I guess we hadn't really seen him during the 14 year vacation.
    Also nice to see his daughter there, I guess that was Lucy & there were also small glimpses of Tim's wife & daughter, talking to Felder & I think his son.
    I wish it was 2 hrs I loved the inside glimpse of the families too. I wish they always wouldn't end with Desperado they need to end with Doolin Daltons/Desperado Reprise I love that song and as long as Desperado is the last song its never going to happen. Oh Well a girl can hope

BTW it must be my kind of audience, I stink at staying with the beat. LOL

Soda I was actually surprised the reporter asked the question. Don't they know its bad manners to talk about money At least the band made the most of it by making it funny.

You know you have some delicious bugs here about on the Mississippi... Extra Protein thank you very much!!!!-Don Henley- At the St. Louis, MO concert June 2010.

I know I'm new hear but Im not a new Eagle fan, have been so for quite a while. As mentioned earlier saw them live in 94.

Just some random thoughts about the film and other stuff:

- It did bug me a bit the misplaced photos in the film at times. Like someone mentioned, they would show a photo from 78 while talking about 72. That was distracting and I would catch myself thinking about that instead of paying attention to what they were saying in the seconds follwing them showing an out of date photo.

- I cracked up at the audio of Frey saying "I cant wait...to kick your ass". I just thought it was too funny that they had that on Tape...that was great even if it was an ugly moment. Having that on tape was priceless.

- The only footage of the 70s I knew of of the eagles until this film was mostly the grainy, bad quality video of them doing Hotel California live....so when I saw the restored film of the DC concert that was amazing.

- Speaking of which, why not release that concert in full on DVD? I wonder if they filmed the whole thing?

- I didnt like when they skipped the cover details on On The Border and One of these nights, especially since they talked about that for the debut album and Desperado..and then also HC and LR.

- I did love the desert footage and the details about the photography of those early years.

- Part 2 was good, but me personally Im not a fan of the Road to Eden album. I barely consider that an Eagles album. Just never liked it and sounded too country/vocal with little punch. Maybe Felder was missing? But I will say that the film did make me want to give it another listen. Not sure what this forums take is on the Eden album, if mostly positive or not.

- Truth is we dont know exactly what happened day to day w the Eagles. They were together for 9 years so lots happenes that doesnt make the books or films....but but but...Frey's verbal attacks on Felder and demands to make more $ than the rest in the film does somewhat confirm much of what was said and written about Frey. Like someone here posted...if Frey wanted to be fair and divvy up the money, then quite frankly Frey should have gotte 10-20% less that Henley. But to me that was all silly. How many gazzilions of dollars does one need? As far as Im concerned without Felder, the Eagles as we know it would not be The Eagles as we know it. Without Felder Hotel California wouldnt exist and that song is a unique Eagle song to the point that hen you hear it it doesnt even sound like an Eagle song. That song historically made the Eagles the Classic Rock band that they are. And Felder should have been happy to be Freys "paid monkey"? Again, because of Hotel California Felder should have been an equal part.

- Not to pick on Frey, but his interviews almost seemed a little rehearsed no? Like when he says "Lets start from the begining". I dont think that was natural. I think it was scripted to literally get the film started. No biggie, but I thought that as soon as he said it.

- Just wondering, if Leadon had stayed and Walsh hadn't entered the band...how different would the Hotel California album have been? The song probably would still have existed since it was a Felder creation (with Frey Henley lyrics) but Life in the fast lane for sure wouldnt have existed.

- Speaking of Walsh he was the best character of the film. He seems very kind and kinda like "I dont care what Don and Glenn do, Im just happy to be here". He is just enjoying the ride. I creacked up in the old footage when Glenn asked him a question on the couch.

- Thought ot was funny when Felder in the 70s was saying how they looked so young 4 years prior...and mentioned presidents aging. Funny how in our 20s we think we are so old (and wise) by the time we are in out late 20's. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by OutlawManNJ View Post
    I know I'm new hear but Im not a new Eagle fan, have been so for quite a while. As mentioned earlier saw them live in 94.

Just some random thoughts about the film and other stuff:

- It did bug me a bit the misplaced photos in the film at times. Like someone mentioned, they would show a photo from 78 while talking about 72. That was distracting and I would catch myself thinking about that instead of paying attention to what they were saying in the seconds follwing them showing an out of date photo.

- I cracked up at the audio of Frey saying "I cant wait...to kick your ass". I just thought it was too funny that they had that on Tape...that was great even if it was an ugly moment. Having that on tape was priceless.

- The only footage of the 70s I knew of of the eagles until this film was mostly the grainy, bad quality video of them doing Hotel California live....so when I saw the restored film of the DC concert that was amazing.

- Speaking of which, why not release that concert in full on DVD? I wonder if they filmed the whole thing?

- I didnt like when they skipped the cover details on On The Border and One of these nights, especially since they talked about that for the debut album and Desperado..and then also HC and LR.

- I did love the desert footage and the details about the photography of those early years.

- Part 2 was good, but me personally Im not a fan of the Road to Eden album. I barely consider that an Eagles album. Just never liked it and sounded too country/vocal with little punch. Maybe Felder was missing? But I will say that the film did make me want to give it another listen. Not sure what this forums take is on the Eden album, if mostly positive or not.

- Truth is we dont know exactly what happened day to day w the Eagles. They were together for 9 years so lots happenes that doesnt make the books or films....but but but...Frey's verbal attacks on Felder and demands to make more $ than the rest in the film does somewhat confirm much of what was said and written about Frey. Like someone here posted...if Frey wanted to be fair and divvy up the money, then quite frankly Frey should have gotte 10-20% less that Henley. But to me that was all silly. How many gazzilions of dollars does one need? As far as Im concerned without Felder, the Eagles as we know it would not be The Eagles as we know it. Without Felder Hotel California wouldnt exist and that song is a unique Eagle song to the point that hen you hear it it doesnt even sound like an Eagle song. That song historically made the Eagles the Classic Rock band that they are. And Felder should have been happy to be Freys "paid monkey"? Again, because of Hotel California Felder should have been an equal part.

- Not to pick on Frey, but his interviews almost seemed a little rehearsed no? Like when he says "Lets start from the begining". I dont think that was natural. I think it was scripted to literally get the film started. No biggie, but I thought that as soon as he said it.

- Just wondering, if Leadon had stayed and Walsh hadn't entered the band...how different would the Hotel California album have been? The song probably would still have existed since it was a Felder creation (with Frey Henley lyrics) but Life in the fast lane for sure wouldnt have existed.

- Speaking of Walsh he was the best character of the film. He seems very kind and kinda like "I dont care what Don and Glenn do, Im just happy to be here". He is just enjoying the ride. I creacked up in the old footage when Glenn asked him a question on the couch.

- Thought ot was funny when Felder in the 70s was saying how they looked so young 4 years prior...and mentioned presidents aging. Funny how in our 20s we think we are so old (and wise) by the time we are in out late 20's. LOL.

So because of 1 song Felder should have been an equal!? Hahaha yeah right. "Hotel California" is an overrated song, the Eagles have better songs than it. Oh yeah, they do have other songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowland07 View Post
    So because of 1 song Felder should have been an equal!? Hahaha yeah right. "Hotel California" is an overrated song, the Eagles have better songs than it. Oh yeah, they do have other songs.
    I dont think its overated at all. But one fact is its THE EAGLES song that is most known of all worldwide and the only of them that has ever been voted #1 classic rock song of all time. Without HC the Eagles wouldnt be as infamous as they are. Thats a fact.

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Witchy Woman View Post
    Personally, I see no reason for anyone to feel that they shouldn't state their opinions, or read and comment on others, as long as it's respectful. Who cares about favorites ? As I've stated previously, there are 3 sides to every story. We'll never know what truly happened. Felder was fired, and I'm sure there's blame to be had from all angles. I've enjoyed reading everyone's comments, whether I agree with some of them or not. Either way, we should be celebrating a terrific documentary, not tearing each other apart over petty things.
    well said

Stuck on the Border Grey Sadler's Avatar

I'll reiterate what I said in another thread...applies to my students...everyone in this band...and everyone on this board. "I love everybody. I don't always love the things you do." I know we're not always going to agree. I hope we can stay constructive and objective.

Quoting myself again: There were no saints in this band and there will never be. Not even my two obvious favorites (who are a prime example of two wrongs don't make a right). The band history is what it is...and was apparently explained somewhat in this documentary (and I can't wait to see it!!!!) It was presented as a "warts and all" offering, and I believe that is what I will see sometime in April.

May I also quote a character from Raising Arizona: "There's what's right...and there's what's right...and never the twain shall meet"...does that make sense?

Not true. They were on their way there with the One of These Nights album. If Bernie hadn't left who knows what would've happened. In all honesty some of you have been giving Felder more credit than he deserves. They were still amazing before "Hotel California". I'm sure they would've been ok without it.

Im sorry but I cannot agree with Hotel California being Overrated.

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

I think JMO that the sum of all the parts(rm, bl, gf, dh tbs, jw and df) made that band what it is....No one is more important than another..Think of it...if they were they would have all gone on to seperate sucessful solo careers and never came back together as "the Eagles"
    jmo

So has Henley or Frey ever mentioned writing a Biography?

It amazes me at how little has been ritten about the band and the players. Nobody has eve written an unauthorized biography of Henley...which would sell. And it took only 40 years for a documentary to be made.

So any word on if one of them will ever write a Biography (besides Felder of course which was smart in doing his).