Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn Frey Music Video Survivor

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Glenn Frey Music Video Survivor

Well, we are all over the place here and it may only take a handful of votes for elimination this round, so it may be time to form an alliance. So far it’s close between Route 66, I’ve Got Mine, and The Shadow of Your Smile. The Shadow of Your Smile is the least energetic and entertaining of these, IMO. While Soda prefers it because the focus is all on Glenn, I feel the exact opposite. Glenn gives a passionate performance, but I would like to see more happening in the video. Although not necessarily creative, even a romantic backdrop showing scenes of a couple in love would help – it just needs something else to me. Route 66 and I’ve Got Mine aren’t my favorites either, but at least they have some interesting action going on. I love the set in the Route 66 video and I think all the dancing is fun to watch, even if it’s not my kind of dancing. As far as I’ve Got Mine, I absolutely love the song so that helps enhance the video some for me, as does the social commentary.

So here's my vote and I hope others will join with me …

I cast my vote for The Shadow of Your Smile.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

Well Dreamer ~ I am going to join you. I had already made my decision last night but I was too tired to post it plus I wanted to sleep on it. I was hoping it would evoke a Glenn dream - No such luck!!

I absolutely LOVE this song and I think Glenn sings it beautifully. I could listen to it ALL day! However I do not like the video. I do not care for the concept and I really do not like that it is in black & white. Glenn has beautiful coloring, skin, eyes, hair and they need to show it - IMO. It may be just my eyes but there was something off with the lighting. I'm sure they were trying to set the mood but I didn't like it. In fact IMHO I think they should have used TSOYS version that they used in the After Hours trailer on his website. I loved it with him singing in the studio with just Michael Thompson on piano. I thought it was very moving. Plus it was in color. So even though I love Glenn singing this song......

I vote The Shadow of Your Smile

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Wow - where are all of our voters here? So far only a little more than half of the folks that played last round have voted this time. Remember everyone, this round ends at 8:00 ET tonight so don't forget to vote.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

It's tough for me because once "21st" was gone I didn't have a strong opinion either way about the videos. I know what my top 3 are... THIO is one of my favorites. It's my favorite Glenn tune probably, but I'm trying to not let that persuade me. It's not my #1 vid though.

That said, after watching again I've decided on:

The Shadow Of Your Smile
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Still thinking here, dreamer! I'll be back!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

As I've stated, I don't like the After Hours style of music at all, but of the two videos in this game I can stomach The Shadow of Your Smile much more than Route 66. Route 66 is gimmicky and corny, IMO. I don't like the hand in the pocket, the finger-snapping, and I certainly don't like the dancing. If the video were a parody I would feel better because I could laugh at it along with Glenn, but it's not.

I feel kind of bad because I realize this is a matter of my personal taste vs. the actual quality of the video, but

I vote for Route 66.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I just cannot vote for TSOYS. I really love it, and it also reminds me if the evening Soda was here in Dublin as it was released that day and we watched it on my iPad!

I'll admit I had been lurking too to see f an alternative to TSOYS would show up strongly.. I'll agree in terms of Glenn THIO isn't great but I'm reluctant to part with it just yet.

Leaving me to vote off 'I Got Mine'
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

This is a really tough game for me. I watched them all, took notes on each one, but find it really hard to rate them after the worst one and a couple favorites.

I'll join Dreamer and vote for The Shadow of Your Smile.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

As far as THIO, I have to say it's kind if another BOS for me in that it was a staple of the 80s MTV that I loved so much. So I just can't part with it yet.

My vote this time is for The Shadow Of Your Smile.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    As I've stated, I don't like the After Hours style of music at all, but of the two videos in this game I can stomach The Shadow of Your Smile much more than Route 66. Route 66 is gimmicky and corny, IMO. I don't like the hand in the pocket, the finger-snapping, and I certainly don't like the dancing. If the video were a parody I would feel better because I could laugh at it along with Glenn, but it's not.

I feel kind of bad because I realize this is a matter of my personal taste vs. the actual quality of the video, but

I vote for Route 66.
    All of the reasons why you don't like the Route 66 video are the exact reasons why I do like it. When he put his hand in his pocket during the LA show, it was just sexy. As for the finger snapping I find it cool & sophisticated, but then I have seen the song performed live a few times. As for the dancing, wow; he can move. He was 63 when he filmed this.

As for TSOYS it needs precisely nothing else apart from what you see, in my view. I'm sorry more people don't like it more. Quite honestly I expect both songs to disappear one after the other & it will be a sad relief.