Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get"

Default Re: Celebration of "The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get"

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    DITTO !
    And, thank God they brought Bill Szymczyk as their record producer. If they had not, I don't they would have become as big as they did.
    I agree. Glenn didn't listen to Glyn. He knew it wasn't working and I'm glad he went with his gut. I guess we will never know how the Eagles would be if they didn't switch producers.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Border Troubadour

For no reason whatsoever I have been listening to this album for the first time in years lately. RMW goes without saying but the more I listen to this and Barnstorm, the more I come to appreciate just how good Joe Vitale is, he complemented Walsh so well. The drumming on Meadows makes the song, and the flute on Days Gone By, especially the solo, is absolutely wonderful. I know he stuck around for a lot of Walsh's solo career despite most of it being vastly different from the acoustic-experimental-soft rock in the early days, but I just wish they had retained a closer working relationship.

Happy Birthday to The Smoker You Drink...!!

I have really grown to like this album with its diversity of sounds and laid-back jazzy moods. Joe’s voice is soft and smooth; he sounds great.

This was his first hit solo album, peaking on the Billboard 200 chart at #6 the week of Nov. 10, 1973 and spending 45 weeks on the chart. The Eagles hadn’t gotten a top 10 album yet at this point.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    I agree. Glenn didn't listen to Glyn. He knew it wasn't working and I'm glad he went with his gut. I guess we will never know how the Eagles would be if they didn't switch producers.
    Not as successful, I think!

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Happy Birthday to The Smoker You Drink...!!

I have really grown to like this album with its diversity of sounds and laid-back jazzy moods. Joe’s voice is soft and smooth; he sounds great.

This was his first hit solo album, peaking on the Billboard 200 chart at #6 the week of Nov. 10, 1973 and spending 45 weeks on the chart. The Eagles hadn’t gotten a top 10 album yet at this point.
    Wow. I had forgotten it was such a hit. It was really a coup for them to get Joe, wasn't it!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    For no reason whatsoever I have been listening to this album for the first time in years lately. RMW goes without saying but the more I listen to this and Barnstorm, the more I come to appreciate just how good Joe Vitale is, he complemented Walsh so well. The drumming on Meadows makes the song, and the flute on Days Gone By, especially the solo, is absolutely wonderful. I know he stuck around for a lot of Walsh's solo career despite most of it being vastly different from the acoustic-experimental-soft rock in the early days, but I just wish they had retained a closer working relationship.
    "Meadows" is my favorite (except I had the stupid hollering at the beginning). I hadn't really thought about the drumming, but I see what you mean. It really gives the song a momentum and energy that propels it.

I also love the way the harmonies come in on "I've seen you rolled in clover..." and then drop out for the last line of that part, coming back for "I'm out here in the meadow..."

The song has a lot of drama in the way it builds and then backs off, then builds again. Great number.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO TSYD, TPYG!

This is one of Joe's strongest solo efforts, IMO - very enjoyable! And, of course, RMW is a rock classic where Joe 'invented' the talk box.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    "Meadows" is my favorite (except I had the stupid hollering at the beginning). I hadn't really thought about the drumming, but I see what you mean. It really gives the song a momentum and energy that propels it.
    Joe told a funny story about this when the Eagles had their Sirius XM radio station. The plan was for everyone in the band to record whatever random thing they wanted for several seconds. No one would know what the others had done. Then Joe was going to make a collage of the recordings. Except it turned out no one else had done anything, only Joe. He said he got sucker-punched by the band.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

I prefer the rockers from this album (big shock there!) but this is definitely one of my favorite Joe albums. This one, So What, and But Seriously Folks are definitely faves, but if I'm honest BSF I mostly like because LBG is on it. I also love the album art on this.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    DITTO !
    And, thank God they brought Bill Szymczyk as their record producer. If they had not, I don't they would have become as big as they did.
    Getting Bill and Joe to work with the Eagles was the best thing the Eagles ever did. No disrespect to Glyn Johns or Bernie Leadon, but those two guys kind of agreed I think on that the Eagles weren't a rock n' roll band, they were country/country-rock and they didn't like the rockin' Eagles. I feel that when they dropped Glyn as a producer, got Don Felder, and when Bernie was replaced by Joe is when the band really cemented themselves. Hotel California is their claim to fame, and I can imagine that going into the studio for The Long Run was just dreadful because they knew they hit pay-dirt with HC and had to try to top it.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Joe told a funny story about this when the Eagles had their Sirius XM radio station. The plan was for everyone in the band to record whatever random thing they wanted for several seconds. No one would know what the others had done. Then Joe was going to make a collage of the recordings. Except it turned out no one else had done anything, only Joe. He said he got sucker-punched by the band.
    Never heard this story - thanks! Knowing this makes it more tolerable, lol.