Page 31 of 92 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about that?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Soda – I believe you are dead on with your remark that the band's sound was cheapened when Glenn was replaced. As maryc2130 said, ‘the band evolved with Don and Glenn standing shoulder-to-shoulder', and, to me, that's the way it should have ended. And I can say with 100% certainty that if we were talking about Don here, God forbid, I would be saying exactly the same thing.

And to further address the arguments that the band should be enjoying life – I couldn't agree more; but, I believe they should seek options other than capitalizing on the ‘Eagles’ name. Because the ‘Eagles’ that Glenn was such an integral part of crafting and nurturing for over 45 years deserves better. His incomparable vision and contributions to the band should have been immortalized with unconditional dignity, and not compromised for the enjoyment, benefit, or catharsis of the remaining members. The best way to honor and preserve a legacy is to LEAVE IT ALONE!
    Dreamer my thoughts exactly. I have not posted in this thread because I feel I spoke my peace in Eagles 3.0 and everyone knows how I feel. However, after reading all the posts I decided to give my 2 cents again. This is just MHO, but this version of the Eagles is nothing but a money grab tour before they call it quits. Don and Irving are playing on the emotions of fans who never got the chance to see them before Glenn died. People have even stated this in their FB post. They are afraid another member could pass and that would be the end and they never saw any version of the Eagles. Deacon was added by Don and Irving to make this version more "legit". It tugs at people's heart strings to see Deacon on stage looking like a young Glenn and playing his songs. The prices are in some cases more expensive than HOTE Tour. The concerts at MSG and the Prudential Center(NJ) have been heavily advertised on my local NY/NJ stations. They even added a second night at the Garden. 52 shows is a lot of concerts in one year, with a ton of money to be made. I am among the group of people who feel this whole new version cheapens the legacy of the band. To understand how we Glenn fans feel, those who favor this version should ask themselves how they would feel if it was Don who passed and he was replaced. And, please don't say it could not be done. Their are some very good tribute bands who have singers who sound almost exactly like Don and could be used. Well, Don, Joe & Tim are all 70 now and they can't keep doing this much longer. Like Soda said, this too will pass.

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

Quote Originally Posted by EagleInKansas View Post
    I think part of the reason these arguments become so emotional is that each side can feel the other's pain. I can relate to those who think Glenn's death should have ended the Eagles. Until a resumption was announced, I believed that any band who performed songs without their original singer or singers lacked legitimacy. I never expected it to happen to my favorite band, which is far too mild a term to describe what the Eagles mean to me.

I must admit I have been in denial, and it's lingering. I don't really want it to go away, because then I would again have to confront depression and, eventually, acceptance. The days and months after Glenn's death were some of the darkest of my life, almost as sad as the days and months after my mother died. I had to say goodbye to someone I never met but whom I loved. I couldn't listen to the Eagles much because I was trying to wrap my head around the reality that they no longer existed.

I didn't discover the Eagles, the Eagles discovered me. My earliest memories are of playing The Long Run album on my grandmother's record player. I've known all the words to all the songs since I could speak in complete sentences. The band shaped my personality. I'm loyal and I love unconditionally and I am all in on my passions because of the Eagles. Every time I hear one of their songs, it's like the first time. Their concerts are pure euphoria.

I appreciate all of you, even through our disagreements, for being Eagles fans. It's a bond that, even though we're strangers, connects us all, and I am grateful for that. There is nothing I love talking about more than the Eagles. I am very much an introvert, but I'll break into conversations about the band at their concerts and share my enthusiasm with anyone who will listen.

All of us loved Glenn Frey, myself included. I remember driving with my mom and sister to an outlet music store in central Ohio and purchasing "Strange Weather" on audio tape. I remember listening to "Soul Searchin'" in the back room of my one-floor house while watching Saturday afternoon baseball on mute. I remember singing "The Heat is On" at a church lock-in 20-plus years ago.

A new Eagles era is comforting and healing for me. Maybe that is a selfish viewpoint, but the Eagles have always been there when I needed to feel better. I saw my last Eagles show with my mom on October 20, 2010. They didn't tour again until HOTE in 2013, and by then my mom had passed away. But I was at the first HOTE show in Louisville, and life sort of felt OK again.

I don't begrudge anyone for shunning this era of the Eagles, and I hope no one begrudges me for needing it. This time I need healing from Glenn's death. He died almost three years to the day as my mom, just five days apart. Quite frankly, this is an easier goodbye than discovering the news of Glenn's death on Twitter and trying to process the end six months after I watched the penultimate HOTE show in Arkansas. I'm not sure I would have ever truly processed the end of the Eagles I knew without Deacon and the new era.

I know this won't last forever, and I know it's not the same. It sucks that I can't talk about the upcoming shows with the majority of the people on this board, but I can still enjoy and even love them for what they are. I know I really will have to say goodbye eventually, but for now the Eagles -- the band -- are alive, which means Glenn's spirit remains and his memory is alive, too.
    This was beautiful, EIK, thank you for sharing. I don't support the Eagles without Glenn, and your post helped me understand where the other side is coming from. This is such an emotional issue for many of us, perhaps it's best if we all agree to disagree about this, and allow all of us to love the Eagles and honor Glenn's memory in whatever way each of us feels is best.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Dreamer my thoughts exactly. I have not posted in this thread because I feel I spoke my peace in Eagles 3.0 and everyone knows how I feel. However, after reading all the posts I decided to give my 2 cents again. This is just MHO, but this version of the Eagles is nothing but a money grab tour before they call it quits. Don and Irving are playing on the emotions of fans who never got the chance to see them before Glenn died. People have even stated this in their FB post. They are afraid another member could pass and that would be the end and they never saw any version of the Eagles. Deacon was added by Don and Irving to make this version more "legit". It tugs at people's heart strings to see Deacon on stage looking like a young Glenn and playing his songs. The prices are in some cases more expensive than HOTE Tour. The concerts at MSG and the Prudential Center(NJ) have been heavily advertised on my local NY/NJ stations. They even added a second night at the Garden. 52 shows is a lot of concerts in one year, with a ton of money to be made. I am among the group of people who feel this whole new version cheapens the legacy of the band. To understand how we Glenn fans feel, those who favor this version should ask themselves how they would feel if it was Don who passed and he was replaced. And, please don't say it could not be done. Their are some very good tribute bands who have singers who sound almost exactly like Don and could be used. Well, Don, Joe & Tim are all 70 now and they can't keep doing this much longer. Like Soda said, this too will pass.
    Thanks NKIT, so nice to see you! Absolutely agree with your opinion though I do think they will continue to tour in one lineup form or another as long as they can sell fans on the idea this could be the last run.

"Accept no substitutes" - Don Henley

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

I think they may have changed their minds when they saw the KCH

I think the deal to co-headline Azoff's Classic East/West in summer 2017 was being considered/planned well before the KCH in December 2016. Seems it would have to be.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    I think the deal to co-headline Azoff's Classic East/West in summer 2017 was being considered/planned well before the KCH in December 2016. Seems it would have to be.
    You might be right.

I have never liked Irving. He has destroyed the promotion industry as well as allowed the scalpers to scam every fan who wants to by a ticket.

He also sabbatoged thenrelease of Chinese Demcoracy

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Here is what Don said in his Rolling Stone interview in the fall of 2017 regarding Deacon and putting the band back together ...

"It's extraordinary what that young man has done. I saw him sing "Peaceful Easy Feeling" at his father's memorial service. As difficult as that might have been, he was so brave and composed. I'm sure, on the inside, he was churning. After a few months went by, I thought, "Why not see if he would like to be in the band?"

And ...

Did you ever question whether it was right to continue without Glenn?
    "Yes, I did. The only way it felt justified to me was to have family blood in the band."

So contrary to all of his statements of denial about continuing, by his own admission, Don was already thinking about reforming the band within months after Glenn’s passing.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I just went back and reread the last several pages of this thread, and was overcome by emotion. Yes - I was literally moved to tears.

I would like to thank everyone for their thoughtful, sincere, and respectful comments. It just reinforces for me what I already knew - this type of heartfelt communication is so much more powerful and persuasive in gaining understanding of others viewpoints than finger-pointing and confrontation.

WELL DONE BORDERERS!!!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Don H was clearly thinking about an Eagles reunion in 2016, but clearly hadn't decided by then. And, if you read articles from the time, it seems that it wasn't just his decision.

E.g. in September 2016, he was reported to have said:

At some point in the future, we might work our way round to it (reforming). You know, Glenn has a son, who can sing and play quite well, and one of the only things that would make sense to me is if it were his son (who played with us)
    But, in November 2016, he is reported to have said:

(That story) really p**sed me off, frankly, because I hadn't talked to the kid (Deacon) about it or his mother, so it's just another lesson in keeping my mouth shut.
    The latter quote is from an article saying that Don H has ruled out a reunion including Deacon, but if you read Don H's actual words, he doesn't. He was just annoyed that the discussion was in the press before he'd talked to the Frey family about it.

But, about the same time, the Washington Post reported Don H to have said:

I don’t see how we could go out and play without the guy who started the band.
    So, it's clear that in late 2016 Don H was still undecided about whether Eagles would continue.

The formal reports that Eagles would reform were in March of 2017. So, about three months after the Nov. 2016 statement that Eagles wouldn't continue.

Clearly, something changed his mind in the meantime. We can't know what caused him to change his mind, but I wonder if discussions with the Frey family were instrumental in this. Again, this is just random guessing, but I wonder if the Frey family, particularly Deacon, responded positively to Don H. shooting his mouth off in September 2016.

Obviously Deacon responded positively eventually at any rate, and I daresay they have made this venture very much worth his while. However, regarding Don's contradictory statements: I'm afraid Don has proven in this past year that he is fully prepared to dissemble about his plans for continuing the "Eagles" in interviews. It's very possible that what changed was simply the amount of money he was offered for the "Eagles" to headline the Classic East/West concerts. Certainly, his change of heart came at precisely the right time for them to fill that slot. One cannot know, but unfortunately, I have ceased to regard Don's word as trustworthy.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten