Page 63 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1353596061626364656667 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite TV Shows

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: Favorite TV Shows

That show “Botched” on the E Channel is strangely addictive. One of the doctors is the late Kevin DuBrow’s brother (singer for Quiet Riot).

I agree. Those Dr.'s are dedicated and you can't find that very often anymore. And they are super funny! I think I like it for the ridiculous cases that walk in. The folks that have had 50 cosmetic procedures and want more and the doc's refuse them!

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

My friend has gotten me into what is known as the Arrowverse: Arrow, The Flash, The Legends of Tomorrow, and Supergirl. While they go up and down in quality over their various seasons, they're holding my interest!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I'm watching Nashville again. I hear it's the last season.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

One of my favourites, The Americans, has just come to an end. A few years ago, the showrunners were given a two-season renewal and this gave them time to bring it to an end properly. This is a show that's worth catching as a box set.

It's a spy story set in 1980s Washington. The title characters are actually two KGB officers living as a typical american suburban family, complete with genuine teenage children. They have to juggle running a travel agency, parenting and interacting with their neighbours with their clandestine operations. It has heists, family drama, dark humour and can go from being very subtle to quite brutal. Nothing is black and white. You get to know the spies and even root for them whilst not really supporting their ideologies.

I just got into The Borgias...I started watching it on Netflix and had to buy it on DVD because it is so, so good. I've never binge watched anything but I could easily watch this until 5am (if it wasn't for work the next day!)

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
    I just got into The Borgias...I started watching it on Netflix and had to buy it on DVD because it is so, so good. I've never binge watched anything but I could easily watch this until 5am (if it wasn't for work the next day!)
    I'm assuming you mean the one with Jeremy Irons as Rodrigo and it's gorgeous. I particularly liked that they cast relatively young actors for the principle parts because the real people were young - teens and early twenties. Back in 1981, there was a series called The Borgias in which Cesare was played by a 37 year-old who looked his age. (At the time that really bothered me).
    There's another series called "Borgia" that came out around the same time as the recent "The Borgias" and, now you've prompted me, I think I'll give that a go.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I'm assuming you mean the one with Jeremy Irons as Rodrigo and it's gorgeous. I particularly liked that they cast relatively young actors for the principle parts because the real people were young - teens and early twenties. Back in 1981, there was a series called The Borgias in which Cesare was played by a 37 year-old who looked his age. (At the time that really bothered me).
    There's another series called "Borgia" that came out around the same time as the recent "The Borgias" and, now you've prompted me, I think I'll give that a go.
    Yes, I mean the one with Jeremy Irons. So, so good. It looks gorgeous and the acting is fantastic. I didn't know there was another series that came out at the same time...I'll have to check that one out too.

Stuck on the Border

I have been reading comparisons of the two Borgia shows. Opinions are divided.Having only seen one, I'm going to try and summarise what I've read.

The biggest issue with Showtime's The Borgias is that it's incomplete. It was meant to have a fourth season but it was cancelled and we miss out on the greatest successes and the downfall.

The Canal+ Borgia is a cheaper production, more violent, includes more detail and continues to Cesare's death.

Neither is exactly historically accurate as they both exploit the unproven rumours about the family. However, The Borgias applies too much modern morality. It makes it more accessible but maybe less true.

The Borgias was produced for an american cable company but it has an Irish writer/director, was filmed in Hungary and has a cast that is mostly British or Irish speaking British English (and one French-Canadian and one Dutch).

Borgia is a European production with an international cast speaking English in a variety of accents, intended to reflect how Rome was a melting-pot of different cultures. Rodrigo Borgia is played by an American actor with an American accent and that bothers some people.

The story is essentially the same but some characters play a bigger part in one than the other.

The two shows portray Cesare quite differently, but both versions are considered "interesting". One has Cesare as the older brother and one as the younger brother and this is a big influence on the character.

One thing that niggles me is the naming conventions adopted. The Borgia family were known by both the Spanish and Italian version of their names. What doesn't make sense is to use the Italian for one son ("Cesare") and the Spanish for the other ("Juan"). It should be Cesar+Juan or Cesare+Giovanni.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I have been reading comparisons of the two Borgia shows. Opinions are divided.Having only seen one, I'm going to try and summarise what I've read.

The biggest issue with Showtime's The Borgias is that it's incomplete. It was meant to have a fourth season but it was cancelled and we miss out on the greatest successes and the downfall.

The Canal+ Borgia is a cheaper production, more violent, includes more detail and continues to Cesare's death.

Neither is exactly historically accurate as they both exploit the unproven rumours about the family. However, The Borgias applies too much modern morality. It makes it more accessible but maybe less true.

The Borgias was produced for an american cable company but it has an Irish writer/director, was filmed in Hungary and has a cast that is mostly British or Irish speaking British English (and one French-Canadian and one Dutch).

Borgia is a European production with an international cast speaking English in a variety of accents, intended to reflect how Rome was a melting-pot of different cultures. Rodrigo Borgia is played by an American actor with an American accent and that bothers some people.

The story is essentially the same but some characters play a bigger part in one than the other.

The two shows portray Cesare quite differently, but both versions are considered "interesting". One has Cesare as the older brother and one as the younger brother and this is a big influence on the character.

One thing that niggles me is the naming conventions adopted. The Borgia family were known by both the Spanish and Italian version of their names. What doesn't make sense is to use the Italian for one son ("Cesare") and the Spanish for the other ("Juan"). It should be Cesar+Juan or Cesare+Giovanni.
    Interesting. I've read that the creator of The Borgias released the screenplay of what he intended to be the end of The Borgias, as a 2-hour TV movie. I haven't read it, but I've read reviews and people weren't happy with what he did with the characters. I'm in the middle of season 3 now, so I might read it when I'm done.

I didn't think about the naming conventions, but you're right..what did they actually go by in real life? Did they go by Cesare and Juan?

I've got to admit, though, I'd have a hard time seeing anyone else as Cesare...Francois Arnaud is fantastic, why did he not have a big career after this???
    Last edited by groupie2686; 06-18-2018 at 12:42 PM.