Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Out of Control: Eagles or REO?

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

Default Out of Control: Eagles or REO?

This question has been brewing in my head for a while. It came to my attention a couple of years back that REO Speedwagon did a cover of the "Desperado" album deep cut "Out of Control" for their 1975 album "This Time We Mean it," their last with then-frontman Mike Murphy, who was preceded AND succeeded by current leader Kevin Cronin. They're the most prominent band that I know of who has done an Eagles cover. I am aware that both bands did, at the time, share Irving Azoff as a manager, which might explain some of the impetus behind its recording.

The REO version is a far more polished rendition(complete with a horn section) than the Eagles' gritty, hard-rocking original. I personally am inclined to side with REO, which probably puts me in the minority on here. What say all of you? Who do you think did the better version of this (in both instances) obscured gem?

Eagles(1973): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkEW9HRLXME

REO Speedwagon(1975): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ztfVvv1HOY
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

Banned

Default Re: Out of Control: Eagles or REO?

Joe Walsh wrote a song with Mike Murphy. Second Hand Store from the 1978, But Seriously Folks! album. He's played guitar on a couple of Reo Speedwagon tunes too.

I've just listened to the Out Of Control cover, WS82Classics and I also think it's sharper and better than the Eagles original.

I agree with producer, Glynn Johns, the Eagles are an absolutely brilliant harmony vocal band but an unconvincing rock'n'roll band, at least until Joe joined.

Eagles covers by prominent bands and artists would include loads of Desperado and Take It To The Limit covers. The more obscure tracks, I can think of, are Stereophonics doing The Last Resort, Cher performing Those Shoes, and Bon Jovi, Please Come Home For Christmas (written by Charles Brown).

There was a recent MOR cover of Heartache Tonight but I can't remember who the singer was.
    I prefer the Eagles originals in all those cases.

Definitely the Eagles version for it's hard rockin' edge.

I love REO (afterall they're a home state band for me), but Murphy's voice doesn't do anything for me. Big Cronin fan though. I really love everything from "Tuna" onwards but REO TWO had some great moments and I loved their live album. I also liked their power ballads.

I personally feel like the Eagles were always a great rock n' roll band and disagree with Glyn Johns. They had untapped rock potential early on that was rarely seen on the first two records thanks to Johns billing them as being unable to do so. Big mistake on his part. Take a listen to Witchy Woman or Out Of Control. Maybe they weren't Zeppelin-heavy but they weren't Poco, CSN, or the Flying Burrito Brothers, either.

I think of them more of a rock supergroup and guitar band than a vocal harmony band, although I do like their vocal harmonies. I never saw them as a country-rock vocal band, although maybe that's because I don't care for classic country and bluegrass and am a guitar player.

From On The Border forward with Felder onboard it was obvious they were capable of GREAT guitar-heavy rock n' roll music and that's where they shine to me, not so much the great vocals thing. They just sadly had to make some personnel changes to make it even harder-edged (the addition of Joe Walsh and the exit of Bernie Leadon).
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I love REO and I didn't realize they covered OOC! Can't wait to hear it!

Don't have time to listen right now, but will try to get to it this afternoon!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Border Desperado

Thanks for the links WS82. I didn't know REO covered Out of Control either. I like their version, but I prefer the original. The less polished, rougher sound works for this song.

Don't know if it's true or not, but the comment on the YouTube video says REO won the song from the Eagles in a card game. If the Eagles had won, which REO song should they have covered?

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

OMG it finally makes sense now why I thought "Out of Control" sounded familiar when I heard "Desperado", I heard REO's version first. LOL My Dad is a huge REO Speedwagon fan. He has every album and just loves them (way more than my Mom, who is also a fan). When I was little my Dad would on his off days sometimes just blast his records (he still sometimes does), which I realized as I got older was him distressing from work, and that song I remember him playing a lot. LOL

With Eagles albums my parents just had both their Greatest Hits, but had a lot of Don's, Glenn's, and Joe's solo albums (and my Dad had a 45 single of Felder's). So I didn't really know the other songs off their albums till recently. I really liked hearing Glenn sing "Out of Control" and the style of it, but I just thought it sounded familiar because it sounded like other 70s & 80s songs I've liked. Now it just makes so much sense as I liked REO's.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

Quote Originally Posted by FWIW View Post
    Don't know if it's true or not, but the comment on the YouTube video says REO won the song from the Eagles in a card game. If the Eagles had won, which REO song should they have covered?
    With Frey on lead vocals, "Sky Blues" from the classic LP "Lost in a Dream."

Meisner could have also sung a MEAN version of either "Ridin' the Storm Out" or "Without Expression(Don't Be the Man)."

Rapid-fire alternation of lead vocal duties between the original four for "Golden Country," a la the song "On the Border"?
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

Out on the Border TequilaSunrise82's Avatar

I'd never heard the REO version and while I agree it sounds more "polished" I just prefer Glenn's vocal. But then again, I'm biased.

Border Rebel

REO can't hold a candle to the Eagles version although I do like what they do with it. Glenn just seems to do a more convincing job singing it. Also, when the Eagles used to do it live, it absolutely rocked!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Ok, listened! REO did alright, but I prefer Kevin Cronin's era with them.

And sorry, but no one can do it like the Eagles did! I've always loved their version! Maybe I'm biased, but they rock it!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten