Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Former Eagles will not be honored by the Kennedy Center later this year.

Default Re: Former Eagles will not be honored by the Kennedy Center later this year.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    It was a bit strange, so many photos and videos featuring just Don H and Glenn only, as if they were on their own.
    Exactly! Not cool, KCH

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Former Eagles will not be honored by the Kennedy Center later this year.

Disappointing. I wonder who put together the tribute. It won't have been the honourees.

Banned

I think Joe said the KCH award would be a fitting closure for the band. I don't agree.

I brought up the subject of iconic images in a thread about the Hotel California album, saying I have very few recent iconic images of the Eagles.

Well KCH has given me, what could be the closing image of the band. Sat in the audience, privileged seats mind, incomplete but families present, suited, clapping and waving, gurning for the cameras, wearing some kind of award with awful looking multi coloured ribbons hung round their necks. They may have been wearing name tags too.

I remember when it was all about the music....
    When Pete Townsend wrote "Hope I die before I get old" I think he meant he never wanted to become an associate of the corporate establishment. Well the Eagles are now embracing that with open arms.

Maybe it's a fitting end for the band members but it's a very unsatisfactory closure for this fan. At the end everybody except Glenn and Don became marginalized.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

I don't disagree with you, Mr. Funk. While I was pleased to read that Timothy enjoyed the KCH ceremonies, my impression was that (at least the broadcast portion we saw) made him and Joe look like sidemen. But at least they were acknowledged, which is more than one can say for The Three Who Must Not Be Named.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I think Joe said the KCH award would be a fitting closure for the band. I don't agree.

I brought up the subject of iconic images in a thread about the Hotel California album, saying I have very few recent iconic images of the Eagles.

Well KCH has given me, what could be the closing image of the band. Sat in the audience, privileged seats mind, incomplete but families present, suited, clapping and waving, gurning for the cameras, wearing some kind of award with awful looking multi coloured ribbons hung round their necks. They may have been wearing name tags too.

When Pete Townsend wrote "Hope I die before I get old" I think he meant he never wanted to become an associate of the corporate establishment. Well the Eagles are now embracing that with open arms.

Maybe it's a fitting end for the band members but it's a very unsatisfactory closure for this fan. At the end everybody except Glenn and Don became marginalized.
    Even for you this is very harsh.

Should they not have accepted the honour? Or 'some kind of award' as you call it, when it was explained to you on numerous occasions by American Borderers how prestigious it is. What were they supposed to do? Like it or not it is a formal occasion & they were required to dress formallly. I don't see how receiving this honour makes them part of the 'corporate establishment'.

Also, they were doing it for Glenn. He was excited & proud of this.

You say it's 'very unsatisfactory closure'. OK. I do actually see what you mean by this, believe it or not. Sadly, the events of last January meant that there could never BE a 'satisfactory' closure. It can't be about the music any more because that is over.

As for the omission of the three former members during the tiribute I can understand the disappointment of some here, but I would prefer not to comment further.
    Last edited by Freypower; 12-30-2016 at 05:50 PM.

I thought this thread was about wanting to see Bernie, Don F and Randy to be recognized at KCH. Would they be dismissed as glib, suit-wearing establishment huggers if they had been able to attend?

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Interesting comparison. Would you judge Pete Townsend by his own words, too? If so, here he is "embracing" with open arms (and you'll probably want to skip the first minute): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgkImkPbJhE

Apologies to fans of Bernie, Randy and Don F for continuing on this side-track. However, you can look at the way the members of The Who who were not named Townsend or Daltry were handled. The award was for Daltry and Townsend, not the band and although Keith Moon and John Entwhistle were shown in the mini-bio, they were very much sidelined. Even to the point of using "their drummer" and "their bassist" when describing their deaths.

I'm glad that "Eagles" were honoured rather identifying individuals. Going from the KCH introduction and after seeing the Townsend/Daltry one, it seems that the Kennedy Center might have been just as happy with making it Henley/Frey.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 01-01-2017 at 10:38 AM. Reason: spelling

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Ok anyway you slice it there are no winners here.

Glenn has passed away . He was such a driving force and. Probably the reason why there was even a band.

I think what ever they did it was gonna upset some and make others happy people.

Really folks there are no winners here
    Glenn has passed and the band as well.
    He would have wanted it to go on ,I am sure.
    I'm glad they were honored in what ever way it turned out !
    It did my heart good to see them all happy in the box with the president and their wifes and cindy and taylor.

I have my opinions about don felder and it really is irrelvent here. I think his true colors show througheven way back from the begining . Somepeople are impressed with their own significance and how important they thimk they are .( this applies to many people)
    It is what it is

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Interesting comparison. Would you judge Pete Townsend by his own words, too? If so, here he is "embracing" with open arms (and you'll probably want to skip the first minute): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgkImkPbJhE

Apologies to fans of Bernie, Randy and Don F for continuing on this side-track. However, you can look at the way the members of The Who who were not named Townsend or Daltry were handled. The award was for Daltry and Townsend, not the band and although Keith Mood and John Entwhistle were shown in the mini-bio, they were very much sidelined. Even to the point of using "their drummer" and "their bassist" when describing their deaths.

I'm glad that "Eagles" were honoured rather identifying individuals. Going from the KCH introduction and after seeing the Townsend/Daltry one, it seems that the Kennedy Center might have been just as happy with making it Henley/Frey.
    This year was more like Led Zepplin being honered without Bonzo but like Felder, Randy and Betnie he was made sure to not be sidelined

Unhappy Re: Why I no longer am happy with my favorite band

Wow, it has been about 3 years since I last came to this forum and so much has changed. The biggest and of course saddest news is the passing of Frey just about a year ago. I thought of coming back then, but had lost track of the forum for a spell, and was not really in any type of mood to think about the loss. Poor Meisner also had his share of heartache losing his wife to the tragic accident.

I must say that having just watched a few snippets of the Kennedy Award show where the former band members were not invited, really is another new low.
    It of course was appropriate to have Frey's wife there to represent him. However, I read a few weeks prior that Henley had made the decision not to include Leadon, Meisner, nor Felder for the ceremony, which is sadly typical of him.
    Even Frey's passing and thus staring his own mortality in the mirror didn't allow Henley to get past his own pettiness.

For all we know, poor Randy might not have been healthy enough (physically or mentally) to attend, but he still should have been invited. The same is true of Leadon and Felder. The Eagles would obviously never have been as successful for it not for those three members.
    Thus it was very fitting to have all 7 of them together at the R&R HOF induction.
    This time around it should have been all 6, with Frey represented via his family.

It really sickens me to think my favorite band no longer holds the same respect I use to have for them. This last bit of disrespect and pettiness toward the rest of the group is beyond explanation. Even the biggest Henley apologist cannot defend it with a straight face.
    Needless to say this comment does not apply to every member equally, though each has their own shortcomings/faults (except maybe Timmy)
    If Joe & Timmy had a say/vote, I'd bet they would have overruled Henley and said lets invite everyone. But with Henley now being the sole owner of the Eagle's franchise, doing the right thing was not going to happen.