Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Did they ask Bernie and Randy to be part of the reunion in 1994?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Did they ask Bernie and Randy to be part of the reunion in 1994?

Actually Don Henley & Glenn did sing on Randy's One More Song album.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Thank you for the correction, FP, I didn't search it from that perspective!

Stuck on the Border

Wow, there's some nasty stuff early in this thread. I'm glad that all settled down.

Going back to why there were no songs co-written by Randy or Bernie in the HFO TV concert, I had a further thought. There were only four songs where Bernie or Randy had a co-write but which were sung by someone else (Witchy Woman, Saturday Night, Hollywood Waltz, On the Border) and all of these were sung by Don Henley. As the show was already Henley-heavy, I don't think there was room without cutting Henley's solo material. Even then, I'd have rather they included "Peaceful Easy Feeling" and "One of These Nights".

Updated: Toni pointed out that Bernie had a co-write On the Border so I've included that.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 02-27-2016 at 10:15 AM.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Randy worked with Joe and Timothy on the first Richard Marx album. Randy and Timothy also performed "Take It to the Limit" with Marx at a 1988 television appearance.

You'll also recall that Henley and Frey contributed backing vocals on Randy's "One More Song" in 1980.
    Randy was very disappointed that he wasn't included on the Common Thread project. Bernie would have been ideal for that too. Bernie and Randy toured together in 1986 as part of a band called Black Tie.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Randy worked with Joe and Timothy on the first Richard Marx album. Randy and Timothy also performed "Take It to the Limit" with Marx at a 1988 television appearance.

You'll also recall that Henley and Frey contributed backing vocals on Randy's "One More Song" in 1980.
    Randy was very disappointed that he wasn't included on the Common Thread project. Bernie would have been ideal for that too. Bernie and Randy toured together in 1986 as part of a band called Black Tie.
    Given that Common Thread was about other musicians singing Eagles songs, and Randy & Bernie were former Eagles, I don't understand why Randy would have been disappointed at not being on that album. Not one Eagle appears on it.

Stuck on the Border

Don F complains in his book that they played no Randy or Bernie songs (including co-writes), and mentioned On The Border as one of the examples. Did they play that song live often in the early days? If not, why would they have played a rare track Bernie co-wrote now? Just to show people that "There are no hard feelings between us and the ex-members. Look we're playing one of their songs and giving them money"? I wonder if Don was concerned about this AT THE TIME? Somehow I don't think so, but maybe I'm wrong.

I know there were songs on HFO that hadn't been hits, but they were written by a person who was in the band at the time. Joe was there to sing Pretty Maids All In A Row etc. When we look at Bernie and Randy, there were two hits one of them had co-written. One of them was Randy's signature song, and if they had played it at that point, imagine all the whining: "Boohoo, they played Randy's song, but didn't invite him to sing it. They're trying to write him out of the Eagles history".

It's very childish IMO to suggest that the Eagles had some kind of a financial obligation to play Randy or Bernie songs. I know Randy complained about it too, but I like to think that he sees it from a broader perspective now.
    Last edited by chaim; 02-27-2016 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim
    It's very childish IMO to suggest that the Eagles had some kind of a financial obligation to play Randy or Bernie songs. I know Randy complained about it too, but I like to think that he sees it from a broader perspective now.
    Seriously. I've never heard Fleetwood Mac fans argue that the band should feel obligated to play Peter Green songs - much less play at least one song co-written by each one of their former members in concert. Why are expectations different for the Eagles?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Desperado SilverAcidRayne's Avatar

Whoa. My head is spinning from reading everything. Lol I would think they asked them but with personal reasons I'm thinking they didn't

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Given that Common Thread was about other musicians singing Eagles songs, and Randy & Bernie were former Eagles, I don't understand why Randy would have been disappointed at not being on that album. Not one Eagle appears on it.
    I don't know what Randy meant by that - maybe he wanted to be in the video, or maybe he thought that the other Eagles sang or played on the album.

And to what Soda says about complaining that they didn't cover any of his songs in concert: it is silly on the face of it. I dimly recall someone on these forums figuring that a performance royalty - even for a big-time band like the Eagles - would only amount to a piddling sum per year, less than $1,000.

But then didn't the Eagles (seemingly) respond to Randy's complaint by putting "Take It to the Limit" in their setlist? Just as we can never know what goes on in a marriage, we can never know what goes on in a band. Maybe there's something we're not understanding between these guys.

Timothy did sing backup on I Can't Tell You Why. Maybe Randy wanted to do something like that?