Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Versions of Eagles LP songs

Border Troubadour

Default Re: Favorite Versions of Eagles LP songs

Quote Originally Posted by cosec3791 View Post
    For Witchy Woman, really?? One of the WORST versions I ever heard.
    Yes, hence I said it. Never cared for Witchy Woman, not a single thing about it another Eagles song doesn't do a million times better. At least the HOTE is stripped back and has some good vocal harmony sections.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    My favorite version of Earlybird is from ABC 1973. Everybody is on point and seems to be really into it throughout... maybe partially because this was so early in their careers and they really wanted to put their best foot forward.

It has that great banjo solo at the end as they always did at the end live, but even more so, in this version, they have great energy from the crowd they feed off it. I mean the whole crowd, who is sitting because it's a TV audience, jumps to their feet clapping along at 3:08 two-thirds through the song as Bernie breaks it down and they just keep it up for the rest of the song.

So.. I'm going to do something scandalous... and link to YouTube to show you what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFGKWwT6aTo
    Thanks for this Soda! It’s been awhile since I’ve seen this one. Glenn is wearing another colorful shirt with character, lol.

These are my favorite versions although they are subject to change.

1. Take a It Easy - the studio version. There are some great live versions I love, particularly the 1974 Cal Jam and the 1977 Capitol Centre ones but the original LP one has that double-time banjo that they never did duplicate live.

2. Witchy Woman - 1976 Houston...even with Glenn’s flubbing the beginning guitar part, this arrangement rocks! I do miss hearing some of the bass flourishes that are on the album though. I don’t mind the HOTE/current version but I do think it’s not near as good as the ‘76 one.

3. Chug All Night - any live version is better than the LP one. They used the song to rock out at concerts. My favorite is probably 1974 Boston b/c Felder’s guitar adds real kick. I also like Henley’s drumming.

4. Most of Us Are Sad - album version works for me (not that there are other options).

5. Nightingale - I don’t have this one but I remember listening to a live version on YT; 1976 Nagoya maybe? At any rate I prefer the studio album. Great backing vocals on that one.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Thanks for the video soda. I love the energy of the crowd and the band in that video. I’ve never seen that one before

Favorites cont.

6. Train Leaves Here This Morning - 1973 BBC. The vocals are sweet and clear hear. And Bernie’s guitar is lovely.

7. Take the Devil - I love this song! While it’s unfortunate there is no live version, I don’t know if they could have captured the haunting desert mood of this live.

8. Earlybird - I’m sold on the 1973 ABC performance. Any live version that cuts down on the bird chirping is good with me.

9. Peaceful Easy Feeling - I go with the album version here. It’s so classic, though I really like Bernie’s b-bender work at the 1973 BBC Concert.

10. Tryin - like Chug All Night, this works better live. My fave is probably 1973 Berkeley though the 1974 Providence is good too. But the audio quality is weak.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

WOW - Thank You Soda ! I have never seen that video before. Bernie is amazing on the banjo and Glenn was sure playing a mean slide guitar. I tend to forget what a nice voice Bernie had. Was this one of those Midnight Specials that used to be on ABC back then ?

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Thanks for this Soda! It’s been awhile since I’ve seen this one. Glenn is wearing another colorful shirt with character, lol.
    Yes! I only wish the video were clearer so we could see that shirt a little better!

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    WOW - Thank You Soda ! I have never seen that video before. Bernie is amazing on the banjo and Glenn was sure playing a mean slide guitar. I tend to forget what a nice voice Bernie had. Was this one of those Midnight Specials that used to be on ABC back then ?

It was a series called In Concert. More info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Concert_(TV_series)

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    Yes, hence I said it. Never cared for Witchy Woman, not a single thing about it another Eagles song doesn't do a million times better. At least the HOTE is stripped back and has some good vocal harmony sections.
    Errr, I think you misinterpreted what I said, I said that the HOTE version sucks, and particularly harmonies lol. I actually like Witchy Woman!
    The chemistry... nuff said

These are my favorite versions although they are subject to change.

1. Take a It Easy - the studio version. There are some great live versions I love, particularly the 1974 Cal Jam and the 1977 Capitol Centre ones but the original LP one has that double-time banjo that they never did duplicate live.

2. Witchy Woman - 1976 Houston...even with Glenn’s flubbing the beginning guitar part, this arrangement rocks! I do miss hearing some of the bass flourishes that are on the album though. I don’t mind the HOTE/current version but I do think it’s not near as good as the ‘76 one.

3. Chug All Night - any live version is better than the LP one. They used the song to rock out at concerts. My favorite is probably 1974 Boston b/c Felder’s guitar adds real kick. I also like Henley’s drumming.

4. Most of Us Are Sad - album version works for me (not that there are other options).

5. Nightingale - I don’t have this one but I remember listening to a live version on YT; 1976 Nagoya maybe? At any rate I prefer the studio album. Great backing vocals on that one.

Yay! Finally someone choosing the format I did! Thanks Delilah!

Anyways, my opinions on your versions:

1. Take It Easy- the studio version is one of my least favorites, and that banjo is not really my cup of tea. I guess they completely omitted the banjo because they wanted to show themselves as a rock band.

2. Agree with Witchy Woman. Apart from Glenn, such a great version! Except that I mind the HOTE version. A lot. As for studio, well here's the thing: the first version I ever listened to of this song is 1976 Houston, so the studio version felt empty to me on my first listen.

3. Chug All Night was pretty good live, but I feel 1975 Seattle has the best Felder guitar parts for this song. He spices up the very first parts of the riff.

4. Nightingale only has 1972 Oklahoma. No other version is there. And they never performed this without Bernie

Favorites cont.

6. Train Leaves Here This Morning - 1973 BBC. The vocals are sweet and clear hear. And Bernie’s guitar is lovely.

7. Take the Devil - I love this song! While it’s unfortunate there is no live version, I don’t know if they could have captured the haunting desert mood of this live.

8. Earlybird - I’m sold on the 1973 ABC performance. Any live version that cuts down on the bird chirping is good with me.

9. Peaceful Easy Feeling - I go with the album version here. It’s so classic, though I really like Bernie’s b-bender work at the 1973 BBC Concert.

10. Tryin - like Chug All Night, this works better live. My fave is probably 1973 Berkeley though the 1974 Providence is good too. But the audio quality is weak.
    TLHTM- Almost everyone agrees on this one!

Earlybird- Same here. Almost everyone agrees on this one.

For PEF, interesting.

And for Tryin' I got to hear those versions. As for 1974 Providence, there is a higher quality Providence recording from May 20th. Dk if it will be as good as May 4th.

Border Rebel

[QUOTE=cosec3791;377812]Yay! Finally someone choosing the format I did! Thanks Delilah!

Anyways, my opinions on your versions:

1. Take It Easy- the studio version is one of my least favorites, and that banjo is not really my cup of tea. I guess they completely omitted the banjo because they wanted to show themselves as a rock band.

They omitted the banjo because Bernie couldn't very well play banjo and lead guitar at the same time. Even when Felder joined, Bernie always played lead on this song until he left.