Page 5 of 86 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Kennedy Centre Honorees

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Kennedy Centre Honorees

CONGRATS EAGLES!!!

This is AWESOME news and much well deserved. It's funny but Soda, Houston Baby, and I were discussing this just the other day. I was thinking that only individuals were eligible to be an honoree.I was actually going to check it out this week to see if that were true, but I guess I got my answer.

And I went ahead and merged the two threads that had been started. And just a reminder: While we appreciate folks being so diligent in posting info about the band, if you see that you have posted duplicate information that someone else posted first, you can always delete your post or thread yourself without moderator intervention.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border Witchy Woman's Avatar

That's effing awesome !! Looking forward to it !!

IABAD. I think for years it was individuals until Roger and Pete broke that tradition. Then again I don't know if it was for them or the whole group since two of their members are dead.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    IABAD. I think for years it was individuals until Roger and Pete broke that tradition. Then again I don't know if it was for them or the whole group since two of their members are dead.
    The past honorees list that VA posted says: 2008: Pete Townshend & Roger Daltrey of The Who. The first band or group honored was Led Zeppelin in 2012.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

FINALLY!!
    I am so happy for them! They have deserved this very prestigious honor for many many years in my opinion. As Dreamer said, we discussed it this past weekend and I was going to start another letter. I have been sending my little letter every year for about 10 years as the Center does take nominations that way. Now I can save my stamp and celebrate!

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Kennedy Centre Honourees

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    Wow! Indeed what an honor, and of course, the guys deserve it! I wonder why only the 4 current members being honored? Seems like they'd want all 7 members to be recognized. . Oh well, at least they're being honored!
    All seven members were honoured at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. This is somewhat different (having said that I don't know the criteria, but surely it has to do with current activity). Congratulations to them. I hope for shots of Glenn in a tux. I can't forget Robert Plant wiping away tears when Heart sang Stairway To Heaven.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Default Re: Kennedy Centre Honourees

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    All seven members were honoured at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. This is somewhat different (having said that I don't know the criteria, but surely it has to do with current activity). Congratulations to them. I hope for shots of Glenn in a tux. I can't forget Robert Plant wiping away tears when Heart sang Stairway To Heaven.
    True. I don't know the exact criteria myself (just that the honorees contributed to American culture). Since it's for actors,musicians, etc, I'm assuming that the criteria would be different for each group. Zeppelin were honored and they have little, if any, current activity as a group. Anyway, it doesn't really matter. At least it says "Eagles" and not just the guys' names.

Thinking of the RnRHoF induction makes me wonder what Joe Walsh will wear, lol.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

There's been a few posts here that discuss the current four vs. all seven. The Kennedy Center listed only the current four, and I seriously doubt that will change now. Also, this isn't like the RRHOF where people get to pick and choose and decide, although except for LZ, there's been no precedent. I'm not entirely certain an artist can decline the honor, although I'm not sure why someone would want to. So, no, I don't think this will be a bone of contention at least with the band, because I really doubt it's their choice.

To be honest, there aren't many honors out there, in the US, higher than this one for the Performing Arts. I guess I just want to make sure our worldwide members really understand what an absolute honor this is.

ETA: On the question of dress, it's a formal event and unlike the RRHOF event, elegance is the name of the game.

ETAA: On the subject of criteria, they pride themselves that there is no criteria. You do not need to be currently active, but if you're not, they may not think of you when deciding. You don't need a lot of awards, grammys, etc. They can induct whomever they feel deserves it for whatever reasons they may come up with behind closed doors.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    The past honorees list that VA posted says: 2008: Pete Townshend & Roger Daltrey of The Who. The first band or group honored was Led Zeppelin in 2012.
    I figured it was just Roger and Pete and not the whole group to be honored. So like I said earlier, Led Zeppelin were the first and the guys will be the second group to be honored.

Thanks AG.

But I always wonder who picks the artist to pay tribute to the honorees. Does the committee or the honoree. I always wonder about that every year.

When I watched the year Billy Joel was honored, he looked surprise that Don was there.

It's going to be interesting who will pay tribute to them and what songs they'll be singing. I think I have a feeling for Take It Easy and Hotel California, but not the other songs. They usually have 4 or 5 songs sung. I guess the next thread coming soon will be who should be asked and what songs should be sung. I so can't wait to see this December 29th.

I had found Billy Joel's whole segment on YouTube. I've been looking for 2 years because I wanted to see Garth's part again.

Also. If Don or the other guys are asked back to pay tribute to another artist, they get to wear their medal that night and the announcer will say "Ladies and gentlemen. 2015 recipient of the Kennedy Center Honors, blank blank."