Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Third Brother

Stuck on the Border Thirsty&Hot's Avatar

Default Re: The Third Brother

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    I am also curious about Timothy's brother(s) and especially his dad - what happened to Danny Schmit?? Has he passed on? His mom is in a home in Sacramento. Or about 1st wife Noreen? Never been able to find anything. His nephew is facebook friends with Tim's kids. It gets to the point where it feels inappropriately stalkerish, since they're private people that, from what I can tell, Timothy doesn't publicly discuss, at least in the present tense, so at some point I stop looking. I feel better knowing that others are curious. I am sort of fascinated by average people who have an extremely wealthy, famous, successful sibling.

Oooh sorry, just realized this is a Glenn thread. Will stop talking about TBS.
    I think we've probably all been there (with any favorite celeb) Mary... it's interesting! and also ..I dunno about you, but I have hopes that I'll find a candid picture I haven't seen before of the famous relative. feels like a secret treasure.
    If I can't have it all, just a taste will do...

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    I just came to the board to post it elsewhere, it came up in a Google alert, and yes, he talks about put his brother through college.

http://www.theuncool.com/2013/05/13/...ling-stone-75/
    Just wanted to say that I grew up with Matt Frey. My name is Pete Stieler. I met him when he was our paper boy in Royal Oak. He delivered The Daily Tribune. My brother was the same age as Matt and I am a year or so older. His folks, Nel & Ed lived at the corner of Maplegrove and Catalpa in Royal Oak. We lived at 1212 Lawndale in Royal Oak. I have many fond memories of Nel in the kitchen, turning up a transistor radio until it buzzed saying "That's Glenn! That's Glenn!". In the early 70s, we went to movies together...Westworld, Rollerball (the one with James Caan) and many others. We formed a band in 1975. My brother Scott Stieler was the drummer and I played guitar. Jim MacPhee was our bass player. I have a huge number of great stories and hope to share them. I also have photos of Matt from those days. I'll try to post some. I'd like to locate Matt. We made a number of Super 8 movies back in those days. Glenn gave him a nice camera and we made our own versions of "The Ghoul"...a host (Ron Swede) of scary movies on Saturday nights on WKBD Channel 50, Detroit. We put a lot of effort into making the sets and imitating The Ghoul. Would love to see those movies again one day...if they are still in existence. Matt, if you're out there, please post a note on this website. Thanks.

Welcome, peepers! I love to hear stories like this, but Matt has never contacted me and I have no reason to believe he reads the website. If you still would like to share some memories, though, feel free!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Yes, Peepers59 share your wonderful stories!

Out on the Border

So you want to hear some stories about Matt Frey, eh? Well...we had some great times. Matt and I were guitar players, my brother Scott was our drummer and Jim MacPhee was our bass player. Jim & Scott were experienced players and were the backbone. Matt and I were learning how to play guitar. Glenn had given Matt a beautiful guitar and a Fender Twin Reverb amp. We started playing up in his bedroom at the corner of Maplewood and Catalpa. It wasn't easy, but we muddled our way through "Sister Golden Hair" by America, "Turn to Stone" and "Walk Away" by Joe Walsh. Glenn taught "Big M" how to play "Take it Easy" but we struggled to play anything all the way through. Patience was not a strong suit for Matt and that led to some hostilities. But we held on to the dream of making it big and stuck to our guns. Keep in mind that my brother Scott was closest to Matt. I was older and more square. Matt was intimidated by me to some degree, I think. Matt didn't practice as much as us but he wanted the same results when we jammed. I wasn't afraid to call him out on that and we butted heads often. It's too bad. Matt slowly became "Glenn Frey's brother" and it was almost impossible to speak to him without some form of vitriol spewing from his mouth. He protected his brother from us when he visited by insisting we not speak or interact with him at all. No cameras, no questions! I remember Glenn coming home to visit his family in the spring of 1975. Glenn's hair was long back then, and he wore a shirt that had what looked like the FORD logo on it, but it said FART. Sure made us laugh. He rented a piano and had it delivered to Nel & Ed's house. We were invited over to hear him play a new song he had just written that was sure to be a hit. So there Glenn sat down and played "Take it to the Limit" for us and we were all speechless when he finished. Nel had tears in her eyes. My brother and I looked at each other and realized Glenn was very right. That song was going to be a hit!

Welcome Peepers. Great stories and we all look forward to hearing more from you. Have you looked at the picture I found/posted and can you verify that it's THE Matt Frey? Also have you checked out the Harmony River Band site? Curious minds want to know!
    You were just too busy being FABULOUS....

Victim of Love

Thanks so much for the stories, Peeper! As VoL said, we would love to hear more.

The Harmony River Band Facebook page claims that the Matt Frey in the band is Glenn's brother. Good luck with your search.

Quote Originally Posted by peepers59 View Post
    I remember Glenn coming home to visit his family in the spring of 1975. Glenn's hair was long back then, and he wore a shirt that had what looked like the FORD logo on it, but it said FART. Sure made us laugh.
    Does this look familiar?

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

First of all – thanks for sharing your stories, peepers. It is very interesting and what a privilege for you all to have gotten a preview of Take It To the Limit way back in 1975. You all may have figured that the song would be a hit, but I bet you didn’t have a clue that you were privy to a song that would become rock and roll legend.

As I read your story, I kind of felt very sorry for Matt. It must be both a blessing and a curse to be the sibling of a very famous person. I would love to hear what others thoughts are about this, but it seems to me that maintaining your own identity must be very difficult, especially for a younger sibling. Going through life always as ‘<insert famous person’s name> brother’ would have to be tough and conflicting. The comparisons are inevitable and it’s no wonder that the sibling might develop an inferiority complex. However, at the same time, they must feel very proud and protective of the famous sibling’s accomplishments. I’m not sure that it’s a very enviable position.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Hi Peeper and welcome!! I got the goosebumps hearing your story about hearing Take It To The Limit!!!