Page 33 of 39 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: How did you become a fan of the Eagles/a specific Eagle?

Border Troubadour

Default Re: How did you become a fan of the Eagles/a specific Eagle?

Quote Originally Posted by LuvTim View Post
    And I think that documentary was an eye-opener for a lot of people.
    So true. I liked the Eagles from the mid 80s on and TITTL was my favourite song. It wasn't until a few years later that I discovered Don H and Glenn had been in the the band duh!! I was already in love with Don since BOS but I have to say he had slightly fallen off my radar. Then, the HOTE documentary was a real eye opener for me. I really began to admire all of the band (apart from Mr Felder of course - he's a narcissist) and my love for Don H became an OBSESSION - I just completely and utterly adore him!!!!
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

I wonder what the strange power of HOTE is, that it can turn casual fans into hardcore Eagles freaks. Or more likely, it's that the band is inherently fascinating and hadn't been sufficiently focused on before.

I forgot this. I remembered seeing The Eagles on CMAs performing How Long. I was like what are the Eagles doing on the CMAs, but I enjoyed their performance.

Hi, guys, I've been on the road all day today, so missed you all!
    Love hearing these stories, for sure. I've loved the Eagles since the 70's (I may have already said that) but I was really a kid back then. I bought the Greatest Hits album (my first LP) in 1976, I think, with my allowance money! Wasn't even old enough to hold a job! I always thought they were a hot bunch, no doubt, but Timothy was a known factor from Poco, as well. You know, we used the word "cute" a lot in those days, and Timmy was cuuute! Well, darn it, so was Randy...well, they all were cute! As the years went by, I got married and raised a family, so the radio was really my source of music because we didn't have buying albums in the budget! So thank goodness for classic rock stations, which I still listen to frequently, but not so much these days since we have the jump drive in the car and keep all of Poco and the Eagles in there at all times! So great to have that! Lately I've rediscovered vinyl and am now in the market for vintage copies of whatever Eagles material I can find. And truly, HOTE really flipped a switch in my brain, somehow. I started to remember how really great they are and how I really loved them. Now I'm crazy about Timmy all over again, and, with all due respect to his lovely wife, he's still so, so cuuute!

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    I'm a newbie. I was born the same year the Eagles broke up. I was 5 months old. I was about to turn 6 months 3 days later. I had heard of Don and Glenn back in the 80s, but didn't know they were in a group. Heck I don't think I knew their names, just their faces. I actually didn't like Don or Glenn back then. I remembered The Heat Is On from Beverly Hills Cop, but I don't remember seeing Glenn on Miami Vice even though I grew up watching that show.

Fast forward to 1994. In 1994, I started to branch out and started listening to other genres. My favorite genre was country. My mother didn't approve of me listening to (excuse me for saying this), white people's music. I was only allowed to listen to rap and R&B.

So sometime either in 1994 or 1995 (I can't remembered), I remembered watching HFO. I kinda fell in love with their music, but wasn't a fan yet. When I first heard their were two Dons in the group. I was like which one is Henley and which one is Felder. You have to remembered I didn't know their names. I did started to like Don when I first saw them on tv.

So years gone by and I was still a closet Eagles fan. I did have some of their songs on my mp3 player (maybe between 10 to 15 songs that I've heard on the radio), but still wasn't a fan. It wasn't until 2013. I was flipping through the channels or reading the Uverse guide and saw HOTE was on Showtime. I didn't sit down and watched it at that moment. All I knew it was coming on every single day. Every time I was looking at the guide on my Uverse, it was on. So one day I finally sat down and watched it. I was so memorize by the documentary. I think I slowly started to like the Eagles. My love for Don was coming back to the surface. He became my favorite. Oh how I love those baby blue eyes.

When I first watched it, I was not impress with Glenn. I didn't like what he did to Don F, but as I continued to watch HOTE over and over again, I started to like Glenn. Its funny that I always thought Don was the boss of the group. Not Glenn. I understood why Glenn did what he did and I thought it was a good decision because the guys probably wouldn't be together today if they had continued.

I also learned about Bernie and Randy. I didn't know who they were. I remembered seeing them at the RRHOF. I was like who are these guys. I didn't even know that was Randy singing TITTL. I always thought it was Timothy. I don't know why I couldn't tell them apart, but back then I didn't know who was who. I remembered Bernie in the band Run C&W. I had heard of the band, but I didn't know he was in the band.

Today. They are my favorite band. I had knocked the Osmonds to no. 2. I always go through this phase of having a favorite singer or group and listen to nonstop. My favorite now is the Eagles. This phase has gone on for 2 years now. I still watch HOTE every single day and I still haven't gotten tired of watching it yet.
    Shun,
    This is so awesome! I love the Eagles a lot, trust! But even I don't watch HOTE every day! That's real dedication, Love.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    I wonder what the strange power of HOTE is, that it can turn casual fans into hardcore Eagles freaks. Or more likely, it's that the band is inherently fascinating and hadn't been sufficiently focused on before.

NMB, I think you've got it right!
    I would love to know more and more about them, now that the fever has been renewed!

Quote Originally Posted by DivineDon View Post
    So true. I liked the Eagles from the mid 80s on and TITTL was my favourite song. It wasn't until a few years later that I discovered Don H and Glenn had been in the the band duh!! I was already in love with Don since BOS but I have to say he had slightly fallen off my radar. Then, the HOTE documentary was a real eye opener for me. I really began to admire all of the band (apart from Mr Felder of course - he's a narcissist) and my love for Don H became an OBSESSION - I just completely and utterly adore him!!!!
    OMG, DD, how can anyone look at those photos of 1970's Don and not swoon! My gosh! And he's still flashing those baby blues!

I love reading these stories, too. The documentary certainly stirred the Eagles pot, and while there was some fallout, the fact that new fans have been attracted - or obsessions amped up - shows that in the end, it was successful.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Witchy Woman's Avatar

I grew up with the Eagles music, as my parents played it all the time. I remember thinking Don had a great singing voice, and I made sure to learn as many lyrics to songs as I could. I didn't see what they looked like until they broke up and Don and Glenn had their own solo careers. As a teenage girl, I remember thinking Don was as cute as he was a fantastic singer. I bought Building The Perfect Beast on cassette tape, and played it til it almost broke. I also bought The Allnighter, and listened to that as well. When CD's first came on the scene Hotel California was the first one I ever bought. I remember buying End Of The Innocence as well, and keeping the long box it came in for many years. Don looked so cool crouched down holding his cigarette. I also kept the GQ magazine with Don on the front for over 20 years (they got lost when I moved ).

When they announced they were getting back together, I almost pissed myself with happiness. I was so excited the day the MTV special came on (I recorded it on VHS) and I watched it many, many times. I was a little upset about the ticket prices (I was a kid with no job), but my awesome grandmother gave me the money so I could go. The date I was supposed to go was the date in Philly that got postponed due to Glenn's diverticulitis. I cried because I didn't want to wait to see them !! I had to wait until March of '95, but the absolute joy I felt seeing them for the first time was worth it. I have continued to see them every time they come to my area, as well as Don solo. I am proud to be fan for almost as long as I've been alive, and I have also immortalized them on my skin, because that's what I do, and I don't give that honor to just anybody.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Wow! WW - I didn't realize you got to see a Hell Freezes Over show. Now, I'm very !

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016