Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of the "Solo Collection"

Default Re: Happy Anniversary to the "Solo Collection"

Well, this was released in 1995, when the Eagles had "resumed" and blown everyone away with how popular they still were. The record company probably wanted to put it out ASAP before the HFO fever faded, which meant taking what he had and running with it.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Celebration of the "Solo Collection"

Well - Just wanted to make mention that today is the 16th anniversary of the release of Glenn's Solo Collection. This is a good compilation album for anyone who wants an introduction to Glenn's solo music, and even has four really good "new" songs that are discussed earlier in this thread. Here is the cover art ...

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

As I said earlier in the thread, I absolutely adore "This Way to Happiness." It's one of my top 15 Glenn solo songs. The other new ones don't do as much for me, but they're still enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    I think what he should have done was record After Hours and Just South Of Sunset. He could have changed the title of JSOS. The melody is very promising.
    Yes, it's a shame a gorgeous song like "After Hours" remains unreleased. I believe "Just South of Sunset" might have been cool, too. Maybe he should do what Stevie Nicks does and dig up those old unreleased songs and stick them on a new album alongside new material. Who knows what other gems are on tape cassettes that he's stuffed in a box somewhere? I'd also argue for the inclusion of "Ain't It Love" - yeah, it's technically been released - in freaking Japan! Why deprive the Western world of a great song? I'm totally serious! He could always re-record it with a different arrangement if he doesn't want to use the exact same track.

If only!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    As I said earlier in the thread, I absolutely adore "This Way to Happiness." It's one of my top 15 Glenn solo songs. The other new ones don't do as much for me, but they're still enjoyable.

Yes, it's a shame a gorgeous song like "After Hours" remains unreleased. I believe "Just South of Sunset" might have been cool, too. Maybe he should do what Stevie Nicks does and dig up those old unreleased songs and stick them on a new album alongside new material. Who knows what other gems are on tape cassettes that he's stuffed in a box somewhere? I'd also argue for the inclusion of "Ain't It Love" - yeah, it's technically been released - in freaking Japan! Why deprive the Western world of a great song? I'm totally serious! He could always re-record it with a different arrangement if he doesn't want to use the exact same track.

If only!

If only indeed, and I wish, I wish, I WISH that there could be some more solo work. I would take ANYTHING. Anything.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

So do I! I LOVE Solo Collection but I too am sure Glenn has enough hidden gems to easily release another very high quality CD!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border

But if he takes the same attitude as he does with the Eagles then anything he doesn't use is thrown away.

I try to avoid speculating about this because unfortunately it isn't much fun.

I understand, FP - but I do have to add - he didn't throw away After Hours...

Stuck on the Border

You say he didn't throw it away but there's no studio recording of it; only the radio performance & the Royal Oak performance. I'm just glad that he still considered it worth playing. I don't remember when the radio show actually was (Royal Oak was in 2000).

I believe the interview was right before the Royal Oak show and promoting it, but I could be mistaken. My version doesn't include the interview.

Glenn seems to have an exceptional memory. I suppose he could have just been playing it from that, but even so, it was still simmering in the back of his mind for him to pull out 15 years later.

Glenn played After Hours on the Mark & Brian Christmas Special 1997. I couldn't remember the year so I just listened to the clip. He said then that it was only about the 3rd time that he had played it live. It was from his "martini & black tie period" (The Allnighter era). He had Danny Grenier & Brian Garofalo with him for that performance.
    Last edited by GlennLover; 04-01-2011 at 05:03 PM. Reason: addition