Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn the axeman!

Default Re: Glenn the axeman!

I thought the idea that Japanese made goods are 'cheap' was discredited long ago, but I won't say more than that. I see your point, TK, but I am sure Glenn's motives were honourable. Why should they give Clinton a guitar they didn't even play? They played Takamines. It is a souvenir of them, not some statement about America versus Japan.
    FP; It's not a statement about Japan. It's supporting American made products. They most certainly play Gibson, Fender, Taylor & other guitar brands. American manufacturers are going out of business left & right, by other countries producing cheaper products, & paying slave labor & having kids in their factories.

I don't think the rest of the band has a promotional deal with Takamine. Normally endorsement deals are done on an individual basis. Various guitar players in other bands have endorsements with several guitar companies.
    I'm sure Glenn didn't mean to make a political statement & his intentions were good, but to Felder & others it was just tacky.

Very good point, FP. I know I would be much more interested in getting a guitar from the Eagles that they actually play rather than one they didn't play purely for the sake of political correctness. And I too believe that if the guitars sucked, Glenn would not play them, much less personally endorse them. He is hardly so desperate for money that he would put his name on crap. Far from it!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    Scarlet Sun

Are you even kidding me here??? Waste a really good guitar on him??? This is the PRESIDENT of the United States... It was a signed guitar as a gift, not for him to play.. In fact this move was very politically incorrect as the US is in the crap hole due to people buying cheap stuff from Japan & China. Don't even get me started on this one.... If Frey was Japanese, it would be a political gesture, but this is an American band.They could certainly afford to give the President an American made guitar...Would have been more appropriate. This move was tacky..
    Right, but we're talking about the Eagles and Bill Clinton here

Well, they certainly play other guitars besides Takamine. I have seen them play 6 or 7 different guitars in one show. They aren't all Takamine. I've even seen Felder play about 15 different guitars on the Christchurch video.

Like I said, I don't think Glenn was trying to make any kind of statement with the guitar, I just wish he would have supported an American company.
    Just my opinion, but I see I am in the minority on this one. I certainly don't want to argue this. I'm only saying that I could see Don Felder's point on this.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Well, they certainly play other guitars besides Takamine. I have seen them play 6 or 7 different guitars in one show. They aren't all Takamine. I've even seen Felder play about 15 different guitars on the Christchurch video.

Like I said, I don't think Glenn was trying to make any kind of statement with the guitar, I just wish he would have supported an American company.
    Just my opinion, but I see I am in the minority on this one. I certainly don't want to argue this. I'm only saying that I could see Don Felder's point on this.
    Well, to give him an electric guitar (to support the 15 guitars Felder played per show) would not be good unless it came with an amp and then it just gets messy. The point I was trying to make is that the Takamine is the acoustic guitar played the majority of the time on stage, as far as I can see.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

I can see both sides of the argument & I agree that it was better to give him a guitar that they actually played. JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    I can see both sides of the argument & I agree that it was better to give him a guitar that they actually played. JMHO
    Well they can give me any guitar they like but American guitars are the best for playing.

On that California Jam footage its amazing how Glenn plays the riff throughout the song whilst singing! That is not easy to do.

I'm sure Glenn didn't mean to make a political statement & his intentions were good, but to Felder & others it was just tacky.
    Perhaps Felder didn't consider any aspect other than the material value and potential political connotations of the gift.
    For all we know, the Takamine could be played on Clinton's favourite Eagles song!

I wholeheartedly agree that I would prefer something they played - with personal meaning - rather than Felder's suggestion of a custom-made Gibson with the Eagles logo inlaid. That, to me, sounds tacky.
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Well, to give him an electric guitar (to support the 15 guitars Felder played per show) would not be good unless it came with an amp and then it just gets messy. The point I was trying to make is that the Takamine is the acoustic guitar played the majority of the time on stage, as far as I can see.
    An electric guitar could have been given. I don't expect that Bill Clinton would actually be playing this guitar. People have autographed guitars as mementos & hang them on the wall in the office. Do you really think Clinton is actually playing this guitar??? I really doubt it.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I guess we'll never know TK! I mean he COULD play it an odd time to relax, but just doesn't want the fact to be public! I mean lots of my colleagues wouldn't know that I play (a bit) at home! But I suppose a guitar is a fitting present for a rock band to give to anyone, same as an Artist would give a painting, an Author would give a book, or a sports star would give something associated with the sport!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP