Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "The Long Run"!

Default Re: Celebration of "The Long Run"!

WOW...can't believe it's thirty three years since my love affair with a certain long haired bass player started...I was only a baby at the time...I remember very well the first time I heard him sing "I Can't Tell You Why"...fell in love with that voice in an instant...and haven't stopped yet!

Happy Anniversary to "The Long Run"

Border Rebel

I think one of the things I liked most about this album is that Glenn actually got to sing more than one song, even if the others were co-leads. To me, it's a very dark album, more riff oriented than what they were used to doing, but I still love it now all these years later.

The Long Run certainly has a lot of dark material (or at the very least, dark humor) but I think Hotel California set us up for that - every song on that album has a bleak element. Even "Try and Love Again" is somewhat forlorn - yeah, he'll TRY again, but there's no indication that he's going to succeed! In the same way, The Long Run tinges any positive messages with some negativity.

The cynical song summary:

The Long Run - "MAYBE we'll make it. Time will tell. Have I mentioned that I think you should work on your self-esteem issues and examine your personal motivations?"

I Can't Tell You Why - "Yeah, I'll stay with you... I can't explain why I would want to, though. We're miserable so much of the time that I contemplate walking away on a regular basis."

In The City - "I can't wait to get out of this urban hell!"

The Disco Strangler - "DIE, Attention Whore! DIE!!"

King of Hollywood - "Hi, I trade industry favors for sex. However, before judging, please understand that I'm not very well endowed."

Heartache Tonight - "Hey! Rock out to this fun party song that predicts the inevitable misery of at least one, if not several, of the people around you desperately trying to score!"

Those Shoes - "Sorry, honey, it's impossible for hot women to be seen as anything but a sex object. Anybody who tells you differently is just telling you what you want to hear in order to get you into bed. Now that we've got that straight - have I told you how much your shoes turn me on, pretty mama?"

Teenage Jail - "You won't have much of a life until you're over 18. Deal with it."

The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks - "Also, once you get into college, what you'll think is a fun social life is actually incredibly lame."

The Sad Cafe - "Don't you miss hanging out with our struggling musician friends back in the day when we actually cared about changing the world and weren't obsessed with money? Of course, we didn't have any money then... I don't miss THAT part! Anyway, it's too bad most of our friends didn't make a fortune like we did and are still dirt poor. Let's raise a glass of Cristal to them."

Yeah, not exactly uplifting. lol

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

First of all ...

HAPPY 33RD ANNIVERSARY TO THE LONG RUN!!!

Soda, I love your 'cynical song summary' - very funny! Actually, I think the cynicism goes back to the very beginning of the band - take Peaceful Easy Feeling for example ... "I found out a long time ago, what a woman can do to your soul" - not exactly a happy place. To me, the ability to make cynical, dark subject matter so listenable was one of the band's real gifts.

As far as The Long Run - I agree that it is an underrated album, especially when it comes to tracks like Those Shoes, The Sad Cafe, King of Hollywood, and even GDWNF. To me, it is a really good album albeit a bit uneven. With the exception of a couple of tracks, I think the songs are excellent.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Soda! That was too funny!

You know, I never even thought about all of this. I don't delve in to the songs so deeply and try to figure out what they mean. All of that just usually goes right over my head! I just listen and if I like the melody, it's all good!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Brooke - I probably overthink. Some would argue that it be better if I could just chill and appreciate the song instead of cringing at lyrics like "There's no yes in yesterday" or getting turned off by songs like "Frail Grasp on the Big Picture" because I perceive the lyrics as condescending and self-righteous. The "literary criticism" treatment of lyrics lessens - or in extreme cases, even ruins - my enjoyment of some pieces of music. On the plus side, it makes me appreciate the well-written lyrics even more, and heightens my enjoyment of those songs. The majority of Eagles music falls into the latter category, which is one reason why I like them so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Actually, I think the cynicism goes back to the very beginning of the band - take Peaceful Easy Feeling for example ... "I found out a long time ago, what a woman can do to your soul" - not exactly a happy place.
    You know, it's funny, I always took that to be a positive line - like a woman can bring a man's soul to the highest heights! I can easily see how it could be read cynically, though.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO THE LONG RUN.....WOW 33 YEARS!!! Ouch!

I really love this album, as it introduces Timothy into the band. As a long time fan of Poco, I knew what he was capable of, and he did not disappoint and "I Can't Tell You Why" became his most well known hit... However...I also find this a dark album....The themes of the songs are gloomy... almost depressing, but the songs themselves if taken individually are brilliant!! It was the beginning of the end, as it has been nicknamed, "The Long One" taking forever to produce. The arguing among the band members was at an all time high, & they were on the verge of a break up. A sad fact that soon became the inevitable. Even the black album cover has an ominous tone. All that aside, I do think it's an underrated album. Maybe to some fans, not one of their best, as it received mixed reviews from the critics, but overall I love this album!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by scottside View Post
    I think one of the things I liked most about this album is that Glenn actually got to sing more than one song, even if the others were co-leads. To me, it's a very dark album, more riff oriented than what they were used to doing, but I still love it now all these years later.
    I would agree with this if in the case of Teenage Jail he had in fact sung the entire song; why he didn't I will never know & unfortunately because it is the worst track on the album it isn't much of a showcase.

As for King Of Hollywood, I love the song but Glenn's part is not that easy to hear on the studio version.

There are a couple of tracks on this album which most people love & which I now find boring and/or tedious. Normally when we talk about the album most people criticise Teenage Jail & Greeks & in Soda's case The Disco Strangler. For me it's The Long Run & In The City, both of which are in the band's current setlist, both of which I really don't care for at all, but I realise that I am alone in that opinion.

An aside, Soda, I am sorry that you 'cringe' at 'there's no yes in yesterday' because it appears to be affecting your enjoyment of what is a superb performance.

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

HAPPY 33RD

ANNIVERSARY****

THE LONG RUN

TT

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Wow, it's funny, I always took that to be a positive line - like a woman can bring a man's soul to the highest heights! I can easily see how it could be read cynically, though.
    That is odd, Soda. I'm exactly the opposite - Of course, I know that PEF isn't on The Long Run, but since we were talking about the band's cynicism, that is one of the first songs I think of as being somewhat dark once you get past the soothing melody and vocals. It never occurred to me that the lyrics were anything other than cynical, but I see what you are saying. I guess the verse is the main reason that I have a darker interpretation of the lyrics.

'Cause I got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know you won't let me down
    'Cause I'm already standing on the ground'

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016