Page 119 of 166 FirstFirst ... 1969109115116117118119120121122123129 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,190 of 1651

Thread: Eagles.... 3.0

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by FreyFollower View Post
    I don't think you can get an accurate tally of how the majority of Eagles fans feel one way or the other from social media or concerts. I would guess that a tremendous amount of their fans are in their mid fifties to early eighties. This age group often has little computer knowledge to care about Facebook , or the physical stamina required to attend stadium concerts.
    They are no less fans.
    Yes, I agree they are no less fans. If you look carefully at my comment I pointed out that "even concert-goers make up a small slice of a band's fandom." As far as social media/FB usage I guess it may differ for people but my MIL, aunts, and their friends are more active on FB than my nieces and nephews. My teenage daughter is only vaguely interested in FB and hasn't even asked for an account, unlike twitter. It's just no longer popular or cool among younger millennials and Generation Z (too many old folks from what I've read). When I said I use other internet sites, I was referring to those related to music fans in general, not just Eagles fans, which I believe gives a broader, more objective overview of general public opinion.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Sorry, I wasn't meaning to counter your post. I agree with it. I was just adding another aspect as to how opinions may be different than some evidence would indicate.
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Stuck on the Border

I'm certainly sorry if some feel like those of us who are against the Eagles continuing are somehow judging them for it. That just isn't the case, IMO. We may be outspoken but we aren't upset at those who like this, but we are going to disagree and I feel it's more than fair for us to have this thread, and those who like this have the anticipation threads and review threads. If it bothers you to read it, please don't feel the need to come in here. It's true, it's a negative look.

Perspective is everything. I feel like those of us who are against it are in the minority. We even have some critics contemplating Glenn's absence as a good thing (I'm looking at you, Bob Lefsetz, you worthless journalistic piece of trash).

EagleInKansas, while it may not be ok to begrudge someone for thinking the new lineup is the best, I would certainly disagree with them openly and that's fact. I wouldn't hold back in letting them know why I have such a problem with that.

The fact is, Glenn put in the work, he along with Don formed the band, wrote the songs, picked the best musicians, and did all of that. He paid his dues. To think a song would be better without him and his hard work and intuition is disgusting to me. The thought makes me shudder. Vince didn't do squat as far as contributions, and of course Deacon didn't because he wasn't there. But the thought that someone might see the band better off without him is unfathomable, not saying anyone here is, but like Soda was saying it's something I'm sure could happen.

Stuck on the Border

Austin - Thank you again for stating exactly how I feel.

I have to say I was shocked when I saw on the Fast Lane FB that someone had stated what Bob Lefsetz said. I could not believe he could say such a thing as like you say, they are singing songs written by Glenn and Don any where from 38 - 45 years ago. How he could say this new version is better than the Eagles who created all that incredible music is beyond me. Lefsetz should be ashamed of himself for writing such crap. In all fairness to Vince, I'm sure he would be the first to point out to Lefsetz how wrong he is.

As I stated earlier, Deacon is a very talented kid and has a bright future ahead of him. I would venture a guess that Deacon would also disagree with Lefsetz's statement.

Banned

I'm most confused by the fact that so many people believe they are somehow the protectors of Glenn's legacy. Obviously we can never truly know the wishes of the deceased unless we hear them first hand, and none of us had that access in Glenn's final days. But if we are to believe Don and, by extension, Cindy Frey, the only person Glenn wants protecting his legacy is Deacon. He is probably looking down and wondering why so many are acting as martyrs against a cause that he actually supported. I have to believe that Glenn is basking in the continuation of the mammoth entity that he created and wishing everyone would. The Eagles are making no attempt to pass their current lineup off as a duplicate of the Glenn years and are in fact honoring him with his "replacements." I can't seem to summon an opposite argument, except one based in misguided emotion.

Also, it's quite the dichotomy to be assured that we're not being judged for enjoying the current Eagles, but that if someone liked this group TOO much, he or she would be verbally corrected. I'm unable to reconcile the difference. Once one understands that this group only exists in current and previous form because of Glenn Frey, and recognizes that everyone involved has already reached that conclusion and is nurturing it, it's much easier to enjoy what we have. It's all we have.

Stuck on the Border

Austin said it well. Certainly when I say "I'm glad for the people who enjoyed it", I MEAN it.

This may sound horrible to Glenn fans, but I'm one too, so I have no fear in saying it. I think it's possible that over a half of the people who go to see them today - or went to see them in the last years when Glenn was still with us - don't know the members and therefore have no clue that there's the crucial founding member missing. Some of them may think when they hear NKIT that the singer's voice has changed. Why do I say this? Because tons of people seem to think they're going to see ELO when they go to see the tribute group The Orchestra. (And most people who go to see Kiss today probably don't care whether it's Ace or Tommy up there.)

When Glenn died, it was hardly acknowledged here in Finland. So if this current "Eagles" came here, most of the audience would probably be casual "fans" who enjoy Hotel California when they hear it on the radio, and they don't even know who Glenn was. So they would have no idea what they're missing. Nah, maybe I'm raving about nothing....

EDIT:

When I wrote that post I'd forgotten all the Glenn tributes at the concerts. But still, people who don't know who he was aren't likely to be moved by the tributes as much as those who did.
    Last edited by chaim; 07-25-2017 at 05:30 AM.

Banned

I've read that Glenn said Deacon, looks better, sings better, plays the guitar better than him but doesn't write better songs. So, as long as the new Eagles stick with the songs already written, it sounds like an improvement to me.

Unfairly judging the show from the YouTube clips, Henley looked the weakest link out of the multitude on stage.

Stuck on the Border

I take comfort from the evidence that the people who knew Glenn best seem to be ok with carrying on. Yes, I know they have vested interests and that will have played a part but there isn't that "Glenn would be rolling in his grave" feel to it.

At Classic West, the reaction was emotional. Allowances were made because it was the first show without Glenn and it turned out better than many feared (possibly that's what Lefsetz meant rather than they are better now). As they do more shows, that will wear off.

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I've read that Glenn said Deacon, looks better, sings better, plays the guitar better than him but doesn't write better songs. So, as long as the new Eagles stick with the songs already written, it sounds like an improvement to me.

Unfairly judging the show from the YouTube clips, Henley looked the weakest link out of the multitude on stage.
    And this sounds like trolling to me.

As usual.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Had Glenn Frey not been replaced enabling Henley, TBS and JW to reinvent themselves as the new Eagles all we woud have left is what ... the old unimproved Eagles? Wow.