Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Question in "Try and Love Again"

Banned

Wink Re: Question in "Try and Love Again"

Meisner performed a couple versions of this song - one acoustic, one with band - during the tour supporting "One More Song."

Default Re: Question in "Try and Love Again"

Quote Originally Posted by peneumbra View Post
    Meisner performed a couple versions of this song - one acoustic, one with band - during the tour supporting "One More Song."
    I didn’t know he ever did an acoustic version. I’ve heard a live recording of this song from 1978 and 1982. Did you see him perform back then peneumbra? I’d love to hear any info you might have about Randy’s shows.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Banned

Cool Re: Question in "Try and Love Again"

I've always been very impressed with Meissner's musical abilities, both as a bass and guitar player and of course as a singer.

I was able to see quite a few of his gigs on the tour for "One Last Song," which I thought was a great record. Don Francisco was the drummer for that tour, and I'd known him for about a million years, back to when he was playing behind Linda Ronstadt; his regular tech got ill at one point, and I became his defacto drum tech.

Somewhere in the middle of that period - the "Last Song" tour - Meissner did a private show at McCabe's Guitar Shop on Pico Blvd. in L.A. I don't remember who the show was for - likely record company folks - but Jon Stewart was there, and Waddy Wachtel, and all the usual suspects.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Wow, that would have been so great to see a private show - any show of Randy's!

Banned

Cool Re: Question in "Try and Love Again"

A lot of artists play at McCabe's - it's been around for about 50 years - but personally, I'm not fond of it.

The stage is tiny, it's about as dark as a cave inside, and the acoustics are awful. But it's sort of a mandatory place to play when you're in L.A...

I would love to hear Randy's acoustic version of TALA.

There's another place I could have seen on my LA trip last summer, McCabe's Guitar Shop. Guess I'll just have to go back...

Quote Originally Posted by peneumbra View Post
    I've always been very impressed with Meissner's musical abilities, both as a bass and guitar player and of course as a singer.

I was able to see quite a few of his gigs on the tour for "One Last Song," which I thought was a great record. Don Francisco was the drummer for that tour, and I'd known him for about a million years, back to when he was playing behind Linda Ronstadt; his regular tech got ill at one point, and I became his defacto drum tech.

Somewhere in the middle of that period - the "Last Song" tour - Meissner did a private show at McCabe's Guitar Shop on Pico Blvd. in L.A. I don't remember who the show was for - likely record company folks - but Jon Stewart was there, and Waddy Wachtel, and all the usual suspects.
    May I just say it's Meisner. One S 😌

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by East Texas Girl View Post
    I would love to hear Randy's acoustic version of TALA.

There's another place I could have seen on my LA trip last summer, McCabe's Guitar Shop. Guess I'll just have to go back...
    Yeah, it sounds worthy of a rock pilgrimmage. When I was reading Peneumbra's post I was thinking, "Why have I never visited there?" OK, it's going on the list. I remember Nancy Wilson (of Heart, not the jazz singer) did a live album from there some years back.

Do you all look at the Henry Diltz Photography Facebook page? Every now and then he'll ask something like, "Am I the only one who remembers that McCabe's used to have little shop at the front of the Troubadour as you walk in?" I guess he is the only one, because no one ever seems to share that memory.

Oh look, Jackson Browne played McCabe's yesterday: https://www.instagram.com/p/BfbmmUADHQr/

I believe i have a photo of the eagles performing "try and love again" in 1977. can anyone confirm this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

i say this photo could be them performing try and love again, because Walsh is using his gretsch guitar, which he only used for witchy woman and turn to stone, but for those songs, frey played with "old black" not an acoustic guitar, and it looks like frey and randy are the only ones singing during this photo, which means that it could be try and love again. Also felder is with his gibson, which he mostly used whenever he played lead guitar, which supposedly he did for try and love again in concert. anyone else think this could be it?