Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: THE ORIGINAL FIFTH EAGLE

Border Rebel

Default Re: THE ORIGINAL FIFTH EAGLE

I wasn't aware that Judee Sill wrote "Jesus Was A Crossmaker" about JD, but I loved her version of that song the first time I heard it. The Hollies also covered it on their ROMANY album back in the early 70s. I thought they did a nice job of it also, albeit more produced.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Here is a new interesting article about Irving - https://www.billboard.com/articles/b...zoff-power-100

During the HoTE tour, there was something that made me think that the guys were grossing (or maybe even netting) $1M per show each, personally. I can't remember how I arrived at that, but I got the impression that they weren't going out on the road, at their age, leaving their families etc... for less than $1M per show, per guy (yes, I know Don and Glenn made more than T & J...)

The numbers described in this article would definitely support that, and they don't even include merchandise.

And before anyone says Irving and the guys have enough money ...just ...don't. I saw an article last week describing how Nicolas Cage has lost $150M - happens all the time to pro athletes. I'm all for everyone, famous or not, making as much money as possible during their lifetime, if it is legal and if they can and want to work, especially if they are using some of it to help good causes and their extended families have good lives they otherwise wouldn't have had. Good for Irving.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Say what?! Delilah Mae, what's your source on this? It would be very uncharacteristic of Mr. Azoff.
    I read it somewhere - an article or book, I can’t remember. I’ll have to go thru my “archives” and find it. I’ll then post the link.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I can kind of see an argument for Smith. He's co-written 5 songs, which puts him on par with Timothy (and Jack Tempchin, incidentally).
    Timothy - ICTYW, Do Something, Long Road Out of Eden; which 2 am I missing?

Jack - PEF, Already Gone, Girl From Yesterday, Somebody, It’s Your World Now

Steuart - Waiting in the Weeds, Business as Usual, No More Walks in the Wood, Center of the Universe, Do Something

As much as I love Waiting in the Weeds, it seems Jack has contributed more in terms of songwriting than Smith (i.e. 2 hit songs). Aside from WIW, Jack’s LROOE songs are preferable to Smith’s, IMO. I would put Jack next in line after JD.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    Here is a new interesting article about Irving - https://www.billboard.com/articles/b...zoff-power-100
    I read this article too and I was shocked that Irving owned Madison Square Garden and the LA forum - I had no idea.

I don't really like the notion of a "fifth eagle" or "sixth eagle" (other than actual members of the band). The Eagles were the band members. However, in terms of which collaborator contributed more, I agree it was JD, but what about Jackson Browne? Without him, there would have been no Take It Easy. He also wrote Nightingale and co-wrote Doolin Dalton and the reprise. While that is one less song than Steuart, the impact of Take It Easy makes him a more important collaborator than Steuart, and as much as Tempchin.
    Last edited by groupie2686; 01-26-2018 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Timothy - ICTYW, Do Something, Long Road Out of Eden; which 2 am I missing?
    While he didn't write or co-write them, I thought since one might consider "Love Will Keep Us Alive" and "I Don't Want to Hear Any More" significant contributions in terms of his lead vocal, I should probably throw them in. However, I realize since we'd been talking in terms of songwriting, not everyone might consider those relevant. That's why I used the term "on par with" rather than "the same as" - to give my post a bit of wiggle room.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
    I read this article too and I was shocked that Irving owned Madison Square Garden and the LA forum - I had no idea.

I don't really like the notion of a "fifth eagle" or "sixth eagle" (other than actual members of the band). The Eagles were the band members. However, in terms of which collaborator contributed more, I agree it was JD, but what about Jackson Browne? Without him, there would have been no Take It Easy. He also wrote Nightingale and co-wrote Doolin Dalton and the reprise. While that is one less song than Steuart, the impact of Take It Easy makes him a more important collaborator than Steuart, and as much as Tempchin.
    The limit of Jackson Browne's contributions ended with the Desperado album. I have never understood why people think he is so important to the Eagles, Take It Easy or not. At least Souther & Tempchin continued their collaborations beyond the second album. I just don't agree that he can be labelled 'the fifth Eagle' because of one song.

Quote Originally Posted by scottside View Post
    I wasn't aware that Judee Sill wrote "Jesus Was A Crossmaker" about JD, but I loved her version of that song the first time I heard it. The Hollies also covered it on their ROMANY album back in the early 70s. I thought they did a nice job of it also, albeit more produced.
    Hi SS, thanks, I have not heard the Hollies cover and need to go check it out!

Edited to add

Yay, found it on Youtube, and yes, they did do a very nice job. Did Graham Nash produce both Judee Sill's and the Hollies versions?
    Last edited by Dawn; 01-27-2018 at 02:33 PM.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Stuck on the Border

Jesus Was A Cross Maker also appeared on Warren Zevon's Mutineer album. Until now I had assumed he wrote it.

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    Hi SS, thanks, I have not heard the Hollies cover and need to go check it out!

Edited to add

Yay, found it on Youtube, and yes, they did do a very nice job. Did Graham Nash produce both Judee Sill's and the Hollies versions?
    I think Graham Nash was gone by the time the Hollies recorded it. This was recorded during Allan Clarke's hiatus so they had a Swedish lead singer for the ROMANY album.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by scottside View Post
    The book Hotel California gets into the story of Judee Sill. She apparently had a thing for David Geffen and was injured in a car accident(hit by Jim Nabors !) and suffered serious back injuries. That apparently started her decline. A sad story for sure.