Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You Wanna Sing WHAT?!?

Banned

Cool You Wanna Sing WHAT?!?

Somewhere in my vast hall of archives (two garages and a huge storage building), I have some tapes I made of The Eagles rehearsing some of the songs they performed - or didn't - back in maybe '73 or '74. Since I've been ordered to "clean all that old s--t up" by my partner, She Who Must Be Obeyed, I will attempt to find said tapes as I get all that stuff organized. Don't hold your breath…

Anyway: One song I recorded was a spirited cover of that great Motown hit "Pappa Was A Rolling Stone." Sounded pretty good, too, with Meisner doing the high parts ("WELLWELLWELLWELL") and Henley singing the baritone.

As I recall, Frey wanted to do the thing as an encore, acapella, with everyone wearing matching suits and doing those cool Temptation dance moves, but was quickly outvoted ("No, Glen, we're not going there") by everybody else.

Another great idea that never saw the light of day...

Border Rebel

Default Re: You Wanna Sing WHAT?!?

I would kill to hear that!

Border Desperado

i’ll offer free clean up assistance for a chance to hear that tape

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

That's awesome!!!
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Stuck on the Border

Wow - I would love to hear it.
    I can't imagine Glenn wanting them all to dress like the The Temptations or Four Tops for their encore-lol. I bet an acapella version of that song was awesome.

Great song and not at all surprised at Glenn's enthusiasm ... heck, if anyone could pull something like that off it would be Glenn.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Quote Originally Posted by peneumbra View Post
    Anyway: One song I recorded was a spirited cover of that great Motown hit "Pappa Was A Rolling Stone." Sounded pretty good, too, with Meisner doing the high parts ("WELLWELLWELLWELL") and Henley singing the baritone.

As I recall, Frey wanted to do the thing as an encore, acapella, with everyone wearing matching suits and doing those cool Temptation dance moves, but was quickly outvoted ("No, Glen, we're not going there") by everybody else.

Another great idea that never saw the light of day...
    Wow, I would LOVE to hear their rendition. Not to mention be a fly on the wall to see their expressions—esp. Bernie’s— when Glenn made that suggestion, lol. At least Glenn got his wish about the matching suits with the LROOE tour.

Thanks for sharing that memory, peneumbra.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Wow, I would LOVE to hear their rendition. Not to mention be a fly on the wall to see their expressions—esp. Bernie’s— when Glenn made that suggestion, lol. At least Glenn got his wish about the matching suits with the LROOE tour.
    Thanks for sharing that memory, peneumbra.
    Delilah - LMAO regarding this part !
    I hated the funeral suits. Rock stairs, IMHO, should not be dress looking like that.

I’d love to hear that song if we could figure out some way to upload it on here. The stuff you have is incredible!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Delilah - LMAO regarding this part !
    I hated the funeral suits. Rock stairs, IMHO, should not be dress looking like that.
    They should be nicely carpeted.