Page 31 of 78 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus

Default Re: Corona Virus

Well my governor has done a Safe Return order for everybody to go back to work on June 1st. No more close businesses. I've been back to work everyday since the beginning of this month. So I was already at work. At this moment, we don't know if the offenders will be back in our building, but right now they still have to report over the phone until further notice. ETA: I just heard right now from our big boss that we will continue this for another month. I'm happy with that.

As for gatherings: If you can't do social distancing, 20 people for indoors and 50 for outdoors. If you can, 50 people for indoors and 100 for outdoors.

If my church decides to start letting the people come back to church. As much as I miss my church, I will not go back until its safe. Some say that church is safe. Their have been a few outbreaks from going to church so I don't believe that. SO I will continue to watch from home. So our governor put a restriction on choirs singing, it looks like that's out until further notice. I'm proud of my pastor and he will know when its safe to get better back into church, but right now he hasn't said anything.

Some say Walmart or any store is not safe, but church (or any place) is much safer. We haven't had any outbreaks at any of our stores which is good.
    violates their constitutional rights", I just have to deal with it.

Our numbers in my counties are keeps going up. I've been following my county, new cases from each day: 5, 6, 16, 39(today's numbers). Its not getting better for Hinds County. even if the capital city is in that county, they need check and see what's going on.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 05-28-2020 at 03:12 PM.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Dreamer, the thing is, how do we know our numbers are correct? I've heard a lot of different sources that say a lot of deaths are being reported as due to Coronavirus that actually weren't. So our true numbers are possibly much lower. This frustrates me on the whole thing. Why can't they report correctly?........They (hospitals, etc) get lots more government money when they say it's due to C19! Scam in my book!

I hope you brother's family gets back to normal soon. Prayers for them.

I hope we ALL do!
    This got me wondering how COVID deaths are counted in the USA and I found this article from Scientific Amercian
    Perhaps, the best clue as to whether COVID-19 deaths have been undercounted or overcounted is excess mortality data. Excess mortality is deaths above and beyond what would normally be expected in a given population in a given year. CDC data shows a spike of excess mortality in early 2020, adding up to tens of thousands of deaths.
    ETA: For a comparison across countries, this Economist article has charts and statistics.
    Between March 15th (the week New York passed 50 official fatalities) and May 9th, the city recorded 20,100 official covid-19 deaths, according to the revised estimate. This figure is 86% as high as the 23,500 excess deaths from all causes registered in the same period.
    After New York City, the most affected area in the United States has been New Jersey, which has a similar population and suffered 12,300 excess deaths between March 15th and May 9th. The state only includes people who tested positive in its official death toll, which was 9,100 in the same period—74% as high as the excess.

In the UK, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) also looks at excess deaths and these show a spike that is greatly in excess of just those as identified as Covid-related. If you look at section 3 on this link, you'll see a graph that may be helpful. Deaths registered in England and Wales w/e 15 May 2020

Last edited by UndertheWire; 05-28-2020 at 05:39 PM.

Dreamer, the thing is, how do we know our numbers are correct? I've heard a lot of different sources that say a lot of deaths are being reported as due to Coronavirus that actually weren't. So our true numbers are possibly much lower. This frustrates me on the whole thing. Why can't they report correctly?........They (hospitals, etc) get lots more government money when they say it's due to C19! Scam in my book!

I hope we ALL do!
    I'm not sure I believe that all of the numbers are falsely reported to that degree. I think some institutions might do it for kickback, but not as many as some might think. It is disturbing to think about, but at this point I just don't think we can say it is happening to anywhere near the degree that is being talked about. I think that this idea is knocking on the door of being close to people trying to stir up conspiracy about COVID and some out there (although none of us here are) are still denying it or still trying to downplay it (which is just insanity at this point). I think I'd err on the side of caution when hearing people talk about it.

I remember after Joe Diffie died seeing a lot of Facebook postings about how he really didn't die of COVID but it was reported as such to either stir up attention or for some other nefarious reason. His widow had to come out and set the record straight. The last thing she needs to be worried about is her late husband getting strung into a useless debate about coronavirus being a hoax or hysteria. He had died of COVID-19.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/n...racy-theorists
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Now, for an update on my brother's family. They were tested again at the three week mark and, unfortunately, all of them are still testing positive. So, they have to go another three days with no symptoms before they can get tested again. Once my brother tests negative, he must wait another week before he can return to work. Since my sister-in-law is a nurse, she has to test negative twice and then wait a week after that before returning to work.
    My best wishes to them for a complete recovery soon, Dreamer.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

And the thing about Joe DIffie's death was he came out 2 days before his death and said he had tested positive for Covid-19. SO I don't know why the media questioned what he died of when he came out and said he had Covid-19 two days before he died. Plus we really don't know how long he had it before he came out and said he had Covid-19.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    And the thing about Joe DIffie's death was he came out 2 days before his death and said he had tested positive for Covid-19. SO I don't know why the media questioned what he died of when he came out and said he had Covid-19 two days before he died. Plus we really don't know how long he had it before he came out and said he had Covid-19.
    Exactly, shun.

This is just sad. It reminds me of when Alex Jones started saying things about the Sandy Hook tragedy and crisis actors and so then a lot of his deranged fans went and started attacking the parents of those kids.

To a lesser extreme, that's similar to how some talked about Joe's death being reported as COVID was fake and his widow having to take time out to set the record straight when she was grieving. It's just wrong.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I hope we ALL do!
    Brooke, I agree that we will never know what the true numbers are. But, in addition to the reasons several others have already mentioned, a few other things that make me believe the number of COVID-19 cases are being under-reported here in the U.S. is that there is increasing evidence that some states are skewing their numbers so that the number of confirmed cases/death don't spike too much as a result of reopening.

But, the main reason I say the numbers are under-reported goes back to what I've been harping on all along ... testing, testing, testing! We will never have an accurate reporting of cases in this country as long as we are only testing people who have symptoms. There is a very high probability that there are millions of undiagnosed cases here.

The president himself said early on in this pandemic that he didn't want people tested because it would reflect a huge spike in the number of confirmed cases. Yep - he actually said that. And, he also acknowledged that we surpassed over 100,000 deaths from the virus this week.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Brooke, I agree that we will never know what the true numbers are. But, in addition to the reasons several others have already mentioned, a few other things that make me believe the number of COVID-19 cases are being under-reported here in the U.S. is that there is increasing evidence that some states are skewing their numbers so that the number of confirmed cases/death don't spike too much as a result of reopening.

But, the main reason I say the numbers are under-reported goes back to what I've been harping on all along ... testing, testing, testing! We will never have an accurate reporting of cases in this country as long as we are only testing people who have symptoms. There is a very high probability that there are millions of undiagnosed cases here.

The president himself said early on in this pandemic that he didn't want people tested because it would reflect a huge spike in the number of confirmed cases. Yep - he actually said that. And, he also acknowledged that we surpassed over 100,000 deaths from the virus this week.
    Well said Dreamer.

I'm glad that one of the hospitals near me has now opened up their drive thru testing service to people without a doctor's order. You can just drive through and get a test if you are concerned. This is how it should be! Prior to that, you had to have a doctor ordering it. You get a number on a paper. Using a website to see your results and you put in that number and see yours. No waiting for a phone call, no needing a doctor.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

That is great that you can get tested without a doctor's note, Walshfan88. In CT you still need one, I think it helps with supplies, we have a lot of tests collected daily, and always a concern if we will run out of appropriate swabs. But of course everyone should get tested that feels concern.

There are many things that will hinder getting an accurate count regarding infected, deaths, recoveries etc. For starters, asymptomatic individuals will skew counts, mildly affected most likely won't get tested either. I also believe the virus was here earlier than originally thought. I know at work, we had a lot of patients coming in with shortness of breath/ flu like symptoms that were negative for flu earlier in year. Also people talked about feeling really run down with a lingering cough that wouldn't subside for weeks.

Lastly, testing if not collected, processed correctly, can lead to false negatives, as well as testing done not within the correct "window". Meaning if tested too soon the virus can be at low numbers below the threshold. Also some testing methodologies aren't as accurate as first thought and the virus mutations can interfere with testing accuracy as well.

It's quite complex, and we may never know. Hopefully we will continue with declining numbers. Stay safe everyone.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Numbers of both confirmed cases and deaths have plummeted here in Ireland now thank God with the numbers per day now in teens or single units for cases and just single units for deaths. We have made some strides in exiting lockdown and can travel within our own county/20km from home if we cross county boundaries. Some retail outlets have reopened but with social distancing of 2m in place and masks strongly recommended. Still no hair and beauty salons open or pubs, restaurants colleges, churches or creches. Public transport capacity is down to 20% of normal and they really only want workers to travel. Some takeaway restaurants have reopened including McDonalds!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP