Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Unpopular Eagles opinions

No longer in Southern California.We're now in Northen New York, the St. Lawrence Valley. :)

Default Re: Unpopular Eagles opinions

I'm not crazy about "Witchy Woman". I think it's because the image of the "raven hair & ruby lips" reminds me of the skanky girls, that to me as an awkward teenager, were the ones who got the cute guys. I never wanted to be like them, though. I just resented them-maybe even envied them. I skip it every time.

Quote Originally Posted by MarthaJo56 View Post
    I'm not crazy about "Witchy Woman". I think it's because the image of the "raven hair & ruby lips" reminds me of the skanky girls, that to me as an awkward teenager, were the ones who got the cute guys. I never wanted to be like them, though. I just resented them-maybe even envied them. I skip it every time.
    I never got that vibe, as I was a very sheltered pre-teen at the time. I just thought it was a fun, "spooky" song, with very cool drums!
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Quote Originally Posted by takeiteasy View Post
    "Journey of the Sorcerer"
    I know this Eagles song isn't very popular among the fans of the band, but I love it. It's a very good approach to progressive rock: Bernie Leadon made an awesome work here, his banjo is incredible and you can almost hear the sounds of the desert. He was a gifted musician, it's a shame he wouldn't make more things like this in his solo career.
    I think the live version is more powerful than the recorded one. Enjoy it!

https://youtu.be/2ufdz0BbEjc
    I agree with you. I find this song to be an epic, sweeping, cinematic piece that shows real genius. Perhaps it doesn't "fit in" to what an Eagles track might traditionally sound like but it was brave of the Eagles to step outside of the box.

The live version rocks!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
    I'll share a few...

-I don't care for I Can't Tell You Why or One of These Nights, and I absolutely can't stand Those Shoes.
    -I prefer Hotel California to open the show instead of as the first encore.
    -I like The Girl From Yesterday and Learn to Be Still and would count the latter as one of my favorite Eagles songs, ever.
    -I think, in general, Randy's songs were superior to Tim's.
    Agree with all points made here!

Also that the OOTN album was their stringest set

My most unpopular opinions are;

.Hotel California was there least interesting album still ahd good songs but there were no surprises for me on it just generic sound
    .Their first no 1 singles Best of My Lvoe and OOTN are anything special, the latter I feel is an unsuccessful hybrid of their sound with Disco
    . Teenage Jail maybe simplistic but it's awesome! with a badass guitar riff, nice synth solo, dynamite traded vocas by Henley Fry displaying their individual strengths and Felder's simple but effective solo at the end- what a package even if the lyrics are genuinely terrible :P
    Same Dancers in the Same Old Shoes

Quote Originally Posted by Pippinwhite View Post
    I like "I Wish You Peace." It's a nice song, and is a sweet note to mark Bernie's exit from the band.

"The Last Resort" has a fine message, but is way too long, IMHO. It's overwritten and should have been tightened up -- a lot. It's self-indulgence carried a little too far. Brevity, they say, is the essence of wit. HC succeeds because it tells that creepy little story that keeps you interested. LR puts me to sleep after a while. Four minutes should have been the cutoff. That would have forced Don to "write tight". I suspect it would have been a better, more effective song.

Again, all very much My Humble OPINION!
    Agree with this point too, I hate Last Resort it almost has no subtlety to it IMO and is a bore the complete wrong way to do a long narritive song because Henley never really changes his inflection (see Lyin Eyes for that type of song being done right)

Also I wish You Peace is one of those songs where I liked it, then didnt like it because others pointed out to me why they didnt like it, then came roudn to realising I still like it i spite of other's valid arguments against including henley calling it cocktail music. It works best in context as a placcid ending to the very Soft Rock dominated OOTN album which was a very arranged album, it fit on it perfectly....IMO
    Same Dancers in the Same Old Shoes

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well - I never weighed in on this thread so I'll do that now since it's been revived.

For starters, I am one that doesn't think there is any such thing as a bad Eagles song. However, some are, obviously, better than others. The songs I think are the weakest are Take the Devil, Earlybird, and The Disco Strangler. Some of the more unpopular songs that I really like are Visions, The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks, Love Will Keep Us Alive, Learn To Be Still, and I Love to Watch a Woman Dance.

Now, something about some fan opinions that I disagree with is when they don't like post-reunion Eagles songs because they sound too much like 'solo' songs. First of all, I would argue that much of that mindset is simply because the band members actually had solo careers in the 80's. And just because something sounds like a solo song doesn't mean it's bad. I would also argue that there were just as many of the 70's songs, especially from Bernie, Randy, and Joe, that sound like solo songs as well, but we don't think of it that way because it was before their solo careers (except Joe). I think what it boils down to is some fans don't like Eagles song that sound like Don or Glenn solo songs.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by OntheBorder74 View Post
    Agree with all points made here!

Also that the OOTN album was their stringest set

My most unpopular opinions are;

.Hotel California was there least interesting album still ahd good songs but there were no surprises for me on it just generic sound
    .Their first no 1 singles Best of My Lvoe and OOTN are anything special, the latter I feel is an unsuccessful hybrid of their sound with Disco
    . Teenage Jail maybe simplistic but it's awesome! with a badass guitar riff, nice synth solo, dynamite traded vocas by Henley Fry displaying their individual strengths and Felder's simple but effective solo at the end- what a package even if the lyrics are genuinely terrible :P
    I don't agree that Hotel California was their least interesting album but I don't think it's their best, and that in itself is an unpopular opinion!

"Waiting in the Weeds" A song which could has been a very good one but it became a wasted chance because Henley put all the metaphors he knew in it. In my humble opinion this song is overloaded and it's too long. Now I realize why Frey and Henley were a very good tandem of composers: they balanced each other.
    I like it though, I listen to it from time to time but... what about "Pretty Metaphors in a Row" as an alternative title?

My unpopular opinion is I don’t think it’s so great that the band tries to sound just like the record at their live shows. Some spontaneity and ad-libbing serve live performances well, especially at rock concerts. I think the band would get a lot less grief from critics if they hadn’t tried to replicate note for note what they did in the studio.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Quote Originally Posted by takeiteasy View Post
    "Waiting in the Weeds" A song which could has been a very good one but it became a wasted chance because Henley put all the metaphors he knew in it. In my humble opinion this song is overloaded and it's too long. Now I realize why Frey and Henley were a very good tandem of composers: they balanced each other.
    I like it though, I listen to it from time to time but... what about "Pretty Metaphors in a Row" as an alternative title?
    Ouch!

I must admit I can't agree with you there!

A song I find highly overrated, though, is "Life's Been Good." Just a joke song, really, with a catchy riff.