Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
I haven't heard this album of Glenn's, but I'm a huge Randy Newman fan. I think Randy has captured real sadness in this song, once again. The helpless people on the streets who have no control of their lives deserve a voice. You could take this song in two ways. It's either

a) an asshole singing to the girl he's selling around, OR

b) a song about two people on the streets who really ARE in love, but have no other way to survive but to have the girl have sex with paying customers. I don't know what Randy meant, but I know that he's a person who really cares about people. So another interpretation of the song is that the guy is telling the girl: "I love you baby, and I'm sorry for this crap you have to go through. But soon we will have enough money to start a new, better life together".

Either way, Randy is on the girl's side, that's for sure. It's a tragic song and it breaks my heart.
Mine as well. PLEASE, chaim, PLEASE listen to Glenn's version of the song. He really makes you feel for the people involved. It is my second favourite track on this album after Here's To Life.