Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: The Third Brother

Out on the Border

Default Re: The Third Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    First of all – thanks for sharing your stories, peepers. It is very interesting and what a privilege for you all to have gotten a preview of Take It To the Limit way back in 1975. You all may have figured that the song would be a hit, but I bet you didn’t have a clue that you were privy to a song that would become rock and roll legend.

As I read your story, I kind of felt very sorry for Matt. It must be both a blessing and a curse to be the sibling of a very famous person. I would love to hear what others thoughts are about this, but it seems to me that maintaining your own identity must be very difficult, especially for a younger sibling. Going through life always as ‘<insert famous person’s name> brother’ would have to be tough and conflicting. The comparisons are inevitable and it’s no wonder that the sibling might develop an inferiority complex. However, at the same time, they must feel very proud and protective of the famous sibling’s accomplishments. I’m not sure that it’s a very enviable position.
    Thanks very much for your comments. Yeah. As kids, we saw it all unfold and had no idea the impact it would have on the music industry or anything. We were just excited to be there. Good insight on Matt, too. He was a darn good kid and meant well, but he definitely was in an unenviable situation. He wasn't very easy on his friends and we had our spats, but we knew he was going through some tough times emotionally. It was my brother Scott who took most of Matt's abuse, I think. That's what happens when you're that close to each other, I guess.

I posted pics from about 40 years ago. I hope you're able to see them. I'm not real familiar with these blog sites and posting things. Thanks again for your excellent comments and insight!

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by zeldabjr View Post
    Hi Peeper and welcome!! I got the goosebumps hearing your story about hearing Take It To The Limit!!!
    Thanks very much for reading my story. It feels good to express it. It's strange, but a lot people who are acquainted with me, are often under the impression that I know Glenn Frey. I do not know Glenn Frey...at all. I grew up with his family. I only saw Glenn a half dozen times or so at the Frey's house. We were also carted to his concerts by his mom and dad. It was an exciting time for us but I never got to know Glenn, at all. The closest I got was when we all sat on the couch in the back den and watched a Red Wings game with him as he smoked cigarettes while stretched across the floor in front of us.

The nicest member of the Eagles, to me, was Randy Meisner. Glenn had given us a super 8 movie camera with a sound stripe! It had a bulb on the front to illuminate the subject matter being filmed. The bulb got so hot that you could hold a piece of paper in front of it and it would light on fire. We had to be careful not to get too close to it. Scott, Matt and I were in the basement filming "Ghoul" movies while the band was visiting. This was probably early 1976. Randy was at the top of the stairs and asked what we were doing. We told him and he came down and checked out our set, our props, and got a real kick out of the whole scene. He was a soft spoken individual that always had nice things to say. He was encouraging to me, Scott and Matt and took sincere interest in our efforts. Thank you Randy (if you ever read these blogs) for taking interest in us kids. I can't speak for Matt, but it meant a lot to me and Scotty!

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Got another question for you peeper. This picture was posted here on the board a while ago. Just wondering if you can identify any of these folks. Are these Glenn's brothers Alan and Matt in the front row?

Hi, again. I shared this photo with my brother Scott. He say that Matt is on the right in front. He didn't think it was Ed and Nel in the pic. Was doubting if that was Al wearing the "On the Border" tee shirt, but said it "could" be Al. No idea who the girls are. Scott and I agree, that's not Nel and Ed. I remember Ed as being a thinner man and Nel wore glasses I thought. We both noticed the wide Glenn-like nose on the older fellow and thought the same thing...it might be Glenn's real dad. I honestly don't know though.
    Last edited by peepers59; 08-26-2014 at 04:32 PM.

Peepers-

Thanks for sharing your pictures and stories! Love the one about Randy, and how nice he was. And wow, you really brought me back to my childhood in Michigan, talking about the Ghoul. We used to watch him on Channel 50. He was nuts.

Thanks for sharing! What great memories for you.

Love reading these! I can't imagine what it would have been like to hear "Take It to the Limit" before everyone else. I can see your photos... you're doing it right! Thanks for the stories!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

Thank you for sharing your stories & photos Peepers! What special memories!

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Baby View Post
    Thank you for sharing your stories & photos Peepers! What special memories!
    Always happy to share a good story. My brother Scott reminded me of the time when Glenn came home after touring back in 1974, I think. He had hired his brother Al to be a roadie for the band. Al had arrived home earlier in the week. I think it was a late afternoon on a Friday when Glenn arrived home. Scott and I were made aware of his pending arrival and went to Ed & Nel's to greet him. He wasn't very happy looking when he got out of the car. He hugged his mom and dad, then went right into the house. A few minutes later, Nel was asking us to go home...she had to call the police as Glenn and Al were fist fighting upstairs. It turned out that Al had developed a cocaine habit while being a roadie for Glenn, according to Matt. Al also had a bug up his butt about something Glenn had said or done to him while on the road. So Al took a number of Glenn's guitars and equipment and pawned them at a pawn shop or two in Royal Oak. And Glenn was pissed! I don't remember if Glen got his equipment back (I think he did) but it was a tough day for Nel. The cops were called and showed up to warn them not to do it again. We waited around the corner to watch and wait. We didn't go back over there that night. Matt told us that his mom was pretty upset and they all needed to settle down and have dinner. Sure freaked us out as kids. I guess this wasn't a great story, but an interesting one none the less.

..hahaha..well let's hope they made up...

Stuck on the Border

Interesting story. It shows that having a "rock star" in the family has its downsides. As I have sons around that age, I was identifying with the mother who let her 18 year-old son go off on tour with his older brother and had him come home with a drug habit and both sons fighting.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Glennhoney View Post
    ..hahaha..well let's hope they made up...
    lol, GH. Apparently they did since Glenn gives a little tip of the hat to Alan in the liner notes of his Soul Searchin' album.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016