Page 75 of 86 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985 ... LastLast

Thread: Kennedy Centre Honorees

Default Re: Kennedy Centre Honorees

Underwhelmed. Except for Bob Seger's performance.

Granted, I've never watched this show from beginning to end; I've only seen bits and parts. There was a muted quality about the whole thing that's hard to put into words. Sheryl Crow sounded shrill singing "Fire and Rain". The tribute to Al Pacino was kinda nice; I liked the references to his famous movie lines.

The Kings of Leon and Juanes(?) looked nervous and their performances were a little subdued. Still, it was great to see young people performing Eagles songs. However, it made the house band (or what I'm assuming is the house band) seem out of place. I like Vince Gill, but I've seen and heard better performances from him. Maybe I need to watch again but it felt like he was going through the motions, kind of. It could have been that "rushed" quality someone else referred to earlier in the thread.

Bob was awesome. He put a lot of heart and soul into his performance. It was nice to see Mrs. Frey and her daughter enjoying themselves and dancing. Don didn't look happy at times. Joe and Timothy smiled quite a bit.

By the end the Obamas looked bored. But another poster pointed out how Gayle King was singing along so maybe they were annoyed with that instead. The narration about the band's history was all about Glenn and Don, of course. There was a line or two about Joe and Timothy, which focused on Joe's class clown persona and Timothy's high vocals, because apparently that's all they offer musically

Unfortunately, I missed the last performance. I believe I'll reserve my thoughts on the Three Who Shall Not Be Named, and apparently, Whose Images Shall Not Be Shown If It Can Possibly Be Avoided, and post them on the other thread.

Telling that 4/5 of the songs performed came from the debut album and Hotel California.

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    They were shown in the video like I said they would, but yes. They weren't mention, but I did say they would be shown in the video montage.

They basically focused on Don and Glenn starting the band. I was starting to worry they wouldn't say anything on Timothy and Joe, but they did at the end and shown pictures from the current Eagles at the beginning before they went into the history of the band.

I forgot to mention that I loved the ending of the montage of Don, Joe, Timothy and Glenn saying their different quotes from HOTE. Then hearing Glenn ending it, I see why Taylor would cry.
    You were right. I am pretty sure most of the people in that room knew who the other guys were. Google is your friend so people who are knew to the band will know who they are. I dont think we were shown the whole video because they cut it for time constrants. Hopefully we get full performances like But it is nice that they included full photos with Bernie, Felder and Randy and the way they held the photos for a while was telling.

I dont think them being cut out was done with bad intentions just because they were focusing on Don, Glenn, Joe and Timmothy.

Bonham wasnt honored with Zepplin and Keith Moon and John Enstiwile werent honoered with The Who

Quote Originally Posted by travlnman2 View Post
    You were right. I am pretty sure most of the people in that room knew who the other guys were. Google is your friend so people who are knew to the band will know who they are. I dont think we were shown the whole video because they cut it for time constrants. Hopefully we get full performances like But it is nice that they included full photos with Bernie, Felder and Randy and the way they held the photos for a while was telling

I dont think them being cut out was done with bad intentions just because they were focusing on Don, Glenn, Joe and Timmothy.

Bonham wasnt honored with Zepplin and Keith Moon and John Enstiwile werent honoered with The Who
    Thank you for being positive about that. I know you were one of the person who wished the other three were there. I said last year into this year when they announced for an honoree that the other three will either get mention and/or shown in the video montage. I would had agree that it would had been completely wrong if they were omitted completely from the montage, but they weren't. But I guess being seen in pictures and videos wasn't enough.

You are right. You can go on any other website or google the Eagles and they will mention the other three guys who are not in the band even if their were 4 current Eagles. And you're right. The people in the audience probably knew who Bernie, Felder and Randy were not just Don, Glenn, Joe and Timothy.

I think that was all for the video. The video didn't seem like it was cut other than editing different videos and pictures in there. I don't think we will see the full performances if their were full. I don't think they ever post the whole gala later.

I for one am happy this is over. I have gotten soo tired of the negativity that's been going on with this announcement since last year. Now I'm focusing in seeing the other surviving member that even includes Felder.

ETA: I saw you added some more to your post. The situation with the Who and Led Zeppelin was KCH only honored living honorees. If both John's and Keith were still alive today, they would had been included. Of course they were mention in their video montage.

It was exception with Glenn since he knew about the award before he died in January and that's why he was included. I'm glad Cindy and the kids were part of the festivities that weekend. They didn't have to do that. Cindy got what would had been his ribbon and like KCH promised, they had Cindy sitting with the guys on the front row and she probably was sitting where Glenn would had been sitting if he was alive.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 12-28-2016 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    Thank you for being positive about that. I know you were one of the person who wished the other three were there. I said earlier that the other three will either get mention and/or shown in the video montage. I would had agree that it would had been completely wrong if they were omitted completely from the montage, but they weren't. But I guess being seen in pictures and videos wasn't enough.

You are right. You can go on any other website or google the Eagles and they will mention the other three guys who are not in the band even if their were 4 current Eagles. And you're right. The people in the audience probably knew who Bernie, Felder and Randy were not just Don, Glenn, Joe and Timothy.

I think that was all for the video. The video didn't seem like it was cut other than editing different videos and pictures in there. I don't think we will see the full performances if their were full. I don't think they ever post the whole gala later.

I for one am happy this is over. I have gotten soo tired of the negativity that's been going on with this announcement since last year. Now I'm focusing in seeing the other surviving member that even includes Felder.

ETA: I saw you added some more to your post. The situation with the Who and Led Zeppelin was KCH only honored living honorees. If both John's and Keith were still alive today, they would had been included. Of course they were mention in their video montage.

It was exception with Glenn since he knew about the award before he died in January and that's why he was included.
    I thought it was that Townsend and Daltry were the only current members of the Band.

Quote Originally Posted by travlnman2 View Post
    I thought it was that Townsend and Daltry were the only current members of the Band.
    Yes they were the last surviving members of the Who just like Led Zeppelin. John Entwistle (and even Keith) would had been sitting up there with them too if he didn't die 6 years before the Who was made honorees in 2008.

Since their has been a handful of duos and groups to ever get a KCH, I think this was the first time KCH ever honored somebody who had died before the award ceremony happened.

Now I don't know if the guys would had accepted this award if this happened years after Glenn died. I doubt they would had accepted it without Glenn even though this was different since they were suppose to get it last year and Glenn died a month after the ceremony.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 12-28-2016 at 02:25 PM.

Border Desperado

Hi all. I have not seen the full show (in Mexico) , and regardless I am hispanic, I am sure Juanes (Colombian Pop singer) to do HC was a very bad, bad, unfortunate choice... Shame on the organiz., wasted opp, just like the Grammys when the very small Tribute to Glenn.. IMHO. My best to all of you friends.
    Be part of something good,
    Leave something good behind.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

I enjoyed the performances a lot more than I thought I would! But yes, it did seem that many of the peeps were nervous, understandably. Has Vince Gill recorded PEF? I shall look into that. I really liked his reading of it and his voice is wonderfully well suited to the song. Loved seeing Mr. & Mrs. James Taylor singing along too.

OT: James has aged into my Irish grandpa, the spitting image!

P.S. I didn't mind Gayle King being in the President's party, but what about that guy from the Daily Show?! He's not even American. Oh well. The President can invite whomever he'd like.

P.S.S. Joe's wife Marjory seems like a great gal, loads of fun.

Border Desperado

By the way if you know about some Site to see the full show on line will be great! Thanks. JP tlr

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

thelongrun, esta aqui: http://www.cbs.com/shows/kennedy_cen...center-honors/

Gracias a Shun

Juanes didn't do badly at all but seems uncomfortable with English.

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    thelongrun, esta aqui: http://www.cbs.com/shows/kennedy_cen...center-honors/

Gracias a Shun
    Thnaks so much Night.... CBS was asking for a register and payment Yesterday... I will look that. Thanks. JP