Page 76 of 86 FirstFirst ... 2666727374757677787980 ... LastLast

Thread: Kennedy Centre Honorees

Default Re: Kennedy Centre Honorees

Quote Originally Posted by thelongrun View Post
    Hi all. I have not seen the full show (in Mexico) , and regardless I am hispanic, I am sure Juanes (Colombian Pop singer) to do HC was a very bad, bad, unfortunate choice... Shame on the organiz., wasted opp, just like the Grammys when the very small Tribute to Glenn.. IMHO. My best to all of you friends.

Actually he was very very good and even played a Les Paul

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    I enjoyed the performances a lot more than I thought I would! But yes, it did seem that many of the peeps were nervous, understandably. Has Vince Gill recorded PEF? I shall look into that. I really liked his reading of it and his voice is wonderfully well suited to the song. Loved seeing Mr. & Mrs. James Taylor singing along too.

OT: James has aged into my Irish grandpa, the spitting image!

P.S. I didn't mind Gayle King being in the President's party, but what about that guy from the Daily Show?! He's not even American. Oh well. The President can invite whomever he'd like.

P.S.S. Joe's wife Marjory seems like a great gal, loads of fun.
    No Vince never recorded PEF, but he did sing PEF a few days after Glenn's death on the Grand Ole Opry. So this wasn't the first time I've heard him do PEF.

I was reading Vince was getting some flake for his performance. What some people don't know about Vince is he's an emotional man. I've been following Vince's career since 1994. When he's paying tribute to one of his friends that just died, he gets emotional and you can hear it in his voice that he was getting emotional as he was singing one of Glenn's songs. I've seen him get emotional when he sings for one of his friends he's lost. Vince has done KCH many times. So I don't think it was nerves for him.

I think I would love to hang out with Marjorie and Cindy.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 12-28-2016 at 04:58 PM.

NightMistBlue. Here's Vince singing PEF at the Grand Ole Opry 4 days after Glenn's death.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnlEu2kpAoA[/ame]

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    I was reading Vince was getting some flake for his performance. What some people don't know about Vince is he's an emotional man. I've been following Vince's music since 1994. When he's paying tribute to one of his friends that he had lost, he gets emotional and you can hear it in his voice that he was getting emotional as he sings one of Glenn's songs. I've seen him get emotional when he sings for one of his friends he's lost. Vince has done KCH many times. So I don't think it was nerves for him.
    OK, that makes sense. I see he was having some of the same issues (lack of volume, hampered ability to sustain notes) at the Opry performance as at the KC so it probably was his emotions rather than nerves.

Kings of Leon did a real good job too.

Another event where Vince got emotional. When Vince sang Go Rest High On That Mountain at George Jones memorial service a few years ago, he couldn't get through the song. He got very emotional and Patty Loveless had to help sing some of the song until he was able to sing. Plus that song is very special to him since he wrote it about losing his brother and Keith Whitley.

Also. I notice with PEF. Vince was kinda singing PEF in his low voice range. He's usually sings high on majority of his songs. He was singing high on LITFL at the end.

Vince Gill getting emotional made me appreciate his performance more. I can go to YouTube and see bands doing note-perfect cover songs whenever I want. A performance with heart from someone who visibly cares - that's what I want to see.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Vince Gill getting emotional made me appreciate his performance more. I can go to YouTube and see bands doing note-perfect cover songs whenever I want. A performance with heart from someone who visibly cares - that's what I want to see.
    I so agree, Vince made it real and you could tell he cared so much. Vince seems to be one of the honestly good guys in the business.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I just watched the Eagles part again. I think they all did an outstanding job on their songs. Can you imagine how hard it would be to sing someone's signature songs in front of them and in front of all those celebrities that were there? I can't. And I agree about Vince's song. You could tell he was touched doing it and truly loved the band. And Bob too. I had tears through the whole thing this time.

And this makes it even harder to realize that they are done as a band.

ETA: Linda's comments were wonderful. She called them her brothers. I wish she could have just been on video if she wasn't able to be there in person.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I also think Bob gave it his all on Heartache Tonight. He put it out there on that stage and I think he said he was going to do that and I think Glenn would be soo proud of his mentor.

I love that Linda narrator the video montage. She was the best person to do since it was her who got the ball rolling in the beginning. I loved when she called them brothers too. I really wish we saw the guys reaction when they heard Linda was during the narration. I know that montage really touched Taylor. The death of her father was still fresh on her mind and then hearing her father at the end probably got her crying.

Glenn had an amazing strong lady. I don't know how Cindy got through that whole weekend.

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by travlnman2 View Post
    Actually he was very very good and even played a Les Paul
    No surprise he had a good one, the guy is good... The thing is I dont think he was the ideal Artist, the guy is good but unknown in the English music industry, and for that iconic signature Song of them... No nusic ADN there... Maybe some Richard Marx, Deacon Frey, just a thought, Ok.
    Be part of something good,
    Leave something good behind.