Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles to perform Hotel California in its entirety

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Eagles to perform Hotel California in its entirety

Yep - I agree that those Vegas prices are obscene. I've said this before, and I'll say it again ... I don't believe their touring over the past two years has been quite as lucrative as they had hoped. So, yeah, let's save face, and do these Vegas shows. After all, it is more money and less effort for them, even though the average fan is priced out of these shows. But, oh, I forgot, the band isn't doing this for the money ... they are doing it because the fans still want to hear these songs.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Yes, if the fee is right, they keep the songs alive. 👌

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Yep - I agree that those Vegas prices are obscene. I've said this before, and I'll say it again ... I don't believe their touring over the past two years has been quite as lucrative as they had hoped. So, yeah, let's save face, and do these Vegas shows. After all, it is more money and less effort for them, even though the average fan is priced out of these shows. But, oh, I forgot, the band isn't doing this for the money ... they are doing it because the fans still want to hear these songs.
    Exactly. It's all about the $ and anyone who says that its for healing or for keeping the music alive or any of that nonsense is choosing to deny the reality of it all, IMO. It's so obvious by now.

I also agree that I don't think they've been all that successful without Glenn.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Yes, if the fee is right, they keep the songs alive. 👌
    Bingo!

Quote Originally Posted by FreyFollower View Post
    Well, tickets to their last show in Bossier City, a very reasonable distance from Linden, started at $45! (As reported from The Shreveport Times.). Not exactly Vegas, but fairly affordable.

Granted, ticket prices for big name acts of late have gone crazy.
    Good point, FF.

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Dreamer, what are you basing this on? From everything I’ve read, the tour has been quite successful. I don’t know how the European dates are selling but they sold out concerts in Australia and New Zealand last month. They actually grossed $6.6 million+ in one night at Dunedin, NZ. The planning for the Vegas shows must have started some time ago.

According to Pollstar, the band was ranked the #6 top-grossing act for 2018, ahead of U2 and The Rolling Stones:

Rounding out the Top 10 are Bruno Mars, Eagles, Justin Timberlake, Roger Waters, U2 and The Rolling Stones. The Eagles’ sixth-ranked tour took in $165.9 million at the box office from 964,245 sold tickets at 53 performances – followed by Timberlake at No. 7 who, after a postponement of shows until 2019 because of health reasons, ended the year with 77 shows reported and $150.8 million in earnings from 1.1 million tickets.

https://www.pollstar.com/article/yea...on-2018-136923

They are also nominated for a Best Rock Tour Award by Pollstar.

https://awards.pollstar.live/2019-nominees/

I believe it’s possible for a band to perform for the money, the adulation from the audience and​ because they just love playing music.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

I agree with Delilah completely. Their high prices are hardly unique. They are definitely high. They might be excessive depending on your view but that’s a personal opinion thing. For me personally, they are one of the most popular bands of all time and I think their prices reflect that. Also, To me these guys picked music because they loved it not because of money. Don’t get me wrong, at this point in their lives money plays a huge role but I think they still like what they do. If they folded the Eagles after Glenn’s passing, I believe they would still be touring and playing many of these songs (in their respective solo careers). I don’t deny the impact of money on their decisions but I think there’s a number of factors that cause them to tour. Not just the money.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    If they folded the Eagles after Glenn’s passing, I believe they would still be touring and playing many of these songs (in their respective solo careers).
    Which is exactly what they should have done, YEF! No Eagles without Glenn. They have the right to be Don Henley, Joe Walsh, and Timothy B. Schmit. Not Eagles!

To be charging this much to see a heavily diluted Eagles is just shameful, IMO.

Maybe they do love to play still and love the adulation, but they have other avenues for that (solo, or even together under a different name without doing Glenn's material).

There is no doubt that money is what drove them to continue after Glenn's passing, not for the love of it or healing or any of that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Maybe they do love to play still and love the adulation, but they have other avenues for that (solo, or even together under a different name without doing Glenn's material).

There is no doubt that money is what drove them to continue after Glenn's passing, not for the love of it or healing or any of that stuff.
    I agree with everything you said. They do straddle a weird position with them saying publicly that the band isn’t the same without Glenn and that it’s not really the Eagles but at the same time touring as the Eagles.

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Which is exactly what they should have done, YEF! No Eagles without Glenn. They have the right to be Don Henley, Joe Walsh, and Timothy B. Schmit. Not Eagles!

To be charging this much to see a heavily diluted Eagles is just shameful, IMO.
    I wouldn’t be opposed to that though I just personally believe that it’s legitimate band lineup. I wonder how much simplicity of them touring together played a role. Kinda hard to advertise that lineup. Unless they formed a new band...