PDA

View Full Version : Eagles books

Pages : 1 [2]

NightMistBlue
02-25-2015, 05:55 PM
I had to smile at Rand's extremely concise songwriting goals though, all four of which centered on cultivating contacts and relationships. It's ALL about who you know, he argues.

The Glenn anecdotes were snarky and a tad bitter. That's fine but I don't know if it would be worthwhile to wade through a whole book of that tone.

UndertheWire
02-26-2015, 06:39 AM
I've never heard of him, and therefore I was unaware of any rivalry with Glenn, so what he had to say didn't mean anything to me.
That's what I liked. It's the other side of "I don't know why fortune smiles on some and let's the rest go free." There's this guy hanging out at the Troubadour, young, ambitious, talented and yet he doesn't make it big. The rivalry fits with other descriptions of the Troubadour scene and brings it to life and at that stage of their lives, they had no idea who would make it. I don't care that his stories aren't that flattering - he's putting down a rival and his tone is that of a cocky, young man.

The advice about networking certainly seems to hold true for many of those 70s California-based songwriters. Jack Tempchin's meeting with Glenn & JD, led to the Eagles recording "Peaceful Easy Feeling" and with that Jack's songwriting career began. I believe his advice in one interview was for a songwriter to make friends with some musicians who were just about to break out.

NightMistBlue
02-26-2015, 11:42 AM
It's certainly wise advice. It made me smile because it's so unusually honest and straightforward. The many books and articles I've read on songwriting focus on the craft and the business aspect, almost never the social aspect. Maybe the importance of networking is so obvious to most people that it doesn't bear mentioning, but I confess I'm not one of those people :) I needed to have it spelled out and then I was able to see it.

I still hope Glenn writes that book on songwriting that he said he wanted to do some years ago - that would be gold.

sodascouts
02-26-2015, 08:54 PM
Has anyone read any of Rand Bishop's books on songwriting? It seems he hung out at the Troubadour and his books include anecdotes about that time, including tales of one-upmanship from his rivalry with Glenn.

Google books allows you to read a sample (https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=SiZtBgAAQBAJ&pg=PT126&lpg=PT126&dq=%22jimmy+bowen%22+%22Glenn+Frey%22&source=bl&ots=8d4BPn9a2F&sig=xyMHd56a9eRqT3ASwECmrKRCN7M&hl=en&sa=X&ei=BKDtVM2bHI3maonSgtgM&ved=0CEYQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=%22jimmy%20bowen%22%20%22Glenn%20Frey%22&f=false) from one of the books with Eagles/Frey anecdotes on pages 112-114.

Thanks for that link! I love to read these little stories.

tjh532
02-27-2015, 01:20 AM
I just ordered the book Canyon of Dreams from Barnes and Noble. Amazon surprisingly was sold out. It depicts the famous people that lived in Laurel Canyon during the 70's. Henry Diltz has photography in it. The Eagles are suppose to be featured in it. It is in paperback and hardcover. I got the paperback not very expensive. Hope it's good. I'll report back.

DJ, I looked at that one on Barnes and Noble and thought it looked pretty good. Let me know what you think of it :)

zeldabjr
03-03-2015, 07:31 PM
I just saw this book...wondering if anyone has read it?...

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh572/zeldabjr/11043067_10206628414614142_2286655487589254447_n_z pswtyvlxcr.jpg

VAisForEagleLovers
03-03-2015, 07:54 PM
First I've heard of it. Looks like Amazon released it on Feb. 1. The paperback is $20.65! I'm betting it has $0.50 of information I don't already know, and $8.65 of information that's not right, and $7.20 of opinions I don't agree with.

Houston Baby
03-04-2015, 02:48 PM
I just saw this book...wondering if anyone has read it?...

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh572/zeldabjr/11043067_10206628414614142_2286655487589254447_n_z pswtyvlxcr.jpg

I ordered this book last June from Amazon and they just sent me an update Monday that said it is being sent out and I should have it by Saturday. It is probably like VA said but I will let y'all know. Amazon did give me a discount since it has taken so long. :thumbsup:

UndertheWire
03-04-2015, 03:39 PM
There's a preview of the book here (http://halleonardbooks.com/viewcloserlook.do?id=00119882&lid=-1&) which has the contents list and introduction. It goes right up to and including the HotE tour.

NightMistBlue
03-04-2015, 05:14 PM
That looks pretty cool! The title of chapter 40 made me laugh aloud, "Don Henley Must Die: Eagles Love, Eagles Hate."

VAisForEagleLovers
03-04-2015, 05:27 PM
I read the first six pages of the intro and am not impressed. I might get the book when the price goes down.

GlennLover
03-04-2015, 10:22 PM
I read the first six pages of the intro and am not impressed. I might get the book when the price goes down.

I read it as well. Lots of mistakes & inaccuracies. Definitely not worth the price they are charging. You wouldn't know if what you are reading is fact. I agree with you, VA. I might buy it at a cheaper price, just out of curiosity. :)

Houston Baby
03-05-2015, 12:51 AM
I just went to the mailbox and got my mail. The Eagles FAQ was there. It's too late to start reading but I looked at the acknowledgments and it appears that his information was gathered from the internet, other books, magazine articles, conversations with other artists, etc. A couple of sentences stood out in the acknowledgments......

"Thanks to Nancy and Lisa, who run two exemplary Eagles sites, EaglesFans.com and EaglesOnlineCentral.com. The information and passion they channel is simply awesome".

I wish he would have had the fan site names in the correct order.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-05-2015, 01:34 AM
It's good that he gives the credit!

WalshFan88
03-06-2015, 08:33 PM
I had my mom pick me up "Sound Man" the Glyn Johns book today.

I'll read it when my eyes feel like it. Even though the Johns period is my lesser favorite to the Szymczyk period, I felt like I had to read it, not to mention his work with other huge names in rock n' roll.

NightMistBlue
03-10-2015, 09:51 AM
Has anyone here read Linda Ronstadt's autobiography? I'm intrigued to see there's a chapter on the Eagles. Apparently, some "chapters" in the book are only a few pages, so I won't get too excited.

There's also some Eagles content in the book I'm reading now "Girls Like Us," Sheila Weller's bio of Carole King, Joni Mitchell and Carly Simon. Joni was involved with J.D. Souther (who wasn't?, you may well ask - it's amazing that guy is still standing) and was/is a friend of Don Henley. Mr. Henley doesn't come off particularly well, as one of Joni's boyfriends describes Don as a megalomaniac who only talked about himself.

I thought Joni may have been involved with one or more of the Eagles, as an old Flo & Eddie song claims, but apparently that is not true.

UndertheWire
03-10-2015, 10:15 AM
There are a couple of threads that may interest you.

Linda Ronstadt's book gets discussed from about page 5 onwards in the
Linda Ronstadt thread (https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?p=241050&highlight=book#post241050). From memory, the Eagles chapter is just a couple of pages.

And then there's Joni Mitchell and Glenn (https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134&highlight=joni).

Is "Girls Like Us" worth a read?

NightMistBlue
03-10-2015, 11:40 AM
I'm enjoying "Girls Like Us" (tho the title still rankles me - why refer to these mature, major artists as "girls," esp. as they came to prominence in the feminist 70s - but I digress) but will only warn that it's very detailed. Weller did serious, original research on these women, which is kind of refreshing these days when a lot of popular biographies seem to be rehashes of previously published material.

Carole King is a rather fascinating enigma. Her life took some odd turns when she fell head over heels for a songwriter/guru who IIRC occasionally made clothes for the Eagles. Don Felder mentions this guy, Rick, favorably in his memoir too.

UndertheWire
04-10-2015, 12:07 AM
How did "The Eagles FAQ" turn out? I looked through a copy in a bookstore and it didn't seem too bad but I decided I didn't want to pay full price for it. I bought a second-hand copy of Marc Shapiro's book instead (great bookshop with both new and used books on the same shelf).

The best part of the Shapiro book is the quotes from Randy Meisner, although he may have regreted them later. In a later interview he said he wished he hadn't said some things that appeared in a book - I'd assumed it was Marc Eliot's book but he's harsher in this one.

The worst part of the Shapiro book is there are lots of really obvious errors - he gets names mixed up and at one point he says that Don Felder was born in Topanga Canyon. Most of the book is cobbled together from written and filmed interviews which makes it tempting to play "spot the source".

DJ
04-11-2015, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the Look See of the Eagles FAQ book. Might buy it...but I've read pretty much everything on the band. Nothing really new to read. People are People and sometimes you have to say it's run it's course, move on.......They are all very talented, intelligent people and every human has his/her personality and often times they don't agree. For what's it's worth.

Ive always been a dreamer
04-12-2015, 12:11 PM
Yep - thanks for reviving this thread, UTW and reminding me about this book. I had forgotten to order it, so as soon as I read your post, I hopped over to Amazon and snagged one for under $15. I'm not expecting to learn anything new, but since I'm somewhat of a completest when it comes to the band, I need to have it. :roll: It's been a while since I read any of the books. I keep saying I'm going to go back and reread all of them to refresh my memory, but I can't seem to ever get around to it.

GlennLover
04-12-2015, 11:09 PM
I keep planning to reread them too as it has been awhile and my memory isn't that great I must really make the effort to actually do that! :)

VAisForEagleLovers
04-13-2015, 08:15 AM
I've read a couple of them, and they aren't accurate, so that ruins it for me. I go through the entire book doubting everything I've read. I felt the same way about Felder's book. Knowing going into it that he relied on Eliot's book, which is chock full of errors, to fill in the holes in his memory meant it lacked credibility to me. Still, at least Eliot got the names right as far as I can tell. A book that has such basic facts wrong means it was put out by someone who doesn't know the band, and is doing it purely to make money off its fans. I refuse to fund their ignorance.

NightMistBlue
04-17-2015, 09:49 AM
"Hotel California" by Barney Hoskins
This is the one that opens with five naked young men in a sauna.
I really enjoyed this. It has a broader sweep covering The Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, CSN&Y, Joni Mitchell, David Geffen which all gives context and perhaps a better perspective. Hoskyns interviewed lots of people, including JD, Jackson and Bernie. Lots of good anecdotes.

I recently finished this book and enjoyed it very much. It does give a wonderful perspective and I came away with 2 pages of densely-written notes of songs and albums to check out. Hoskyns has done books on two of my other main musical obsessions - the Doors and Led Zeppelin - so those are going on the ol' Amazon wish list. If he writes about the Beach Boys next, he's gonna be my hero :)

04-19-2015, 10:54 AM
Well - I received my Eagles Q&A book, but have only had time to browse through it. I did read the short introduction and, predictably, I thinking I'm not going to get a lot of new information. Plus, I have already found a couple of inaccuracies. As others mentioned, even if I do happen upon something I didn't already know, I'm not sure I'll be able to trust that it's true. Oh well, silly me will probably go ahead and read it anyway eventually just because.

And it is cool that Vaughan credits the online fan sites, but he didn't even manage to get that information exactly correct either. :roll:

Funk 50
04-19-2015, 02:10 PM
I've just watched a BBC tv documentary, presented by Mark Radcliffe titled Biggest Band Break Ups And Make Ups.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05q472d/biggest-band-break-ups-and-make-ups

Mark Radcliffe looks at the highs and lows of band life - the creative tension that produces great music and the pressures that come with success and fame, which pulls many apart.

The aforementioned Barney Hoskins is one of the music jounalists interviewed.
This documentary attributes the "The Eagles will reunite when hell freezes over" to Glenn Frey.

Although there doesn't appear to be much evidence of where and when it was said, it's usually been attributed to Henley.

If the BBC say it's Frey, I'd normally call that conclusive evidence but I'm pretty sure that the HOTE documentary go with Henley, although there doesn't appear to be any concrete evidence that anybody said it. Certainly not before the Hell Freezes Over album was announced.

UndertheWire
04-20-2015, 05:11 AM
If the BBC's source is Barney Hoskyns, then they're not reliable. I liked his book, but I remember it as having some inaccuracies.

Thanks for the link to the new doc (probably only available in the UK). It was a good watch and although the Eagles references were simplistic and possibly inaccurate*, the stories of the breakup of other bands reminded me of the Eagles, particularly The Police and The Smiths. The New Order bassist and his lawsuit helped me see Don Felder's side a little.

*I may have misheard it, but I remember Barney Hoskyns saying the Eagles broke up over money. I can accept the argument that they reformed for money (at least in part) but the breakup seems to be down to other staples of band breakups - drugs, stress, broken friendships, personal ambition etc.

[You can see part of the Smiths section here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2EIjfxkm64)]

NightMistBlue
04-21-2015, 10:26 AM
[You can see part of the Smiths section here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2EIjfxkm64)]

Thank you! Poor Johnny Marr. I loved Morrissey (saw him like 7 times in concert, plus once with the Smiths) but he's got to be the biggest PITA in the world. I went off him after his grotesquely insensitive comment about the Norway massacre.

UTW, what parallels do you see between the Eagles and the Police break ups? Sting went solo because he could make more money and was tired of the other guys challenging him. I don't know about Glenn, but Don H. sure didn't seem confident that he could be a front man. Sting never seemed to lack confidence in that (or any!) regard.

UndertheWire
04-21-2015, 11:01 AM
The Police comments that resonated for me were:
- going from all three travelling in a van to separate limos and leading separate lives except when they were shut up in a studio together with the pressure of knowing everyone outside the door was waiting for whatever they came up with.
- they fell apart when one member left to make a solo record (that would be Glenn with the Eagles). Also, Glenn was tired of dealing with Felder and Walsh and probably Henley, too.
- a regret (from Andy Summers) that they didn't agree to take a two year break for solo work and then get back together.
- complaints about not getting songs onto the albums (Andy Summers said he couldn't get Sting to sing his songs).
- Andy Summers talking about the reunion tour as "exhilarating" (just a reminder that playing in front of a huge, appreciate audience has rewards beyond money even if you don't like the other band members).
I will say that compared to Sting (or Mick Jagger), Glenn and Don seem quite democratic and benevolent!

As for The Smiths:
- the comment (from a journalist) about nobody talking about the problems so they don't get addressed.
- Johnny Marr quitting because he'd had enough of dealing with the crap and because he wasn't enjoying it (again, part of the reason Glenn left).
- two band members feeling they had been treated unfairly wrt royalties (one won in court and the other settled).

With New Order, the issue is whether the band split or the bassist left. If they split, the bassist owns 25% of the name and goodwill but if he let, he owns only 1%.

NightMistBlue
06-01-2015, 10:36 AM
I got cracking on the Laura Jackson book "Flying High" a few days ago, and am a little dismayed by the copious errors - of chronology, quotes taken way out of context, etc.

However, she did shed a little light on Bernie's various musical adventures after he left the Eagles. She said he was in a Christian bluegrass band, for one thing. Is Bernie a Christian by any chance, does anyone here know?

06-03-2015, 10:21 PM
All I can tell you is I checked the copy of Bernie's father's obituary and he had a Catholic burial. So, Bernie would be a Christian if you presume he was raised Catholic and never converted to a non-Christian religion.

NightMistBlue
06-04-2015, 11:58 AM
Thank you, Dreamer. It looks like the album "Ever Call Ready" consisted mainly of traditional bluegrass and gospel songs. It's not unusual for rootsy bands to have some of those songs in their repertoire, regardless of their religious affiliation or lack thereof.
http://www.allmusic.com/album/ever-call-ready-mw0000474316

UndertheWire
07-04-2015, 07:10 PM
From the Book Club thread

Irving Azoff and the Eagles get a lot of mentions in "The Mansion on the Hill: Dylan, Young, Geffen, Springsteen and the Head-on Collision of Rock and Commerce," by Fred Goodman. Has anyone here read that? If the library has it, I may check it out - if only to pick out the references to our guys. I'm sure the author rakes them over the coals for their alleged greed.

I've found my copy of the book and this is the closest the author gets:

Among his clients Geffen's closest personal relationships were with Mitchell - with whom he shared a house - and Jackson Browne, His professional match, however, would prove to be the Eagles. Like all great managers, Geffen was as creative in his own sphere as any of his artists were in theirs. The Eagles, conversely, took their business as seriously as they took their music, and they were the only clients whose greed and ambition matched his own.
Some more extraccts:

"Glenn and I were on the same team," says Henley. "It was he and I against everybody else. We felt like it was our group. Glenn and I both had pretty stong work ethics; we're both pretty anal about rehearsal. We rehearsed a lot."

The following spring, Asylum spent $125,000 of Atlantic's money to record the groups debut album. The Eagles, at Olympic Studions in London. But Geffen faced an uphill battle with Atlantic which was not enthisiastic about the band.

"At that point, David knew very little about the record business," says Paul Ahern, Asylums first director of promotion. "However, there's one thing you can never argue about: David beat the shit out of Atlantic with the Eagles. David would come out of a meeting with all the staff and say the Eagles were going to be bigger than Crosby, Stills and Nash. He was in there fighting for them. And the Atlantic people would say to me 'What is he, kidding? The Eagles are going to be bigger than Crosby, Stills and Nash?' There was resistance, and he did go the distance."

"It's my assumption that David Geffen called in a lot of favors in seventy-two for 'Doctor My Eyes' and 'Take It Easy,'" says Frey.
NB: The cost of the album given above is at least ten times the figure I've seen elsewhere and seems unlikely given it was recorded in 2-3 weeks.

NightMistBlue
07-06-2015, 09:35 AM
Great information - thank you for taking the time to do that, UTW. It sounds like my kinda book! I don't know why I love those nerdy "inside the music business" books. I must be a frustrated mogul.

Fascinating remark by Henley regarding his and Frey's work ethic (implying the other members were less industrious perhaps, or at least had to be led - according to DH anyway).

UndertheWire
07-06-2015, 09:44 AM
There's a radio interview with Bernie from 2103 (you'll find a link on one of his threads) in which he pretty much confirms that Glenn and Don lived the band 24/7 which is why they were so productive whereas he took time to go to the beach and be with friends and Randy went home to his family.

I'm a fellow nerd as I like to read the business stuff. You can't understand the decisions if you don't know the environment.

The book describes the coming and goings of Eagles managers and that is interesting reading. It seems like Frey/Henley dropped John Hartmann in it but he doesn't hold a grudge.

AlreadyGone95
07-12-2015, 09:01 PM
Since reading Felder's book, I decided to read this thread to see what books about the Eagles are good reads.(unfortunately, I'm broke until August, so I'll have to wait a few weeks to order anything) I'll probably get the "hooker" book because it's available for a few pennies on Amazon, and I'm extremely interested in the chapter about Glenn, :twisted:.

I'll probably also try to get the Forres and Vaughn books because those seem like the overall best from what I've read in this thread. Plus, I'll enjoy staring at the photos!

ETA: I'll have to come up with an explanation for the hooker to give to my mom. I can only imagine her reaction if I told her what the book is about. :lol:

UndertheWire
07-13-2015, 07:02 AM
Let us know what explanation you come up with for the hooker book! I haven't come up with one yet.
I recommend the Marc Eliot book if you want information but maybe the Ben Torres Fong one for pictures. Or "Flying High" if you want someone who gives Glenn his due, even if it's all from secondary sources. Maybe your library has some of the books.

Has anyone read the Eagles FAQ book? (I'm waiting for it to be cheaper)

ETA: After this, I had a look for the hooker book on amazon, and then realised, to my horror, that I was still logged in as my husband in the account that is used by people at work. Luckily, it's possible to edit the browsing history.

NightMistBlue
07-13-2015, 09:49 AM
Since reading Felder's book...

You're finished already? What did you think of it?

I had the hooker book on cassette. I don't even remember why I bought it (this was before I became a full-blown Eagles addict). It was kinda depressing.

P.S. I got the "Mansion on the Hill" book from the library and will ferret out all the Eagles references using the index.

AlreadyGone95
07-13-2015, 11:54 AM
I wrote a small opinion about Felder's book in its thread. I didn't want to bring up anything that's already been talked about to death over the past 8 years.

I'll check out my libraries for any of the books when I return Felder's book. That way I can decide if I think that any of the books are worth the price of a decent copy on Amazon. I think that buying the hooker book is better than checking out of a library. It just feels wrong to do that, :lol:. I'm probably not going to say anything about that book to my mom unless she asks. Alot of times, she's the one gets the mail, so that's why I'll have to try to tiptoe around her. Even though I am an adult, this kind of subject is taboo here.

Oops, UTW :hilarious:. I'm glad that I'm the only one with an Amazon account in thus household!

NightMistBlue
07-13-2015, 01:29 PM
I concur in UTW's recommendation of the Marc Eliot book. The author had Henley's cooperation for a time, if I understand correctly, and obtained some remarkably frank and personal comments.

Also, I appreciated Eliot's detailed account of Randy's pre-Eagles career as a (literally) starving musician.

UndertheWire
07-14-2015, 07:00 AM
I want to post something that isn't about the Eagles, although the same book has interviews with Glenn Frey and Don Henley from the late 80s. The book is "On the Record" by Joe Smith - the same Joe Smith who headed Elektra in the late-70s and sent the band a rhyming dictionary. Smith interviewed lots of people he knew in the industry and this interview with Chris Wright who managed several 70s British acts resonated.

Ten Years After, which I did deal with, was a nightmare. I had a vested interest in keeping Ten Years After together, and if it were not for my emotional commitment to Ten Years After making it, they would have broken up before they ever made it.

The things they went through, the fights, were outrageous. It was ridiculous. They did a number called "Good Morning, Little Schoolgirl," an old blues number. The keyboard payer dropped out, and the drummer dropped out completely, although he might have done just a little high-hat to keep the rhythm going. But the guitarist, Alvin Lee, and the bass player, Leo Lyons, would stand next to each other and fight, making these noises at each other in front of 20,000 people. It gets worse. They would also throw bottles at each othere. There was many a night I did not think we were going to get through the gig. The minute I stopped managing them, it was over. That quickly. I suppose deep down inside all groups are a little difficult to manage.
Here is Irving Azoff from the same book.

The Eagles were breaking up from the day I met them. The first day I met them, in Kansas City, Missouri, we were driving to Springfield, and Bernie and I were feuding. There was talk of breakup on that tour. At the end of every tour they broke up. So there is no date as to an actual breakup. One day they just kind of drifted into a divorce. I still believe that someday they'll collaborated once again. Many other bands have come back for reunion shot after reunion shot. They take the money and run. Glenn and Don don't do that. That should tell you something about their integrity.

DJ
07-14-2015, 04:42 PM
I want to post something that isn't about the Eagles, although the same book has interviews with Glenn Frey and Don Henley from the late 80s. The book is "On the Record" by Joe Smith - the same Joe Smith who headed Elektra in the late-70s and sent the band a rhyming dictionary. Smith interviewed lots of people he knew in the industry and this interview with Chris Wright who managed several 70s British acts resonated.

Here is Irving Azoff from the same book.

Wow, and he's still their "Satan"? I suppose Irv doesn't love the money....

NightMistBlue
07-14-2015, 04:55 PM
Incidentally, why did Joe Smith give the band a rhyming dictionary? Was he just being droll or was it a critique of their songwriting? :)

UndertheWire
07-14-2015, 05:07 PM
Probably both being droll and criticising the speed of their songwriting. This was during the recording of The Long Run album.

07-15-2015, 05:49 PM
Thanks for posting those quotes, UTW; they give us a different perspective from other stuff you may read on the internet for sure.

AlreadyGone95
07-23-2015, 01:45 PM
Well, my local library does have the Marc Elliot book, but it's checked out. I'll have a hold placed on it, so that I'll be the next person to check the book out.

I haven't had a chance to look for the other books at the library yet.

NightMistBlue
07-23-2015, 02:43 PM
I hadn't planned on buying the Eagles FAQ book but am now enjoying the Beach Boys FAQ so much that it's got me curious about the Andrew Vaughn tome.

The "Funk #49: Guitar Talk" chapter is that, I hope, info on who plays which solos? That would be very helpful.

Funk 50
07-24-2015, 02:05 PM
Incidentally, why did Joe Smith give the band a rhyming dictionary? Was he just being droll or was it a critique of their songwriting? :)

After the tumultuous success of Hotel California, which made everybody tonnes of money, the record company were expecting a similar injection of Eagles cash from a follow up album in 1978. When the album didn't materialise and The Long Run sessions dragged on and on, and deadlines came and went, the rhyming dictionary was Joe Smith's little token of encouragement for get the band to finish the next Eagles album and get the cash rolling in again. :)

The "Funk #49: Guitar Talk" chapter is that, I hope, info on who plays which solos? That would be very helpful.

Funk #49 is a pre-Eagles, The James Gang track. I'm surprised it's featured in an Eagles book, although they have been performing it live, since Joe joined the band in the mid 70s.
:eyebrow:

UndertheWire
07-25-2015, 05:58 AM
Funk #49 is a pre-Eagles, The James Gang track. I'm surprised it's featured in an Eagles book, although they have been performing it live, since Joe joined the band in the mid 70s.
:eyebrow:
The FAQ book covers a lot more than just the band, so it probably covers at least Joe's part in The James Gang. Nearly all the chapter titles are plays on song or album titles. For example, there's "The Player You Get: Hey Joe Walsh". There are even a couple of borrowed titles like "London Calling" and "The Long and Winding Road".

AlreadyGone95
07-25-2015, 11:36 AM
So none of us have read the faq book yet? I can get it for less than $10 on Amazon new(including shipping), so I'll probably bite the bullet a week from Monday and buy it along with the hooker book. (I've told my mom to be prepared for packages coming in sometime around the second week of August).

zeldabjr
07-25-2015, 06:45 PM
I just ordered it this afternoon...just had to have it..

NightMistBlue
08-04-2015, 02:25 PM
Last night, I read the Eagles-related bits in "The Mansion on the Hill: Dylan, Young, Geffen, Springsteen and the Head-on Collision of Rock and Commerce," by Fred Goodman. I have concerns about the author's fact-checking. He tells about the near-bust in the Bahamas airport and claims that "Paul McCartney's recent bust in Japan" for pot possession was on Azoff's mind. If so, then Azoff is a gifted psychic, as McCartney's Japan bust was in 1980. The Eagles' Caribbean adventure was in the 1970s, from the look of the footage in HOTE.

AlreadyGone95
08-11-2015, 05:02 PM
I got the Marc Eliot book checked out from the library today. I'll start reading it asap. I still haven't looked for the other books, nor bought the "hooker" book yet.

ETA: I went ahead and bought "You'll Never Make Love in this Town Again" on Amazon. There's several used copies for only 1 penny, so I couldn't resist the temptation. :hilarious:. My explanation will be plain and simple. "It's a book the contains a bit of info into the personal lives of 2 of the Eagles members, among others". That's a buy-able explanation, right?

AlreadyGone95
08-15-2015, 02:09 AM
I finished To The limit last night.I knew almost everything in the book already, but it was an enjoyable read, despite the factual errors. I'd say it's a good biography of the band, for the most part. I wished that it wasn't so Henley-centered, though. (I know why he's the main focal point).

LuvTim
08-15-2015, 08:05 PM
I recently read Andrew Vaughn's The Eagles FAQ: All That's Left To Know About Rock's Superstars. I held a highlighter in one hand as I eagerly looked forward to marking each passage filled with all the interesting new things I would surely learn from an author making such a claim. I regret that I must report to you that the highlighter was never opened.
I read a lot of incidental information about the business, the era, and the
locale-too much of that, really-but nothing really new about the boys. I guess maybe I've already read too much to be very surprised by this, but it was still a little disappointing. So...Meh. (I really don't like to be so negative, so let me say that if you are a new fan, there is probably something to be gained from reading this book.)
And again, the same problem for us TBS fans-not near as much in the way of interesting info on Timothy as we always get about the rest of the line-up. (In the FAQ book, even his discography is incomplete.) :brickwall:

NightMistBlue
08-17-2015, 02:16 PM
I finished To The limit last night.I knew almost everything in the book already, but it was an enjoyable read, despite the factual errors. I'd say it's a good biography of the band, for the most part. I wished that it wasn't so Henley-centered, though. (I know why he's the main focal point).

You're a fast reader. I thought the interviews with Henley were strangely revealing - as if someone had given him sodium pentathol, as others have remarked.

Onto the hooker book! I can barely remember it, but I think Glenn came off quite well, considering.

AlreadyGone95
08-17-2015, 02:37 PM
You're a fast reader. I thought the interviews with Henley were strangely revealing - as if someone had given him sodium pentathol, as others have remarked.

Onto the hooker book! I can barely remember it, but I think Glenn came off quite well, considering.

When I become interested in a book, I find them hard to put down.
Lol, I agree with that comment about the Henley interviews! Knowing Amazon, they'll make me wait 2 weeks for the book to arrive! I don't have the patience for that!

AlreadyGone95
08-19-2015, 03:39 PM
Well, the hooker book arrived today. I only read Glenn's chapter (probably the only chapter I'll read). I think that I'll be in daydream land for a little while. :twisted: :grin: ;)

NightMistBlue
08-19-2015, 04:01 PM
This could get dangerous :) I was concerned it could be a bad influence on ya! Now you're really frey'd.

AlreadyGone95
08-19-2015, 04:32 PM
This could get dangerous :) I was concerned it could be a bad influence on ya! Now you're really frey'd.

:rofl:. The more Frey'd the better. I'm not sayin' anything about the "influence". ;).

08-19-2015, 11:03 PM
Well, I will have to say that Glenn's chapter in the hooker book titled "Simply the Best" is quite apropos - definitely takes the mind to incredible places. :thumbsup:

LuvTim
08-19-2015, 11:13 PM
Well, the hooker book arrived today. I only read Glenn's chapter (probably the only chapter I'll read). I think that I'll be in daydream land for a little while. :twisted: :grin: ;)

AG, what's the name of the hooker book you're reading?

08-20-2015, 12:17 AM
LT - The "the hooker book" is named You'll Never Make Love in This Town.

AlreadyGone95
08-20-2015, 12:42 AM
Well, I will have to say that Glenn's chapter in the hooker book titled "Simply the Best" is quite apropos - definitely takes the mind to incredible places. :thumbsup:

I wholeheartedly agree, Dreamer!

NightMistBlue
08-20-2015, 09:28 AM
Oh no, we've corrupted LuvTim now! :) She sounds like she's gonna check it out.

AlreadyGone95
08-20-2015, 12:06 PM

We're all a bit twisted, I think. :D ;)

I skimmed one of the Don Henley chapters of the book. No where near what Glenn's chapter, but it wasn't quite as bad as I had expected. ( I've read the very old Glenn thread called "Simply the best".)

LuvTim
08-20-2015, 06:51 PM

You are so insightful...yup, I'm gonna check it out! (Thanks to you all!) :thumbsup:

LuvTim
08-20-2015, 06:51 PM
LT - The "the hooker book" is named You'll Never Make Love in This Town.

Thanks, Dreamer!

LuvTim
08-20-2015, 07:00 PM
OMG, this is not a book written by someone named Hooker. It's a book about real hookers! I can't even...:pimp:
I am so lame. :hilarious:

Of course, now I must have a look.

08-20-2015, 09:28 PM
LT - Not only that, the book was actually authored by the hookers. Each chapter is one of the high-priced hookers telling about their encounters with one of their high-profile clients. I actually didn't give you the correct name of the book - the title is You'll Never Make Love In This Town Again.

Don't feel lame though - you're not the only one here that is curious about the book or, at least, the Don and Glenn chapters. :wink: :grin:

Houston Baby
08-21-2015, 08:19 AM
OMG, this is not a book written by someone named Hooker. It's a book about real hookers! I can't even...:pimp:

:hilarious:

AlreadyGone95
08-21-2015, 09:43 AM
I am so lame. :hilarious:

Of course, now I must have a look.

:rofl:

No, it's just that that alternative title is much more easier to type.

NightMistBlue
08-21-2015, 10:26 AM
I won't spoil the Henley chapter for you but will only say: you'll never listen to "Pretty Maids All in a Row" without being reminded of it :angel:

UndertheWire
08-21-2015, 10:48 AM
I won't spoil the Henley chapter for you but will only say: you'll never listen to "Pretty Maids All in a Row" without being reminded of it :angel:
Yikes, I haven't even read the book and now I'll be thinking of that. I suppose you have to admire his (chemically enhanced) stamina. I have a hard time reconciling that with the current "grandpa" image.

AlreadyGone95
08-21-2015, 11:46 AM
Aren't there 2 Don Henley chapters? I've only come across one, but I thought that there are 2?

Ever since reading Glenn's chapter, I've had his song The Allnighter stuck in my head. I wonder why? ;) :blush: :sigh:

NightMistBlue
08-21-2015, 11:50 AM
Aren't there 2 Don Henley chapters? I've only come across one, but I thought that there are 2?

Can't help you there, I had the audiobook - on cassette! Old school.

AlreadyGone95
08-21-2015, 12:00 PM
Can't help you there, I had the audiobook - on cassette! Old school.

Lol, old school indeed. I bought the actual book. I've never cared much for audio books.

DJ
08-21-2015, 10:50 PM
Ok I'm intrigued I ordered both. So cheap on Amazon.

LuvTim
08-21-2015, 11:16 PM
I'll have to put it off for a short while. I arrived at my mother's house today for a few weeks-if you know what I mean. :angel:

Funk 50
08-23-2015, 06:07 AM
Well this aint a book but it's good Eagles reading.

EaglesStory by Dick Curtis;
http://www.pugetsoundradio.com/2015/08/20/eagles-story-dick-curtis/

L101
08-23-2015, 07:46 AM
Nice find F50! So the Eagles weren't really into drugs that much ....... :hilarious:
I would really love to find out more about Don and that famous bed incident....... He was a bit of an ass there firing Fernandez. Fame obviously got to him at that point.

DivineDon
08-23-2015, 11:26 AM
Not nice Don but as the author said, maybe there were other reasons leading up to Don firing Fernandez or maybe he was just an ass, as you said Lacken and needed to grow up.....

....right now, I'm still thinking of THAT book and Pretty Maids All in a Row :eyebrow:...maybe that's why he needed a King Sized Bed!!!

AlreadyGone95
08-23-2015, 12:11 PM
Cool read! Love the part about the Eagles not being much into drugs, just joints and blow. :hilarious:

I thought that I read somewhere that Fernandez was partially fired because of excessive drug use, but I can't remember.

08-23-2015, 01:48 PM
Not nice Don but as the author said, maybe there were other reasons leading up to Don firing Fernandez or maybe he was just an ass, as you said Lacken and needed to grow up.....

....right now, I'm still thinking of THAT book and Pretty Maids All in a Row :eyebrow:...maybe that's why he needed a King Sized Bed!!!

:hilarious: Now - that's just wrong, DD!

And as far as Don firing Richie Fernandez, I believe Don felt his partying was interfering with his job performance.

And thanks for the link, F50. I haven't had a chance to read the article, but, hopefully, I can later this afternoon. Gotta sign off for now!

NightMistBlue
08-24-2015, 10:25 AM
Cool read! Love the part about the Eagles not being much into drugs, just joints and blow. :hilarious:

I thought that I read somewhere that Fernandez was partially fired because of excessive drug use, but I can't remember.

Yes, Henley was quoted in the Elliot book as saying Fernandez was a nice guy but a pothead, and it made his job performance unreliable.

Funk 50
08-24-2015, 02:45 PM
I'm pretty sure that Don had special bed requirements due to his back problems.... related to drumming and singing at the same time. :drummer:

Apparently, it got so bad that Don played some of the drums on The Long Run album, laid flat on his back. :eyebrow:

NightMistBlue
08-24-2015, 03:01 PM
How can you play the drums while lying on your back?! You'd have to suspend the drums from the ceiling and that would change their sound, one would think.

Years ago, the Miami Herald interviewed the two ladies who owned Home at Last, the business that found local homes for visiting musicians to rent, usually when they were recording at Criteria. They mentioned that the members of the Eagles wanted to sleep in beds exactly like the ones they had at home: specific types of mattresses, headboards, etc. That must have been mostly due to poor Don and his back problems.

Or maybe they were just being brattish! One of the women said, "They like to call at the last second and say 'Here we come.'" So the women had to then scramble to the warehouse where they kept the special Eagles bedding and find a big, glam house to rent. Usually it was the house pictured on Eric Clapton's 461 Ocean Boulevard album. That's where they stayed when they recorded Hotel California.

UndertheWire
08-25-2015, 10:06 AM
I'm amused at the idea of them sharing a house, no matter how glam. Also, that at one point their idea of room trash was having a food fight.

AlreadyGone95
08-25-2015, 01:23 PM
I've heard of Don playing drums while lying on his back. I don't know if it's true or even physically possible. I would think that it would do more damage or cause even more pain!

I just want to be a fly on the wall of one of those houses, especially the one Don and Glenn lived in!

NightMistBlue
08-26-2015, 11:47 AM
I took a photo of the house in Golden Beach where they stayed during the making of Hotel California. There are a lot of no trespassing signs around so I kept a careful distance. As you can see, the house has been renovated/changed quite a bit since the 1970s but you may be able to recognize bits of it, like the big picture window.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d128/Shenandoah07/GoldenBeachCROP_zps1ta3hy6s.jpg

Brooke
08-26-2015, 12:08 PM
Cool, NMB! When did you take it?

And thanks for sharing with us crazy people! :oops: just talking about myself there! :wink:

NightMistBlue
08-26-2015, 12:13 PM
I took it earlier this year, round about March or so. The man who lives there is the former mayor of Golden Beach. He bought the house in 1978. He claims he still has fans writing to his address or coming to the door looking for their favorite musicians! Luckily, he has a sense of humor about it.

Shoot, I'm crazy too. Not full-on crazy (some may disagree!) but I make occasional pilgrimages to sites associated with my favorite bands.

I finally got to Criteria (now called Hit Factory Criteria) a few weeks back. Man, it's hard to believe anything great took place there. The neighborhood is very poor, very blighted. The studio is behind big iron gates and surrounded by run-down apartment houses and funeral homes. Weird!

Brooke
08-26-2015, 12:15 PM
Love it! Thanks!

LuvTim
08-26-2015, 01:25 PM
I took it earlier this year, round about March or so. The man who lives there is the former mayor of Golden Beach. He bought the house in 1978. He claims he still has fans writing to his address or coming to the door looking for their favorite musicians! Luckily, he has a sense of humor about it.

Shoot, I'm crazy too. Not full-on crazy (some may disagree!) but I make occasional pilgrimages to sites associated with my favorite bands.

I finally got to Criteria (now called Hit Factory Criteria) a few weeks back. Man, it's hard to believe anything great took place there. The neighborhood is very poor, very blighted. The studio is behind big iron gates and surrounded by run-down apartment houses and funeral homes. Weird!

Wow, Nmb, so cool that you've been there and done that! :thumbsup:

AlreadyGone95
08-26-2015, 01:36 PM
That house is very cool and beautiful.

As for the craziness aspect, I'm too young and poor to be able to make excursions to visit many historical music places. I want to go to Muscle Shoals sometime.

Hey, I can say that I've been to Gainsville, Florida about 10 times. That's gotta count for something, right? :hilarious:

NightMistBlue
08-26-2015, 02:12 PM
I want to go to Muscle Shoals too, real bad! There was an excellent documentary on it in 2013; it's on Netflix. Great, great stuff. Memphis is the other place on my music bucket list.

I'm going to California in a couple weeks and hope to see a few Eagles holy sites: the Troubadour, Lucy's El Adobe, the Lido Apartments. I printed out Soda's itinerary, as shared on these forums several years ago. Thanks, Nancy!

I also used this fella's article as a jumping-off point: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/holidaytypeshub/article-602232/Welcome-Eagles-California.html

AlreadyGone95
08-26-2015, 02:21 PM
That doc is on my "to watch/buy" list. (I don't have Netflix). I wonder if I can buy it from Amazon instant video?

Have fun in California! :)

NightMistBlue
10-03-2015, 01:28 PM
I'm currently listening to an audiobook of Carole King's autobiography, which she narrates herself. It's excellent, with the added bonus that she occasionally sings a capella.

Eagles content: in 1975, she lived in Trancas Canyon near Malibu. Don Henley and JD Souther lived in a house "just up the hill" from Carole. On November 2nd of that year, Henley threw a party for JD's 30th birthday and invited Carole. It was there she met the guy who would become her third husband, Rick. He made sheepskin coats for Henley, JD and Irving Azoff. He also lived in his van and was psychotic, but that's a whole other story.

The first person Carole spotted at the party was Glenn. She greets him by name and he brushes her off - not harshly, but it's clear he doesn't recognize her. A bit strange, considering Tapestry was the Thriller of its day. Maybe he was just hungry; she mentions he was at the buffet loading his plate with food.

She also mentions Randy Meisner as one of three bass players on James Taylor's Sweet Baby James. Randy was apparently chosen by Peter Asher, James' producer and manager at the time.

10-03-2015, 03:49 PM
Maybe he was just hungry; she mentions he was at the buffet loading his plate with food.

:lol: :lol: Well, there is the old proverb that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach. I think there may be some truth to this. Nothing distracts a hungry young man. :wink: :grin:

NightMistBlue
10-06-2015, 11:24 AM
Ooh! Just read that Carole is going to get the Kennedy Center honors this year at the same ceremony as the Eagles :) I'm sure Glenn won't give her the brush off this time, even if she calls to him while he's in the buffet line.

UndertheWire
10-12-2015, 05:23 AM
I gave in and bought the FAQ book last week (just before the competition was announced) and now I've read a lot of it, I can see why there hasn't been a lot said about it. It's a good "starter" book but doesn't have much for an obsessive fan. The author is very careful and there's little gossip, opinion or controversy. The book doesn't have many pictures and those it has are in b&w.

Pros
- it has good perspective - it puts the band into the context of the time, location and the music scene
- it's not just a chronological account as there are chapters on subjects like "the fifth eagle", guitars, romantic entanglements
- the tone is neutral and non-judgemental
- the author gives his sources for quotes
- a few new titbits about the pre-Eagle days

Cons
- very little new and less depth than some of the others
- although the author says he has interviewed many of the people through the years, it doesn't come across
- he raised some interesting discussion points and then covers the subject too superficially
- stupid mistakes that should have been caught (eg getting the year wrong for the Cranston benefit)

From this and other books, I find it interesting that despite Don Henley's stated feelings about privacy, there is a lot more written about his private life than Glenn's. It might be that the press is more interested in Don but I also think it's because Don is less guarded in interviews and over the years has done more publicity.

NightMistBlue
10-12-2015, 12:50 PM
Thank you for the review, UtW.

"I find it interesting that despite Don Henley's stated feelings about privacy, there is a lot more written about his private life than Glenn's." Good observation! It still astounds me that it's not well known that Joni Mitchell's "Help Me" was written about Glenn. I already mentioned the meticulously researched Sheila Weller biography "Girls Like Us" - even she didn't know about Glenn, and this is an author who tracked down Joni's childhood friends and neighbors in the Canadian hinterlands.

Brooke
10-12-2015, 01:30 PM
UtW, thanks for reviewing the book! That has helped me decide whether or not to buy it. Probably not!

GlennLover
10-12-2015, 10:31 PM
Thank you for the review, UtW.

"I find it interesting that despite Don Henley's stated feelings about privacy, there is a lot more written about his private life than Glenn's." Good observation! It still astounds me that it's not well known that Joni Mitchell's "Help Me" was written about Glenn. I already mentioned the meticulously researched Sheila Weller biography "Girls Like Us" - even she didn't know about Glenn, and this is an author who tracked down Joni's childhood friends and neighbors in the Canadian hinterlands.

NMB, I have been searching for years for proof that "Help Me" was actually about Glenn, with no luck. Could you give me a reference for this. Thanks

NightMistBlue
10-13-2015, 09:34 AM
The ladies of the forum, to paraphrase a Joni album title! I think it was Soda who said she was told directly by a source who absolutely would know that "Help Me" and "Car on a Hill" are about Glenn.

Funk 50
10-13-2015, 01:16 PM
NMB, I have been searching for years for proof that "Help Me" was actually about Glenn, with no luck. Could you give me a reference for this. Thanks

I wouldn't go to Songfacts for proof but it's a source;

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=5920

They've nothing so far for Car On A Hill but the lyrics are in keeping with the little we know of Glenn... plus he did have "Gladys":

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/a3/ab/90/a3ab90d78a3b9a3fcec0ed0a92d30a41.jpg

NightMistBlue
10-13-2015, 01:31 PM
I've heard that Girls Like Us is going to be made into a movie. I hope Glenn doesn't mind that his friend Jackson Browne will get the credit for inspiring Joni to write those two songs! :)

Freypower
10-13-2015, 04:47 PM
The ladies of the forum, to paraphrase a Joni album title! I think it was Soda who said she was told directly by a source who absolutely would know that "Help Me" and "Car on a Hill" are about Glenn.

It was me who was told that.

GlennLover
10-13-2015, 10:53 PM
Thanks MBM, Funk50 & FP.

NightMistBlue
11-02-2015, 11:30 AM
I'm currently reading a very well-researched book on the band Bread (don't judge!) by first-time author Malcolm Searles. In his post-Bread career, Jimmy Griffin was in a band with Randy Meisner called Black Tie. They released an album in 1985 called When the Night Comes Falling Down on a small, independent label. OK, all of this is reasonably well known.

What is I believe "new" information for most of us is that Bernie Leadon joined the band on their U.S. promotional tour in early 1986. I don't recall coming across this nugget of info in any Eagles books/interviews/what-have-you. The author cites Billboard reviews of two shows, among other sources.

Black Tie failed to secure major label support and went into dormancy for five years. Bernie's involvement appears to have been confined to that several months in 1986. So it's not earth-shattering stuff, but I thought it was pretty significant and strangely under-reported. Maybe it's just my advanced case of Meisner mania that makes it seem so.

UndertheWire
11-02-2015, 12:36 PM
The under-reporting of Randy and Bernie is pretty consistent. If they didn't get much newspaper coverage at the time, there isn't a lot for book writers to go on, unless they take the time to interview people.

I'm not going to judge you on Bread. I was quite keen on David Gates, back in the day and I've sinced wondered how Jimmy Griffin fits in.

NightMistBlue
11-02-2015, 01:51 PM
Jimmy had an interesting pre-Bread career. He grew up across the street from legendary rock singers Dorsey and Johnny Burnette. When he came west at the tender age of 18, the record company groomed him as a teen idol. He also did some movie acting.

Thank you for your soft rock tolerance :)

Brooke
11-02-2015, 03:07 PM
I won't judge either, NMB. I always loved Bread's songs!

LuvTim
11-02-2015, 09:30 PM
Well, being a starry-eyed teenager in the 70's, I and all of my friends loved Bread...I Wanna Make It With You, Baby I'm-A Want You, etc.
Still think they're dreamy. Lol...

AlreadyGone95
11-02-2015, 09:38 PM
This youngster admits to liking Everything I Own and Baby, I'm a Want You. :). Nice to find some new "nuggets".

GlennLover
11-03-2015, 08:47 AM
I've always been a fan of Bread as well! I have some of their music on my iPod.

NightMistBlue
11-03-2015, 10:36 AM
Wonderful - Bread fans are coming out of the closet.

I'm going to try to track down those reviews of the Black Tie shows that featured Bernie and Randy. Because I'm a nut, basically. :)

Gosh, it would be nice if there was a photograph of that line-up, or - dare I dream - a recording.

Brooke
11-03-2015, 10:50 AM
I've always been a fan of Bread as well! I have some of their music on my iPod.

I need to do that ASAP!

NightMistBlue
11-09-2015, 04:56 PM
The worst part of the Shapiro book is there are lots of really obvious errors - he gets names mixed up and at one point he says that Don Felder was born in Topanga Canyon.

That error also appears in the Billboard Book of Number One Hits. Are proofreaders on the endangered species list, one wonders.

The Shapiro book was published in 1995, when Randy was probably still smarting about not being included in the HFO reunion/resumption.

Henley and Azoff had very, very harsh things to say about Randy in Marc Eliot's book, published in 1998. Maybe they were getting him back, or just decided to be less discreet about what they saw as Randy's shortcomings.

sad-cafe
11-09-2015, 08:50 PM
I also like BREAD I have a "Best of"

all the good ones

UndertheWire
11-12-2015, 05:19 PM
There's a very short e-book about an LA folk club which promises stories on familiar names, including Longbranch Pennywhistle. It's free to "borrow" with Amazon Prime in the US (but not UK).
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015D9D1DK?keywords=fantastic%20expedition&qid=1444326807&ref_=nav_signin&sr=8-1

GlennLover
11-12-2015, 09:08 PM
I bought it from Amazon.ca for Kindle for $3.95.

UndertheWire
11-13-2015, 05:01 AM
I bought it from Amazon.ca for Kindle for $3.95.
Is it worthwhile?

GlennLover
11-13-2015, 08:04 AM
Is it worthwhile?

I've just skimmed through it. Glenn & JD are mentioned several times, mostly just saying that they played on this show or that. There is, however, a few paragraphs on Longbranch Pennywhistle. I'll post & paraphrase it later, as I don't have time right now. The "article", as the writer calls it, is about an LA club in the later 1970's. The majority of the artists mentioned are relatively unknown.

AlreadyGone95
12-12-2015, 01:28 PM
I just finished reading the Eagles FAQ book. Overall, I enjoyed it. I really liked the inclusion of telling about Eagles related things, like the history of the Troubadour. Having other musicians talk about the band was also cool. I didn't learn anything new, but it's still a well written biography.

sodascouts
12-15-2015, 12:31 PM
I collect all the Eagles books I can for that reason. Even if there's no new information, it's fun to look at the different photos and approaches.

NightMistBlue
12-16-2015, 10:35 AM
I just finished reading the Eagles FAQ book. Overall, I enjoyed it. I really liked the inclusion of telling about Eagles related things, like the history of the Troubadour. Having other musicians talk about the band was also cool. I didn't learn anything new, but it's still a well written biography.

I'm going to ask Santa for that.

AlreadyGone95
04-01-2016, 01:35 PM
I've just ordered Ben Fong-Torres' Taking It To The Limit. and Laura Jackson's Flying High. Both are available on Amazon, and are fairly cheap, though Flying High has to come from the UK. I bought something for my mom, and those 2 books were under the recommendations, so why not? I wanted to get Andrew Vaughan's other book The Eagles: An American Band, but it's a little too high priced for me.

NightMistBlue
04-12-2016, 11:09 AM
My Rick Roberts (Firefall, Burrito Brothers, Roberts-Meisner Band) book "Lame Brain" arrived yesterday and I tucked into it right away. Roberts has a conversational, easy style of writing without being rambling or disorganized.

Rick mentions that he was a regular at the infamous Don 'n Glenn poker games of the early 70s. Randy was a frequent guest, that's mainly how Rick got to know him. They later formed the Roberts-Meisner Band and toured the U.S. sporadically circa 1987-89.

Most of Rick's book is about his life in the 1980s up to the present, so there's very little detail about the "glory days" and more about his declining career and growing dependence on the bottle. It sounds depressing, and some parts are sad, but it's content that most biographies tend to skim over (if they address it honestly at all) so it's certainly worthwhile IMO.

Rick describes Randy as a kind, gentle man who (in Rick's opinion) was haunted by his decision to leave the Eagles. Though Rick says Randy was backed into a corner and had to leave to preserve his self-respect, nevertheless we all know it's been a challenging road for Meis since then. Roberts also describes Randy as his "equal partner in crime" in "drinking and sniffing at full tilt" during their time together. Roberts believes now their reputation as "big-time party guys" hurt their careers in ways they didn't realize at the time.

NightMistBlue
04-14-2016, 09:36 AM
I would really like to read the unpublished 900-page Eagles biography that was written by Ed Sanders in the early 80s. As an authorised biography, it might be missing some of the dirt, but at least he was writing without the tricks thirty years plays on memories.

The book's mentioned in an old People magazine article (http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20083446,00.html).

Me too. Ed Sanders is a very unusual man. I wonder why the Eagles chose him as their biographer? UtW, how do we know the manuscript is 900 pages? I wouldn't be surprised if Sanders linked the Eagles with the Manson family or had some other wacky conspiracy theories woven into the mix.

UndertheWire
04-14-2016, 11:08 AM
Sanders was a friend of Glenn and JD at the time he was researching Manson. There are a couple of stories from that time. One has Glenn and JD turning up to look for Sanders at his hotel and causing panic because people thought they were Manson family, and the other has Glenn throwing milk bottles at Manson family members hanging around outside the place in Echo Park.

I don't remember where I got the 900 pages from, but in this interview, Sanders says it has 4 volumes.

http://www.georgepetros.com/writings/seconds/sanders.pdf

NightMistBlue
04-14-2016, 01:13 PM
Thank you, UtW. I vaguely remember hearing the Echo Park bottling anecdote but didn't understand it (still don't, really!).

They must have been friends for a long time - from Echo Park (1969? 70?) until the Henley scandal in 1980.

Sanders is 76 years old now. I wonder what will become of his manuscript. Four volumes!

UndertheWire
04-15-2016, 05:33 AM
I'm hoping this messy link (https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=yp74VJ2TlBEC&pg=PA367&lpg=PA367&dq=%22ed+sanders%22++%22Glenn+Frey%22&source=bl&ots=kWLUuLcdL_&sig=CZigDOsUpPPJQSoD_6T8lVREelM&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjEj5q9qZDMAhWC2RoKHbhBBQUQ6AEISzAK#v=on epage&q=%22ed%20sanders%22%20%20%22Glenn%20Frey%22&f=false) will take you to a Google books search with the motel story.

The milk bottle story is in Barney Hoskin's HotelCalifornia book.

At night it got scarier, especially when The Fugs' Ed Sanders - researching a book on Charles Manson - stayed with them. "A couple of times," Jackson Browne remembers, "Glenn had to throw milk bottles through the window to discourage what Sanders called 'the sleazo inputs' who were after him."

NightMistBlue
05-19-2016, 11:01 AM
As I mentioned in the Book Club thread, I'm currently listening to the audiobook of Mick Fleetwood's autobiography, "Play On." Fleetwood Mac and the Eagles were both on the Warner label, if I understand correctly. They were the two most successful rock bands of the time (along with Zeppelin and perhaps a very few others). The two bands were rivals but it seems to have been a friendly rivalry.

Therefore, it struck me as odd to realize that both bands released their major albums, Rumours and Hotel California, at virtually the same time: December 1976. I would have assumed that the label (and the band themselves) would avoid stepping on each other in the marketplace. The Beatles and the Stones had a cooperative, informal agreement in the 60s not to release records at the same time - they would wait a few weeks or a few months, whichever was best to avoid direct competition.

Why didn't the Eagles and the Mac do this? Mick doesn't address it at all, and he was the band's manager at the time, so apparently it wasn't an issue. The record industry was at the zenith of its sales, so maybe everyone felt there was plenty to go around. Anyone know?

Jonny Come Lately
05-20-2016, 04:20 PM
Interesting point about the close proximity of the HC and Rumours releases. I have no idea why, but I would cautiously suggest this may have been because there was no indication that Rumours was going to be quite so successful? The Eagles had already had two US #1 singles (BOML and OOTN) and had just released Greatest Hits Volume 1 so, especially with Joe Walsh coming on board, there was probably quite some expectation that the next Eagles record would be a hit. Obviously I was not around at the time so can't say for certain, but I don't get a sense that there were such big expectations for the next Fleetwood Mac album - their previous album was the first with that line up. Still, no matter what the reason, I don't think it can be argued that it hindered the sales of either album!

NightMistBlue
05-20-2016, 04:32 PM
Indeed, they did alright.

To hear Mr. Fleetwood tell it, there was a lot of buzz and expectation within the music industry about Rumours. Their 1975 album hit #1 and had three hit singles. Not as impressive as the Eagles' track record, but apparently FM had a lot of momentum gathering, both in record sales and touring popularity.

Hmph. I see the Wikipedia entry on Rumours says it was released in February 1977. But Mick distinctly says in his book it was released "before Christmas, 1976." :headscratch:

NightMistBlue
08-03-2016, 01:27 PM
Just breezed through it. Seemed strangely flat, considering what an amazing career Mr. Johns has had. I read the Eagles chapter carefully though.

Do let us know what you think when you've finished.

NightMistBlue
04-26-2017, 11:06 AM
Does anyone know if the Eagles attended the 1976 Grammys? I've never heard of them attending an awards show - too uncool - but Toni Tennille (in her recent memoir) says they were there.

New Kid In Town
04-26-2017, 11:52 AM
From everything I have read, no they never went to the Grammy Awards. I read that when they won the Grammy for Lying Eyes in 1976, Joe accepted for them as they were touring. Apparently at that time they did not believe it was fair to single out one artist for awards.

BlueJeanBaby
04-26-2017, 12:17 PM
Not sure about '76... there's the one story that they didn't want to go unless they were sure they'd win - I believe that was '77, when they did end up winning with Hotel California.

I've also seen a couple Grammy '78 photos with Glenn and Randy, but it looks like an after-party or something.

NightMistBlue
04-26-2017, 02:32 PM
Yes, that was an after-party at Le Bistro; neither attended the 1978 ceremony.

Thank you, New Kid - maybe Toni saw Joe and (mis)remembered it as the whole group attending.

EDIT: but wait! Wouldn't Joe have been touring with his fellow Eagles in 1976? He was a new member of just a few months.

New Kid In Town
04-26-2017, 09:01 PM
Oops, your right. Sorry did not think of that when I posted it. Unless it was '75?

NightMistBlue
04-27-2017, 09:18 AM
No, she said it was the 1976 ceremony, held early in the year (February) to celebrate the biggest 'n best music of 1975.

sodascouts
04-29-2017, 05:05 PM
From what I understand, they attended the after party/parties lol, but not the ceremony. She may have seen them there and gotten a bit mixed up.

NightMistBlue
04-30-2017, 11:15 AM
Thank you, Soda :)

Delilah
08-11-2017, 10:52 AM
Just skimmed through Laura Jackson's "The Eagles Flying High." Since I already knew about the main events it wasn't very revealing; however there were a few details I didn't know. Also, I question the accounts of some of the episodes.

When I have more time, I'm going to read it again more carefully.

New Kid In Town
08-11-2017, 12:11 PM
Delilah - I read it too quite awhile ago. JMHO, but I thought it was one of the more accurate books. To the Limit and Eagles F&Q were loaded with errors. What do you question ? Just interested as everyone has a different perspective.

Jonny Come Lately
08-12-2017, 06:13 PM
Funnily enough I had a quick flick through Flying High in a bookshop a few weeks ago. Of the parts I read, I found it enjoyable for the most part, although I'd probably like it more if it was written from a bit more of a 'distant' perspective (not quite sure this is the right set of words). I guess it doesn't quite feel authoritative enough for my liking. Admittedly it's probably difficult to find the right balance between sounding like a cheerleader and being over-critical (to me a book like Mark Blake's Pink Floyd biog, Pigs Might Fly, gets it pretty much right). However, the only glaring error I noticed is that at one point it states that Glenn was the lead vocalist on Nightingale.

Delilah
08-12-2017, 09:10 PM
NKIT, a couple of incidents seemed "off" which is not to say they didn't happen but they don't quite jibe with other accounts. For example:

1. The author states that before the original 4 played their Colorado dates, they performed in some desert locale in New Mexico. This is where they spotted eagles flying around at night and considered it an omen. Can it be an omen if they hadn't named themselves "Eagles" yet? I thought they were still "Teen King and the Emergencies." Also the band reportedly took peyote here which I thought did not happen until they spent the night at the Joshua Tree National Park for those desert photos.

2. The author describes the drug-busting incident on the way to the Bahamas as involving the foursome of Don H, Don's girlfriend, Glenn and Irving Azoff. Yet in the documentary, Bernie is clearly there, leading Glenn to make his remark about his worst fear being locked in a room with Bernie. Also, the way the guys got away with it is described differently by Azoff himself (granted, his re-telling may have occurred years later than the book).

3. The author describes the writing of TITTL as "a soaring number for which [Don and Glenn] brought in Randy Meisner as a co-lyricist." Really? Randy originated the song, came up with the main line as well as a couple of verses, some of which were probably modified by Glenn and Don, who in turn helped him finish the song.

There may be more, but since I scanned the book quickly I may have missed them or can't be sure about them.

A couple of minor inconsistencies include referring to HC as the band's third #1 album in a row and saying Don had no serious girlfriend when he almost died in a plane crash. Yet other accounts say Maren Jensen was in the plane with him. Also, when Bernie quit, the author quotes Glenn as saying, "he went to the loo and never came back." Now would Glenn actually use the term "loo"?

Funnily enough I had a quick flick through Flying High in a bookshop a few weeks ago. Of the parts I read, I found it enjoyable for the most part, although I'd probably like it more if it was written from a bit more of a 'distant' perspective (not quite sure this is the right set of words). I guess it doesn't quite feel authoritative enough for my liking. Admittedly it's probably difficult to find the right balance between sounding like a cheerleader and being over-critical (to me a book like Mark Blake's Pink Floyd biog, Pigs Might Fly, gets it pretty much right). However, the only glaring error I noticed is that at one point it states that Glenn was the lead vocalist on Nightingale.

JCL, I agree with you about the tone of the book. It wasn't as objective-sounding as I would have expected. I was put off by the list of sources being mainly magazine articles and interviews, which provide valuable information yet still harbor some PR taint of the day. Even though Marc Elliott's book had errors, I appreciate that he gave more than a one-dimensional view of the band members not named Frey or Henley. Maybe because of this I'm being nit-picky about Flying High.

As I said earlier, there are some details I didn't know about before, esp. the awards and chart information. Being a bit of a Billboard chart geek, I appreciated the latter especially.

New Kid In Town
12-28-2017, 09:28 PM
Good for Don. I know Glenn would be happy with this.
An unrelated aside: The hubs bought the book "To The Limit" for me for Christmas. I was reading bits and pieces of it (Glenn's mom's comment about if his guitar had T&A about rolled me off the sofa laughing), and came up on the bit about the surgeries Glenn had on his nose. The author said the surgeons used Teflon to help shore things up. Assuming that's the case (and I'm not sure I take it all at face value since he has so many anonymous sources, which, as a former newsie, are big red flags for me), then you can look up "teflon rheumatoid arthritis" on Google and there's an established link between the two. It just makes me wonder. It would make sense, sadly.
Interesting book, though.

Hi Pippin - How was your Christmas ? Glenn did have his nose fixed twice. So did Linda R. And, I would not be surprised if quite a few of that whole 70's crowd did too. Keep in mind there is a lot of wrong information in the book including that the Super Bowl occurs in October. He also states that Gllenn's mother did not remarry until Glenn was 16. As per Glenn, his mother re-married when he was 3 and he was adopted by his step-father shortly thereafter. There is a lot of family info that is wrong and the book is very pro Don. He semi-cooperated with Eliot and then tried to keep the book from being published when he felt Eliot broke an agreement regarding the 1980 incident.

PS - I know this is late but congratulations on your 500th post. So glad to have you here as a boarder.:yay:

Pippinwhite
12-28-2017, 11:06 PM
@NKIT: Thanks for the heads-up about the book. The hubs just saw it on the shelf and got it for me. LOL. But I started looking at all his "sources" and all the anonymous interviews just kind of made me suspicious.

Yeah, when you devote 12 pages to one band member, 6 to one, and two to the other one, that's pretty telling. And I THOUGHT Glenn's dad -- the man who raised him -- came into the picture pretty early on. And there's also the bit about Randy getting married when he was 14. I didn't think any state would have allowed that, even with parental consent, by 1962 or so. So I'm reading with a wary eye. Heh.

But the part about the Teflon being used in the nasal surgery made me sit up and wonder. And if Linda R. had the same surgery -- with Teflon -- and now she has Parkinson's, well, it really does look like there may be a connection.

Hope you had a good Christmas!

New Kid In Town
12-28-2017, 11:47 PM
@NKIT: Thanks for the heads-up about the book. The hubs just saw it on the shelf and got it for me. LOL. But I started looking at all his "sources" and all the anonymous interviews just kind of made me suspicious.

Yeah, when you devote 12 pages to one band member, 6 to one, and two to the other one, that's pretty telling. And I THOUGHT Glenn's dad -- the man who raised him -- came into the picture pretty early on. And there's also the bit about Randy getting married when he was 14. I didn't think any state would have allowed that, even with parental consent, by 1962 or so. So I'm reading with a wary eye. Heh.
But the part about the Teflon being used in the nasal surgery made me sit up and wonder. And if Linda R. had the same surgery -- with Teflon -- and now she has Parkinson's, well, it really does look like there may be a connection.
Hope you had a good Christmas!

Thanks Pippin I had a very nice Christmas. I just want to clarify that I meant that Linda R. had two nasal surgeries. I have no idea the ins and outs regarding them other than she had surgery twice(stated in book Hotel Calif.). I do know that both illness can also be inhert.
Randy was 17 when he married his first wife, not 14. Like I said, he has a lot of wrong info in the book. Most of the first edition of the book was written with anonymous sources. He does give a good background of the record industry in LA in the late 1960's and early 70's. Let me know what you think of it when you finish it.

sodascouts
12-29-2017, 12:24 AM
I moved the posts about To The Limit here because there looks to be a bit of a discussion regarding the book.

NightMistBlue
02-12-2018, 12:50 PM
I recently read - well, skimmed - Patti Davis' 1992 memoir "The Way I See It." The esteemed Forum member Scarlet Sun told us (in the "What's Going On in Your Life?" thread) that there was Bernie/Eagles content. So! Off to the library I went.

Good news: she's actually not a bad writer. She's able to paint a visual scene in relatively few words. I could vividly picture Bernie's tiny hillside home in Topanga and the flowering acacia under which they had their first romantic encounter.

Bad news: Ms. Davis gives precious little content about other people. She may be protecting their privacy or, as one Amazon reviewer asserted, is simply not very interested in anyone but herself. We hear nothing about the other Eagles band members or how they reacted to her presence on tour. What she says about Bernie: he's one of ten kids. He was worried about being killed in a plane crash, so he and Patti traveled to gigs in a camper for awhile. They remain friends. That's pretty much it.

Bonus: Davis was also involved with Dennis Wilson of the Beach Boys, around the same time, and writes movingly about him. They shared a common bond of being abused as children.

Dawn
02-12-2018, 01:07 PM
NMB, Thanks for the heads up .. I need to go to my library and see if they have her book -if not they will order from another branch. I first read Heaven and Hell courtesy of my local library before buying a used copy at a garage sale for $1 which is no relationship to the condition or quality of the book. The sellers had priced all hardbacks at a buck and paperbacks 25 cents. They had a lot of cool stuff I was in heaven lol!

sodascouts
02-12-2018, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the summation, NMB. Would you recommend it's worth an Eagles fan's time to hunt it down?

NightMistBlue
02-13-2018, 01:11 PM
No, not really. She gives no insight into the band or Bernie or anything that was going on around them at the time. Ms. Davis goes into more detail about the homes she and Bernie lived in during this time.

She claims that the Eagles didn't want to record "I Wish You Peace" because they didn't want to use "outside" writers anymore. No mention of Tom Leadon's co-writing credit on "Hollywood Waltz."

YoungEaglesFan
02-13-2018, 03:27 PM
No, not really. She gives no insight into the band or Bernie or anything that was going on around them at the time. Ms. Davis goes into more detail about the homes she and Bernie lived in during this time.

She claims that the Eagles didn't want to record "I Wish You Peace" because they didn't want to use "outside" writers anymore. No mention of Tom Leadon's co-writing credit on "Hollywood Waltz."

That would make sense to me but with JD helping out with NKIT bad VOL, plus re-recording ITC (couple other outside writers), it doesn’t seem that represented how they felt about it. Maybe they changed their mind

NightMistBlue
02-13-2018, 03:47 PM
Or maybe that's what Bernie told her, rather than "they just don't like you" or "it's really more of a 'no girlfriends' policy." :)

If anyone else picks up the Davis book, let me know if she implies that she wrote "I Wish You Peace" on her own - that's the impression I got. She was all, "Bernie wanted my song because he hadn't written anything he liked" (paraphrase) and OOTN was almost finished. Though Glenn and Henley wrote most of the songs, Bernie and Randy always got one featured song per album, she says. She doesn't seem to know about "Journey of the Sorcerer" but maybe that doesn't count because it's an instrumental.

Delilah
02-13-2018, 04:47 PM
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the book, NMB. I’m surprised Bernie didn’t like Hollywood Waltz but maybe that’s b/c Henley changed all the lyrics.

FWIW, Laura Jackson writes in Eagles Flying High that Patti said ‘I didn’t know when I sat on my bed one night, writing a song, that it would increase the tensions that already existed.’ According to the book, Patti presented what she had to Bernie, who helped her finish it. He was determined to have it included on the album. Even though it appears the Eagles had a new rule about not using outside lyricists, the author opines that the band simply did not care for the song.

The author doesn’t provide a direct source for Patti’s quote, although her list of acknowledgements includes a variety of newspapers and magazines. Which is why I’m more skeptical of its contents than other Eagles books. She also writes that Don H and Glenn “brought in” Randy as a co-lyricist on TITTL.

NightMistBlue
02-13-2018, 05:06 PM
That would make sense to me but with JD helping out with NKIT bad VOL, plus re-recording ITC (couple other outside writers), it doesn’t seem that represented how they felt about it.

Sorry, I'm terrible at acronyms. What does ITC stand for?

shunlvswx
02-13-2018, 05:10 PM
Sorry, I'm terrible at acronyms. What does ITC stand for?

In The City.

I guess JD, Jack and others were exempt from being called outside writers.

Scarlet Sun
02-13-2018, 05:21 PM
I recently read - well, skimmed - Patti Davis' 1992 memoir "The Way I See It." The esteemed Forum member Scarlet Sun told us (in the "What's Going On in Your Life?" thread) that there was Bernie/Eagles content. So! Off to the library I went.

Good news: she's actually not a bad writer. She's able to paint a visual scene in relatively few words. I could vividly picture Bernie's tiny hillside home in Topanga and the flowering acacia under which they had their first romantic encounter.

Bad news: Ms. Davis gives precious little content about other people. She may be protecting their privacy or, as one Amazon reviewer asserted, is simply not very interested in anyone but herself. We hear nothing about the other Eagles band members or how they reacted to her presence on tour. What she says about Bernie: he's one of ten kids. He was worried about being killed in a plane crash, so he and Patti traveled to gigs in a camper for awhile. They remain friends. That's pretty much it.

Bonus: Davis was also involved with Dennis Wilson of the Beach Boys, around the same time, and writes movingly about him. They shared a common bond of being abused as children.

Didn't she write something Bernie almost quitting the band once or twice before he actually did?

Delilah
02-13-2018, 05:27 PM
I suppose it’s possible that during the making of the OOTN album, Glenn and Don H genuinely didn’t want to use outside writers. They were pretty much on fire with their songwriting at the time. I brought this up before—OOTN is the 1st (and only) album without JD, Jackson or Jack Tempchin as co-writers. Other than Bernie’s brother and then girlfriend, it’s an Eagles-only creation.

Once the album became their first #1, the bar was set high and the pressure to succeed with the next one may have induced them to accept outside help.

NightMistBlue
02-13-2018, 05:37 PM
In The City.

I guess JD, Jack and others were exempt from being called outside writers.

Thank you! That was hurting my brain. And no, they weren't exempt - Patti Davis specifically mentioned JD Souther, Jack Tempchin and Jackson Browne as outside writers. I don't think it was a real policy - or if it was, they reconsidered real quick.

shunlvswx
02-13-2018, 06:03 PM
It couldn't be a real policy because if Patti couldn't write a song on the album, then JD, Jackson, Jack and even Bob shouldn't written songs with the Eagles.

But than again. I went on Wikipedia and JD didn't even write a song on the One Of These Nights album, but was back for the HC album. I guess the OOTN album was strictly written by the Eagles and I can see why she said no outside writers.

NightMistBlue
02-14-2018, 11:02 AM
Didn't she write something Bernie almost quitting the band once or twice before he actually did?

Yes, she said he was on the verge for some time, but we knew that already.

What did you think of her peyote-induced vision of Bernie dying in a plane crash? That's what influenced him to arrive a day late for the start of a tour, and travel to several dates in a camper with Patti. It's easy to understand why the rest of the Eagles may have thought she wasn't so great to have around.

UndertheWire
02-16-2018, 03:22 PM
Jackson Browne kind of confirms the intention to write their own songs after OTB in an interview:

“We only want to write our own songs, and we just want to do our songs.” But it, you know, it was also—it was kind of an ambition. They knew that’s how you make money, as well. And if they were going to succeed, they were going to succeed with their own material. They demanded it of themselves, and the songs got really good. I thought the songs got—I mean, they’re so memorable and so—and they did continue to write with J. D.

https://www.thenation.com/article/eric-alterman-and-katrina-vanden-heuvel-interview-jackson-browne/

NightMistBlue
05-06-2019, 08:53 PM
I just finished reading Olivia Newton-John’s autobiography (in one sitting; sadly there’s not much content) and Glenn Frey gets a nice mention. When Olivia first moved to the U.S. circa 1972, she was living at the Sunset Marquis in Los Angeles. So was Glenn. They spent a pleasant afternoon together, talking mostly about their touring experiences. The next morning, he sent her a bouquet of roses with a card saying, “Welcome to America. Glenn Frey.” Sweet. She never saw him again, though they did share a manager many years later (not Irving).

New Kid In Town
05-07-2019, 12:08 AM
Wow - interesting ! Thanks NMB, learn something new all the time about the guys. I assume they had the same manager in the 80's when Irving was not Glenn's manager. I also assume that is an apartment complex in LA where Glenn was living.

NightMistBlue
05-07-2019, 11:27 AM
No, the Sunset Marquis is a hotel. I seem to recall it had a rowdy reputation, but Olivia seemed fine with it. She was young and scared to be so far from home and one night she heard gunfire from outside.

OT: I couldn't believe she didn't write about Andy Gibb and/or the Bee Gees. She only mentions John Denver in passing (they did a fine duet on "Fly Away").

Delilah
05-07-2019, 11:59 AM
I just finished reading Olivia Newton-John’s autobiography (in one sitting; sadly there’s not much content) and Glenn Frey gets a nice mention. When Olivia first moved to the U.S. circa 1972, she was living at the Sunset Marquis in Los Angeles. So was Glenn. They spent a pleasant afternoon together, talking mostly about their touring experiences. The next morning, he sent her a bouquet of roses with a card saying, “Welcome to America. Glenn Frey.” Sweet. She never saw him again, though they did share a manager many years later (not Irving).

Thanks for sharing this NMB. Glenn was a sweetheart for sending her flowers. I wonder what he thought when she became big in country music then a mega-star thanks to Grease.

The Sunset Marquis has a lot of history with rock musicians. If the walls could talk...lol.

Brooke
05-07-2019, 01:31 PM
Cool! That was so sweet of Glenn! I'm kinda surprised there wasn't more to the story! :wink:

05-07-2019, 07:47 PM
Yep - Glenn was kind and thoughtful even in his younger days. Olivia's story just validates similar stories told by others. Thanks for sharing, NMB.

New Kid In Town
05-08-2019, 06:49 AM
No, the Sunset Marquis is a hotel. I seem to recall it had a rowdy reputation, but Olivia seemed fine with it. She was young and scared to be so far from home and one night she heard gunfire from outside.

OT: I couldn't believe she didn't write about Andy Gibb and/or the Bee Gees. She only mentions John Denver in passing (they did a fine duet on "Fly Away").

Thank You NMB ! That really was sweet of Glenn. Obviously, I have never heard of the place-lol ! I am surprised he was living at a hotel. I guess it was cheaper then renting an apartment. I know in those early Eagles days they made very little money.
And so true - boy if those walls could talk.

Kind of strange about her not discussing her relationship with Andy Gibb. He seemed like a sweet guy who was over whelmed with his celebrity status. And, his coke problem was through the roof. What years did Livi date him ? Kind of classy she did not spill the beans on all the people she dated. However, sure sounds like it made it a boring book.

NightMistBlue
05-08-2019, 09:09 AM
Oh, she didn't date Andy, AFAIK; sorry if my post was misleading. They sang two wonderful duets together "I Can't Help It" and "Rest Your Love on Me Awhile" (written by Andy's brothers) and performed on tv specials together. They seemed to have a wonderful musical chemistry. Olivia recorded a fantastic version of the Bee Gees song "Come On Over" and Barry described her as a friend of the family.

I'm just surprised she didn't discuss more of her musical endeavors. The book was focused more on her health issues (which are serious, not downplaying that at all).

She was probably also being respectful of other people's privacy. She speaks movingly about her friendship with and admiration of Karen Carpenter but is careful not to over-share sensitive information.

sodascouts
05-08-2019, 10:50 AM

Oh, how lovely! Thank you for sharing this tidbit.

CAinOH
06-02-2020, 07:58 AM
There's a new book out by Bob Thompson called Last Encore: My Time With Glenn Frey, The Eagles, and Other Hit Artists. From the Amazon blurb:

Bobby "Norton" Thompson left New Jersey in 1969 with $30 and a one way plane ticket to LA .To make a living, he hired out as a "roadie" for several hit bands in the 1970's before landing a plum gig with the Eagles as Glenn Frey's guitar tech. More than a guitar tech for Glenn both on tour and off, he was a good friend, a close confidant, and at Glenn's side on all his projects on records, TV, film, and solo artist tours, as well as the legendary Eagles band tours. And... he was a survivor of the Third Encore parties after the Eagles shows.The cast of Nortons life story includes wild and interesting characters like "Chainsaw Joe, "Balloon," Frankie The Blade," and the "teen King." HIs stories offer more than glimpses into the roadie and rock n roll lifestyle. They actually take the reader there day to day. Eventually Norton made his way through rock n roll to become a rock entrepreneur, owning two of the biggest rehearsal complexes in the world, one in LA, the other in Nashville with his business partner Glenn Frey that will set he and his family up for the rest of their lives. Norton's is a success story that began with $30 and a plane ticket, came to fruition on 10 acres in Tennessee, and ended up full circle at the Hollywood eulogy and last encore for his friend, boss, and mentor, Glenn Frey.

I haven't gotten it yet (but will), thought y'all might be interested.

https://smile.amazon.com/Last-Encore-Glenn-Eagles-Artists/dp/B0891F71RG/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=last+encore&qid=1591098905&sr=8-1

UndertheWire
06-02-2020, 10:58 AM
The kindle edition is quite cheap, so I'll give it a go. Thanks.

Delilah
06-02-2020, 02:09 PM
Looks like it’s gotten some really good reviews although one is particularly scathing. :stunned:

Thanks, CAinOH, it does sound interesting.

CAinOH
06-02-2020, 02:43 PM
Looks like it’s gotten some really good reviews although one is particularly scathing. :stunned:

That particular one was... uh... interesting, don't you think?

UndertheWire
06-02-2020, 04:48 PM
I'm 61% of the way through and it's an easy and fairly entertaining read (and worth the price of the Kindle download). The descriptions of life as a roadie make me think of the Roadies TV series. The book was written friend who would get "Norton" telling stories and then write them up so it jumps around a bit and there is some repetition but it works because it's like you are there listening to him. He became Glenn's guy after saving Glenn from falling off the stage one night. Not surprisingly, it has a lot more about Glenn than the other band members.

NightMistBlue
06-03-2020, 11:53 AM
I'm getting the sense that it's not a tale of debauchery and excess, more of a "day in the life" sort of book?

sodascouts
06-03-2020, 05:27 PM
Sounds interesting. I’m off to purchase it!

sodascouts
06-03-2020, 05:29 PM

um, yeah...

Delilah
06-03-2020, 07:14 PM

ha ha, that one was less a book review and more of a personal assessment of the author.

CAinOH
06-04-2020, 08:24 AM
um, yeah...

ha ha, that one was less a book review and more of a personal assessment of the author.

I hope it was cathartic for her, did her some good.

UndertheWire
06-04-2020, 11:39 AM
I'm getting the sense that it's not a tale of debauchery and excess, more of a "day in the life" sort of book?

More a series of anecdotes and little in the way of debauchery and excess. There are a few references to the white powder and gambling and we also learn Glenn's signature dish when wooing a lady.

Norton started working for the band in 1980 (or possibly 1979, it's hard to tell) but worked for Glenn for the next decade before setting up Soundtrack (with Glenn as partner). Obviously, he liked (and owed a lot to) Glenn, Don was OK as a boss and could be a lot of fun, Timothy was no trouble, everyone loved Joe but Felder not so much.

The biggest problem with this kind of memoir is that they are written decades later when memories aren't as sharp as they used to be. What a pity that no one kept a diary.

06-07-2020, 10:40 AM
I should receive my copy of the book early this week. Hope I learn some new stuff. And, as for the 'reviewer', I hope it did her some good to air her dirty laundry. :wink: :grin:

New Kid In Town
06-07-2020, 12:48 PM
Wow - that woman gave some "review" ! Hopefully they will be able to make amends.
I think I will also order the book.

CAinOH
06-13-2020, 02:58 PM
There's a new book out by Bob Thompson called Last Encore: My Time With Glenn Frey, The Eagles, and Other Hit Artists. From the Amazon blurb:

I haven't gotten it yet (but will), thought y'all might be interested.

https://smile.amazon.com/Last-Encore-Glenn-Eagles-Artists/dp/B0891F71RG/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=last+encore&qid=1591098905&sr=8-1

Quoting my own quote because... I got this book for my birthday! :D

UndertheWire
06-14-2020, 06:01 AM
Quoting my own quote because... I got this book for my birthday! :D

Congratulations. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of it.

I didn't learn anything earth-shattering but instead it confirmed/enhanced my impression of Glenn's quirks and personality. A few of the stories and comments are really funny.

New Kid In Town
06-14-2020, 11:49 AM
I am supposed to get my book today. I am looking forward to reading it.

FreyFollower
06-23-2020, 11:21 PM
What are your thoughts on the book, NKIT?

UndertheWire
06-27-2020, 12:18 PM
Here are some quotes from the "Last Encore" book.

Glenn took everything very seriously, sometimes way too seriously. But I knew him well in the many years I worked for him. The good side of Glenn far outweighed the bad, and sometimes with family you just have to take your lumps in stride and move on.

We on the crew had always heard that Felder was never happy. There were selfish attitudes and behaviors we got from him towards us that seemed to back up the stories. He wasn't the crews favorite Eagle...

I'd never known Timothy to want a change of strings on his bass. But I was responsible for his set-up and spare bass as well. Timothy was easy. The only thing I had to do for Timothy was to make sure his wife off in the wings had a cigarette.

...when it came to band pranks, Henley could be as much fun as any of the other band members...

[Glenn]... would reward you for a job well done, or a show of loyalty. Above all Glenn was a loyal guy and didn't hesitate to reciprocate. But if Glenn didn't like you or you screwed up something for him he'd throw his favorite hockey term at you and you'd be "off the ice" in the penalty box, and you'd have to earn your way back in.

Arrogance can be rampant in a rock n roll band. Others, like the Eagles, while they demanded our best, were not like that. They got it and appreciated the work we did. They showed it in many different ways, like the bonus I got for "nice catch", the food and beverages they brought in for rehearsals, the decent hot meals in the contract rider, and the per diem and paychecks we received on time, every time. We felt appreciated by the band members, all but one that is. Overall my time with the Eagles was a pleasure.

One point of contention between Frey and Felder was that Glenn occasionally came up with parts that his fingers just couldn't play. While Glenn was the consummate creator, Felder was the consummate player. Everyone on the stage conceded the fact that technically "Fingers" Felder was the best musician on stage. But Glenn could come up with great guitar parts his fingers couldn't deliver.

Instead of taking Glenn's suggestions in stride Felder's ego was easily bruised. In his book... he hinted at the fact that he was always hesitant to present songs to Frey and Henley... for fear of being shot down... That might intimidate an insecure person.

Of course, "Norton" was Glenn's guy and has a bias, but he also paints a very human picture of the man including flaws.

06-27-2020, 01:05 PM
Thanks for that, UTW. I finished reading the book, too. Overall, it was a fun, entertaining, and easy read. Not a lot of anything new, but it was an interesting and believable take from an insider. There were a few stories in it that I had never heard before though. One that stands out is his account of how Glenn and Cindy connected at the Livin' Right' video shoot. According to Norton, Glenn wanted a massage, and his regular therapist was out of town. Among other things, Cindy was apparently a skilled massage therapist, so Norton called her and arranged an appointment for Glenn. Apparently, it went well. ;-) He also gives some interesting personal accounts about Glenn and Cindy's engagement and wedding.

I was amused about the hockey reference and definitely find that as believable. Glenn once told Soda, PLS, and myself about someone who he said was "in my penalty box for life".

There were a couple of things that I found a bit annoying - first of all, my book was printed in very low quality. Also, throughout the book, Norton talks about him being with the Eagles during their heyday - the 80's. Sorry, dude, but the Eagles of the 80's lasted 6 months. My guess based on other references in the book is that he was with the band during The Long Run tour, and then, after the break up, Glenn kept him on retainer as a personal assistant.

Overall - it is a must read for Eagles, and, especially, Glenn fans.

UndertheWire
06-27-2020, 01:24 PM
I was entertained by the idea that Glenn didn't want to be recognised buying underwear.

New Kid In Town
06-30-2020, 07:53 AM
What are your thoughts on the book, NKIT?

FF - I enjoyed the book - it was an easy read. As Dreamer and UTW have said, I did not learn a lot of new information. Like Dreamer said, it gave info on Glenn's engagement and wedding to Cindy that I did not know about. I thought it was interesting that the road crew felt Don F. was a complainer and the least liked of all the guys. Dreamer, I have to agree about the 80's heyday, It was the 70's not the 80's - that kind of annoyed me too. I also figured he worked on the Long Run Tour. His ID badge on the cover of the book shows him wearing a "The Long One" t-shirt. UTW - I thought the underwear comment was funny too.

I was also struck by the fact that after Norton sold the business he went 50/50 with Glenn, they seemed to loose contact with each other. Kind of "Out of Sight Out of Mind" . Also, he apparently did not like Irving at all. Also, I did not think Tim was married at that time but only dating his wife. He does not spill any beans on the guys and reveal any real personal info on them.

UndertheWire
06-30-2020, 11:18 AM
Norton's time with the Eagles has to have been 1980 or possibly 1979-80 and probably was months rather than years. When his collaborator referred to "mild dementia" in the introduction, I was a little concerned because who wants to read the memoir of someone with memory loss? So I wasn't expecting perfect recall, just some stories and an overall impression and in that respect, it was fine. If he'd done this twenty years ago, it would have been better. What we really need is someone who took copious notes and keeps everything, like Cameron Crowe.

06-30-2020, 04:35 PM
Very true, UTW.

chaim
07-04-2020, 06:14 AM
"Reciprocate". Had to look that one up.

chaim
07-11-2020, 03:28 PM
I wonder which guitar parts played by Felder were something "Glenn' fingers just couldn't play". Eagles songs don't have that challenging guitar parts in the first place in terms of notes (perhaps Glenn just couldn't make them sound good?) and the Don't Give Up intro didn't seem to be too hard for Glenn's fingers.

WalshFan88
07-11-2020, 05:24 PM
Glenn's warm personality and his loyalty was admirable, as was the fact he wouldn't let you get away with letting him down or disrespect him. In other words, he reciprocated and wouldn't let you walk over him.

I'm not surprised at all about Felder and his constant woe-is-me whining. It would wane on anybody. It was interesting though to hear it from the road crew! Just goes to show you that Glenn wasn't wrong nor was he in the wrong for getting rid of him. No one liked that stuff. It was good to hear that it wasn't just "The Gods" that got tired of it or had a problem. I'd wager to bet that Walsh and Schmit got tired of it too.

I am surprised though about Glenn's guitar parts he would create that he supposedly couldn't play. I'm with Chaim all the way on this. Glenn was an awesome and catastrophically underrated guitarist!

NightMistBlue
07-11-2020, 06:52 PM
Thank you UndertheWire, Dreamer and New Kid for sharing your thoughts on the book. Does Thompson mention Randy? Don H and Glenn contributed vocals to Randy’s 1980 “One More Song” album. And I wondered maybe if the band or Irving talked about him.

New Kid In Town
07-12-2020, 08:54 AM
Thank you UndertheWire, Dreamer and New Kid for sharing your thoughts on the book. Does Thompson mention Randy? Don H and Glenn contributed vocals to Randy’s 1980 “One More Song” album. And I wondered maybe if the band or Irving talked about him.

NMB - I don't remember him saying anything about Randy. He did not join the road crew until the LR Tour.

07-12-2020, 10:21 AM
I don't recall any specific mentions of Randy either, NMB. If there was, it was probably in the context of him being an original member.

And re: Glenn creating guitar parts he couldn't play, I would question that as well. Of course, it's not impossible, but, I find it more likely that he created parts that he thought were well-suited for other band members to play live e.g. I Can't Tell You Why. As WF said, Glenn was an underrated guitarist, but his RA limited him in his later years.

Elle81
10-22-2020, 02:12 AM
So a few weeks ago i had rented a book out from the library entitled "Rock Star Babylon" by Jon Holmes. It's all about rock stars behaving badly. I honestly wasn't expecting any Eagles stories, I just got it because it sounded funny and interesting. But there I was flipping through the book, seeing stories about the Led Zeppelin mudshark episode, Nikki Sixx and a groupie, Ozzy and a bat. All of a sudden a name caught my eye, Felder! I nearly dropped the book and screamed out "What?!" There was only one chapter on them and it was called "Where Eagles fear to tread" I was thinking "what kind of shit could they possibly have on -" and then it hit me. They're talking about the whole incident where Felder and Glenn almost came to blows right on stage. Didn't go into great detail about it, but it did say that ever since then, the band members each have a designated piece of carpet that they stand on, so they're a safe distance from each other. Ouch.

New Kid In Town
10-23-2020, 11:08 PM
I don't know about this story...... I never saw carpet on the stage where they stood when I saw them in concert.

Elle81
10-23-2020, 11:16 PM
I don't know about this story...... I never saw carpet on the stage where they stood when I saw them in concert.
It's from some comedy writer, so I doubt that part is real. But just the thought of it is a bit cringeworthy. I just mentioned the book because it surprised me to see a story about the guys in it.

Glennsallnighter
10-24-2020, 03:39 PM
I love your avatar Elle - I have that slogan on a t-shirt so true!

Elle81
10-24-2020, 03:50 PM
I love your avatar Elle - I have that slogan on a t-shirt so true!
Thanks! I'll probably keep it for a while, because it took me what seemed like forever to get it on here. :D

Scamp
10-27-2020, 06:32 AM
I wonder which guitar parts played by Felder were something "Glenn' fingers just couldn't play". Eagles songs don't have that challenging guitar parts in the first place in terms of notes (perhaps Glenn just couldn't make them sound good?) and the Don't Give Up intro didn't seem to be too hard for Glenn's fingers.
I just read that in the book.
"Everyone on the stage conceded the fact that technically "Fingers" Felder was the best musician on the stage. But Glenn could come up with great guitar parts his fingers couldn't deliver."
The way the line reads it's Felder's fingers that couldn't deliver not Glenn's. Note the word "But" at the start of the next line.

Scamp
10-27-2020, 07:09 AM
Friends sent me a book for my birthday, just got it Saturday. Haven't read it yet but scanned through it
"The Eagles: Take it to the Limit" by Ben Fong-Torre formerly Rolling Stone magazine It's a hard cover and really nice good quality. Lots of pictures, some I've seen before and some new ones. Looks like it's covering from the old line up to the new one today. Hope to get started on it today.

Elle81
10-28-2020, 04:58 PM
Friends sent me a book for my birthday, just got it Saturday. Haven't read it yet but scanned through it
"The Eagles: Take it to the Limit" by Ben Fong-Torre formerly Rolling Stone magazine It's a hard cover and really nice good quality. Lots of pictures, some I've seen before and some new ones. Looks like it's covering from the old line up to the new one today. Hope to get started on it today.

Nice! That's one of the books that I've been wanting to read. Please let me know if it's worth getting. :grin:

UndertheWire
10-29-2020, 06:11 AM
It looks like this an update of his 2011 book, "Taking it to the Limit". I remember that as having nice pictures. It would be interesting to know what has changed.

Scamp
10-30-2020, 08:19 AM
I think it is an updated book as I saw the same publishing company for both books. Looked on Amazon, first book was $149...Guess I won't buy it. LOL Got a couple others too for birthday. I guess my friends think alike Now I got something to read instead of just watching tv.

10-31-2020, 11:49 AM
I just read that in the book.
"Everyone on the stage conceded the fact that technically "Fingers" Felder was the best musician on the stage. But Glenn could come up with great guitar parts his fingers couldn't deliver."
The way the line reads it's Felder's fingers that couldn't deliver not Glenn's. Note the word "But" at the start of the next line.

Scamp - if you are quoting directly from the book, I think you may be right that the writer is saying that Glenn came up with guitar parts that Felder's fingers couldn't deliver. It makes sense because there are various accounts about times such as ICTYW and TALA when Glenn was able to create a better recorded version than either Felder or Joe, but he didn't perform the part live. I doubt if there are any Eagles songs that any of the guitar players couldn't actually play - it was just a matter of who played the best or preferred version on the record.

10-31-2020, 11:59 AM
Nice! That's one of the books that I've been wanting to read. Please let me know if it's worth getting. :grin:

Elle - If you want to get some opinions on books about the band, most of them are in this thread. It's a long thread, so if you want, you can search the thread for a particular book e.g. search the word 'limit' to bring up posts that have that word. Keep in mind, there are two different books with 'limit' in the title - the one referenced here by Ben Fong-Torres named 'Take It to the Limit' and another one by Marc Eliot name 'To the Limit'.

Elle81
10-31-2020, 05:14 PM
Elle - If you want to get some opinions on books about the band, most of them are in this thread. It's a long thread, so if you want, you can search the thread for a particular book e.g. search the word 'limit' to bring up posts that have that word. Keep in mind, there are two different books with 'limit' in the title - the one referenced here by Ben Fong-Torres named 'Take It to the Limit' and another one by Marc Eliot name 'To the Limit'.
Thanks, dreamer. I'll check out the thread. :grin:

Scamp
11-07-2020, 09:19 AM
Scamp - if you are quoting directly from the book, I think you may be right that the writer is saying that Glenn came up with guitar parts that Felder's fingers couldn't deliver. It makes sense because there are various accounts about times such as ICTYW and TALA when Glenn was able to create a better recorded version than either Felder or Joe, but he didn't perform the part live. I doubt if there are any Eagles songs that any of the guitar players couldn't actually play - it was just a matter of who played the best or preferred version on the record.
Yes I was quoting from the book. Also if you noticed Felder and now Smith, play a lot of the solo parts because Joe plays the acoustic guitar, especially 12 string, on a lot of the songs. Also he plays the organ on a couple of them. That was a plus for getting Joe in the band. In fact when Joe first started with the Eagles he played keyboard on some songs and on albums, like Long Road he played a lot of piano and keyboard besides the organ instead of guitar.
One thing Glenn like about Joe was Felder wrote songs for guitar and Glenn and Don were supposed to come up with the lyrics and how to work them into the song. With Joe they could take the lyrics and maybe an idea for how they wanted the song to go and he could come up with guitar parts to go with the lyrics. He is very good at that. Glenn was a good guitar player but Joe could at that little extra kick that Glenn liked.

Scamp
11-07-2020, 09:39 AM
I have a few books about the Eagles. When reading them I find remembering who wrote it and that the book is their point of view on what went on makes it more enjoyable to me. Even Kristen's book, she was as high as Joe most of the time. In the early days of the Eagles they all were high, drinking, partying and drugs, so it can really make some differences in what they remember. I only saying this because as I've read post on this thread, sometimes people get mad at what someone printed about their favorite Eagle or the Eagles in general. Also some don't want to read some books because of the same reasons. I say take the book and read it, take it for what it is, just someone's opinion. Most of the books I've found to be very entertaining, even funny at times. They all have lots of information about the Eagles from different points of view. Besides, I'm getting tired of sitting home all day watching tv. LOL It's nice to have another form of entertainment.
Read them and enjoy them. Take what you want from them and disregard the rest if you want.
Peace and Love.

Elle81
08-10-2021, 12:37 AM
So I decided today to go and try to find the Life magazine Eagles special edition. Sadly, I went to two Barnes and Noble stores but was unable to find it. So, I'll just order it off of Amazon. But I did find "Eagles: Taking it to the limit" by Ben Fong-Torres, which caused me to emit high pitched velociraptor sounds, much to the dismay of my fellow bibliophiles. :rofl:
It was under thirty dollars, so of course I bought it, along with another Led Zep book to add to my rock band book collection. The book has a pretty decent narrative and lot of really great pictures of the guys and their famous friends that makes it so worth the money. It was published in 2020, so it talks about Glenn's passing, which made me cry. It also featured a picture of Deacon, who is absolutely adorable. I highly recommend this book.

KingWalsh
08-10-2021, 03:59 AM
In case you didn’t know, Openlibrary.org, which is free, just make an account, has To The Limit/Untold Story of the Eagles. By Marc Eliot. I’m reading that online, now that the kids are older I actually have time to read again. I’d rather have the print version, but it’s cool anyways, and free is always good lol.

Elle81
08-10-2021, 11:22 AM
That's awesome. I too like actual paper books, but free is always good! I'll have to check that out.

New Kid In Town
08-12-2021, 07:11 AM
Scamp - That BFT book came out years ago. You are reading an updated version. The Eliott book has lots of mistakes. His research on the music business was good - not so on facts about the guys. Plus he was sued by Don H. when he did his updated version.

Scamp
08-12-2021, 09:33 AM
New Kid
I have a lot of different books on the LA Rock scene. They all have a different take on the same time. When I read them i keep in mind it's one person's view and as an author and some just put in their books what will sell their book.
I used to go to the Troubadour and the Whiskey Ago Ago during that time. I saw Glenn and JD at the Troubadour, Don when he was in Shilo at the Whiskey, Joe at the Whiskey, Linda at the Troubadour, CSN, Jackson, Joni and so many more good singers who never really made it. It was a good time for music. A good time for drinking too. LOL
Sometimes when I'm reading something it's like I remember that. It was a great time. But also so many good people are no longer with us because of things that went on in that time.