PDA

View Full Version : Glenn in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

UndertheWire
05-14-2015, 11:48 AM
Here he is:
http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/marcus-mumford-attends-the-washington-capitals-vs-new-york-news-photo/473250908

The young man beside him has a Frey-like expression, so is there any chance that could be Deacon? (ETA: another view here (http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/marcus-mumford-and-guest-attend-the-washington-capitals-vs-news-photo/473250914)).

There's someone who looks like Irving Azoff sitting in front of Donald Trump.

And on a shallow note, Liam Neeson is looking pretty good.

Brooke
05-14-2015, 01:17 PM
It sure resembles Deacon (and Glenn) to me!

And Glenn's hair looks really gray there!

sodascouts
05-14-2015, 03:32 PM
I think so, too. He must be 22 or something now! Dang, time flies!

GlennLover
05-14-2015, 04:19 PM
I think that itis him as well. He would be 22.

Freypower
05-14-2015, 06:28 PM
It looked like Deacon to me. What a shame there were so many photos of Donald Trump & one of Glenn. And I don't think the man in front of Trump is Irving. The glasses didn't look right.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-14-2015, 07:04 PM
I don't think it's Irving, either, and yes, it is disappointing how many pictures there are of Trump. There's even more of him on WireImage. Bleck.

Ive always been a dreamer
05-14-2015, 07:11 PM
I think that is probably Deacon too. And I agree with FP - that doesn't look like Irving to me either in front of Donald Trump.

Brooke
05-15-2015, 09:23 AM
I really think it IS Irving. If you keep scrolling down there are a few that look like him to me. :shrug:

UndertheWire
05-16-2015, 12:24 PM
Here's a brief mention in a piece about interviewing famous people:

The first thing to know is that famous people are usually very ordinary. They often (although not always) have a single marketable talent, are mostly self-obsessed and, probably as a consequence of their sheltered lives, they are largely ill-informed.
There are, of course, celebrities who can speak intelligently about something other than themselves. It’s been my privilege to have had some fascinating conversations with Live Aid organiser Bob Geldof about the craft of journalism, Glenn Frey of The Eagles about parenthood, left-leaning singer-songwriter Billy Bragg about pop and politics, and a pre-meltdown Mel Gibson about Shakespeare.
http://www.thenational.ae/opinion/comment/fame-is-often-fleeting-but-well-always-have-paris

UndertheWire
05-20-2015, 06:38 AM
Glenn remembers being on Letterman: http://www.vulture.com/2015/05/conan-tina-fey-share-their-letterman-memories.html

VAisForEagleLovers
05-20-2015, 07:01 AM
Glenn remembers being on Letterman: http://www.vulture.com/2015/05/conan-tina-fey-share-their-letterman-memories.html

Funny!

GlennLover
05-20-2015, 10:57 AM

I think Glenn was very witty & very funny in his interview on Letterman. He sang Desperado that night. One of my favourite of Glenn's appearances.

UndertheWire
05-20-2015, 11:06 AM
Is that interview online anywhere?

GlennLover
05-20-2015, 11:17 AM
Is that interview online anywhere?

I haven't searched lately, but it has been a few years since I have seen it online. He talked about the Eagles' hi jinks on the road and living in Aspen. He played the piano on Desperado.

UndertheWire
05-20-2015, 03:16 PM
A big thank you to the ladies of Fastlane for posting Glenn's Letterman appearance.

Freypower
05-20-2015, 06:33 PM
I have screenshots of it if anyone is interested.

GlennLover
05-20-2015, 06:37 PM

I'm interested, FP! :nod:

AlreadyGone95
05-20-2015, 06:42 PM
Me too. Would love to see those screen shots.

Freypower
05-20-2015, 06:45 PM
I will put a couple of them in Frey Fever. I have quite a few of them.

sodascouts
05-20-2015, 08:15 PM

Cute!

I read somewhere that Glenn's affectionate shout out to Don on Letterman was what got them talking again for the first time since the breakup.

ETA: I see FP mentioned that already in another thread. Sorry for the redundancy.

Houston Baby
05-21-2015, 12:55 PM
Thank you UTW! Loved reading about Glenn's memory of his appearance on the Letterman show. I remember that I loved watching him play the piano on Desperado and also his shout out to Don. So sweet!

VAisForEagleLovers
05-21-2015, 06:17 PM
Interesting story based on the Pepsi commercial Glenn did with Don Johnson.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/danmeth/this-pepsi-ad-from-1986-inspired-a-short-story#.kwr380mMj

AlreadyGone95
05-22-2015, 12:01 AM
Ok, that's it. When I go grocery shopping Saturday, forget the Dr. pepper or Mountain Dew, I'm getting Pepsi. :cool: :grin: :soda:

That's the first time I've seen the commercial, and I like it! Glenn looks good even the cartoon that they drew!

sodascouts
05-24-2015, 01:46 PM
That story was a hoot! I love creative fans!

05-24-2015, 01:52 PM
Yep - I agree ... too cute!

UndertheWire
05-25-2015, 06:35 AM
I'm quoting a post from more than four years ago. It's about a 2 hour chat Glenn did with Robert Wuhl which unfortunately doesn't seem to be available anymore. Just as well that Soda did such a good writeup (and there are interesting comments from other people from around page 22 of this thread). I have a couple of questions, if anyone can remember back that far:
a) what was the "cowboy dream crap"?
b) how did Glenn deal with the money-split question?

OK - my thoughts!

- First off, as I've said before, I love how relaxed Glenn sounds, like he's in a great mood and having fun. When he has fun, we have fun. ;)

- The man obviously has an amazing memory. He kept rattling off names and dates and was able to discuss the catalog of any classic-rock musician they brought up (and they brought up a lot). This is good news for us if he ever decides to write a biography!

- Loved how much he talked about the Detroit / Linda / early days. Glenn rockin' the "Ramblin' Man" backing vocals. ;)

- Interesting that he talks about wanting to impress Neil Young in the early days, which Young was such a jerk to him later. You suck, Neil Young!

- He only thinks there are two or three Eagles songs that will stand the test of time? I wonder which ones? I guess HC and TIE are givens, but what else? I personally think that is a serious low-ball number. Probably just being modest.

- I thought the "Cowboy Dream crap" was funny too.

- Glenn is always praising Don Henley to the skies. He's so gracious.

- This is the first time I've heard Glenn talk about hiring Joe with an eye towards making them "a bigger concert attraction." The "rolling Joe out in a roadbox on stage" is hilarious. I love that he says Joe helps them "kick a$$."

- They opened for the Rolling Stones in 1975? Does he just mean for the festivals like Wembley?

- Wow, Glenn didn't shy away from the money split question. Smooth.

- LOL About Michael Jackson (RIP) wanting to buy a lot of his own albums to get Thriller ahead of Eagles: The Greatest Hits.

- Hotel California was only the 3rd biggest selling album of the year of its release. I get they were behind Fleetwood Mac's Rumours but Saturday Night Fever??

- Glenn says "Hotel California" has no fixed meaning because it is "a state of mind." Interesting.

- Eagles as an opening act were dissed by headliner Jethro Tull back in 1973! Again, I love hearing these early stories. (It reminds me of the Holland 1973 show where Glenn says something like "This next song, Witchy Woman, was a single off our last album, you may recognize it... at least, we hope you do....")

- White rock stars can't get old and fat! LOL! Glenn: "You know what helps us? The songs are still pretty good." Still, he has to know how lucky he is that he still looks so good.

- Glenn jokes about "You Belong to the City" sitting at number 2 for six weeks and how he's not bitter that it got edged out by Jefferson Starship's "We Built This City." Then, of course, they play a clip of the obviously inferior "We Built This City" as Glenn exclaims "There you have it, ladies and gentlemen!" So funny!

- I had never heard how Glenn got his Los Angeles Lakers floor seats in 1979 because they hired the guy who owned the LA Forum (and the Lakers) to promote the Eagles concert there. Now look at him! And I love that Glenn uses the word "fandom" ("That was the beginning of my Laker fandom.") That term was popularized by internet fan communities. He's with it!

- I love how reverently Glenn talks about the Lakers "Showtime" era games. "They had a run against the 76ers that was like a 49-9 run, that was just the most beautiful 20 minutes of fast break basketball that you ever saw..." He's so into it!

- I about died laughing when he referred to himself and Cindy (with RA and lupus, respectively) as the "auto-immune couple of Southern California." LOL! And yet he's so modest he doesn't even want to talk about how much he's done for Lupus LA. What a guy.

- So Glenn not buying into the Cleveland hockey team "Killed hockey in Cleveland!" That gave me a laugh.

- Glenn: "I'm doing the song in G minus" when referring to singing off-key. hehehe.

- Make a solo record. Yes. Please. (I know he was just making a vague reference to stuff an Eagle "could" do outside of the "mothership" of the Eagles band but still).

- I'm not surprised Glenn was with Henley at the Beverly Hills Cop movie premiere, especially since Azoff was the one who invited him. Remember that Glenn reached out to Don that year by playing "Desperado" on David Letterman and dedicating it to him.

- Glenn, regarding THIO: "They paid me a nominal fee- $15,000." Um. That's nominal in 1984? mmmkay. No performance royalty for soundtrack songs, eh? Yet he still says he finds it thrilling that it's played at sport events. That's adorable.

- The Eagles would rock the Superbowl but I can see why they might not be big on the whole medley thing.

- Glenn likes the Black-Eyed Peas! I like 'em too, although they have some big stinkers along with the good stuff. More surprisingly, he likes LADY GAGA! Oh my freaking gosh! "Wear whatever you want," he says, unfazed by Gaga's questionable fashion choices such as the raw meat dress. ;) "She's got some chops." He also says he likes Bruno Mars; I'll have to check him out. "Chord changes - what a concept." lol

- And Glenn explains why he's not doing Pebble Beach anymore. They didn't invite him back! BOGUS!!!!! Thank God I got to see him when I had the chance. That, and the events that later transpired as a result, were freaking highlights of my life. I'm not even kidding.

- Looks like Glenn might do some guest-announcing at a baseball game! Good deal!

- Hotel California, the musical? I love anything Eagles, but it will be weird to listen to Broadway singers do the vocals that can only be done justice by our guys. Still, I'm game. I'm just wondering if it will be quasi-autobiographical like Jersey Boys or completely fictional with the songs as a skeleton for the story like Mamma Mia. I would prefer the former myself but I imagine the latter is more likely.

This interview... and Glenn Frey... are made of awesome. :)

VAisForEagleLovers
05-25-2015, 07:36 AM
Sorry, UTW, I don't remember those bits. I could have sworn I had it downloaded, but I can't find it on my hard drive. I'll keep looking! The thing I always remember about the interview is Glenn picking the Jets over the Steelers in an upcoming playoff game.

Glenn's portion of the show was a lot longer than intended. Tony Dungy was supposed to be on the show, and he had travel delays, so Glenn covered for that, which was great for us.

UndertheWire
05-25-2015, 07:42 AM
Thanks for looking. It was obviously a very good chat for fans as the comments went on for several pages.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-25-2015, 07:45 AM
I'll keep searching. The problem is that for a while there he did so many interviews and they ended up with obscure names. At the time I knew what they were, but now, not so much.

sodascouts
05-25-2015, 11:04 AM
My memory isn't the greatest, but I believe the "Cowboy Dream crap" was about Desperado and the guys imagining that they, as rock stars outside the mainstream, were "outlaws."

The money split was dealt with using a sports analogy: star players get more money, not everyone can be the quarterback, and Felder couldn't accept that.

Feel free to correct me if I'm remembering wrong, guys!

05-25-2015, 11:10 AM
I can't remember the details of those parts either, UTW and I don't have it downloaded, but maybe someone here does.

In general, I believe the 'cowboy dream crap' was just a passing reference to the band's early days. As far as the 'money-split' reference, I think Wuhl asked a direct question about Felder's discontent with the '94 (and beyond) money split and, while I can't remember Glenn's exact answer, he addressed it very directly and diplomatically. I know this isn't a lot of help, but maybe some others can recall more details.

ETA: I didn't realize Soda had responded before I posted, but I agree with her about the sports analogy Glenn made with regard to the money split.

UndertheWire
05-25-2015, 11:49 AM
Thanks for trying to answer my questions. I enjoyed Soda's summary although it doesn't quite make up for the "File not found"!

GlennLover
05-25-2015, 11:35 PM
I agree with Soda's post.

Brooke
05-26-2015, 01:18 PM
Cool commercial!

VAisForEagleLovers
05-28-2015, 09:57 PM
A video of Glenn leaving a restaurant, looking great, of course...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3txq6r4ydts

AlreadyGone95
05-28-2015, 10:08 PM
A video of Glenn leaving a restaurant, looking great, of course...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3txq6r4ydts

While I'm not fan of the people who film celebs like this, I have to agree that Glenn does look great! :thumbsup:

VAisForEagleLovers
05-28-2015, 10:41 PM
I agree, AG95. I hesitated putting it on here, to be honest, but some quick research said this restaurant is popular with celebrities and those who go seem to know they'll get a picture taken or video shot, so I figured why deprive ourselves of Mr. HS&G.

sodascouts
05-28-2015, 10:55 PM
Yeah, it's apparently known as a celebrity hangout and paparazzi are practically stationed there. Glenn sees the guy filming him and doesn't look in the least bit surprised.

By the way, I checked out the menu. $20 for a hamburger!!! An additional $8 for fries!!! Ah, Hollywood.

AlreadyGone95
05-29-2015, 12:06 AM
Yeah, it's apparently known as a celebrity hangout and paparazzi are practically stationed there. Glenn sees the guy filming him and doesn't look in the least bit surprised.

By the way, I checked out the menu. $20 for a hamburger!!! An additional $8 for fries!!! Ah, Hollywood.

Ah, I didn't know that.
$20 for a frickin hamburger? :shock: I can get a nice ribeye steak, fries, salad, and a drink at my favorite local restaurant for that much and still have $3 left over! There just ain't no way I could pay that much even if Glenn was my waiter. What kind of beef are they serving there? Golden or platinum? :hilarious:

sodascouts
05-29-2015, 01:33 AM
OK, my bad, I just looked it up and the fries come with the burger. You don't have to pay extra for 'em. Does that make it less painful? lol

To be fair, they have some other stuff on that menu that looks pretty good. If Glenn took me there, I wouldn't complain... as long as he picked up the check. ;)

UndertheWire
05-29-2015, 04:42 AM
That's about what we'd pay for a burger in a pub around here.

The important question - what kind of car is he driving?

VAisForEagleLovers
05-29-2015, 05:57 AM
That's about what we'd pay for a burger in a pub around here.

The important question - what kind of car is he driving?

It's a Bentley, but I don't know which model.

L101
05-29-2015, 06:12 AM
Love the car! ! It suits Glenns image - sporty but sophisticated :grin:
But he's not wearing a seat belt, hopefully he put it on when he was away from the media !! :eyebrow:

Is it mandatory to use a seatbelt in the US ? It is in Europe which is why it looks so weird to see him driving without one on. ......

UndertheWire
05-29-2015, 06:43 AM
Probably a Bentley GT continental convertible. It seems he still loves his cars.

AlreadyGone95
05-29-2015, 08:40 AM
Love the car! ! It suits Glenns image - sporty but sophisticated :grin:
But he's not wearing a seat belt, hopefully he put it on when he was away from the media !! :eyebrow:

Is it mandatory to use a seatbelt in the US ? It is in Europe which is why it looks so weird to see him driving without one on. ......

I believe that it is mandatory in all 50 states. It definitely is required here in Georgia. It used to be that an adult passenger of a truck didn't have to wear one,but I think that's changed. The only exception is farmers.

However, I know people who refuse to wear a seat belt and would prefer to just pay the fine.

GlennLover
05-29-2015, 10:12 AM
The clip first reminded me of the it in the HotE doc which shows Glenn driving with the windows open & his hair blowing in the breeze. Then, the shot of him pulling away brought to mind the part in the Soul Searchin' video where he decides to turn his car around & take the day off work.

Brooke
05-29-2015, 10:15 AM
Nice car and a good looking man! :thumbsup:

Freypower
05-29-2015, 06:37 PM
The Bentley is beautiful. :smokin:

05-31-2015, 11:24 AM
When we were at The Roxy to see Glenn play with his son Deacon's charity benefit, Glenn was pulled up driving a black Mercedes. I wonder if he still has that as well. I do like that Bentley.

UndertheWire
05-31-2015, 11:32 AM
I was wondering if he owns the Bentley or maybe just borrowed/rented it while he was in LA. I know he can afford it, but if he's living in NY for most of the year, it seems a shame to keep such a car just for the occasional visits.

AlreadyGone95
05-31-2015, 03:30 PM
I agree about the car, even though I usually don't like the fancier cars. I wonder how many different types of cars he owns?

VAisForEagleLovers
06-01-2015, 09:04 PM
Glenn gets a brief mention with some kudos for his words on songwriting...

http://www.americansongwriter.com/2015/06/writer-week-sonics/

sodascouts
06-02-2015, 12:09 AM
A bit of a misquote, but he got the sentiment right. Good to see Glenn get props!

VAisForEagleLovers
06-02-2015, 12:53 AM
I think Glenn did say it, but not exactly that way in the documentary. I've been trying to remember where, though. I'll try to listen to the Art of The Song interview again, maybe there. I'm tired, though, so I may be imagining things.

AlreadyGone95
06-02-2015, 01:55 AM
I think Glenn did say it, but not exactly that way in the documentary. I've been trying to remember where, though. I'll try to listen to the Art of The Song interview again, maybe there. I'm tired, though, so I may be imagining things.
Didn't he say it when he was talking about Bob Seger taking him under his wing?
IIRC, Bob was the first guy that Glenn knew that wrote his own songs. Glenn asked him about it and Bob told him to just write and write. Glenn then says "But Bob, what if they're bad?"... "Oh they're gonna be bad. You just have to keep writing until you write one that's good."

sodascouts
06-02-2015, 03:22 AM
I assumed the Seger part was the segment that the guy was referring to. That's why I said it was a bit of a misquote, but the sentiment was the same. He got the idea. :)

UndertheWire
06-02-2015, 05:17 AM
Well, Bob Seger was Glenn's producer at around the time he gave that advice.

AlreadyGone95
06-02-2015, 06:32 PM
I assumed the Seger part was the segment that the guy was referring to. That's why I said it was a bit of a misquote, but the sentiment was the same. He got the idea. :)

:nod: :thumbsup: Glenn got the credit he deserves and imo, that's what matters the most.

GlennLover
06-02-2015, 06:47 PM
Glenn has told that story many many times & he has always said that it was Bob Seger that gave him that advice. :)

UndertheWire
06-30-2015, 10:21 AM
I'm still playing catchup, so this is an interview from Jan 2013 with NZ Herald.. Glenn talks about the documentary and his After Hours tour.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=10859995

Well after bringing clarity to stories of corporate malfeasance and death in US military custody - as well as biographies of Jimi Hendrix and Hunter S. Thompson - Gibney would seem uniquely qualified to take on the story of the men behind Hotel California ...
"Yeah," laughs Frey," he's perfect for a revisionist our-version-of-the-truth history of the Eagles."
Gibney acted as producer on the film, bringing in Alison Elwood, his usual editor, to direct the film, a mammoth task of gathering contemporary interviews and archival footage. Frey sounds pleased with the result.
"We have a two-part DVD that we are really proud of. We are quite happy with it right now and it tells the truth. We don't dwell on anything but we don't hide anything either."My emphasis.

Also about his songwriting course:

"It was great experience for me. It's got me thinking like a songwriter again and it's got me anxious to write some new songs myself, just to see what I might be doing.I'm hoping that anxiety was productive.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-30-2015, 10:34 AM
I'm still playing catchup, so this is an interview from Jan 2013 with NZ Herald.. Glenn talks about the documentary and his After Hours tour.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=10859995

My emphasis.

Also about his songwriting course:

I'm hoping that anxiety was productive.

I've never made any secret that I love, love, love After Hours, and I'm so glad Glenn did that. However, new material from Glenn would be totally awesome.

AlreadyGone95
06-30-2015, 12:29 PM
I'll take any new (original) material that Glenn will give us. :)

UndertheWire
07-17-2015, 04:43 PM
I found a small reference in Joe Smith's "On the Record" in the interview with Olivia Newton John. She's talking about how she was advised to move to America if she wanted hits:

...I moved into the Sunset Marquis Hotel in West Hollywood. When I arrived to check in, there were a dozen red roses waiting at the desk for me. They were from Glenn Frey. The card said, "Welcome to America." I wasn't even sure who the Eagles were, but I've always had a soft spot for Glenn because it was such a nice thing of him to do. It's very hard, you're a stranger, you're from out of town, and you're not about to call someone up and say, "Excuse me."

AlreadyGone95
07-17-2015, 05:18 PM
Little tidbits like that make me like and respect Glenn more :).

VAisForEagleLovers
07-17-2015, 05:28 PM
He is such a sweetheart! What an incredibly nice thing to do. Me, I'd do such a thing if I thought of it, but I seldom think of things like that.

Houston Baby
07-17-2015, 06:14 PM
I agree, Glenn sounds like such a sweetheart! What a thoughtful gesture.:heart:

07-18-2015, 06:46 PM
What a sweetie! I love to hear the stories of the kind things that our guys do. They aren't publicize nearly as much as they should be so thanks for finding that, UTW.

Brooke
07-20-2015, 10:55 AM
That was really sweet of Glenn! I wonder how he knew about Olivia moving in?

sodascouts
07-20-2015, 11:06 AM
I was thinking the same thing - wonder how he knew she was there? Definitely a sweet and thoughtful thing to do.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-20-2015, 11:09 AM
You know there are a lot more instances of him being super sweet like this and aren't documented anywhere. No wonder we call him Sugar.

AlreadyGone95
07-20-2015, 11:15 AM
I agree. His sweet(sugar) side is much bigger than the steel side of him. I wish that we could hear more about his kind deeds, but "god likes a quiet giver".

GlennLover
07-21-2015, 07:21 PM
While I was reading the Olivia Newton-John story it reminded me of another of the same type of story that I had heard about Glenn, but I couldn't remember the details. While a was searching for an unrelated topic last week I came across a link to the story that I was thinking about!

This story was posted by Elizasong in the “Nice Story About Glenn Frey” thread on Dec 21, 2013:

I don't post often here but I thought this group would appreciate this story. I'm reading a book by Susan Hamilton called Hit Woman. Her claim to fame was she ran one of the most successful jingle companies around.

There is a chapter called "One of Those Nights". She tells a story of recording a beer commercial with Glenn Fry in the 80's. She is taken all over LA the first night she gets there at the insistence of the client and ends up in a undisclosed club with the group including Glenn. At one point she has a heart to heart conversation with him and he admits he's not interested in any of the pretty girls around them. He's more interested in a woman who's going to make him cinnamon toast in the morning, sit across from him with no make up on and ask him how his day went. And then he asked her "Do you make cinnamon toast by any chance?"

Her experience recording with him in the studio went very well. She proved to him that she knew was she was doing and he taught her some new helpful techniques on editing which he credited as learning from Don.

The last night she was there he took her out to Dan Tana's for dinner. As they were in the booth talking a strange look came over his face. He looked over her shoulder and said "what is that" pointing to a potted plant behind them. Tucked away in the potted plant was a wrapped package. the package was a large bottle of Joy perfume with a note that said "It was a joy to work with you. Glenn"

UtW added this:

What I liked about it was it was about making her feel better. I admit it, I went off to read the text (most of it's viewable through amazon's Look Inside feature) and the context makes it even sweeter.

She'd arrived late for dinner, straight from the airport and was feeling rumpled and dressed for the wrong climate. She was expecting a hard time from Glenn because a few years before she'd had a messy divorce from Elliot Scheiner (Glenn's co-producer) but that didn't happen. They end up in this exclusive nightclub and she's the only woman over forty and under 5'8". She confides in Glenn that she's feeling small and so he tells her what he's looking for in a woman which lifts her spirits and she starts to enjoy the evening. She says she began to realise what a kind man he is.

It's also both sweet and sad that at the time he was going through his own messy divorce and what he was looking for was companionship and home comforts. At least that worked out.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-27-2015, 12:10 PM
This author thinks Glenn should make a country album. I agree!!

http://www.wideopencountry.com/classic-rockers-might-actually-make-good-country-records/

AlreadyGone95
07-27-2015, 12:30 PM
:nod: I agree as well!

(Not too sure about Stevie Nicks, #3 on the list, doing country, though)

NightMistBlue
07-27-2015, 01:48 PM
Glenn would be killer doing a country album; he's got the perfect voice and persona for it.

Don't you think Glenn was putting the moves on Olivia with the roses? She was a cutiepie - still is.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-27-2015, 02:02 PM
It's possible he was, but he does things like that a lot. By the same token, while it didn't involve red roses, I've read many instances of him going out of his way to be nice to or otherwise welcome or compliment men.

NightMistBlue
07-27-2015, 02:08 PM
What a dollbaby. I'd make cinnamon toast for him anytime :)

I liked the NZ article as well, thank you. I hope his parents are still alive?

VAisForEagleLovers
07-27-2015, 02:31 PM
His father is, as far as I know. His mother passed in Sept. 2013.

UndertheWire
07-27-2015, 03:14 PM
I wondered about his motives with Olivia N-J, but even if it was a move, it was a thoughful one. That she remembered it so fondly shows that it wasn't typical of LA men.

AlreadyGone95
07-27-2015, 03:19 PM
Anybody know what year Olivia came to the states? I would think that if it was when Glenn was married or seriously dating someone, then it was just an act of kindness. (That's just speculation on my part though).

I know nothing about Olivia except that she did the song Let's Get Physical.

UndertheWire
07-27-2015, 03:22 PM
I looked that up after reading the quote and it was 1975. Glenn may have been unattached at the time. How he knew about her is what I want to know. Maybe when he was in London, he spent his Saturdays at home watching The Cliff Richard Show (a tame family variety show).

You've heard of a little movie from 1978 called "Grease"? (I confess to trying to achieve the final "Sandy" look but I ended up looking young, not vampish)

NightMistBlue
07-27-2015, 03:45 PM
[Sorry I posted this before reading UtW's message] I would think it would be 1973 or '74 - that's when she started having hits in the U.S. I love her early stuff! It's lots of fun and brings back good memories.

I would've thought she'd be too wholesome for Glenn though! I mean that was her image back in the day.

AlreadyGone95
07-27-2015, 03:46 PM
I looked that up after reading the quote and it was 1975. Glenn may have been unattached at the time. How he knew about her is what I want to know. Maybe when he was in London, he spent his Saturdays at home watching The Cliff Richard Show (a tame family variety show).

You've heard of a little movie from 1978 called "Grease"? (I confess to trying to achieve the final "Sandy" look but I ended up looking young, not vampish)

I've heard of the movie, but never watched it. I had to look it up to see who starred in it. 1975? That's a bit earlier than I thought. Glenn was still in his "playboy" period.

NightMistBlue
07-27-2015, 03:54 PM
I'm amazed that there is someone in the world who hasn't seen Grease. :) It's a classic!

UndertheWire
07-27-2015, 04:05 PM

http://www.wideopencountry.com/classic-rockers-might-actually-make-good-country-records/
I'm wishing for a Longbranch Pennywhistle reunion. Country, American Songbook, Everly Brothers - I don't care.

AlreadyGone95
07-27-2015, 04:13 PM
I'm amazed that there is someone in the world who hasn't seen Grease. :) It's a classic!

I've seen the previews on tv for it occasionally. It didn't seem like a movie that I'd enjoy watching, so I never have.

Freypower
07-27-2015, 07:05 PM

I don't think Glenn would appreciate the dismissive reference to 'piano music'. I think a country album would be too obvious and especially now would be seen as an imitation of Don.

On ONJ, a woman who I have never liked, Australian or not (she was born in Britain but grew up in Melbourne) my father knew her father briefly when Brin Newton-John was a professor at Newcastle University (that's Newcastle NSW where I grew up).

VAisForEagleLovers
07-30-2015, 08:05 PM
An odd blog about Glenn and YBTTC

http://www.scottamstadt.com/post/125469478228/glenn-frey-has-a-point

AlreadyGone95
07-31-2015, 12:24 AM
An odd blog about Glenn and YBTTC

http://www.scottamstadt.com/post/125469478228/glenn-frey-has-a-point

I agree with it being a bit odd, but I do think it's cool how music can affect us, by bringing back memories or describing a period of time during our lives.

NightMistBlue
07-31-2015, 09:30 AM
His father is, as far as I know. His mother passed in Sept. 2013.

Is Glenn's father Edward Frey his stepfather? In the Marc Eliot book IIRC the author says Glenn's biological father abandoned the family when Glenn was very young. I wonder if he ever made contact after Glenn became successful.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-31-2015, 10:25 AM
No idea, but I've never heard Glenn refer to Ed as his stepfather. I assume that in all the ways that are important, Glenn's father is Ed.

UndertheWire
07-31-2015, 10:33 AM
I read somewhere on this board that Glenn said he was aged three when Eddie and his mother married. If that's so, he's unlikely to remember any other father.

Eliot gives the impression that Glenn's mother was a single-parent when he was a teenager, but Glenn always refers to his "parents" so I think Eliot may just have missed the step-father aspect.

AlreadyGone95
07-31-2015, 11:14 AM
Didn't Glenn dedicate the song Working Man to Ed? Also, wasn't the song Strange Weather dedicated to both his and Cindy's parents? Because of that, Glenn must obviously respect Ed as his dad. Has Glenn ever mentioned anything about his biological father or that Ed isn't his biological father?

NightMistBlue
07-31-2015, 11:50 AM
Not that I'm aware of, not even when asked about the ancestry of the name Frey, which is not his birth surname.

Freypower
07-31-2015, 06:01 PM
In the Royal Oak bootleg from 2000 he mentions that his aunt & uncle are in the audience & that without them his mother wouldn't have met his real father. I can't remember which song he plays after this.

UndertheWire
08-05-2015, 09:26 AM
A nice mention in a musician's blog from 2010 where he played at a charity event with Glenn. It must have gone well because he also played on the After Hours tour.

The band and crew and staff are killer at their jobs and really a nice bunch of people as well, they made the job of coming in and covering the gig easy and fun, its hard to suck when everyone around you is doing their thing so well….and Glenn is……well….he’s Glenn Frey for chrissakes, he’s very cool and you know, those songs, and seriously, when he starts singing them it’s like “shit, that’s Glenn Frey singing that, and here I am”.
http://www.stillmusic.com/?m=201003

AlreadyGone95
08-06-2015, 07:53 PM
Got this in a Google alert. I believe that it's known that Glenn's favorite Eagles album is One of These Nights, though.

http://www.mprnews.org/story/2015/08/06/music

VAisForEagleLovers
08-06-2015, 08:10 PM
Got this in a Google alert. I believe that it's known that Glenn's favorite Eagles album is One of These Nights, though.

It's an old quote that was rehashed today, so yes, it is known! I have to say, when I first read this quote a long time ago, I was surprised that my favorite and the favorite of most of my friends agrees with Glenn. Although, he's saying his favorite song is OOTN, not necessarily the album is his favorite.

AlreadyGone95
08-06-2015, 08:28 PM
It's an old quote that was rehashed today, so yes, it is known! I have to say, when I first read this quote a long time ago, I was surprised that my favorite and the favorite of most of my friends agrees with Glenn. Although, he's saying his favorite song is OOTN, not necessarily the album is his favorite.

Oops, I didn't notice that. When I saw "lp" in the title, I automatically assumed that he was talking about the album, not the song. One of These Nights is definitely one of their best songs, for sure. It's in my top 15 Eagles songs.

VAisForEagleLovers
08-06-2015, 10:39 PM
I see now the title says he's saying his top LP is OOTN, but it's not what the quote says. I guess they're confused! Although for all I know, it's his favorite LP as well.

AlreadyGone95
08-06-2015, 11:40 PM
I see now the title says he's saying his top LP is OOTN, but it's not what the quote says. I guess they're confused! Although for all I know, it's his favorite LP as well.
I agree, they're confused!

I believe that on GFO, under the "Fun facts and trivia", Soda has OOTN listed as Glenn's favorite album.

GlennLover
08-07-2015, 09:42 AM
I have heard & read a number of times that OOTN is Glenn's favourite album as well.

08-08-2015, 03:22 PM
A nice mention in a musician's blog from 2010 where he played at a charity event with Glenn. It must have gone well because he also played on the After Hours tour.

http://www.stillmusic.com/?m=201003

Thanks for finding that UTW. Several of us met Wade a few years ago after some of Glenn's After Hours shows. He is a heck of a nice guy and was very sweet to us. I might also add he is a very talented musician and we really enjoyed his performances. I know there is some discussion and even quite a few pictures of him posted in some of Glenn's After Hours tour threads (probably the New Jersey, Pennsylvania, or Foxwood shows).

UndertheWire
08-08-2015, 03:27 PM
Since I posted that, I've been exploring the show reports and I saw the pictures of Wade, along with something about an upright base which he'd only acquired a few hours before playing. Great reports, except now I want to see a Glenn solo show even more.

VAisForEagleLovers
08-08-2015, 04:01 PM
Wade had some very nice things to say about Glenn as I recall.

Wade has also played in the Don Felder band.

MortSahlFan
08-09-2015, 01:42 PM

I saw a short interview on youtube of Glenn saying his two favorite songs were "One of These Nights" and "I Can't Tell You Why" though he says he loves Hotel California, but mentioned it wasn't a very fun time making the record/album

UndertheWire
08-10-2015, 12:49 PM
Are you thinking of the Bob Costas interview?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHPwHeTLLV0

MortSahlFan
08-10-2015, 05:38 PM

That's exactly it! Thanks!

AlreadyGone95
08-10-2015, 07:34 PM

Is that the full interview? It seems to me that there's some cut off at the beginning and end.

UndertheWire
08-26-2015, 03:50 PM
Back in 1986, Billboard published a sales report on activity after the Grammys were broadcast. Overall they seem to be saying that the Grammys made very little difference to sales. However,

What is funny that we're seeing an upsurge for Glenn Frey because of the Pepsi commercial that was aired on the show.

link (https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=oyQEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PT126&lpg=PT126&dq=glenn+frey+pepsi+grammys+billboard&source=bl&ots=a7Lg_666GR&sig=arlsnxuA8wLEQ2MRNT8ZziOxZoI&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CDcQ6AEwBGoVChMI9MjVlsDHxwIVIY7bCh1VfQmi#v=on epage&q=glenn%20frey%20pepsi%20grammys%20billboard&f=false)

AlreadyGone95
10-05-2015, 11:02 AM
Glenn is among the 700 or so artists being inducted into the Goldmine Magazine Hall of Fame. ( the Eagles and Don Henley have already been inducted).

There's a short bio of Glenn's career at the bottom of the page.
http://www.goldminemag.com/news/goldmines-hall-fame-inductees-volume-68

sodascouts
10-05-2015, 09:41 PM
Congrats to Glenn!

UndertheWire
10-06-2015, 10:14 AM
I was surprised as he doesn't usually appear on that kind of list. However, after looking at the criteria, I see this is as more about how many records an artist has sold rather than a random bunch of music journalist voting for who they think is important. Wee done, Glenn!

Meanwhile, I wish there would be some real news. With Don Henley touring with his new album, Joe touring and promising a new album, Timothy working on an album (according to Joe, I think) and Don Felder talking of a new album, the silence from Glenn is disappointing.

AlreadyGone95
10-06-2015, 11:54 AM
I was shocked too, in a good way. It's nice to see Glenn recognize for his individual talents, and not just that of the Eagles.

I found that out while searching Google for Glenn Frey news. Sadly, the induction was the only recent thing I found. I know that it's only been a little over 2 months since the end of the HOTE tour, but with every other member doing something or being spotted in public, i agree that the silence surrounding Glenn is weird..

scottside
10-06-2015, 04:33 PM
Perhaps Glenn is working on a dvd of HOTE tour. It would make sense for the Eagles to put one out and he's usually the guy that is the executive producer on these things (or at least on the Farewell dvd, I'm not sure about the other one).

Freypower
10-06-2015, 05:51 PM
I don't think it's either disappointing or weird. That is the way I used to think & then I learned that it was pointless for me to think that way. I hope he is recording. I very much doubt he would be working on an HOTE DVD because these are usually pre-announced; they don't just suddenly appear out of the blue.

LuvTim
10-06-2015, 07:47 PM
......=v Timothy working on an album (according to Joe, I think)....

:heart::heart::rockon::guitar::applause: :yay::smitten:

And Congrats to Glenn!!!! :applause: :cheers:

Funk 50
10-07-2015, 04:13 AM
I found that out while searching Google for Glenn Frey news. Sadly, the induction was the only recent thing I found. I know that it's only been a little over 2 months since the end of the HOTE tour, but with every other member doing something or being spotted in public, i agree that the silence surrounding Glenn is weird..

Glenn will have to renegotiate that contract and give himself a pay cut. Don and Joe are keeping the Eagles name in the spotlight while he enjoys the proceeds. :twisted:

Is Glenn still worth, more than double the amount Joe earns :shrug:

UndertheWire
10-07-2015, 06:16 AM
F50, you're stirring!

From what I've read, each tour has new contracts, so even though we (more or less) know the terms for the HFO tour, that doesn't mean those are still in effect. We also don't know just who does what behind the scenes, nor are we in a position to judge the value.

My opinion/speculation is that if Glenn was put in the position where he felt he was a less valuable member of the band, he'd call it a day.

Brooke
10-07-2015, 10:04 AM
I sure do wish they would make a dvd of the HotE tour, but as Fp said, we haven't heard a thing about such for all this time, so it's probably just wishful thinking.

I would think they would try to put all those recordings of every concert to good use. Please guys?!

UndertheWire
10-07-2015, 11:59 AM
FP's comments reminded me that pre-internet we had very little idea what our favourite artists were doing between record releases. Even keeping track of tours was tricky. Glenn remains old-school. You've only got to read the old threads on this board discussing a possible solo album to realise that even dedicated fans knew very little until just before After Hours was released. So he could have some exciting project, or he could be just relaxing in Hawaii.

AlreadyGone95
10-07-2015, 04:12 PM
Glenn will have to renegotiate that contract and give himself a pay cut. Don and Joe are keeping the Eagles name in the spotlight while he enjoys the proceeds. :twisted:

I'm pretty sure that hell will have to freeze over again for that to happen ;). Obviously, each of the 4 guys is happy with the percentage he receives or else the band probably wouldn't be still together. Joe's earning some extra $$$ by touring at the moment.

AlreadyGone95
10-07-2015, 04:20 PM
FP's comments reminded me that pre-internet we had very little idea what our favourite artists were doing between record releases. Even keeping track of tours was tricky. Glenn remains old-school. You've only got to read the old threads on this board discussing a possible solo album to realise that even dedicated fans knew very little until just before After Hours was released. So he could have some exciting project, or he could be just relaxing in Hawaii.

I guess because I grew up in the computer age, I'm used to seeing or reading something about my favorite musicians at least once every few months, even if they're currently inactive(not touring or recording an album). Even though most of my favorite bands are of the older crowd, their Facebook pages are usually somewhat active. I guess there's really no point in having articles or interviews out without having something to promote.

Freypower
10-07-2015, 04:42 PM

I'm sorry, but I think that is very unfair.

Don & Joe are keeping THEIR names in the spotlight, not the Eagles. What proceeds of their shows is Glenn benefiting from, especially Don who isn't even playing any Eagles songs?

If he chooses not to be active for whatever reason, that is his right.

'Stirring' is one way of putting it.:x

GlennLover
10-07-2015, 11:40 PM
He could be working on the Hotel California musical. :shrug:

Glennsallnighter
10-08-2015, 04:15 AM
Another thing is that his Dad is very elderly and with his Mom gone now he may be spending time with his Dad. He would not have had an abundance of time for family during the HOTE tour legs as they were so intense. We never know whats going on in the private lives of anyone and thats the way it should be.

Funk 50
10-08-2015, 05:05 AM
I'm sorry, but I think that is very unfair.

Don & Joe are keeping THEIR names in the spotlight, not the Eagles. What proceeds of their shows is Glenn benefiting from, especially Don who isn't even playing any Eagles songs?

If he chooses not to be active for whatever reason, that is his right.

'Stirring' is one way of putting it.:x

I'm just using the same criteria that Glenn used to up his cut in the 90s.

I haven't a problem with Glenn or Tim being inactive but the more inactive they are, the more irrelevant they are, in my opinion.

UndertheWire
10-08-2015, 05:34 AM

I haven't a problem with Glenn or Tim being inactive but the more inactive they are, the more irrelevant they are, in my opinion.
I know that's what you were hinting at but this is different situation. In 1994, the Eagles had been inactive for 14 years and one of the main indicators of whether they still had it was their solo work. Clearly the current line-up has been active as a band for the last 14 years and even in years where they don't tour, they have played a number of shows.

Certainly, if there was another break of 14 years - or even 5 - I'd look to the solo output but by then, I guess most of the fans won't be able to hear well enough to tell the difference.

Glennsallnighter
10-08-2015, 10:40 AM

The difference was that it was EAGLES songs that Glenn :heart: was talking about in the 90s - i.e. mainly songs that he and Don had been singing. I mean all the Eagles songs I remember in the 80s and up to HFO were the classics - TIE, HC, LE, HT, NKIT, Desperado - all with either himself or Don on lead. The notable exception was TITTL, but Meisner had left the band by then anyway. Joe and Don are now promoting themselves - they will make whatever money they do from their shows and/or albums and fair play to them, but that won't effect anybody 'cut' from the HOTE shows.

Freypower
10-08-2015, 03:57 PM

He doesn't do anything for a few months and you call him 'irrelevant'.

I repeat that it is not compulsory for him to constantly be in the public eye. Did you make the same comments about Don when After Hours was released? What is the point of touring when you have nothing to promote?

UndertheWire
11-13-2015, 08:29 AM
Forgive me, I've been disappearing down rabbit holes over the last few days so here are a couple of small references that I find interesting.

From the doc, we know Henley saw Elton John's first US performance at the Troubadour, but do you know who was the first act that Elton and his band saw at the Troubadour? Yes, that would be Longbranch Pennywhistle opening for The Dillards.
http://www.eltonjohn.com/45-years-ago-eltons-first-visit-to-the-us-part-1/

Next is an interview with the members of Honey Ltd, earlier known as the Mama Cats, who were one of Punch Andrews' acts in Detroit before moving to LA. (I think it's been posted before because I remember someone identifying which was Joan and which was Alex Silwin). They also sang backup on Ramblin' Gamblin' Man.
http://www.furious.com/perfect/honeyltd.html

Brooke
11-13-2015, 10:52 AM
Forgive me, I've been disappearing down rabbit holes over the last few days so here are a couple of small references that I find interesting.

From the doc, we know Henley saw Elton John's first US performance at the Troubadour, but do you know who was the first act that Elton and his band saw at the Troubadour? Yes, that would be Longbranch Pennywhistle opening for The Dillards.
http://www.eltonjohn.com/45-years-ago-eltons-first-visit-to-the-us-part-1/

Next is an interview with the members of Honey Ltd, earlier known as the Mama Cats, who were one of Punch Andrews' acts in Detroit before moving to LA. (I think it's been posted before because I remember someone identifying which was Joan and which was Alex Silwin). They also sang backup on Ramblin' Gamblin' Man.
http://www.furious.com/perfect/honeyltd.html

Nice little tidbits there, UtW! Thanks!

UndertheWire
11-17-2015, 05:41 AM
It's worth reading the comments on this for a little history of "The Heavy Metal Kids":
http://www.garagehangover.com/fourofus/

"Radio Active"!

sodascouts
11-17-2015, 08:59 PM
It's worth reading the comments on this for a little history of "The Heavy Metal Kids":
http://www.garagehangover.com/fourofus/

"Radio Active"!

LOL!!!!

I always wondered why they'd had that name before the term "heavy metal" was coined - I didn't even know the term had ever been associated with radioactivity. Must be some 50s thing. That's hilarious!

Thank you so much for finding these nuggets!

AlreadyGone95
11-18-2015, 01:04 PM
The British Blues/blues rock band Free(All Right Now) was requested by Island Records to use the name Heavy Metal Kids back in 1968. It was mainly because of their age. The youngest, Andy Fraser, was only 16, and the oldest, Simon Kirke, was about 19. I'm glad that they stuck to their guns and kept the name Free. (Just a little relevant tidbit about a different band I love).

I always thought that the term heavy metal came from the Peter Fonda movie, Easy Rider, or the Steppenwolf song, Born to be Wild. " I like smoke and lightning, heavy metal thunder". It originally was meant for motorcycles before it became a music genre. You learn something new everyday.

UndertheWire
11-25-2015, 05:35 AM
Jack Tempchin has just announced that "I did it for your love" will be in the upcoming film starring Jennfier Lawrence, Bradley Cooper and Robert deNiro.
https://www.facebook.com/JackTempchin/posts/10154405608104816

sodascouts
11-27-2015, 06:16 PM
Very cool! I love that song.

Is it silly that the song's inclusion makes me want to see the movie just to hear it, lol? I'll wait 'til it comes on Netflix, though.

Jonny Come Lately
11-28-2015, 08:13 AM
[B]I always wondered why they'd had that name before the term "heavy metal" was coined - I didn't even know the term had ever been associated with radioactivity. Must be some 50s thing. That's hilarious!

The term heavy metal is still used in this context - I'm actually a scientist myself so 'heavy metal' to me can mean cadmium and lead as well as Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden. :smile: I'll try to keep this fairly short and straightforward, but the heavier elements are more likely to be radioactive because they are so large and therefore less stable than, say, lighter metals such as lithium, and the less stable the species, the more likely it is to undergo radioactive decay.

A couple of Wikipedia articles if anyone is interested:

Heavy Metal (Chemical element)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metal_(chemical_element)

Radioactive Decay
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioactive_decay

12-02-2015, 12:45 PM
Thanks for letting us know about that, UTW. I Did It for Your Love is probably the Glenn solo song that has grown on me the most. When I first heard it, I was unimpressed and thought it was rather bland. Then suddenly one day I was listening to it and, out of nowhere, it grabbed me and I gained a whole new appreciation for it. Now I absolutely adore the song - its raw, honest emotion is simply beautiful!

AlreadyGone95
12-15-2015, 01:15 AM
Not quite sure where to put this because I don't have a link to prove it.

My uncle called me a few minutes ago. He was watching our local PBS station. They had a program on about the history of Muscle Shoals studio. He told me that, toward the end, there was a brief mention of Glenn Frey and No Fun Aloud. They showed a picture of the album cover. My uncle said that he hopes ot repeats because he wants to record it and have me watch it. There were also mentions of Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman Brothers Band, Grateful Dead, among others.

ETA: Here's the show on PBS: http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/films/muscle-shoals/

UndertheWire
12-16-2015, 03:42 PM
The Muscle Shoals documentary was on my wish list, so you prompted me to watch it. It's a good one as it's about musicians I've been listening to for my whole life without knowing their names or faces. Now I need to look up the credits on No Fun Aloud so I can put faces to the names. The Glenn Frey reference is just his name as the flick past the album cover in a long list of musicians who they have played with.

ETA: The Muscle Shoals songs must be Sea Cruise, That Girl and All Those Lies. Two "Swampers" - Roger Hawkins on drums and David Hood on bass - play on those along with a couple of Muscle Shoals session musicians, Duncan Cameron and Wayne Perkins.

From Soda's collection, Glenn with some people in Muscle Shoals. http://www.glennfreyonline.com/images/GFreyMuscleShoals.jpg

And here's Glenn with Jerry Wexler who plays a significan role in the Muscle Shoals story.
http://www.glennfreyonline.com/images/GFreyJerryWexler.jpg

Freypower
12-16-2015, 05:56 PM
I remember at the time NFA & then The Allnighter came out I read all about Muscle Shoals, Atlantic R&B & Al Green because this was all music Glenn loved. Atlantic did six double LP compilations & I bought three of them (they include artists like Ray Charles, Otis Redding, Aretha Franklin, Sam & Dave, Wilson Pickett, etc etc). I have Al Green's Greatest Hits but I am not nearly as big a fan as Glenn is. I also knew he liked Sam Cooke. It's funny because yesterday I heard I'll Come Running Back To You - this is the only song I have seen Glenn do live that I don't have a version of him singing it. It's also weird that for the most part he was more influenced by this Memphis soul music than he was by the music of his own hometown Detroit.

All of this was after I had eagerly bought the Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, Gram Parsons because that influenced him too.

Of course we now know that he also likes Tony Bennett, Peggy Lee, Burt Bacharach etc. Perhaps it is because I'm much older now but I didn't feel the same compulsion to buy a lot of that music.

AlreadyGone95
12-16-2015, 07:45 PM
Well, the show repeats tonight, so I'll be watching it.

I don't know a whole lot about R&B, just the hits and the bigger artists. I'm not familiar with the differences between motown and soul music. Here, those terms are interchangeable. I hope to learn some new things tonight.

Now The Byrds/ Buffalo Springfield, I'm much more familiar with.

Roey
12-16-2015, 08:19 PM
I stumbled upon the Muscle Shoals documentary while channel surfing last night. I was amazed how these humble, relatively unknown musicians contributed to so many albums. There was great footage of the early days of the Rolling Stones at Muscle Shoals and lots of interviews and stories. I learned a lot. You are going to love it AG !

Freypower
12-16-2015, 09:49 PM
Well, the show repeats tonight, so I'll be watching it.

I don't know a whole lot about R&B, just the hits and the bigger artists. I'm not familiar with the differences between motown and soul music. Here, those terms are interchangeable. I hope to learn some new things tonight.

Now The Byrds/ Buffalo Springfield, I'm much more familiar with.

Motown tends to be regarded as 'soul' with its slick production & emphasis on vocal groups (Supremes, Temptations, Four Tops) although there were occasional solo artists like Marvin Gaye & Stevie Wonder. R&B tends to be less polished. I would say Aretha Franklin who was known as Lady Soul covered both genres.

AlreadyGone95
12-17-2015, 01:51 AM
I really enjoyed the show. Aretha was interviewed for it. Nice to hear about Respect being recorded. They also had Percy Sledge. I shocked to hear that When A Man Loves A Woman was the first song he recorded. Wilson Pickett and Clarence Walker were also on there.

Of course, when they talk about the area and the southern way of life, how there's nothing like it, I couldn't help but smile and nod my head. I believe that's true. Hearing about Skynyrd and the Allman Brothers Band (2 of my favorite bands) was cool, especially when they discussed Duane Allman inventing southern rock and Billy Powell joining Lynyrd Skynyrd. I didn't know what "Muscle Shoals has got the Swampers", from Skynyrd's Sweet Home Alabama meant until now.

As UTW said, Glenn just got a brief mention. They played most of Bob Seger's Mainstreet, and talked about him for a few minutes. Also, having Bono, Mick Jagger, and Keith Richards talk about recording there and they felt at home was fascinating.

I was amazed and shocked that the session musicians were white! They definitely had soul, though. Great show!

LuvTim
12-17-2015, 02:58 AM
AG, I think I saw this on Independent Lens on PBS Explore.Saw the Glenn Frey album cover. Great show. Did you catch the documentary short right after it? Waiting on a Train, I think it was called.

AlreadyGone95
12-17-2015, 03:08 AM
AG, I think I saw this on Independent Lens on PBS Explore.Saw the Glenn Frey album cover. Great show. Did you catch the documentary short right after it? Waiting on a Train, I think it was called.

Yes, I did. Not very often you hear about a Japanese guy who loves country and bluegrass music enough to come to the states. That was pretty cool. When he played the record, I heard something about cotton pickin' in Georgia, but I didn't recognize the song.

UndertheWire
12-17-2015, 10:55 AM
I remember at the time NFA & then The Allnighter came out I read all about Muscle Shoals, Atlantic R&B & Al Green because this was all music Glenn loved. Atlantic did six double LP compilations & I bought three of them (they include artists like Ray Charles, Otis Redding, Aretha Franklin, Sam & Dave, Wilson Pickett, etc etc). I have Al Green's Greatest Hits but I am not nearly as big a fan as Glenn is. I also knew he liked Sam Cooke. It's funny because yesterday I heard I'll Come Running Back To You - this is the only song I have seen Glenn do live that I don't have a version of him singing it. It's also weird that for the most part he was more influenced by this Memphis soul music than he was by the music of his own hometown Detroit.

All of this was after I had eagerly bought the Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, Gram Parsons because that influenced him too.

Of course we now know that he also likes Tony Bennett, Peggy Lee, Burt Bacharach etc. Perhaps it is because I'm much older now but I didn't feel the same compulsion to buy a lot of that music.
The big advantage of 2015 over 1982 is that all these artists are just a few clicks away on youtube or streaming media. I also have a collection of vintage music that includes Dinah Washington and others that Glenn has mentioned - they were given out by a newspaper and I found them when clearing out my parents' house.

NightMistBlue
12-17-2015, 11:44 AM
I saw that documentary (on Netflix) - it's excellent. I don't remember the Glenn mention, but so many people recorded there, it's kinda overwhelming. At one point, there are rapid-fire images of the covers from all the major albums recorded at Muscle Shoals and it's like image overload.

UndertheWire
12-23-2015, 10:19 AM
Tour manager, Jerry Vaccarino talks about playing golf around the world with Glenn.
http://www.vcstar.com/sports/golf/the-eagles-tour-manager-has-worldly-golf-experience-26915b2a-a081-1dbb-e053-0100007fc2d6-363302711.html

At least we now have some idea of what you have to offer to get Glenn's interest:

Around 2005, a CEO of a large plastics company approached Vaccarino to see if Frey would be willing to be part of a corporate outing in Ireland that included golf every day and passes to the British Open. It became a yearly outing for seven years. The group would helicopter to courses around Ireland.
"It was the most amazing trip we ever got involved with," Vaccarino said. "Like I said, I've been so lucky. Glenn's more than a boss to me, he's like a brother. He is an amazing person and he's been great to me. We've had some memorable times together."

Brooke
12-23-2015, 11:22 AM
Can't even imagine helicoptering around to play golf! :cool:

AlreadyGone95
12-23-2015, 01:18 PM
Wow! That's cool! I want to be a fly on the wall of the helicopter.

sodascouts
12-23-2015, 05:42 PM
Thanks for that! Golf seems like such a hard game. I can barely do putt-putt.

Jonny Come Lately
12-23-2015, 05:59 PM
I've played a bit of golf myself. It can certainly be a very cruel game, but it's really satisfying if you get a perfect shot. I was very interested to hear that he got passes to the British Open, particularly as the 2006 and 2014 tournaments were held at Royal Liverpool Golf Club, which is basically on my doorstep (I'm also not that far from Royal Birkdale, which hosted in 2008, or Royal Lytham, the 2012 hosts) so it's very cool to think that he might have been around there.

Glennhoney
12-23-2015, 06:23 PM
..GREAT STORY..love to hear stories like this..:smile:

12-24-2015, 03:11 PM
Thanks for that, UTW. And yep - Jerry is a lucky guy, for sure. That's a pretty prestigious list of golf courses and some awesome memorabilia that he's manged to line up. Some of us have met Jerry briefly at some shows and he seems like a really nice guy. :rockon:

GlennLover
12-24-2015, 05:22 PM
High praise for Glenn!

UndertheWire
01-19-2016, 01:36 PM
The Detroit Free Press have published an interview given by Glenn in 2003 where he talks about his early years in some depth. Along with the music, I'm sad that we won't get that memoir.

http://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/music/2016/01/19/glenn-frey-detroit-years-free-press-interview/78987916/

AlreadyGone95
01-19-2016, 02:53 PM
The LA Dodgers have posted this video of Glenn calling part of a baseball game in 1985.
http://dodgers.mlblogs.com/2016/01/18/with-vin-scully-at-his-side-glenn-frey-calls-pedro-guerrero-homer-in-1985/?partnerId=as_lad_20160119_57401666&adbid=10154527681883508&adbpl=fb&adbpr=45084588507

ETA: I completely forgot about the memoir until now. Sad that it won't see the light of day.

OutlawManNJ
01-20-2016, 03:51 AM
Nice tribute tonight from Stephen Colbert on The Late Show on CBS. He talked about how Desperado was the song that he first danced with (and touched) a girl with.

AlreadyGone95
01-21-2016, 12:46 AM
Thought that would put this here as well. A small glimpse of the dad behind the rockstar. http://m.nydailynews.com/entertainment/life-fast-lane-glenn-frey-devoted-nyc-dad-article-1.2503748

Freypower
01-21-2016, 06:28 PM
I take it people are aware of the horrible article in the New York Daily News, but if not:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/glenn-frey-death-sad-eagles-lousy-band-article-1.2501461

Readers' reactions:

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/jan-21-glenn-frey-sarah-palin-uber-article-1.2503794

The guy attempts to defend what he wrote. Particular risible is his claim that he represents that old Nixonian excuse, 'the silent majority'.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/hated-man-america-article-1.2502910

So, you know, as with the Guardian writers, it's all about him.

Anger is part of grief, and this is part of dealing with my anger.

cynd1231
01-21-2016, 06:32 PM
I take it people are aware of the horrible article in the New York Daily News, but if not:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/glenn-frey-death-sad-eagles-lousy-band-article-1.2501461

Readers' reactions:

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/jan-21-glenn-frey-sarah-palin-uber-article-1.2503794

The guy attempts to defend what he wrote. Particular risible is his claim that he represents that old Nixonian excuse, 'the silent majority'.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/hated-man-america-article-1.2502910

So, you know, as with the Guardian writers, it's all about him.

Anger is part of grief, and this is part of dealing with my anger.

I saw the article and couldn't even justify it by making mention of it here. I found it offensive under the circumstances. And the 'silent majority' should keep their mouths shut at a time like this.

01-21-2016, 07:51 PM
Seriously – What in the world is wrong with people? Has our society really become this self-indulgent, insensitive, and incompassionate that we have trash someone who has been gone less than a week? Before you know it, is it going to be okay to ask a widow two days after the death of her spouse when she is going to start dating? Or why not just go trash someone during their funeral service? I always thought it was supposed to be customary to be polite, deferential, and unobtrusive to the departed and their loved ones for a window of time immediately following a death. Just because you are discussing a public figure on the internet does not mean it is acceptable to disregard proper etiquette. It seems to me that common sense would tell people that they should extend the same courtesy, respect, and sensitivity to Glenn’s family, friends, bandmates, and fans during this sad time. I admit I am hypersensitive right now, but I think that’s a pretty typical human reaction during times of loss, which is exactly why there are boundaries that shouldn’t be crossed. Are people’s negative opinions really so important that it has to be said or, at the very least, can’t it be saved for a more appropriate time?

Okay, this obviously angers me, but my rant is over. But, the truth is this kind of insensitive, offensive, mean-spirited behavior saddens me more than it angers me. It really disturbs me that so many people in our world today think this is okay.

AlreadyGone95
01-21-2016, 07:56 PM
I'm not even going to open the links. Yesterday, in one of my Facebook music groups, someone had posted Journey of the Sorcerer. The first comment on there literally said "F Glenn Frey. I can't stand his bull***t music". I nearly went off the deep end. I have no problem with someone not liking the Eagles, but to just be that utterly insensitive and disrespectful only 2 days after someone has passed, is just plain wrong. (Sorry if this upsets anyone, but I needed to get it off my chest)

AlreadyGone95
01-21-2016, 08:38 PM
Cameron Crowe's Rolling Stone article on Glenn.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/remembering-glenn-frey-cameron-crowe-on-eagles-teen-king-20160121

chaim
01-22-2016, 01:04 PM
There have been some reports in the media that have taken things too much to another extreme IMO. In the past Glenn's contributions have often been downplayed, and I hope these "other extreme" writings/videos don't give "the haters" more reason to say negative things. I hope they're intelligent enough. I mean things like "the other writer of Hotel California". It seems that some journalists have decided that it was a Henley/Frey composition. Also a heading like "legendary guitar hero", although meaning well, is bound to attract one or two mean comments.

Glenn always acknowledged the fact that Felder came up with most of the music for HC. Glenn was also the first to say that he was not a virtuoso player. Quite the opposite, he underestimated himself as a player. I just wish that everyone who reads these understands that it is the writer who has decided to say these things, and they don't reflect anything Glenn has ever said.

AlreadyGone95
01-24-2016, 09:58 PM
Probably one of the best "top" songs articles I've read.
http://radio.com/2016/01/18/15-great-glenn-frey-songs/

Outlawman13
01-25-2016, 02:37 PM
I think it's the best one as well! Love how they go into detail about each song

AlreadyGone95
01-25-2016, 02:56 PM
An article talking about Glenn's love of golf and his charities and contributions.
http://www.aspentimes.com/news/sports/20279250-113/column-glenn-freys-legacy-extends-to-aspen-junior

UndertheWire
01-25-2016, 03:21 PM
An article talking about Glenn's love of golf and his charities and contributions.
http://www.aspentimes.com/news/sports/20279250-113/column-glenn-freys-legacy-extends-to-aspen-junior

This may be related:
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/entertainment/music/2016/01/22/how-two-iowans-became-friends-eagles-star-glenn-frey/79120548/

NightMistBlue
01-26-2016, 01:28 PM
This is Glenn's obit in the Miami Herald; it contains a clip of a Pepsi commercial that he and Don Johnson did back in the mid-80s:

http://www.miamiherald.com/entertainment/music-news-reviews/article55369565.html

OT: weirdly, the obit is dated January 17, which would make the obit writer a psychic.

LuvTim
01-26-2016, 08:45 PM
I hope this is the correct forum. Please move if it isn't. :-)

From the Wichita Eagle:

"...People who love music understand the profundity of this loss. It’s personal. I learned the words to every Eagles song. Being a writer, I’m amazed by the words and the message they convey..."

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/lutz-blog/article56491773.html

Outlawman13
01-26-2016, 11:44 PM
I love this article soo much!!! I think this one is the best one!!! Glenn is a major influence on sooo many people and singers!! And me personally!!

Tiffanny Twisted
01-27-2016, 07:33 AM
I hope this is the correct forum. Please move if it isn't. :-)

From the Wichita Eagle:

...People who love music understand the profundity of this loss. It’s personal. I learned the words to every Eagles song. Being a writer, I’m amazed by the words and the message they convey...

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/lutz-blog/article56491773.html

This is a great article
He gets how we all feel cause its his feelings too

Freypower
01-27-2016, 07:16 PM
The result of Rolling Stone's poll of 'best' tracks:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/readers-poll-the-10-best-glenn-frey-songs-20160127

While I am happy with the winner, I am not happy that once more, the Lebowski stuff was trotted out, and not once is Glenn's actual performance in any of these songs discussed. Not once.

chaim
01-28-2016, 05:04 AM
I'm glad the "winner" was New Kid In Town and not Take It Easy, because they actually co-wrote it (I don't consider Glenn's one line in TIE really co-writing, and I don't think Glenn did either) and it's a better song IMO. Take It Easy would have been a more obvious choice.

Prettymaid
01-28-2016, 08:43 AM
TIE was my choice, but I don't mind that it didn't win.

While Glenn's credits for the lyrics are only those two lines, I think TIE showcases his talents as an arranger. As much as I love JB, his version of the song doesn't touch Glenn's. JB himself has talked about Glenn's arrangement and the big Eagles harmonies on the song.

chaim
01-28-2016, 10:51 AM
I think I'll have to correct part of my statement. I have nothing against Take It Easy and people voting for it, especially when they know other Eagles/Glenn songs too but still prefer TIE. I think I was thinking of casual fans who only know HC and TIE and therefore vote for TIE as the best Glenn song. Not that NKIT is an obscure song, but perhaps TIE is a more obvious choice for people who don't know much about Eagles/Glenn. You know, it's a bit like asking what's the greatest Procol Harum song from people who only know A Whiter Shade Of Pale.:smile: That's what I was afraid of.

Having said that, I may have been wrong. Most of the people who voted probably know a lot about the Eagles. When I think about it now, I can't see tons of casual fans giving their vote.

01-28-2016, 01:46 PM
Yep - I agree with you chaim about TIE being the obvious choice. I didn't vote in the poll, but, TBH, if I had, it's probably what I would've voted for. I think the reason it usually wins these type surveys and is the one played in most of the tributes is because it is the definitive Eagles/Glenn song. Having said that, it is a little refreshing to see NKIT get some much-deserved props.

TIE was my choice, but I don't mind that it didn't win.

While Glenn's credits for the lyrics are only those two lines, I think TIE showcases his talents as an arranger. As much as I love JB, his version of the song doesn't touch Glenn's. JB himself has talked about Glenn's arrangement and the big Eagles harmonies on the song.

Exactly PM - ITA.

(And BTW, it's so nice to have you back even under such sad circumstances. I've really missed ya).

JennyCH
01-28-2016, 04:10 PM
The result of Rolling Stone's poll of 'best' tracks:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/readers-poll-the-10-best-glenn-frey-songs-20160127
I am not happy that once more, the Lebowski stuff was trotted out,

Oh god. I hate that too. Some of these writers probably just know it's something the I guess "hipsters" quote or whatever. That line about the Eagles is simply a device to get The Dude thrown out of the taxi. These people make it seem The Big Lebowski was a movie about a guy who hates the Eagles. It's about a slacker, well, bum who muddles through this increasingly complicated situation. They act like it's the Coens' big statement on "corporate rock".

Freypower
01-28-2016, 05:37 PM
I think I'll have to correct part of my statement. I have nothing against Take It Easy and people voting for it, especially when they know other Eagles/Glenn songs too but still prefer TIE. I think I was thinking of casual fans who only know HC and TIE and therefore vote for TIE as the best Glenn song. Not that NKIT is an obscure song, but perhaps TIE is a more obvious choice for people who don't know much about Eagles/Glenn. You know, it's a bit like asking what's the greatest Procol Harum song from people who only know A Whiter Shade Of Pale.:smile: That's what I was afraid of.

Having said that, I may have been wrong. Most of the people who voted probably know a lot about the Eagles. When I think about it now, I can't see tons of casual fans giving their vote.

I'm afraid I disagree. Apart from NKIT winning, every other choice, including the handful of solo songs, was 'obvious'.

I contrast this with when they did one for Phil Collins & my second favourite of his songs, The Roof Is Leaking, made the list. Only real fans would have voted for that.

They did better with another list of what they considered Glenn's 20 best songs.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/glenn-frey-20-essential-songs-2016011

Anyway, they have run this now. It includes some very nice comments by Don Felder, and also Randy Newman among many others. I hope this will be part of a cover story after the Bowie cover.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/glenn-frey-an-oral-history-20160128

Prettymaid
01-28-2016, 07:58 PM
(And BTW, it's so nice to have you back even under such sad circumstances. I've really missed ya).

Kay, I wish I could give you a big hug. I'm so, so sorry this happened.

01-28-2016, 08:15 PM
Me too on both counts! :hug:

chaim
01-29-2016, 04:16 AM
They did better with another list of what they considered Glenn's 20 best songs.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/glenn-frey-20-essential-songs-2016011

I get a "Sorry for the inconvenience, this page is not found".

TimothyBFan
01-29-2016, 09:17 AM
Dreamer- I love the new profile picture! But it seems so strange to see a different profile picture from the only one we've ever known. I've loved all the pictures of the Border members with Glenn.

For the record- I voted for NKIT. It's always been and will always be my favorite Glenn vocals.

Brooke
01-29-2016, 10:31 AM
Yes, Dreamer, I didn't recognize you in your new profile pic! Awesome that you got to meet Glenn and what a wonderful picture!

I would have voted for TIE as it's always been my favorite Eagles song, but love NKIT too.

AlreadyGone95
01-29-2016, 12:11 PM

I get the same thing.

TIE and NKIT are pretty close together on my list of favorite Eagles songs.(#10 and #12 respectively) TIE is the Glenn song (meaning that Glenn sings lead) that most people know. It's like his Hotel California. He may not have wrote much of the lyrics, but it's still an Eagles song, and probably their most well known after Hotel California. I probably would've voted for it myself. Heck, my 2 favorite Glenn Eagles songs are 2 that he didn't write at all, Outlaw Man and Already Gone. I am glad that NKIT won, even though I can't see the list, because I do believe that it doesn't get the recognition it deserves.

I agree about Dreamer's new AV. It's cool and amazing that you got to meet Glenn, but I keep doing a double take.

01-29-2016, 02:45 PM
Yeah - I just felt like I needed to change. I actually started to change my av temporarily last month when we celebrated the 10 year anniversary of the board, but ultimately I decided against it. I really don't know why, but I'm glad I didn't change it now. I going to post more about it in another thread so as not to take this thread too much off topic.

Freypower
01-29-2016, 04:59 PM

Damn. All I can hope is it will be in the tribute issue.

You in particular will be glad to know it included I Can't Tell You Why & also Life In The Fast Lane referring to his clavinet playing. Most of the others were obvious but the last one was a surprise - it was Busy Being Fabulous as they described how Glenn finished the lyrics on that song. Not my choice from that album by any means.

scottside
01-29-2016, 07:21 PM
I'm not sure where this belongs, but I stumbled upon this on Amazon and elsewhere. It's not a surprise exactly, but I'm sure it's wouldn't have been released under normal circumstances. I wonder who get any profits....

http://mvdb2b.com/s/GlennFreyTakeItToTheLimitRadioBroadcast1986/LM701

Outlawman13
01-29-2016, 07:59 PM
This is pretty awesome and very special!! I never seen this before! I will have to order it sometime soon

GlennLover
01-29-2016, 08:42 PM
Release date on Amazon.com is April 8. It's available for preorder. I don't see it on Amazon.ca.

Outlawman13
01-29-2016, 08:43 PM
OHH def pre-ordering this!

UndertheWire
01-30-2016, 12:26 PM
I'm not sure where this belongs, but I stumbled upon this on Amazon and elsewhere. It's not a surprise exactly, but I'm sure it's wouldn't have been released under normal circumstances. I wonder who get any profits....

http://mvdb2b.com/s/GlennFreyTakeItToTheLimitRadioBroadcast1986/LM701
That looks like the setlist of the concert he did with Christopher Cross that was televised in Japan. (Only Sexy Girl is missing).

AlreadyGone95
01-30-2016, 12:47 PM
I'll be taking a look at the new release. Since it's on Amazon, I assume that it's not a bootleg?

This may belong in the remembrance thread. Here's an article that details the plan to name the street after Glenn.
http://www.clickondetroit.com/entertainment/glenn-frey-drive-could-become-reality-in-royal-oak

UndertheWire
01-30-2016, 12:49 PM
I like that they're going for Glenn Frey Drive.

chaim
01-30-2016, 01:13 PM
I'm glad that the clavinet part is discussed. Great that someone has noticed it! You don't hear it well, but you hear when it's not there (when they played it live). The verse is in E, but Glenn is playing a D power chord (sort of producing an Esus4 chord). It creates some nice....what's the word....tension?

GlennLover
01-30-2016, 03:29 PM
I'll be taking a look at the new release. Since it's on Amazon, I assume that it's not a bootleg?

This may belong in the remembrance thread. Here's an article that details the plan to name the street after Glenn.
http://www.clickondetroit.com/entertainment/glenn-frey-drive-could-become-reality-in-royal-oak

I wouldn't assume that it's not a bootleg. Even Walmart sells some bootlegs, eg. Christchurch, NZ - 1995 (if I remember correctly).

Freypower
01-30-2016, 04:45 PM
I wouldn't assume that it's not a bootleg. Even Walmart sells some bootlegs, eg. Christchurch, NZ - 1995 (if I remember correctly).

No way is that an official release or we would have heard about it. It's amazing how quickly people just want to cash in.

One of the track titles is 'Found Somebody'. Please.

I would like to see some revisiting of the solo work but this willl take time.

Jonny Come Lately
01-31-2016, 04:48 AM
I'm glad that the clavinet part is discussed. Great that someone has noticed it! You don't hear it well, but you hear when it's not there (when they played it live). The verse is in E, but Glenn is playing a D power chord (sort of producing an Esus4 chord). It creates some nice....what's the word....tension?

Thanks for pointing this out - I must admit in all the times I've listened to LITFL I've never really heard the clavinet apart from in the final chorus. There is so much going on guitar wise that my ears tend to be drawn to Joe and Don F's guitars. Does the clavinet appear anywhere else in the song?

I'd totally agree with the inclusion of ICTYW. Although he doesn't sing the lead vocal, he plays what I think are probably the two most important instrumental parts (the Rhodes piano and the wonderful guitar solos) and although I cannot be sure, I suspect he was very important in shaping the overall sound and feel of the song. Don and Glenn's solo careers seem to bear this out - Glenn went on to make other soft R&B flavoured songs, a style Don didn't really revisit.

However, I do not agree with the inclusion of Busy Being Fabulous - I'm sure he contributed quite a lot to the song, but I'm not sure what he did with it to make it one of his top 20. Ignoring the obvious, the lyrics seem much more typical of Don's style than his, and the music does not shout out 'Glenn' to me either. I do like the song quite a bit, but I think there are definitely stronger candidates for such a list than BBF, including several from that album (*cough* Somebody *cough*).

I'm afraid I'm also getting a broken link for the list. Would anyone mind posting the songs on the list? They don't have to be in order if you don't want to spoil it for people who can access the article.

chaim
01-31-2016, 12:42 PM
To my ears the clavinet is prominent in the verses (and the pre-chorus), but I don't know if Glenn plays it throughout the song. Check out the first verse, just after the word "city", where Glenn does this real cool "chord riff" on the clavinet. (continues beneath the words "he had a"). I've always loved that. At 0:42-43 mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tcXblWojdM

Something great, although not necessarily apparent and in-your-face. That's Glenn!

01-31-2016, 01:08 PM
I'm afraid I'm also getting a broken link for the list. Would anyone mind posting the songs on the list? They don't have to be in order if you don't want to spoil it for people who can access the article.

I was going to try to post the list for you JCL, but I can't access it either.

UndertheWire
01-31-2016, 01:55 PM
Is this the list?
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/glenn-frey-20-essential-songs-20160118

GlennLover
02-01-2016, 11:52 AM
I posred this in the Remembering Glenn thread as well. It's a 2003 interview with the Detroit Free Press. http://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/music/2016/01/19/glenn-frey-detroit-years-free-press-interview/78987916/

Freypower
02-01-2016, 04:41 PM
Is this the list?
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/glenn-frey-20-essential-songs-20160118

That's it, UTW! Well done to you! Perhaps they have reinstated the link.

As you can now see the two other peculiar inclusions are Desperado & Wasted Time because of the piano. I would agree that Glenn never got sufficient credit for his work on those two songs, but I would have thought most people would see them as essential Don Henley songs. They should have looked deeper into his solo career, but it seems his solo career wasn't successful enough.

Also while I agree about Ramblin' Gamblin' Man I would also include Baltimore & Shame On The Moon regarding his harmonies (there are others on Baltimore but it's Glenn you listen to).

Jonny Come Lately
02-01-2016, 06:04 PM
To my ears the clavinet is prominent in the verses (and the pre-chorus), but I don't know if Glenn plays it throughout the song. Check out the first verse, just after the word "city", where Glenn does this real cool "chord riff" on the clavinet. (continues beneath the words "he had a"). I've always loved that. At 0:42-43 mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tcXblWojdM

Something great, although not necessarily apparent and in-your-face. That's Glenn!

Thanks Toni - I listened out the song again and could hear the clavinet fairly well on the final verse, but then I also re-heard the bit you mentioned and you are quite right. That is a great little part, but I immediately knew why I'd never really noticed it until now and that is because the lines that immediately follow ('He had a nasty reputation as a cruel dude') are my favourites from the song. Until recently, the only part where I really noticed the clavinet most was actually the final chorus, where it is more prominent than elsewhere.

One other thing about LITFL I've noticed is that I think the song's title on the original studio version is always sung by Glenn and Randy together (I definitely hear both their voices, but I don't hear Don's there), but these seem to be the only lines which anyone other than Don sings in the whole track. I think Those Shoes is quite similar in that Glenn and Tim sing in the first verse after Joe's solo, otherwise it's all Don there too. Please correct me if I'm wrong with either of these.

FP, I agree with you about Wasted Time, which I don't think should be on this list, but I think Desperado can be justified for two reasons - Glenn did play the piano introduction to the song, which is a lot more iconic than the piano on WT (I've seen it make lists of the best 25 piano parts in rock) and he has also sung it in his own live performances even though he wasn't the original lead vocalist. For whatever reason, I definitely think it seems less quintessentially Henley, and somehow more 'Glenn' than Wasted Time.

Thanks to UTW for reposting the list, in a way I was quite glad that I wasn't the only one who had problems with it as it showed that it wasn't anything wrong with my computer or internet.

02-02-2016, 02:17 AM
A link to the first article below was posted earlier in this thread. The article was published in the New York Daily News just one day after Glenn's death. I was terribly disturbed that someone that is supposed to be a professional journalist would be so insensitive and self-indulgent.

Well - it seems I wasn't alone. I found another article that the writer posted the following day about the much deserved backlash he had received. I am posting both articles below ...

BY Gersh Kuntzman NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Updated: Tuesday, January 19, 2016, 3:43 PM

Glenn Frey’s death is sad, but the Eagles were a horrific band

No disrespect to Glenn Frey — whose death this week is a cause for genuine mourning — but the Eagles were, quite simply, the worst rock and roll band.

And hating the Eagles defines whether a music fan is a fan of music or just a bandwagon-jumper.

Through the early 1970s, the Eagles defined the “easy listening” genre, as if rock and roll is supposed to be a warm glass of milk to get you to bed.

Remember during the peak of this band’s fame — 1972-76 — Lou Reed put out “Walk on the Wild Side” and the LP “Berlin. David Bowie did “The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars.” The Stones did “Exile on Main St.” The Sex Pistols formed. Even Eagle-influenced Neil Young went on a bender with “On the Beach” and “Tonight’s the Night.”

But the Eagles kept churning out pop pap: “Peaceful Easy Feeling,” “Desperado,” “Take it To the Limit,” “One of these Nights,” “Already Gone” and “Best of My Love,” which to this day sounds even too soft for an elevator.

Even the band’s most-played song, “Take it Easy,” is a soulless take on Jackson Browne’s version, which at least suggests that the girl in rapidly decelerating flatbed Ford might have something on her mind than sharing a soda at the diner. Frey even co-wrote the song — which shows how poorly his Eagles bandmates did by him.

How generic were the Eagles? When the much edgier and much more musically inventive Steely Dan needed a band to mock, it chose the Eagles.

“Turn up the Eagles, the neighbors are listening,” a cuckholded husband tells his wife so that the people next door won’t think anything is amiss in the house.

Walter Becker and Donald Fagen captured it in one line: the Eagles were suburban conformity, writ large — the music you mom and dad would let you play on the living room hifi (you could go upstairs and listen to the Clash after dinner).

Even the Eagles’ signature hit, “Hotel California,” endures only because of its mysterious lyrics, which hint at political upheaval in the Golden State. But the song offers little for anyone but a small group of nerds trying to decode it. It’s the Eagles’ version of “American Pie,” a solid song, but ultimately a novelty one.

This diatribe has one caveat: Joe Walsh. The greatest of all Eagles always kept his soft-rock comrades at arm’s length, the better to maintain his sanity and his outside identity as a musician who had a pair (a pair of hits, I mean: "Life's Been Good" and "All Night Long").

The Eagles' greatest hits -- the album that everyone brought to college and no one wanted to listen to again.

There’s a reason Walsh wasn’t an original Eagle, but asked to join the band. He played guitar like a rock star. His solo (with Don Felder) in “Hotel California” is the only reason to listen to the song. His riff on “Life in the Fast Lane,” also on the “Hotel California” LP, marks the only good portion of the Eagles’ discography.

There is no greater example of the Eagles’ ultimate place in music history than an insult delivered in "The Big Lebowski", the Coen Brothers’ icon of cool. In a seminal scene, The Dude (Jeff Bridges) gets into a cab only to be insulted by Frey singing “Peaceful Easy Feeling” over that countrified guitar. He asks the driver to change the station, saying, “Man, I’ve had a rough night and I hate the f---ing Eagles!”

He gets thrown out of the cab by the driver, who clearly doesn’t care about music, but just wanted to take it easy.

A sportscar with hot woman drives by playing “Viva Las Vegas.”

That’s all that the Coen Brothers needed to say.http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/hated-man-america-article-1.2502910

BY Gersh Kuntzman NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Wednesday, January 20, 2016, 8:00 AM

I’m the most hated man in America for writing negatively about Glenn Frey and the Eagles!

You’re welcome, America.

Judging by the response to my column Tuesday about how much I hate the Eagles, our nation has finally set aside its bitter debate over guns, Donald Trump, ISIS and Sean Penn in favor of laser-focused hatred of me.

Like I’ve always said, I’m a uniter, not a divider. Happy to do my part, nation.

For the record, all I said was that the Eagles were a bad rock band in an era of unparalleled innovation in music. It’s an opinion — one that I still believe is shared by a vast but silent minority of music fans.

The column unleashed an avalanche of hate mail that buried me deeper than anything I experienced after more controversial pieces. Guns? Gay marriage? War? Peace? The lie of iced coffee? Nothing earned me so much anger as my contention that the Eagles were just Barry Manilow with guitars. (Sorry, Manilow fans!) One woman called me "the worst thing about America." Not poverty, hunger, homelessness or violence. No, Gersh Kuntzman.

The hate mail led to unintended attention, making me a target on Yahoo News, radio shows, the New Yorker and countless blogs (here's my favorite). Usually, I’d let a column speak for itself — hey, I had my say — but so many people are misrepresenting my motive that I need to offer an insight into why I wrote what I wrote when I wrote it.

First things first: I was not dancing on Glenn Frey’s grave. From all accounts, he was a good man. Was it tasteless to write negatively about the Eagles hours after his death? On this, I plead no contest: The main occupational hazard of journalism is that we must write about timely subjects. That’s what we do. And the Eagles, by unfortunate dint of Frey’s death, were certainly timely on Tuesday. People wanted to know everything they could about the band and Frey — and some Google searchers probably wanted columnists to assess the band’s place in music history.

In a fast-paced news culture, taste can be collateral damage. The goal is to make sure people who are interested in a topic can get all the news they need.

But we all know that opinions are like a--holes — and to most of you, mine stinks. But I never said my opinion of the Eagles is the only valid one. I just said it was mine. Many of my detractors — I’m looking at you, Boomer and Carton — suggested that the Eagles’ overwhelming sales figures by definition make them a great band.

No, sorry. Just because millions of Baby Boomers toss down billions of $10 bills for records doesn’t mean they are right. Kids today have made One Direction the era’s biggest selling band — but in 50 years, will we be mourning Harry Styles like Glenn Frey? I think not.

Other email writers said my goal was just a click-bait ploy of “going negative.” My record speaks for itself: I praise the praiseworthy and nip the heel of the overrated. Isn’t that what journalism is about?

Some of my correspondents have called for my death, which I think is a bit ironic coming from fans of a band that wanted us to “Take it Easy” and enjoy a “Peaceful Easy Feeling.”

You are right that my contributions to the world pale by comparison to Glenn Frey’s — and it is equally true that no one will mourn my passing except for a couple of kids in Brooklyn — but I will defend your right to cement my sub-par place in American letters after I am gone.

Finally, to those of you who just made fun of my surname, I think you could do better. I may be rightfully accused of dancing on a great musician's grave, but noticing the vulgar possibilities of my last name reminds me of third grade (and here come those tears again!).

Freypower
02-02-2016, 05:01 PM
In my previous post I had linked to both of those articles as well as the reader's' reactions to the first article.

02-02-2016, 10:33 PM
Yep - I know FP, but we are trying to post the articles related to Glenn's passing in addition to the links. Often times, after a while, when you click a link that has been posted for an article, you just get an error message because the link is no longer active.

GlennLover
02-03-2016, 10:34 AM
Yep - I know FP, but we are trying to post the articles related to Glenn's passing in addition to the links. Often times, after a while, when you click a link that has been posted for an article, you just get an error message because the link is no longer active.

I really appreciate these articles being posted as I know I will want to go back & retread them in the future. :smile: There is so much being written right now that it's hard to take it all.

Glennhoney
02-03-2016, 01:17 PM
I've been saving everything I see..posts, interviews, videos, etc...to watch later...when I feel I can cope...:heart:

JennyCH
02-03-2016, 04:57 PM
A link to the first article below was posted earlier in this thread. The article was published in the New York Daily News just one day after Glenn's death. I was terribly disturbed that someone that is supposed to be a professional journalist would be so insensitive and self-indulgent.

A messed-up person with an agenda.

Freypower
02-03-2016, 05:29 PM
A messed-up person with an agenda.

Which was why I wasn't sure whether those particular articles needed to be posted in full. It doesn't matter, I guess. It gives another perspective.

JennyCH
02-03-2016, 06:02 PM
Which was why I wasn't sure whether those particular articles needed to be posted in full. It doesn't matter, I guess. It gives another perspective.

I'm sorry this fellow and the chick in the New Yorker are worrying about everything from critics, Lebowski, odd neighbors in Brooklyn, tomfoolery and the kitchen sink. I just know when I put on Eagles albums, there's songcraft, musicianship, stories, ideas, and great singing. From Chuck Berry and Buddy Holly, Holland-Dozier-Holland, Brian Wilson, Eagles to Springsteen, Townshend to Vedder that's what it's all about. Did it move me?

Scarlet Sun
02-06-2016, 12:45 AM
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n14/universesociety/11737995_10153494544481532_5741820890053624271_n_z psdmlvt455.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153494544481532&set=gm.778988898866510&type=3&theater

buffyfan145
02-06-2016, 05:15 PM
I hope this is the right thread to post it in. I mentioned this on my Tumblr but after the Screen Actors Guild Awards aired and they didn't include Glenn in their tribute (they said they had a cut off date so it'll be in next years) I looked up their Twitter and saw they did post a tweet (https://twitter.com/sagaftra/status/689527366968709120) when he passed. They mentioned in it that he joined SAG in 1969 which threw me because normally you don't get into the actors union unless you've acted. My guess is after he moved to LA he must have done commercials or bit parts for a TV show for extra income. I just always though "Miami Vice" was his first acting role but seems like that's not the case. :)

02-07-2016, 01:12 PM
Love that Longbranch Pennywhistle poster, SS - that brought a smile to my face.

And buffy - It's possible that Glenn did some acting when he first came to L.A. although if that were the case, I think it's odd that no information or video ever surfaced about it. But you never know, so I guess we can't really assume anything. :shrug:

buffyfan145
02-07-2016, 05:13 PM
Love that Longbranch Pennywhistle poster, SS - that brought a smile to my face.

And buffy - It's possible that Glenn did some acting when he first came to L.A. although if that were the case, I think it's odd that no information or video ever surfaced about it. But you never know, so I guess we can't really assume anything. :shrug:

I do know that the actors guild, like most workforce unions, won't let anyone in unless you had a role in something. Sometimes when you watch the SAG Awards they'll have the actors talk about when they got their SAG card and it's usually a small role they have in a commercial, TV show, or film. It is odd no one knew about it till now, but my guess is he probably did it for the health insurance and to say he was an actor. LOL ;-) It was probably a really small extra role or ad so not that many would know.

sodascouts
02-07-2016, 09:56 PM
I bet it's on record somewhere. How I'd love to know!

02-08-2016, 01:22 PM
Yep - it would be very cool to know for sure.

AlreadyGone95
02-10-2016, 03:09 AM
I'd love to see a 20 year old Glenn acting!

Rolling Stone talks about the recent frequent passing of musicians, including Glenn's passing, and the potential end of the classic rock era.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/david-bowie-glenn-frey-and-the-end-of-the-classic-rock-era-20160122

As a young person, it really hurts to realize that most of my favorite musicians are over the hill now (over the age of 50). I know that their music will live on after they are no longer with us, but still, it does hurt, especially since I will probably never get to see any of them in concert.

02-10-2016, 02:11 PM
I still think it's a travesty that Glenn did not get a cover story from Rolling Stone, and for that I do not intend on ever buying one of their magazines again. I'm even somewhat reluctant to visit their website, but I will do so only if there is a mention of Glenn or the Eagles. This is an American music magazine that couldn't see fit to properly honor the passing of the founder and driving force behind what is widely considered to be America's greatest band. I'm not trying to overdramatize this, but I feel betrayed by their lack of respect. It feels really disloyal and unpatriotic - kinda like watching someone burn an American flag.

UndertheWire
02-10-2016, 02:17 PM
I'm rather shocked, too. I wouldn't expect him to be on the cover of any of the british magazines but that's because they will always favour a british artist over an american (there are about four or five Bowie covers and at least two with Lemmy).

PS. Maybe it's because Glenn no longer looked like a Rock Star. They may have worried readers would mistake them for a banking magazine.

Freypower
02-10-2016, 04:51 PM
I'm rather shocked, too. I wouldn't expect him to be on the cover of any of the british magazines but that's because they will always favour a british artist over an american (there are about four or five Bowie covers and at least two with Lemmy).

PS. Maybe it's because Glenn no longer looked like a Rock Star. They may have worried readers would mistake them for a banking magazine.

He looked like a rock star to me.

They put actors like Robin Williams & Philip Seymour Hoffman on their cover after they died.

Glennhoney
02-10-2016, 07:08 PM
I know David Bowie deserved a cover, but the thing is GLENN FREY and the EAGLES are the epitome of AMERICAN MUSIC....AMERICAN SOUNDTRACK...HE deserved a cover more than anyone else.......

anne_m
02-11-2016, 01:23 AM
I'm SOOOO very excited to know that the remaining Eagles will be doing a tribute honoring Glenn at the Grammys <3333

Jonny Come Lately
02-11-2016, 04:39 AM
Re: The Rolling Stone cover, if they thought Glenn in his later years didn't look enough like a rock star, they could have used an older photograph. Either way, IMO he certainly looked more like a rock star then than Chris Martin does or ever has (I think he'd probably admit this himself). Indeed, if the main concern is looking too much like a banking magazine, I once read a story recalled by a member of the British band The Fall about how a taxi driver once had Coldplay in his cab and thought they were stockbrokers! It's a bit of a sneering article (and somewhat hypocritical as the musician himself admits he often claimed to be an engineer), but it is quite ironic in the light of Glenn being left off the cover.

http://www.coldplaying.com/coldplay-are-middle-class-businessmen/

I'd agree that David Bowie deserved a cover though, especially as he did die first - I have to be honest and say it wouldn't have made sense to have a Glenn Frey issue before the Bowie one, but this month's cover could definitely have waited.

UndertheWire
02-11-2016, 05:03 AM
Thanks for the Coldplay story. I wasn't terribly serious about the cover photo, just trying to think of any justification for the omission. No doubt, it's down to what they think their readers would like to see. If the comments Rolling Stone article on the Grammy tribute are anything to go by, RS readers (FP excepted) are a bunch of idiots with no sense or respect.

02-11-2016, 12:45 PM
I so agree, UTW and so is the magazine's editorial staff. In my mind, there is absolutely no justification for the magazine's snub of Glenn - zero, none, nada! Although it wouldn't have been my first choice, I would have even settled for a split cover with Bowie since their deaths were so close together. This should not be about money or viewership or likeability - it's about an American music magazine paying the proper respect to an American music icon.

Freypower
02-11-2016, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the Coldplay story. I wasn't terribly serious about the cover photo, just trying to think of any justification for the omission. No doubt, it's down to what they think their readers would like to see. If the comments Rolling Stone article on the Grammy tribute are anything to go by, RS readers (FP excepted) are a bunch of idiots with no sense or respect.

I haven't decided whether to renew my subscription or not yet. While I expected this would happen I'm not very happy about it. Their standards have slipped in other areas (the story of the rape on a university campus which turned out to be fabricated).

shunlvswx
02-11-2016, 11:43 PM
Good news.. The school board passed to rename a street after Glenn in his hometown. The installation of the sign will be February 18th.

http://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/music/2016/02/11/glenn-frey-drive-approval-royal-oak/80242704/

Outlawman13
02-11-2016, 11:54 PM
This is so wonderful!!

02-13-2016, 06:16 PM
Very glad they passed this. I don't mean to put a negative spin on this because it is a great way to memorialize Glenn, but I wonder why we tend to wait until someone passes to do honor them. It's a shame we so often times procrastinate about these things and don't think to pay tribute to them while they are still around to appreciate it. :?: :?: :?:

And on another note, I sent an email to Rolling Stone about not honoring Glenn with a cover story. I won't post the whole thing because much of it is a repeat of what I already said here, but here's how I closed it ...

So Yes – the Eagles ARE America’s band and, in my mind, there is absolutely no justification for your magazine's snub of Glenn - zero, none, nada! This is not about money, viewership, or even your magazine’s personal history with this man and his band – it's about an American music magazine paying the proper respect to an American music icon. If your magazine really understood the American psyche and was truly an objective, credible, and intelligent publication, you would get that. But, perhaps Mr. Frey just wasn't cool enough to grace your cover. Shame on you!

Or perhaps I am mistaken or jumping to conclusions and your editorial staff is busily putting together a cover story for Glenn as we speak.

Probably not a chance, but I figured I'd leave them with something to ponder. Anyway, here is the link if any of you other Borderers are interested in writing them about on this ...

http://www.rollingstone.com/services/contactus

UndertheWire
02-13-2016, 07:18 PM
Thanks for telling them how you feel about it.

I feel completely disenchanted by RS based on the comments on their website. RS posted an article about the Grammy tribute and it seems like 99% of the comments are people complaining that Felder wasn't invited to be part of the tribute! I'm appalled that anyone thinks it appropriate to make it about anything other than honouring Glenn.

Freypower
02-13-2016, 07:55 PM
Thanks for telling them how you feel about it.

I feel completely disenchanted by RS based on the comments on their website. RS posted an article about the Grammy tribute and it seems like 99% of the comments are people complaining that Felder wasn't invited to be part of the tribute! I'm appalled that anyone thinks it appropriate to make it about anything other than honouring Glenn.

RS can't control the comments. However, sadly this seems to be all some people are interested in.

cheryl
02-13-2016, 08:16 PM
The February 11 issue has 6 pages on Glenn. There are a few pictures, old and new. Also, includes a re-print of a story written by Cameron Crowe. However, I also think he should be on the cover.

shunlvswx
02-13-2016, 08:46 PM
I went to Books A Million today and I found the David Bowie issue, but this wasn't the issue that had Glenn in there. This was special edition on David. I do want to get that one because it looks interested from what I saw.

They had the issue with Chris Martin there. I guess they are already took it away.

Freypower
02-13-2016, 08:58 PM
I went to Books A Million today and I found the David Bowie issue, but this wasn't the issue that had Glenn in there. This was special edition on David. I do want to get that one because it looks interested from what I saw.

They had the issue with Chris Martin there. I guess they are already took it away.

I was under the impression that the stories on Glenn WERE in the Bowie issue. From the sound of it they were in fact in the Martin issue. So in fact they COULD have done a cover story in the next issue after Bowie's cover & they basically chose not to do so. So they have even less excuse than I thought.:scowl::evil::tonguewag:

shunlvswx
02-13-2016, 09:58 PM
I didn't flip through the Chris Martin's issue because I was looking for the one with David on the cover. I did look through David's issue and that issue is mainly about his career. No other stories was in that issue.

David's issue will stay on the stands until May. So that issue will be at Books A Million for a while. They might do a special issue on Glenn where that issue is only about him. I don't know. I guess Rolling Stone think its not important to have a special issue on Glenn like David. To them, Glenn was not as popular and well known as David. So in their eyes, David deserves his own issue more than Glenn.

buffyfan145
02-13-2016, 10:23 PM
From what I saw Rolling Stone had two issues with David on the cover with one being their normal magazine and the other a special collectible for David's fans. The Glenn articles are in the regular issue and the Chris Martin cover is the issue that came after that.

Freypower
02-14-2016, 01:00 AM
I didn't flip through the Chris Martin's issue because I was looking for the one with David on the cover. I did look through David's issue and that issue is mainly about his career. No other stories was in that issue.

David's issue will stay on the stands until May. So that issue will be at Books A Million for a while. They might do a special issue on Glenn where that issue is only about him. I don't know. I guess Rolling Stone think its not important to have a special issue on Glenn like David. To them, Glenn was not as popular and well known as David. So in their eyes, David deserves his own issue more than Glenn.

I didn't expect an entire issue. All I would have liked was a cover.

However in my experience with their coverage of famous deaths - certainly for Lou Reed, Robin Williams & Philip Seymour Hoffman, and I imagine Bowie as well, they manage to piece together a story about the last couple of months. In this case, first, Glenn was a very private person & details of his illness were kept very quiet. Secondly, to be blunt, not much can be written about how this particular final illness progressed.

And the fact is that in the broader community even of music fans, Glenn was not that well known. He was known to his own fans. He may have sold a lot of records with his band but that doesn't mean people outside the immediate fanbase knew who he was.

On this board we may think this is wrong & they should have thought of the fans of such a popular band. However that doesn't seem to be how they judge significance in musical terms.

MaryCalifornia
02-14-2016, 01:34 AM
I know some of you don't agree with me, but I'll say it again, give Rolling Stone a chance - I do think they'll do something significant to recognize Glenn properly.

I suspect that the Coldplay cover probably had some corporate contractual tie-in elements relating to the Superbowl, they couldn't bump it to the following month. I know you'll say the magazine can do whatever they want, but sometimes, for business reasons, they just can't. It would have been the second in a row bumping something planned to cover an unexpected death...they couldn't swing it two months in a row and I'm not surprised.

It reminds me of the time I read a one-sentence blurb in the "Notes" section of the sports page of the San Francisco Chronicle that read, "The former wife of OJ Simpson was found murdered outside of her home yesterday morning." And I thought, wow, that seems like sort of a big deal...they stick in there what they have at publication time. I know it's a different situation, but I do hope that RS comes up with new content and perspective, not just sound bites, to honor Glenn in a big way.

chaim
02-14-2016, 04:18 AM
I wouldn't expect too much from Rolling Stone. Like Paul Stanley still says, they didn't even MENTION it when the KISS drummer died in the early 90's.

UndertheWire
02-14-2016, 06:33 AM
MC, you make a good point. Let's assume for a minute that RS want to do a Glenn Frey Special. They have a choice between getting it out quick or doing it right. What will readers, especially fans, want to see? There's the big question "Are the Eagles done?" and the huge "get" of an interview with Don Henley. I doubt that any magazine is getting anywhere with those at the moment. It's even possible that Azoff has asked RS to hold off for a bit until there's a plan.

The Bowie situation was different as he wasn't part of a bigger entity so when he's done, "Bowie" is pretty much done (of course there will probably be repackaging of old material but no one will be asking about what his band will do without him). He had released a new album just two days before his death, which means the press were almost up to date with his career and probably had all the research to hand. And all those different personas and musical styles make for good copy.

chaim
02-14-2016, 08:46 AM
RS can't control the comments. However, sadly this seems to be all some people are interested in.

It doesn't help that Don F retweeted someone's complaint about him not being there. But of course he has the right to retweet what he wants.

02-14-2016, 11:59 AM
First of all, I can't agree that Glenn was unknown outside of his fan base - at least, not in the U.S. Because of the low public profile he maintained, he may not have had widespread physical recognition; however, his name was widely recognizable. I believe most Americans over the age of 35 or 40 know who Glenn Frey was. But, to me, that is irrelevant to his legacy and Rolling Stone should recognize that.

I sure hope you all are right about RS doing a belated cover story or special edition tribute for Glenn even though I'm still a little skeptical. I'd be happy to be wrong about this though.

I would encourage Borderers to send an email or letter to the editor and encourage them to do so. I suspect that the more folks they hear from, the more likely it would be to happen. I posted this earlier, but here is the link if you want to send an email ...

http://www.rollingstone.com/services/contactus (http://www.rollingstone.com/services/contactus)

The mailing address is on the page as well.

UndertheWire
02-14-2016, 12:54 PM
You're probably right that there will be no Glenn Frey special but I could see there being an Eagles special, especially if it was formerly announced that they wouldn't be continuing.

shunlvswx
02-14-2016, 03:33 PM
I did send an email to RS.