PDA

View Full Version : Glenn in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

Freypower
02-14-2016, 06:31 PM
First of all, I can't agree that Glenn was unknown outside of his fan base - at least, not in the U.S. Because of the low public profile he maintained, he may not have had widespread physical recognition; however, his name was widely recognizable. I believe most Americans over the age of 35 or 40 know who Glenn Frey was. But, to me, that is irrelevant to his legacy and Rolling Stone should recognize that.

I sure hope you all are right about RS doing a belated cover story or special edition tribute for Glenn even though I'm still a little skeptical. I'd be happy to be wrong about this though.

I would encourage Borderers to send an email or letter to the editor and encourage them to do so. I suspect that the more folks they hear from, the more likely it would be to happen. I posted this earlier, but here is the link if you want to send an email ...

http://www.rollingstone.com/services/contactus (http://www.rollingstone.com/services/contactus)

The mailing address is on the page as well.

My words were 'not that well known', not 'unknown'.

I don't recall any tributes to bands which have broken up in Rolling Stone before. They break up & that's it. Any tribute should be about Glenn himself at this stage, at least that is how I see it.

Ive always been a dreamer
02-15-2016, 12:06 PM
My words were 'not that well known', not 'unknown'.

Well, it's just semantics anyway, FP. Even if I were to change my post to say 'not that well known', it wouldn't change the point I was trying to make that Rolling Stones' criteria for giving Glenn a cover story shouldn't be based on how well known or popular he was, but rather that he was an American music icon.

MaryCalifornia
02-15-2016, 02:44 PM
To me, the fact that RS had a "personal" relationship with the Eagles, to the extent of playing a very public softball game against the band at the height of the band's celebrity merits special attention to Glenn. I think RS needs to do some self-reflection and analysis regarding its relationship with Glenn and the band, and the band's legacy, and then write about that. I don't know if there are any other acts with which RS had such a public beef.

02-15-2016, 03:09 PM
ITA, MC. You make an excellent point and should put that in a letter to the editor.

Freypower
02-15-2016, 05:08 PM
Dreamer -of course you are correct & I'm sorry that I resorted to semantics.

MC - you make a very valid point but if they did what you suggest it would all be about Rolling Stone. For the most part they don't do self-analysis.They carry on in their merry way pretending that Bruce Springsteen & U2 are the only musical acts that are finally of any importance. They won't come down & say they were wrong about Glenn & the Eagles so soon after they had to issue a major apology over the 'rape on campus' story.

The problem was because he was in a band & as we very well know he ended up not singing many songs, and then his solo career was variable in terms of success, they probably think they've done enough. The fact that his band was the biggest selling American band of all time means nothing to them. Their attitude to Led Zeppelin was similar.

GlennLover
02-15-2016, 05:56 PM
I got this in a Google alert. It's from the Naples News. It's an article about what pro golfers are doing before the next PGA championship event. http://www.naplesnews.com/sports/golf/2016-chubb-classic-notebook-golfers-making-plans-with-a-month-before-next-pga-tour-champions-event-2-368784471.html

The relevant part is: "Andrade will make a special trip to Los Angeles next week to deliver a eulogy at the memorial service for Glenn Frey of the Eagles."

Are they letting the cat out of the bag?

AlreadyGone95
02-16-2016, 02:20 AM
I posted this in the gone, but not forgotten thread. It's an interview with Irving, in which he states that the memorial service will be private.

http://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=299669

The relevant information:

What are the plans for the memorial service?

It will be private. He was beloved by so many—and I don’t mean just industry people. He did so much and he was a regular guy so it will have to be done knowing that we have to accommodate a lot of people. Cindy wants it planned far enough in advance so that his many friends have time to travel and plan for it. Nothing set yet, but in progress.

GlennLover
02-16-2016, 10:24 AM
I didn't mean to suggest that it wasn't going to be private, just that if it is, that info shoul have not been mentioned in the article.

02-16-2016, 11:44 AM
Good eye, GL - that was an interesting comment. I was actually thinking that Glenn's memorial service may be this week since there were so many people in L.A. already for the Grammys. But then again, Glenn had so many other friends outside of the music industry that maybe they wanted the dust to settle before the service. Who knows - I'm just hoping that there will eventually be a public memorial of some sort for us fans.

AlreadyGone95
02-22-2016, 12:13 PM
I think that this is a list of "underrated Glenn Frey songs" that most of us would agree with.
http://somethingelsereviews.com/2016/02/21/essentials-eagles-glenn-frey-gimme-five/

02-22-2016, 12:28 PM
AG - Thanks for posting this although I appreciate the writer's sentiment, I can't honestly say I agree with these choices as Glenn's five most underrated songs. The writer totally ignores the Strange Weather album, which, IMHO, is his most underrated work of all. The biggest problem here is that it is almost impossible to do justice to Glenn's career by narrowing his underrated songs down to just five picks. Therehere are so many more that I could probably easily come up with at least 20 songs and probably still wouldn't do him justice.

UndertheWire
02-22-2016, 12:31 PM
I thought it was a pretty good list, but maybe that's because "I Volunteer" and "Here's to Life" are two of my favourites and it's so good to see a list that goes beyond "The Heat is On" for his solo work.

AlreadyGone95
02-22-2016, 12:33 PM
AG - Thanks for posting this although I appreciate the writer's sentiment, I can't honestly say I agree with these choices as Glenn's five most underrated songs. The writer totally ignores the Strange Weather album, which, IMHO, is his most underrated work of all. The biggest problem here is that it is almost impossible to do justice to Glenn's career by narrowing his underrated songs down to just five picks. Therehere are so many more that I could probably easily come up with at least 20 songs and probably still wouldn't do him justice.

I agree with you, Dreamer. Many of Glenn's best songs flew and continue to fly under the radar. 5 songs (10 with the honorable mentions) is a too few songs, but I'm just glad to see a list of Glenn songs that are truly underrated. Apart from NKIT, I don't that many casual fans would be familiar with these songs.

UndertheWire
02-22-2016, 12:55 PM
I believe I have the answer to the lack of a tribute magazine for Glenn. Just as they formed their own record, merchandising, promotional and whetever companies, the Eagle corporation could put together their own magazine. They'd have editorial control, access to photos and do Glenn justice. The only problem is how many years we'd have to wait!

Freypower
02-22-2016, 04:45 PM
I agree that Here's To Life is underrated, though it is my favourite track from that album. People might remember me trying to make a case for NKIT being underrated. It is. So often when the HC album is discussed it seems to be overlooked, although for me it is the greatest Eagles song ever.

JanetteG
02-23-2016, 02:19 AM
I agree with the disappointment some have expressed here at the lack of proper tribute in some of the music press. As a free-lance journalist who has written for music publications and national newspapers, I have to say that getting anything beyond the most superficial coverage on any subject is becoming increasingly difficult.

I wrote a tribute to Glenn that took a look at how much someone we do not know can touch our lives and how deeply we can feel their loss. The Mail in the UK expressed an interest in the piece but then sat on it for weeks before deciding that it was no longer current. Another major magazine in the UK said they found the tribute deeply moving and thoughtful but that they could not run it because they were saturated with submissions on other subjects....I wanted to ask how many of those other subjects had touched as many people at such a deep level. Anyway, that gives some idea of the frustration that even an established writer can experience when trying to place a feature that I think many, many people would have wanted to read. There again, the day after Glenn's death The Guardian ran a (to my mind disgraceful) piece saying "sad he's dead but the Eagles were a rubbish band."
So provocation and controversy and a bit of spite seem to be the order of the day,
alas. I posted my tribute on one of my blogs. I've already put the link on a couple of other threads here but in case you missed it http://janettegriffithsonwagner.blogspot.ca

02-23-2016, 11:35 AM
So provocation and controversy and a bit of spite seem to be the order of the day,

This seems to be sad, but true. To me, this is definitely one of the downsides of the internet. It allows people to hide behind their computer screen instead of having to communicate with others face-to-face. I'm pretty sure that most of the vicious remarks that you read on social media sites would never be said to someone in person. I find it very sad that our culture is developing such a mean-spirited mentality towards one another these days. I guess Glenn wasn't salacious enough to get more media coverage - after all Kanye West hating on Taylor Swift is far more important than the death of a music legend, isn't it?

UndertheWire
02-23-2016, 12:54 PM
Did you read Wade Biery's rant (http://www.stillmusic.com/?p=1882) against the other trashy blog from The Guardian?

Taylor Swift's acceptance speech impressed me.

02-23-2016, 01:01 PM
Thanks for finding that, UTW.

And 'you go' Wade!!!

AlreadyGone95
02-23-2016, 01:07 PM
:applause::applause:. My hat's off to Wade Biery after reading that.

I hate seeing how hateful and disrespectful, we as the human race can be.

Momma Tee
02-24-2016, 12:32 AM
There are a couple of GREAT articles on medium.com. It's a website for writers....just search on Glenn Frey. There are two really interesting articles that pay respect to Glenn and his impact on music and our lives! It makes me happy when I hear other people recognize what we've known all along!

Momma Tee
02-24-2016, 12:46 AM
I agree with the disappointment some have expressed here at the lack of proper tribute in some of the music press. As a free-lance journalist who has written for music publications and national newspapers, I have to say that getting anything beyond the most superficial coverage on any subject is becoming increasingly difficult.

I wrote a tribute to Glenn that took a look at how much someone we do not know can touch our lives and how deeply we can feel their loss. The Mail in the UK expressed an interest in the piece but then sat on it for weeks before deciding that it was no longer current. Another major magazine in the UK said they found the tribute deeply moving and thoughtful but that they could not run it because they were saturated with submissions on other subjects....I wanted to ask how many of those other subjects had touched as many people at such a deep level. Anyway, that gives some idea of the frustration that even an established writer can experience when trying to place a feature that I think many, many people would have wanted to read. There again, the day after Glenn's death The Guardian ran a (to my mind disgraceful) piece saying "sad he's dead but the Eagles were a rubbish band."
alas. I posted my tribute on one of my blogs. I've already put the link on a couple of other threads here but in case you missed it http://janettegriffithsonwagner.blogspot.ca

Thank you so much for sharing your article! You captured my thoughts & feelings perfectly! I'm sure that there are countless fans who hold membership in our special club. ;) I've been perplexed at my obsession and desire to just pretend it isn't real. Between the constant music and DVDs, I've been able to live in my little bubble called denial. I'm not ready to face the truth, so I'll just stay put for now where I'm happy singing along and everything still feels right in the world.

Brooke
02-24-2016, 11:12 AM
Did you read Wade Biery's rant (http://www.stillmusic.com/?p=1882) against the other trashy blog from The Guardian?

Taylor Swift's acceptance speech impressed me.

Thanks UtW! That was right on! :applause:

DivineDon
02-24-2016, 11:38 AM
http://janettegriffithsonwagner.blogspot.ca

You encapsulated perfectly what we are all feeling, JanetteG in your beautiful eulogy to Glenn. While I am a Don devotee I have been really surprised at how bereft I feel at Glenn's death for all the reasons you articulated. I didn't go to California (unfortunately!) and am slightly younger but I still feel the Eagles have enriched my life. Over the last couple of years I have suffered health problems and bereavement and without their music and my love for them I don't know how I would have got through it all...but their music is 'Everliving' - the future is prior to the past and makes the present possible.

Thank you.

JanetteG
02-28-2016, 03:53 PM
Thank you so much for sharing your article! You captured my thoughts & feelings perfectly! I'm sure that there are countless fans who hold membership in our special club. ;) I've been perplexed at my obsession and desire to just pretend it isn't real. Between the constant music and DVDs, I've been able to live in my little bubble called denial. I'm not ready to face the truth, so I'll just stay put for now where I'm happy singing along and everything still feels right in the world.

Sorry for the late reply. What I am noticing is how many people express how surprised/perplexed they are at their reaction to Glenn's death. Enjoy your music and DVDs. I'm guessing some more stuff might pop up on Youtube now. Last night I saw some Seattle live stuff from 77 (?) that I had missed before. Warmest wishes.

JanetteG
02-28-2016, 03:59 PM
You encapsulated perfectly what we are all feeling, JanetteG in your beautiful eulogy to Glenn. While I am a Don devotee I have been really surprised at how bereft I feel at Glenn's death for all the reasons you articulated. I didn't go to California (unfortunately!) and am slightly younger but I still feel the Eagles have enriched my life. Over the last couple of years I have suffered health problems and bereavement and without their music and my love for them I don't know how I would have got through it all...but their music is 'Everliving' - the future is prior to the past and makes the present possible.

Thank you.

Thank you for your kind words. Music is so powerful and healing . At first Glenn's music was tough to listen to but that will change with time. Because I don't want to repeat myself on several threads I will post a few more thoughts - probably on the "Gone but not forgotten" or "Remembering Glenn" threads. Warmest wishes.

GlennLover
03-03-2016, 07:23 AM
Does anybody subscribe to this magazine? http://www.clashmusic.com/news/elton-john-is-the-third-face-of-clash-100

It is a new interview with Elton John in which he talks about Glenn.
In a poignant and passionate interview that covers his thoughts on Kanye West, David Bowie, Glenn Frey, James Blake, and Justin Bieber, Elton also discusses the creative freedom he currently enjoys, and the guiding light of fatherhood that inspires him.

Elizasong
03-03-2016, 08:59 AM
Does anybody subscribe to this magazine? http://www.clashmusic.com/news/elton-john-is-the-third-face-of-clash-100

It is a new interview with Elton John in which he talks about Glenn.

I'm going to see if they sell it in Barnes & Noble.

AlreadyGone95
03-03-2016, 09:00 AM
I'll check Books a million for it this afternoon.

UndertheWire
03-03-2016, 09:54 AM
It's a UK magazine. If I get a chance, I'll look in the big newsagent in town tomorrow. From something I read a little while ago, Elton John saw Longbranch Pennywhistle open for The Dillards at The Troubadour a day or two before he made his own debut there.

ETA: (Not the Clash story)

The artist now known as Sir Elton John had flown into L.A. five days earlier, and was met at the airport by an English double-decker bus with a banner on it that read “Elton John has arrived.” That evening the artist visited the club he was going to play and saw the bluegrass band The Dillards with the duo Longbranch Pennywhistle – future Eagle Glenn Frey and J.D. Souther – opening. Over the next few days he would go shopping at the famed Tower Records store on Sunset Boulevard, visit Disneyland, and be introduced to his labelmate Neil Diamond.
http://bestclassicbands.com/august-25-1970-elton-john-plays-first-u-s-gig-8-25-15/

GlennLover
03-03-2016, 11:23 AM
Thanks for checking guys. As a big Elton John fan I'm particularly interested to see what Elton had to say about Glenn.

AlreadyGone95
03-03-2016, 04:33 PM
Books a million has some British music magazines, but not the Clash. Sorry.

UndertheWire
03-04-2016, 07:25 AM
I didn't find it, either. It might be too early to find it in shops or it might not be widely distributed.

The is a short tribute in the April issue of Uncut. Maybe just over a page with new quotes from JD Souther and Don Felder. It was almost worth buying out of amazement at Felder's comments. It seems that most of the time, working with Glenn was "delightful". .

AlreadyGone95
03-04-2016, 07:57 AM
(Don't know where exactly to post this. Since it is about the press, here seems to be the best place)

Does anyone know if stores (ie: Books a Million or Barnes and Noble) keep old unsold issues of Rolling Stone? I want to get the one with the Glenn tribute (the Chris Martin cover one), but I've only seen the new issue with Donald Trump on the cover. I tried buying it online, but I accidentally bought a digital only copy. :brickwall: I don't want a subscription to them, just the single issue.

buffyfan145
03-04-2016, 10:57 AM
AG, I'm not sure if RS operates the same as Entertainment Weekly but EW used to/might still have an option on their web site where you could go back and buy older issues that I think was up to 6 months or a year old. I'm not sure if this was a subscribers option, as I've been an EW subscriber for years so I knew of it, or if it was open to anyone.

I saw about the Elton John interview too and would love to read that as well.

UndertheWire
03-04-2016, 11:58 AM
AG, try Ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=&_osacat=280&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xrolling+s tone+chris+martin.TRS0&_nkw=rolling+stone+chris+martin&_sacat=280

AlreadyGone95
03-04-2016, 01:16 PM
AG, try Ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=&_osacat=280&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xrolling+s tone+chris+martin.TRS0&_nkw=rolling+stone+chris+martin&_sacat=280

Thanks UtW. I bought a copy from there for a reasonable price.

Jack Tempchin talks about Glenn and songwriting in this article for the new edition of American Songwriter.
http://americansongwriter.com/2016/03/jack-tempchin-and-glenn-frey/

03-04-2016, 01:49 PM
Thanks AG - Here is the text of the article ...

http://americansongwriter.com/2016/03/jack-tempchin-and-glenn-frey/

Jack Temchin, Who Wrote “Peaceful Easy Feeling,” Looks Back On His Partnership with Glenn Frey

The Eagles' recording of "Peaceful Easy Feeling" forever forged Tempchin’s path as a songwriter

American Songwriter
Written By Paul Zollo // March 4, 2016

Jack Tempchin met Glenn Frey before he was famous. When Frey put together his band, The Eagles, they recorded Tempchin’s “Peaceful Easy Feeling,” and forever forged Jack’s path as a songwriter.

When The Eagles recorded Tempchin’s “Already Gone,” another song was plucked from obscurity and became an unlikely hit. Something about Frey’s voice, wrapped in those amazing Eagles harmonies, on Tempchin’s words and music, was both haunting and inviting. So when The Eagles broke up, he turned to Tempchin to co-write solo material, including the decade-defining “You Belong To The City,” composed for “Miami Vice,” as well as “Smuggler’s Blues,” “The One You Love,” “I Found Somebody” and “True Love.”

Born in Ohio, Tempchin was raised in San Diego, where he had a big house by Balboa Park – with a candle factory in its garage – that became a beloved hippie crash pad. Frey, who was in a duo then with J.D. Souther called Longbranch Pennywhistle, spent the night at Tempchin’s house. Tempchin played them “Peaceful Easy Feeling,” and Frey loved it so much he taped it. The next day Frey told him he had a new band that had been together eight days, and they wanted to record the song. Tempchin’s reaction: ““Whoa, yeah!”

Tempchin wrote “Peaceful Easy Feeling” during a gig in El Centro. “The waitress I was gonna take home changed her mind,” he says. “So I just picked up my guitar and wrote some really stupid lyrics. You have to write a lot of really bad stuff before you come up with good stuff. I was falling in love with every woman I saw, even from a distance and put them into the song. I wrote the final verse at the Weinerschnitzel on Washington Avenue waiting for a Polish hot dog. If you were a woman in San Diego around that time, you could be in this song. But you’d never know.”

Frey and The Eagles went to England to record the first album. When they came back, Frey played it for Tempchin who was overwhelmed: “I told him it was the best thing I had ever heard! I had heard Glenn play solo, but I had no idea he was such a great arranger, and harmony singer … I felt it was the best album ever.”

Asked why he wasn’t in The Eagles, he said, “Because I wasn’t good enough.” As for “Peaceful,” he never expected it to be a hit: “It is not a normal love song. But the Eagles, with their arrangement, breathed all this life into it. I remember when Glenn first heard it, he suggested I make it a little more vague, so more people could relate to it.”

It was with his pal Robb Strandlund that Tempchin wrote a country song that became a pop hit: “We got drunk in a back room in a coffee house at San Diego State,” remembered Jack, “and wrote ‘Already Gone.’ In about fifteen minutes. It just kind of came right out.”

When it came time for the third Eagles album, Frey turned again to Tempchin for material. He called and said, “You know that country song? I think we want to make it a rock song.” That was “Already Gone.” As Tempchin recalled, “I thought this is gonna be a piece of cake, this songwriting thing! Glenn and I called our songwriting method ‘El Blurto.’ Just blurt out anything. Then type it up.”

“You Belong To The City” was blurted out when Tempchin and Frey were sent a tape of a new TV show called “Miami Vice.” “The sax,” he said, “the whole feel, was inspired by the style and vibe of that show. We wrote it quickly.”

His biggest non-Eagles hit is “Swaying To The Music (Slow Dancing).” Recorded first by his own band The Funky Kings, which also featured Jules Shear, it later became a hit for Johnny Rivers. It was born at a San Diego club upon recognition that people waited for the slow dance, so as to get close to the girl they loved: “I thought, there needs to be a slow dancing song. And also I was just falling in love with the woman who became my wife, and it all ended up as ‘Slow Dancing.’”

Johnny Rivers heard the Funky Kings version on the radio, and discovering it was not a hit yet, recorded it and made it a hit: “[Johnny] has a way of interpreting a song where you don’t think he’s a great singer, you just think, ‘Wow, that is a great song.’”

Besides writing classic songs for and with others, Tempchin continues to seriously write ones for his own, and his most recent album is Learning To Dance, filled with beautifully crafted and inspired songs.
“There’s really nothing in the world like songwriting,” he said. “It has given me this wonderful life. To spend your days writing songs that the world can share, that is a good life. And, to this day, there’s nothing I love more than being in my car and listening to what I call Jack radio, all my demos and recordings of my songs. I never get tired of hearing them.”

Asked how he first started writing songs, he said, “I heard a Bob Dylan album at a party. Everyone was saying, ‘Nawww – that guy sounds funny!’ And I thought, ‘Whoa – that’s it.’ So I tried to be Bob Dylan over and over again in my life. And it always never worked. ‘Cause I am not him.”

buffyfan145
03-04-2016, 05:15 PM
Love the article with Jack and getting to know more about him, like the Ohio connection, and the backstories on the songs. :D

Freypower
03-04-2016, 07:07 PM
(Don't know where exactly to post this. Since it is about the press, here seems to be the best place)

Does anyone know if stores (ie: Books a Million or Barnes and Noble) keep old unsold issues of Rolling Stone? I want to get the one with the Glenn tribute (the Chris Martin cover one), but I've only seen the new issue with Donald Trump on the cover. I tried buying it online, but I accidentally bought a digital only copy. :brickwall: I don't want a subscription to them, just the single issue.

Glenn's tribute is in the David Bowie issue, not the Chris Martin issue. That is the Bowie issue with the monochrome cover, not the special edition on Bowie.

I don't know if non-subscribers can buy older issues but I have to tell you, it is only four pages & it is just the Cameron Crowe article you would have read on here plus a one page account of the events leading up to his death.

AlreadyGone95
03-05-2016, 01:20 AM
Glenn's tribute is in the David Bowie issue, not the Chris Martin issue. That is the Bowie issue with the monochrome cover, not the special edition on Bowie.

I don't know if non-subscribers can buy older issues but I have to tell you, it is only four pages & it is just the Cameron Crowe article you would have read on here plus a one page account of the events leading up to his death.

Crap. Well, I can't cancel my order now as it's already been shipped. I'm the kind of person who likes to have a physical copy of things, so that's why it's worth it to me. I did find that Bowie one for cheap on Evay as well. I just wish that I hadn't gotten the issues mixed up. Thanks for pointing that out, FP.

AlreadyGone95
03-06-2016, 12:21 PM
I got this in a Google alert yesterday. I haven't had time to listen to interview to see what year it's from. (Judging from the photo, I'd say 2013). Sorry if it's been posted before.
https://audioboom.com/boos/4264771-glenn-frey-interview

GlennLover
03-06-2016, 12:31 PM
Thanks AG95. I don't think that I have heard that one before.

03-06-2016, 01:38 PM
Yeah - thanks AG. It's an After Hours promo interview from 2012 most likely. I don't remember hearing it before either, although my memory sure ain't what it used to be.

UndertheWire
03-06-2016, 03:54 PM
I hadn't heard it before and I feel like I've tried all the links posted here that are still live. It was for After Hours. Maybe nothing particularly new but I love to hear him talk. On radio interviews, he sounds so relaxed and warm, especially if they're for his solo projects.

UndertheWire
03-11-2016, 02:30 PM
The April issue of Mojo has a page on Glenn that benefits from an interview in 1985. I've extracted the new(ish) bits and included the comment on his solo career because it's rare to see it acknowledged.

January 18
It's April 4,1985, and Glenn Frey's in London at the BBC. He's here to do
his Beverly Hills Cop hit, The Heat Is On, on Top Of The Pops. He asks for
a beer and when they tell him the Beeb serves no alcohol until after
showtime, he just laughs, no diva fit, accepting a Coke can with a smile.
I'd been interviewing him and when I asked what he would say about
himself, he answered, "I don't know: that I'm a nice guy? That I'm really not a laid-back Southern California country-rock kind of guy." He looks like
a cast member of The Sopranos dressed for a part in Miami Vice. "I
don't see myself as 'a star' at all. I guess you could say I'm an entertainer. But I'm a songwriter first and foremost. Writing is my first love and what's most important to me."
If the critics hated them, theydidn't much like each other either. "It was the same with every record we made," Frey said. "By the time we finished, I'd walk out of the studio and get on the plane and say, I'm never going to do this again, no matter what." By Eagles Live (1980), the final album under their contract, Frey had quit, refused to speak to his bandmates and worked on his parts separately. The album famously credits five lawyers.

Frey's '80s solo career, if not as dizzying as Eagles', was a success:
soundtrack songs for Beverly Hills Cop, Ghostbusters II and Thelma & Louise.

In 1985, Miami Vice based an entire episode on his hit Smuggler's Blues,
and Frey made his acting debut playing a junkie pilot. A handful of TV
and film roles followed, including the starring role in the 1993 detective
series South Of Sunset, cancelled after one episode.

"It's one of those things," said Frey, ..."Like McCartney will always be a Beatle, I'll be an Eagle all my life."

03-12-2016, 01:40 PM
Thanks so much, UTW. I enjoyed reading that.

sodascouts
03-12-2016, 11:05 PM
I enjoyed it, too. The "no beer until after showtime" bit made me laugh. Thanks!

Glennhoney
03-13-2016, 10:34 AM
..loved it..thank you..:thumbsup:

Glennsallnighter
03-14-2016, 07:10 PM
Thanks UTW. I loved that. What a guy our Glenn :heart: was.

OntheBorder74
03-15-2016, 04:02 PM
Just wondering how was the rolling stone article on Glenn?
And also for someone living in the UK dose anyone recommend buying any particular magazine for its tribute to Glenn?

Freypower
03-15-2016, 04:31 PM
Just wondering how was the rolling stone article on Glenn?
And also for someone living in the UK dose anyone recommend buying any particular magazine for its tribute to Glenn?

The Rolling Stone article was the Cameron Crowe article:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/remembering-glenn-frey-cameron-crowe-on-eagles-teen-king-20160121

Plus they had a page listing the events leading up to his death.

For British magazines I have looked at Mojo, Uncut & Q. Mojo & Uncut had one page each. Q as far as I could tell had nothing.

chaim
04-01-2016, 12:51 PM
Just saw some guitar magazine in a local store and it had Glenn on the cover. It was very nice that he was on the cover, but I was a bit disappointed in the article. :-( The writer obviously didn't know much about Glenn as he gave the impression that Glenn was mostly an acoustic guitar player who played only a couple of solos on record. The writer mentioned three songs as an example of Glenn's acoustic playing and Witchy Woman was one of them. I'm 99,99% certain it's Bernie playing the acoustic part in that song.

The writer also said that it seems that Glenn played a bit of lead on Already Gone too, like it was a bit of a mystery and surprising. :stunned: He wrote that Glenn didn't play lead live in that song. Well, he certainly did, although not on every tour. The article was about the guitar playing in the Eagles and not specifically about Glenn, but I still wish he had his facts straight. And what about Too Many Hands, where Glenn (IMO) buries Don Felder? What about his guitar harmonies? His solos on the albums before Don F joined? What about his solo stuff where he usually played most of the guitars? I'm still waiting for a well done Glenn the guitarist tribute. :smile:

Freypower
04-01-2016, 04:57 PM
Just saw some guitar magazine in a local store and it had Glenn on the cover. It was very nice that he was on the cover, but I was a bit disappointed in the article. :-( The writer obviously didn't know much about Glenn as he gave the impression that Glenn was mostly an acoustic guitar player who played only a couple of solos on record. The writer mentioned three songs as an example of Glenn's acoustic playing and Witchy Woman was one of them. I'm 99,99% certain it's Bernie playing the acoustic part in that song.

The writer also said that it seems that Glenn played a bit of lead on Already Gone too, like it was a bit of a mystery and surprising. :stunned: He wrote that Glenn didn't play lead live in that song. Well, he certainly did, although not on every tour. The article was about the guitar playing in the Eagles and not specifically about Glenn, but I still wish he had his facts straight. And what about Too Many Hands, where Glenn (IMO) buries Don Felder? What about his guitar harmonies? His solos on the albums before Don F joined? What about his solo stuff where he usually played most of the guitars? I'm still waiting for a well done Glenn the guitarist tribute. :smile:

Thanks, Toni. Sadly it may take a while before Glenn's solo work receives any recognition. You are waiting for a tribute to him as a guitarist - I am still waiting for a proper tribute to his vocals.

chaim
04-02-2016, 01:10 AM
Thanks, Toni. Sadly it may take a while before Glenn's solo work receives any recognition. You are waiting for a tribute to him as a guitarist - I am still waiting for a proper tribute to his vocals.

Glenn isn't recognized as a vocalist, but it's interesting that I have two people in my family who (unlike you and I) are not emotionally attached to Glenn, but still seem to prefer his vocals. As you may recall, I have said that although my father likes Don's singing, it's Glenn's voice that makes Eagles the Eagles for him. My sister isn't a die hard fan - she only has One Of These Nights, I think - but she has specifically mentioned Lying Eyes (including the voice of the singer, if I remember correctly) as a song she loves.

I think it's possible that many people who know only a handful of Eagles songs love Glenn's singing, but they don't know it since Don is more well known among the masses. Maybe some have just "bought the story" that Don is the singer in the band.

EDIT:

This is the magazine I was talking about: https://pocketmags.com/viewmagazine.aspx?catid=1037&category=Music&subcatid=232&subcategory=Practical+%26+Playing&titleid=2257&title=Guitar+Techniques

FWIW
04-02-2016, 10:48 AM
... I think it's possible that many people who know only a handful of Eagles songs love Glenn's singing, but they don't know it since Don is more well known among the masses. Maybe some have just "bought the story" that Don is the singer in the band.
I agree that Don is the more well known among the masses. Probably Hotel California is largely responsible for that perception. Fortunately the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences knows better. Of the 6 Grammys the Eagles won, 4 are related to the vocals and guess who sings lead?

I agree with your father, Chaim. For me, the best Eagles harmonies all feature Glenn on lead vocal. I certainly won't argue with the Grammy selections -- Lyin' Eyes, New Kid In Town, Heartache Tonight, and How Long are perfection!!

sodascouts
04-02-2016, 10:56 AM
Agreed. I'm glad they recognized Glenn's talent, but it's a shame they can't get it right.

I was always more drawn to Glenn's vocals too... even he himself didn't seem to realize how many people preferred his singing.

04-02-2016, 04:11 PM
I agree with these last few comments about Glenn's talents being so underappreciated by the general public. Unfortunately, I think the band and, Glenn in particular, are largely responsible for these misconceptions. In the early 70's, Glenn was considered the primary 'voice' of the band. Then, starting with Hotel California, of course, Don took over most of vocal leads. This lead to the public perception that Don was the band's 'voice'. Glenn believed this was the right thing for the band at that time. And then, the band broke up leaving this perception intact. Here is what I believe ...

Then, came the 80's and Don's successful solo career, which perpetuated the notion that Don was the better singer, and, again, was further perpetuated when the band first reunited at the beginning of HFO. Eventually, they came to realize that their fans loved both 'voices' of the band and that was one of their biggest strengths. However, by the time this happened, it was pretty well ingrained in the public psyche that Don was the band's voice and leader. To this day, many folks still have no idea about Glenn's invaluable contributions to the Eagles. And I don't really believe Glenn was particularly interested in setting the record straight. What he seemed to care most about was preserving the band's legacy and the quality of the Eagles catalog - not who sang or wrote the songs.

I've often wondered how the band would have evolved if they hadn't broken up and how long it would have taken them to realize that there is strength in numbers - and that two great voices are better than one almost anytime?

Dawn
04-04-2016, 11:29 PM
Glenn Frey Details His Detroit Years

This is an interview by Detroit Free Press music writer Brian McCollum that was originally published in 2003.

Large portions of this interview have never been published and are being unveiled here in the wake of Frey's death Monday at age 67.

----------------

Click on link below to read the extended version of the interview - it's fantastic!

http://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/music/2016/01/19/glenn-frey-detroit-years-free-press-interview/78987916/

AlreadyGone95
04-05-2016, 02:19 AM
That article about his Detroit years is great. It's worth many reads.

I agree that Glenn's talents are underrated and underappreciated by non hardcore fans. I can speak from experience because before May 2015, I knew who Don Henley was, but I only vaguely knew of Glenn, and I couldn't even pronounce his name correctly. :lol:. Sadly, I don't think his talents will ever get the credit and recognition they deserve. Even in death, he was over shadowed by someone, David Bowie. (No offense meant to David)

I got this in a Google alert. I debated whether or not to post it because I wasn't sure if it was appropriate or even worth posting. (Soda or Dreamer, if it isn't, I'll delete the link.) Two of Glenn's properties have gone up for sell, and the LA Times has a short article.
http://www.latimes.com/business/realestate/hot-property/la-fi-hotprop-glenn-frey-la-quinta-20160404-story.html

sodascouts
04-05-2016, 07:22 AM
Glenn Frey Details His Detroit Years

This is an interview by Detroit Free Press music writer Brian McCollum that was originally published in 2003.

Large portions of this interview have never been published and are being unveiled here in the wake of Frey's death Monday at age 67.

----------------

Click on link below to read the extended version of the interview - it's fantastic!

http://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/music/2016/01/19/glenn-frey-detroit-years-free-press-interview/78987916/

Dawn, thanks for this. I'm off to work now but I can't wait to read it this evening.

AG, they want people to know about the properties being for sale because they want buyers. Thus, I don't see a problem with broadening its reach by posting it, although it does make me sad.

UndertheWire
04-05-2016, 08:12 AM
I find it quite touching that he bought adjacent properties - I assume one for his parents and one for himself or whoever was visiting his parents. I think I read that his father has moved to LA, so the La Quinta houses were probably no longer needed even before Glenn died.

shunlvswx
04-05-2016, 08:50 AM
As I read this, it makes me sad. Cindy is probably selling a few things since she probably doesn't need it. I wonder what other properties Glenn had. He probably left some of them in his will. I didn't know he had property on a golf course, but than again. He did love to golf.

I wonder if she's going to stay in New York or move back to California.

GlennLover
04-05-2016, 10:16 AM
His properties in Aspen are for sale as well.

UndertheWire
04-05-2016, 10:37 AM
His properties in Aspen are for sale as well.
That really does make me sad.

GlennLover
04-05-2016, 10:40 AM
That really does make me sad.

Makes me sad too. :weep:

AlreadyGone95
04-05-2016, 11:06 AM
The sadness aspect is one of the reasons why I debated about posting the listings. Those of us who've lost a close relative know what it's like to sort through their belongs and sell some or most of it. It breaks your heart, but it usually has to be done. The other reason I debated is because it just didn't "feel" right. When I scrolled through the Google Alert, I stopped dead in my tracks when I read this one. It was kind of like sticking a knife in me, another realization that Glenn is truly gone.

Now reading that his Aspen properties are for sell, makes me even sadder. I can't imagine how poor Cindy must feel doing this. :weep: :weep:

shunlvswx
04-05-2016, 11:26 AM
I just feel for Cindy right now as she sells a lot of their property at this moment. She might keep one property that Glenn probably left her or she might be downsizing since its only Otis left at home(Deacon and Taylor are probably living on their own). I wonder if Glenn left her and the children those properties or she decided to sell them. I would think money is probably not a problem since Glenn probably has her taken care of moneywise. I can understand that she's selling them.

From what I've seen in article, I know some celebrities would leave some of their property to their spouses and children and some don't, but I've never seen them sell them later.

JanetteG
04-14-2016, 06:12 AM
I am sure most of you have seen this piece that "The Guardian" dug out after Glenn's death. http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/sep/24/eagles-1974-interview-rocks-backpages-crawdaddy-magazine. It's from an old "Crawdaddy" magazine interview with Glenn back when they had just left Glyn Johns.

Did you, like me, do a doubletake as you read through it, trying to figure out why Frey, 66, was in a Howard Johnson's with his stuff in storage and about to hire Don Felder???

The notoriously hopeless sub-editors at The Grauniad (as it's known in the UK because of its plethora of typos) obviously skimmed this and thought, "hey, Glenn Frey is 66 - I know because I looked it up on Wikipedia."

I am guessing that an intern at the paper had never heard of him. Sad, but a really poor show on the part of a national newspaper.

Glennsallnighter
04-14-2016, 06:54 AM
I feel sad of course about his properties being sold, as its another confirmation that his gone. But again I'm sure that there is no question that Cindy and the family are more than well provided for either in property or financial terms. Its probably an issue of reviewing and consolidating his portfolio in order to work out the best way to invest in the future for his family. Also practical issues - Cindy may just not want to run a golf course, or may want to buy different property in the areas that they liked better suited to he needs now. Remember too that his Dad is still alive and needs to be provided for.
I just hope that the proceeds are invested wisely.

buffyfan145
05-31-2016, 04:18 PM
The interview Elton John did with Clash magazine finally got posted online and here's what he said about Glenn. He was asked about David Bowie's passing and he brought up about how he found out about Bowie and Glenn. I personally didn't know Elton knew Glenn before the Eagles formed.

You performed a special show at the Wiltern Theater in LA in January, during which you said a few words of tribute to David Bowie, and played a unique version of ‘Space Oddity’. People die every day, but if it’s an artist or someone well known, the reaction on social media can be extensive. The outpouring of grief for Bowie was just unbelievable…

Well, nobody expected it. It was like the day after his album came out. I had no idea. I knew he’d had a heart attack (in 2004), but I had no idea he was sick. I don’t think anybody did. When David [Furnish] phoned me at like three o’ clock in the morning in LA, I thought, ‘Oh my God, what’s the matter?’ I thought there was something wrong with the kids. He said, ‘I’d better let you know that David Bowie has died.’ I had to get up. I couldn’t sleep. I was shocked, I was stunned; it was the element of surprise. This album had just come out and he’d done the video, and he didn’t look ill in the video…

I’ve seen pictures of him from recently, or fairly recently, and he looked fantastic for his age. He looked great. I didn’t know he was ill. It was like, wow. Grab every day as you can. And then Glenn [Frey] died, and I knew Glenn very well from The Eagles, and from before The Eagles… I knew David to start with, but I didn’t really know him towards the end.

http://www.clashmusic.com/features/elton-john-the-sound-of-a-wonderful-new-life

shunlvswx
05-31-2016, 04:29 PM
I didn't know Elton knew Glenn either. I know Don knew Elton very well. Glenn might also saw Elton at the Troubador too when he played there.

UndertheWire
05-31-2016, 05:24 PM
When Elton and his band first arrived in LA, they went to see The Dillards at the Troubadour. The opening act was Longbranch Pennywhistle.

Freypower
05-31-2016, 06:36 PM
The Eagles supported Elton at a huge gig at Wembley Stadium in 1975 which also featured the Beach Boys & Joe Walsh.

In HOTE Don Henley states that he went to Elton's legendary show at the Troubadour in 1971.

Funk 50
06-01-2016, 05:57 AM
Can't ignore an opportunity to post a link to the TV ad for Elton's 1975 midsummer gig at Wembley Stadium, featuring both Joe Walsh and Eagles :grin:;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KldSglCoYaU

sodascouts
06-01-2016, 07:04 AM
I'm glad Elton brought up Glenn. They went way back and it seems from the statement he implies that he'd had more contact with Glenn than with David Bowie in recent years.

And oh my gosh, that ad is adorable!

NightMistBlue
06-01-2016, 08:18 AM
Hadn't you seen the ad before, Soda? I love it, I've watched it over and over! How I wish there was a document of this amazing show.

buffyfan145
06-01-2016, 09:49 AM
I saw that ad a well recently and it is adorable!!! :D I'm not that familiar with Elton's history so thanks for filling me in. I agree I like that Elton brought up Glenn too.

I just saw Vince Gill was interviewed and asked about all the musician deaths this year and sadly he has had a lot of family and friends pass away this year too. I do also like how he brought up again how the Eagles have been a huge influence on country music for over 20 years now. I do hear it in a lot of today's country and so many of the country artists I'm a fan of do credit them as an influence, as well as Vince himself.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/weekend/cover_story/vince-gill-s-songs-lead-the-way-on-new-album/article_4f2571e1-b298-52f0-b797-e3f12e8929d8.html

sodascouts
06-01-2016, 10:36 PM
No, NMB, at least not within recent memory!

buffyfan - thanks for posting that interview.

UndertheWire
06-15-2016, 09:05 AM
A couple of small insights into teenage Glenn from a book called "Detroit Rock City" by Steve Miller.

Iggy Pop: I used to hang out with Glenn Frey at the Birmingham Hideout a lot. At one point, after The Stooges had formed, we used to break up every few years. He was trying to start a band with Bob Seger, you know, he said "I'm sick of working for Bob Seger. Come on, we could start a great band", you know.
Scott Richardson: My first acid trip was fall of 1967. It was also Bob Seger's and Glenn Frey's. We all went to the aboretum at the University of Michigan - this was before SRC got going. We got it from Ed Fritch, a kind of famous character around Ann Arbor, him and Steve McCann. They hung around the bands. They weren't musicians; they were heads. Fritch went out to California and came back with a boatload of Owslet - that Sandoz acid. It was the best.

buffyfan145
06-15-2016, 09:33 AM
I had no idea Glenn and Iggy Pop knew each other as teens. Personally I wouldn't have expected it with Iggy's music. LOL

shunlvswx
06-15-2016, 10:09 AM
Me too. I was shocked. I always hear Iggy's association with David Bowie.

Iggy was only a year older than Glenn.

AlreadyGone95
06-15-2016, 11:04 AM
I'm not too surprised. Bob Seger's earlier material does have a garage rock sound to it, and that's what the Stooges' sound was, combined with punk rock. I find it very cool that they knew each other in the early days I can't picture them being in a band together, though.

sodascouts
06-16-2016, 09:01 PM
The Iggy connection is news to me, too. I love hearing these little stories!

UndertheWire
08-05-2016, 10:43 AM
Jack Tempchin talking about a future album that may have some new Frey/Tempchin songs:

In January, Tempchin is putting out an album featuring recordings of the hits he wrote for others, as well as some songs intended for other artists that were never recorded. "I'm really excited about this album," says Tempchin, who's still in the recording process. "I'm doing some of the songs just like the Glenn Frey (http://www.billboard.com/artist/302924/glenn-frey/chart) version or just like the Eagles version, and then other songs I'm doing them a little bit differently. It just depends on how I want to hear them." There will also likely be some songs he and Frey, who passed away in January, never got around to tracking. "There are a few of those, just songs I wrote with Glenn that never got recorded," he says. "So I'm going to have a couple new Glenn Frey/Jack Tempchin songs that no one's ever heard on this album, which I think will be of interest to a lot of people."
http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/7461708/songwriter-jack-tempchin-solo-album-one-more-song-eagles-glenn-frey

buffyfan145
08-05-2016, 04:26 PM
Thanks for posting UTW!!! :D That's great Jack's going to have a new album and I'm looking forward to hearing these newish songs he wrote with Glenn.

UndertheWire
09-12-2016, 06:43 AM
Today's snippet is in German. I'll include the Google translation and then explain what I think it's saying. (I tried a few other translation programs but Google is the best). It's from an interview with Harold Faltermeyer.

Der Erfolgsmensch hat gelernt, auch vermeintliche Niederlagen einzustecken. Eine brachte ihm ausgerechnet Glenn Frey, der Mitbegründer der Eagles, bei. Weil die Single „The Heat Is On“, geschrieben von Faltermeyer und Keith Forsey, ein solcher Chartsstürmer war, sollte der Interpret kalifornischen Wohlgefühls auch beim Soundtrack von „Beverly Hills Cop II“ mit von der Partie sein. „Doch im Aufnahmestudie benahm sich Glenn merkwürdig und zierte sich“, erzählt der Komponist. Irgendwann war der Star von der Bildfläche verschwunden. Über Freunde erfuhr Faltermeyer, dass Frey den Song „Shakedown“ einfach nicht mochte. Stattdessen durfte Bob Seger ran, der mit dem Song die Pole-Position der Charts erreichte. „Glenn Frey hat niemals ein Wort über den Titel verloren“, so der Herr der Filmhits.

The success man has learned to insert also alleged defeats. One brought him just Glenn Frey, co-founder of Eagles in. Because the single "The Heat Is On", written by Faltermeyer and Keith Forsey, such Charts striker was the interpreter Californian well-being also on the soundtrack of "Beverly Hills Cop II" of the party should be. "But in the recording study, Glenn behaved strangely and coy," says the composer. Eventually the star had disappeared from the scene. About friends learned Faltermeyer that Frey song "Shakedown" simply did not like. Instead allowed ran Bob Seger, who reached the pole position in the charts with the song. "Glenn Frey has never said a word about the title," the Lord of the hit movie.
(The issue he's talking about concerns "Shakedown", not "The Heat is On". )

Because "The Heat is On" was such a hit, it was thought that Glenn should also be on the soundtrack for Beverly Hills Cops II. However, in the recording studio, Glenn's behaviour was strange and reluctant and then he disappeared. Faltermeyer learned from friends that Frey simply didn't like the song, "Shakedown". Instead, it was recorded by Bob Seger and it reached #1. Glenn Frey has never said a word about this.

Sorry for such a long post for what is essentially just confirmation that the "laryngitis" that prevented Glenn from recording that song was diplomatic rather than medical.

Freypower
09-12-2016, 06:55 PM
Except that when Shakedown got to Number One Glenn rang Seger & said 'we're keeping the money in Michigan'.

UndertheWire
10-23-2016, 03:40 PM
I'm not sure where this one belongs. It's about leadership lessons to be learned by watching Glenn in the documentary.

http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/blog/2016/01/6-leadership-lessons-from-glenn-frey-the-hard.html

buffyfan145
10-27-2016, 10:07 AM
Jack Tempchin got interviewed by Rolling Stone Country (http://www.rollingstone.com/country/features/jack-tempchin-on-new-album-glenn-frey-tribute-and-eagles-classics-w446975) today and announced his Glenn Frey tribute album will be out in January. :) The album will have covers of songs he wrote with Glenn that the Eagles or Glenn recorded, but about 5 will be new ones that Glenn never got to record but co-wrote. Jack also told some stories about how he wrote some of his songs and told some nice stories about Glenn too.

Houston Baby
10-27-2016, 10:29 AM
I would LOVE for this album to be released while we are in LA in January!

Brooke
10-27-2016, 01:33 PM
That would be great! Fingers crossed!

Delilah
10-27-2016, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the article, Buffyfan. This is the first time I ever heard that Glenn loved country music. I would love to hear those tunes he co-wrote with Jack but unfortunately didn't have a chance to record.

buffyfan145
10-27-2016, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the article, Buffyfan. This is the first time I ever heard that Glenn loved country music. I would love to hear those tunes he co-wrote with Jack but unfortunately didn't have a chance to record.

You're welcome and it was first time I've heard that too. I know I've read from Don and others he liked all genres but it's the first time I've seen country referenced though it makes sense. I'm looking forward to hearing them too.

UndertheWire
10-28-2016, 02:56 PM
From the Jack Tempchin interview:

One thing about Glenn, unlike anybody else, he could somehow see and sniff out the woman's point of view to a song, like 'The One You Love' or 'Lyin' Eyes,'
Would anyone like to comment?

FreyFollower
10-28-2016, 03:59 PM
Glenn was quoted in Interview Magazine saying, "Except for a few guitar chords, everything I've learned in my life that is of any value I've learned from women."
To me, if that is your attitude, you must be actually listening to them! That would go a long way toward understanding a female point of view! You will tell a lot more personal things to someone who seems interested- and give them insights into the way you think. He took good notes!

Funk 50
10-29-2016, 06:17 AM
Thanks for posting the link buffyfan145.
I look forward to hearing some new Frey/Tempchin songs in January.

As Jack himself declares, he's not much of a singer or player so I hope, this isn't the only posthumous Frey release i get to hear.

I'm very pleased that Jack is releasing this but his level of performance is several divisions below Glenn and Eagles so I can't see it becoming one of my favourites. :neutral:

Momma Tee
10-31-2016, 12:17 AM
Found this nice article today about the Celebration of Life held at The Forum.

http://www.storytellersunplugged.com/2016/03/15/thomas-sullivan-its-your-world-now/

GlennLover
10-31-2016, 12:58 AM
Found this nice article today about the Celebration of Life held at The Forum.

http://www.storytellersunplugged.com/2016/03/15/thomas-sullivan-its-your-world-now/

The link won't work for me:sad:.

AlreadyGone95
10-31-2016, 01:17 AM
The link won't work for me:sad:.

It worked for me. I'll post the relevant part in case it doesn't work for someone else. I got tears in my eyes as I read it. :weep::-(

Q: [Newport Beach, CA]: …sorry for your loss [Glenn Frey], Sully. Another leftie creative genius is gone.

A: Left-handedness does seem to correlate or at least associate with creativity. However, Glenn was ambidextrous (which may be an even deeper association with creativity). He golfed, wrote and swung a baseball bat left but played guitar right-handed.

Q: [Many recent emails/messages ask if I was at the private memorial for Glenn Frey at The Forum in California which has been reported in the media and speculated about on fan blogs.]

A: Actually, it was styled as a celebration of Glenn’s life, and I was there. Celebration with music, celebration with stories and laughter, celebration with food – this was life lived large in the key of G(lenn). It was a little surreal, as if all walks of life had suddenly come together, as indeed they had.
No pretenses, no putting on airs, no intrusive media. The invitation said that dress was Glenn Frey standard – “Jeans and a sport coat or a damn fine suit. Players choice!” And the quality of the communication, the music, and the table, as always with Glenn and Cindy Frey, was first-class plus.
Picture DisneyWorld where the frontiers are all intermingled: one minute you’re chatting with Stevie Wonder, Don Henley or Kareem Abdul Jabbar and 15 minutes later it’s Randy Newman, Cameron Crowe or Paul Shaffer. The musical offerings culminated with a rockin’ finale that included the Eagles past and present, Bob Seger, Paul Stanley of KISS, Jackson Browne, JD Souther, and too many others to remember. But the number that got to me the most was the poignant last performance of “Desperado” – the signature song that brought Glenn and I together in the first place. I’d seen the grim and tragic (it seemed to me) presentation of that musical masterpiece the night before at the Grammys, and it suddenly struck me here at The Forum that this was the last time it would ever be performed with the remaining Eagles. There were the dimmed lights and the empty space where Glenn should have stood, and suddenly with the last fading chord the waves of shock and denial ended and I knew with crushing finality: Glenn was gone.
It’s called closure, but it’s never that. Acceptance is what it is. Acceptance and celebration, which is what I felt sharing quality time at the Frey house the next day. Accomplished and capable Cindy Frey is a beacon of positive energy and honest emotion, and the younger Freys have left nothing untapped in the gene pool. Taylor’s muse has all the fire and pz-azz of Glenn’s muse, especially in her writing; Deacon can melt the hearts and rock the socks off any audience; and Otis will charm you with his candor and zest for life. America’s future and the Frey legacy are in good hands. Maybe Glenn said it best in one of his last songs, the eerily prophetic It’s Your World Now:
“It’s your world now
Use well the time
Be part of something good
Leave something good behind
The curtain falls
I take my bow
That’s how it’s meant to be
It’s your world now…”

GlennLover
10-31-2016, 09:52 AM
Thanks, AG. I was able to find it through a Google search.

While on that page I followed the link to the post that "Sully" made shortly after Glenn's death & reread it. Another example of the impact Glenn made I The lives of people who knew him personally. Of course we all know the impact he had on his fans. He really was an extraordinary person!

buffyfan145
10-31-2016, 10:56 AM
Thanks so much for posting that MT and AG. :heart: I got emotional reading that too.

UndertheWire
10-31-2016, 12:38 PM
I believe this and many other moving comments from friends are included in our "Remembering Glenn Frey" thread. It's well worth reading again but can get emotional.

Brooke
10-31-2016, 01:13 PM
If that post is true, that tribute to Glenn sounds wonderful! Just like it should have been. For this reason, I'm thinking there may not be anything else like some were hoping for.

UndertheWire
11-02-2016, 09:35 AM
Unfortunately, the article doesn't include the photo.

The black-and-white shots were taken in Indianapolis (where Hunt was stationed as a military photojournalism instructor in his early 20s), Columbia (the hometown he returned to afterward) and Atlanta (the site of what must have been a jaw-dropper of a bill — Blondie, Tom Petty, and The Kinks in 1978). Though they’re all more than noteworthy, some of Hunt’s subjects are more legendary than others, and that’s one thing that makes this collection so interesting — the artists were at different places during this time period.

Take the image of Glenn Frey in his white T-shirt and shoulder-length hair, glancing down at his guitar. This was in 1972 at Carolina Coliseum, just after The Eagles had released their debut record and were touring in support of Yes. The idea of The Eagles opening for Yes is both funny and bizarre, but that’s not really the point. The point is the picture captures a young man whose band — for better or worse — was on course to break just about every sales record a band can break. While he might in this moment suspect that big things are on the horizon, he really doesn’t have a clue.
http://www.free-times.com/arts/feature/photography-exhibition-offers-an-up-close-view-of-rock-history/article_74146f5c-a073-11e6-8ccb-bbc2ed59173f.html

NightMistBlue
11-02-2016, 04:58 PM
I'd love to see more of David Hunt's work but his name is so common, Google doesn't turn up anything relevant [except the actress Patricia Heaton's fine looking husband David Hunt].

UndertheWire
11-02-2016, 05:57 PM
Not the photo of Glenn, but here's David Hunt's facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/davidhuntcreative/

UndertheWire
12-06-2016, 07:08 AM
Jack Tempchin talks more about his album of songs co-written with Glenn:

He’ll pay tribute to the memory of his old friend with his next record, which Tempchin is planning to release in early 2017.
“My record label had asked me to do a record of all of the hits I had written, most of which were co-writes with Glenn Frey,” he says. “I was about halfway finished with that record with Glenn’s blessing, and then he died. I’m finishing that record and turning it in right now. It’s got some songs that Glenn and I wrote that have never been recorded. It’s got a couple of those and I found a bunch more of them. So, I may do another record, because there’s nobody to do them now except me. Even though he’s not here to sing them, at least I can [do something with them]. I don’t want them to just end up being a piece of paper. The record I’m doing is going to come out probably in March. It has really all of the things that I did with Glenn, some of which I wanted to do the way we wrote them – which is the way he recorded them. Other ones, I’m doing in a completely different way. This week, I’m going to go up and record two songs with Chris Hillman and Herb Pedersen. They’re a couple of my idols of music, so I’m really thrilled to be able to do that. It’s a good project and I’m really looking forward to that coming out.”

Read More: Eagles Songwriter Jack Tempchin Returns to His Roots With New Solo Album, Preps Glenn Frey Tribute: Exclusive Interview (http://ultimateclassicrock.com/jack-tempchin-interview-2016/?trackback=tsmclip) | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/jack-tempchin-interview-2016/?trackback=tsmclip

buffyfan145
12-06-2016, 11:49 AM
Thanks UTW for that!!! :D I'm really looking forward to hearing Jack's album.

shunlvswx
12-06-2016, 03:10 PM
I wanted to post quote that Don said in an interview he did for Unitedmags.com. I posted the link in Don's thread too.

http://www.unitedmags.com/rhap-session-don-henley

When the Eagles receive Kennedy Center Honors this month, you’ll be shouldering a legacy you cocreated with Glenn Frey. What’s it going to be like to accept this award as the remaining founder of the group?

It’s a very prestigious honor, and I’m very humbled and grateful to receive it. It’s going to be bittersweet because Glenn’s not there. It’s going to be difficult. His widow is going to come and sit in his place. He was the most enthusiastic about getting this award, and he really wanted to go and to participate. We are, at least from my perspective, doing it in his honor.

From Don's quote, Glenn was soo looking forward to it last year. It just make me sad.

buffyfan145
12-22-2016, 09:53 PM
Saw "20/20" on ABC is doing a special tomorrow night at 10 pm about all of those that have died this year and Glenn will be a part of those featured. The article details more of the segments for Prince, Muhammad Ali, and others but he is listed as being talked about too.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/ABCs-2020-to-Profile-Lives-of-Legends-Notorious-Figures-Who-Passed-Away-in-2016-20161222#

sodascouts
12-23-2016, 01:38 AM
Thanks for the heads-up!

shunlvswx
12-23-2016, 07:07 PM
20/20 is doing a special on the people who died this year. Glenn is suppose to be in there, but I don't know how long they will do him.

http://krvn.com/abc_classicr/david-bowie-glenn-frey-prince-to-be-featured-on-abc-2020-episode-focusing-on-stars-who-died-in-2016-abcid35832736/

buffyfan145
12-23-2016, 10:02 PM
My latest issue of Entertainment Weekly I got today previewing things to come in 2017 also had a tribute section to all of those who died this year and I love what Bob Seger said about Glenn. He also included a lyric to a song he wrote for Glenn that's going to be on his upcoming tribute album called "Glenn's Song". :heart: I got teary eyed and loved the picture they used (it's a black & white one of him playing guitar during the "Long Run" tour that I've seen on here before), and reading all the tributes for all of those who died this year. I haven't seen it online yet but I typed up what Bob said.

"I met Glenn when he was 17 or 18. He was from Royal Oak, Mich. and I was living in the same area, a little bit north. He was very charismatic, very likable, whip-smart. He was in a group called The Mushrooms, and I wrote this song for him called "Such a Lovely Child". Then he sang on my first hit, which was called "Ramblin' Gamblin' Man". Around '79, Glenn and I started writing "Heartache Tonight" together. Glenn had the verse "Somebody's going to hurt someone before the night is through." We hadn't been sitting down for more than five minutes and I just blurted out, "There's going to be a heartache tonight!" His eyes lit up huge. Because he knew, "Oh my God, Seger and I, we finally wrote a hit together!". Later, he worked out the rest with Don Henley and J.D. Souther. So that was the song that I sang at the memorial. It's still really hard to imagine he's gone. I wrote this song about him, "Glenn's Song": "When I think about you/I always smile." For me, that's the way it was. He was always a positive force in my life, never a negative one. It's hard to replace 49 years of that."

Delilah
12-23-2016, 10:13 PM
Saw "20/20" on ABC is doing a special tomorrow night at 10 pm about all of those that have died this year and Glenn will be a part of those featured. The article details more of the segments for Prince, Muhammad Ali, and others but he is listed as being talked about too.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/ABCs-2020-to-Profile-Lives-of-Legends-Notorious-Figures-Who-Passed-Away-in-2016-20161222#

Thank you, BF145, I probably would have missed this w/o the notice (and you, too, Shun).

That was a lovely tribute from Bob Seger. The title is touching-- "Glenn's Song".

sodascouts
12-23-2016, 10:31 PM
Very moving.

sodascouts
12-23-2016, 11:20 PM
Not to be a Negative Nancy, but I really felt like they could have done more with that 20/20 segment.

Still, it's nice to see him recognized.

shunlvswx
12-23-2016, 11:28 PM
No. I agree. I really wasn't surprised that they got him what a minute and a few seconds.

But at least they did say something about him. Some media outlets don't even bring up Glenn.

Ok. I was confused about HC. I know Glenn helped write the song with Don and of course Felder, but that's not the song he's going to be remember for. A few media places has been saying that. I guess they mean that as a whole for the band.

UndertheWire
12-24-2016, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the Entertainment Weekly piece, BuffyFan. I particularly like:

"When I think about you/I always smile." For me, that's the way it was. He was always a positive force in my life, never a negative one."

sodascouts
12-24-2016, 04:19 PM
Ok. I was confused about HC. I know Glenn helped write the song with Don and of course Felder, but that's not the song he's going to be remember for. A few media places has been saying that. I guess they mean that as a whole for the band.

Yeah, they mean the band as a whole, because most media outlets are too lazy to do the research and realize that Hotel California doesn't really feature Glenn. I found that statement the lamest part of the 20/20 bit but at least his 90 seconds was better than the 3 seconds they gave some other people at the end.

shunlvswx
12-24-2016, 04:49 PM
I agree. Glenn could had gotten 5 seconds. To be included with David and Merle is a privilege I guess. I think he and David got the same amount of time. I'm glad they did bring up his solo career and started with The Heat Is On.

sodascouts
12-24-2016, 05:55 PM
ABC just had a couple seconds of Glenn on their "Year: 2016" show.

Freypower
12-24-2016, 06:17 PM
No. I agree. I really wasn't surprised that they got him what a minute and a few seconds.

But at least they did say something about him. Some media outlets don't even bring up Glenn.

It's just easier to go with the band's best known song, isn't it, rather than make any effort to acknowledge what fans would regard as more appropriate. ETA: I've just seen Soda's post above. Great minds. :weep:

It's sad but the media went mainly with Bowie/Prince & then added Cohen. Glenn is constantly overlooked. It doesn't seem fair to us but he wasn't that high profile.

I'm glad Seger called his song 'Glenn's Song'. At least he has done something.

chaim
12-26-2016, 12:12 PM
Glenn wasn't mentioned in a similar article here today. I'm not putting Prince himself down, as I have nothing but respect for him, but it irritates me how most Finns seem to think that he was so much more important than Glenn, while I'm pretty sure that songs Glenn was involved with are more familiar to them than Prince's songs. On the other hand it's not their fault. They just don't know. :brickwall:

sodascouts
12-26-2016, 12:46 PM
Agreed, chaim. I liked Prince and all, but in terms of hits, the Glenn and the Eagles had for more. They also were popular for a longer time. Prince burned bright and then faded.

I guess, like Bowie, his "bigger than life" persona made him more memorable to many. Glenn was not flashy. His icon status came from his work, not a flamboyant stage persona.

Funk 50
12-27-2016, 08:17 AM
I wouldn't call myself a Prince fan and I only like a handful of Bowie songs but I'm quite happy to acknowledge their outstanding contribution to music.

I think it's unfair to say that Prince burned bright and then faded, he released, at least, two albums, the year he died, over a dozen since the turn of the Century. He was an avid music maker. He's probably produced over a hundred great tracks but they mostly lie undiscovered as he shunned the record industry in later years.

The last Eagles show I attended, at a three day music festival , Prince headlined the following night. I enjoyed the Prince show more.

I know Glenn's great but I'm comfortable with the fact that most people don't. It's a great consolation that he is highly regarded by the people that are aware of him and, in his lifetime, he made a truck load of money doing something he loved to do.
Still, I'm sure a posthumous revival in Glenn's music would be pleasant experience. :)

Brooke
12-27-2016, 10:38 AM
Yeah, they mean the band as a whole, because most media outlets are too lazy to do the research and realize that Hotel California doesn't really feature Glenn. I found that statement the lamest part of the 20/20 bit but at least his 90 seconds was better than the 3 seconds they gave some other people at the end.

So I guess he was on in the part I missed. I saw a glimpse of him at the very end and thought that was it. Maybe I can catch it online somewhere.

shunlvswx
12-27-2016, 10:50 AM
So I guess he was on in the part I missed. I saw a glimpse of him at the very end and thought that was it. Maybe I can catch it online somewhere.

He was at the beginning. About 15 minutes into the special. They did about almost 10 minutes on Prince. Then they did a segment on some of the musicians that we lost this year. Glenn was included with David Bowie and Merle Haggard in that segment. I stopped watching after they did Glenn.

buffyfan145
12-27-2016, 10:54 AM
I've actually seen Glenn mentioned in a lot of articles about the stars we've lost this year on US sites, magazines, and shows, but again I too agree he's not getting as much coverage since he's considered more part of the Eagles and David Bowie, Prince, and now George Michael were huge solo artists. But I am glad he's getting mentioned. This year has just been crazy with how many have died in the entertainment industry and from what I've read we've never seen this many famous people go in one year.

shunlvswx
12-27-2016, 10:58 AM
As a lot of celebrities get up there in age, I think the numbers will grow in the next few years. I'm surprised Glen Campbell is still hanging on. They've been saying for months that he was in the final stages, but he's still hanging on.

Have you notice that a lot of stars who died this year either died from a heart attack or cancer.

I have seen some articles and videos online that included Glenn. As I was looking at who died this year, a few I didn't know died.

buffyfan145
12-27-2016, 05:23 PM
I've noticed that too Shun. I've even seen some science/health articles talking about how the US life expectancy actually lowered for the first time this year form 79 to 78, which hasn't gone down since sometime in the 70s/80s. Plus, celebrities usually don't seem to live as long which makes sense with all they've gone through, the stress, or things they did when they were younger that could cause long-term side effects. This whole year has been unreal and I agree with all the TV shows, movies, books, sports, and music over the past 5 decades those numbers will increase just by everyone getting older.

OutlawManNJ
12-27-2016, 10:05 PM
Anyone else pissed that Glenn gets no mention in many retrospectives...there was just one in an MSNBC spot...musically they mentioned Bowie Price Cohen and GMichael ... oh and the guy from Tribe Called Quest....not a word of Frey. One guy even mentioned the number of hits between the first three....imagine had he added Frey.

GlennLover
12-28-2016, 12:49 AM
I get a lot of Google alerts about the celebrities who have died his year that mention Glenn.

Funk 50
12-28-2016, 07:19 AM
This is a wonderful update of the Sgt Pepper cover, featuring stars we've lost in 2016. It's primarily UK focused but I was pleased to see Glenn included.

It has already been updated elsewhere, to include George Michael, Rick Parfitt, Carrie Fisher and a host of other faces, missing on the original update.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/12/sgt-peppers-artwork-updated-to-feature-all-the-legends-lost-in-2016/

Delilah
12-28-2016, 12:06 PM
Wow, that picture sure got crowded. Sad.

CNN had a "Best and Worst of 2016" and when it came to music, Glenn's name was mentioned and his photo shown along with others we lost. But that was it. Disappointing considering it was CNN. They did do a bit more on Prince and Leonard Cohen.

shunlvswx
12-28-2016, 12:47 PM
Dang. That's a lot of people who died this year. That number increase big time after that first picture was posted. They finally added Natalie too even though she died last year. I don't know half of those people in the picture.

buffyfan145
12-28-2016, 05:20 PM
That pic is so sad. :( Just been such a sad year and huge losses in the entertainment industry. I recognize a lot since a lot were actors but some I don't since it's UK based. Add in all the sports deaths too and it's so many people.

Glennsallnighter
12-30-2016, 01:49 PM
Yes I got that in an Irish Times alert too.

There's only one more RIP to do at this stage. RIP 2016!

UndertheWire
02-08-2017, 08:39 AM
I'm not sure of the best place for this.
Jack Tempchin was interviewed recently of "Art of the Song" and it's available to listen, without registration, for the next week.
http://artofthesong.org/jack-tempchin/

Jack talks about meeting and writing with Glenn. He plays a few songs from his 2016 album. They also play the Eagles version of "Peaceful Easy Feeling" and Glenn's recording of "The one you love" and a brief audio clip of Glenn taking about writing with Jack.

FreyFollower
02-08-2017, 06:29 PM
Thanks, UTW!! I enjoyed listening to that. Jack sounds like a down to earth guy who would be fun to be around. Obviously Glenn thought so!

02-08-2017, 10:13 PM
Thanks UTW. Wow - what a great find. That was fun to listen to!

sodascouts
02-08-2017, 10:37 PM
Thanks UTW. You are so great at finding gems.

UndertheWire
04-03-2017, 12:25 PM
This is an interview with Jack Tempchin and it has a few bits about how some songs were written and also Glenn's memorial.
http://www.goldminemag.com/articles/peaceful-easy-jack-tempchin

GOLDMINE: First of all, we offer our condolences on Glenn, and thank you again for the beautiful quote and the fun photo from the “No Fun Aloud” album sessions you provided for our April issue. Now let’s talk about that exciting album closer, with almost a touch of a Duran Duran beat, “Don’t Give Up,” with keyboards from Hawk Wolinski, who Midwesterners first heard on the Shadows of Knight summer of 1966 single “Bad Little Woman.”
JACK TEMPCHIN: Glenn wanted to record a song for televised sports, hoping to have “Don’t Give Up” as a theme. Hawk provided incredibly exciting keyboards at a time when MIDI recording was new. I was able to catch up with Hawk at Glenn’s memorial.
GM: At the end of side one on Glenn’s next two albums “The Allnighter” and “Soul Searchin’,” Nick DeCaro arranged the beautiful pair of songs “Lover’s Moon” and “I Did It for Your Love.”
JT: I started “Lover’s Moon” in Hawaii with a I, VI, II, V chord progression, changed the melody and kept it simple. For “I Did It for Your Love,” Glenn wanted to do a movie theme. He was sitting at the piano singing, and I wanted to be a part of that, and help give it a haunting melody. It resurfaced in the film “Joy” late last year.
GM: Also from the album “Soul Searchin’,” there is the flip side of “Livin’ Right,” the album’s title tune “Soul Searchin’” with the soulful choir.
JT: Our lives were changing. I went from being “Midnight Jack” during the sessions for “The Allnighter” to appreciating how Glenn was changing his lifestyle. It was no more “life in the fast lane.” He hired a trainer and would wake at 4:45 a.m. to head to the gym in Aspen. He said he was doing some “Soul Searchin’.” The Waters family were fantastic on the background vocals.

JT: We also had Richard Stekol. At Glenn’s memorial, Don Henley and Jackson Browne performed Richard’s “My Old Pals” from the Funky Kings album. This is another example of how wonderful the Eagles are. They can write great songs, but if they hear one they like, they share it with spiritual generosity.

I was listening to a radio chat between J R Robinson (drummer who's played on everything) and Danny Seraphine (original Chicago drummer) and they were joined by Hawk Wolinksi. They talked a little about songwriting and Hawk said about doing a little every day and keeping a notebook of titles. He referenced writer, Ray Bradbury as someone who took that approach. There was no mention of Glenn, but the wheels were turning in my head that these were people that Glenn used to hang out with. He wrote with Hawk a few times and both JR and Hawk played on his records and toured with him. Add to that, Glenn's right-hand man, Tommy Nixon is married to Ray Bradbury's daughter.

Funk 50
04-03-2017, 03:53 PM
Thanks a lot UtW.

Here's My Old Pals that Don and Jackson sang at Glenn's memorial concert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_tgmXImTWo

Jack Tempchin 1 year ago

Last night I watched Don Henley and Jackson Browne perform this song. They chose to do it at Glenn Frey's memorial service. They chose it over all their own songs. I still think that Richard Stekol song and the harmony singing by Jules Shear is one of the best things every recorded. I am proud to have been in a band with those two guys. Jack Tempchin

maryc2130
04-03-2017, 08:40 PM
Wish I could have been a fly on the wall for that one. I bet they sounded great, and it was definitely a fitting choice!

shunlvswx
04-04-2017, 09:29 AM
I've never heard of this song, but it was soo appropriate for the memorial service. I can hear Don and Jackson in my head singing this song. Harmonizing. I can hear Don doing the harmonizing and Jackson singing lead or it could be the other way around, but the high parts sounds more like Don than Jackson.

It was soo nice to hear more info about Glenn's memorial service.

maryc2130
04-04-2017, 02:49 PM
I've never heard of this song, but it was soo appropriate for the memorial service. I can hear Don and Jackson in my head singing this song. Harmonizing. I can hear Don doing the harmonizing and Jackson singing lead or it could be the other way around, but the high parts sounds more like Don than Jackson.

It was soo nice to hear more info about Glenn's memorial service.

I can hear it in my head, too, Shun. Definitely Jackson singing the melody and DH singing harmony. Must have been awesome. Wish we all could hear it!

sodascouts
04-04-2017, 07:45 PM
Interesting. That performance must have been incredibly moving.

GlennLover
04-13-2017, 09:30 AM
I got this alert this morning for an article titled:"Exotic Cars, Jay Leno and Robin Zander Give to Make-A-Wish 13 April 2017". It is about the 14th Annual Celebration Exotic Car Festival which was held in Orlando last weekend!

A tribute to Glenn is mentioned:

On Friday night, the festival put on an event held at the Hard Rock Live at Universal Studios City Walk, which sold a limited amount of tickets to the public. Cheap Trick lead singer Robin Zander and his son, Robin Taylor Zander opened the show with an acoustic set of Trick hit songs starting off with “The Flame”. “I Want You to Want Me” is classic Trick and everyone sang along. Zander did a beautiful tribute to his friend Eagle Glenn Frey, with a stellar version of “Peaceful Easy Feeling”

http://www.sarasotapost.com/great-reading/1314-exotic-cars-jay-leno-and-robin-zander-give-to-make-a-wish

sodascouts
04-13-2017, 08:02 PM
I got this alert this morning for an article titled:"Exotic Cars, Jay Leno and Robin Zander Give to Make-A-Wish 13 April 2017". It is about the 14th Annual Celebration Exotic Car Festival which was held in Orlando last weekend!

A tribute to Glenn is mentioned:

On Friday night, the festival put on an event held at the Hard Rock Live at Universal Studios City Walk, which sold a limited amount of tickets to the public. Cheap Trick lead singer Robin Zander and his son, Robin Taylor Zander opened the show with an acoustic set of Trick hit songs starting off with “The Flame”. “I Want You to Want Me” is classic Trick and everyone sang along. Zander did a beautiful tribute to his friend Eagle Glenn Frey, with a stellar version of “Peaceful Easy Feeling”

http://www.sarasotapost.com/great-reading/1314-exotic-cars-jay-leno-and-robin-zander-give-to-make-a-wish

That sounds lovely! Thanks for finding it.

GlennLover
04-27-2017, 08:08 AM
From an article I got in a Google alert:
Harry Styles had a secret friendship with Glenn Frey
APRIL 27, 2017

Harry Styles formed a secret friendship with Eagles star Glenn Frey before his death in 2016. The 23-year-old star grew close to the American singer before he passed away aged 67 in January last year, and Harry even attended his memorial service in Los Angeles alongside the likes of Stevie Wonder and Don Henley. Cameron Crowe, who interviewed Harry for Rolling Stone magazine, told The Sun newspaper: “The first time I met him was for the memorial. He was really missing his friend.” The extent of Harry’s friendship with the star was never previously known, but he did pay tribute to the Eagles singer a day after his death. In a post on Instagram, Harry wrote: “Rest in love and peace, Mr Frey.”

https://m.worldheadlines.info/2017/04/harry-styles-had-a-secret-friendship-with-glenn-frey/

UndertheWire
04-27-2017, 10:33 AM
Thanks for that. Cameron Crowe mentions it in a recent podcast for Rolling Stone. He doesn't say anything further about Glenn but he describes Harry Styles quoting from Almost Famous, "Just make us look cool" (a quote that Crowe has previously attributed to Glenn).
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/rolling-stone-music-now-podcast-cameron-crowe-on-harry-styles-w478700

sodascouts
04-27-2017, 06:16 PM
How sweet!

LuvTim
04-27-2017, 06:42 PM
That really was sweet.

NightMistBlue
04-28-2017, 09:32 AM
The full story is blocked by my computer. Irving Azoff's son manages Harry Styles.

Call me cynical and awful, but I hope Jeffrey Azoff is not just name-dropping to get some easy cred for his client.

Maybe it's the way the article was worded, "Harry even attended his memorial service in Los Angeles alongside the likes of Stevie Wonder and Don Henley" that raised my hackles. Something kinda tasteless and self-aggrandizing about that, no?

Maybe it's just me.

Delilah
04-28-2017, 01:14 PM
You could be right about the name-dropping, NMB, although I can't access the entire article for clearer context.

NightMistBlue
04-28-2017, 01:28 PM
By sheer coincidence, Harry's debut solo single has just been released and he's announced a big tour.

The Frey connection just smacks of opportunism but as I cannot emphasize enough, I am a grumpy middle-aged woman :razz:

shunlvswx
04-28-2017, 02:01 PM
If I remembered, a few of the members of One Direction have met the guys and one of them was at the Forum concert and I think I remembered they saying the Eagles were one of their influences. I could be wrong.

UndertheWire
04-28-2017, 02:31 PM
The context is that as part of the promotion for his new single and album, Harry Styles is on The Cover of the Rolling Stone (thank you Dr Hook) with Cameron Crowe writing the article. In a podcast for Rolling Stone, Crowe says that he first met Harry Styles at Glenn's memorial. I don't know if there's any more to it than that.

Harry Styles was seen at an Eagles concert with the daughter of one of Cindy Frey's friends. He's managed by Irving Azoff's son and he also attended the tribute concert at the Troubadour, presumably with the Azoffs and Cindy Frey. It certainly seems likely he would have met Glenn backstage and I can believe Glenn would enjoy talking to a young singer/songwriter about to make the move from boy band member to solo artist.

NightMistBlue
04-28-2017, 04:03 PM
Yes, I certainly can believe Glenn would be encouraging and kindly to a young musician.

buffyfan145
04-28-2017, 04:44 PM
That's great Glenn took them under his wing. :) Shun, the other member was the Irish one Niall Horan, who started his solo career last year (I know most about him since he resembles one of the "Downton Abbey" actors Allen Leech LOL). I've only liked a few of One Direction's songs but I have actually liked more of their solo stuff. I also remember a younger female singer, though can't remember her name right now, that tweeted about Glenn after he passed about him being a mentor to her too.

Witchy Woman
04-28-2017, 09:09 PM
Harry used to date Kendall Jenner, that's why he was at the Forum show. Kris Jenner is a long time friend of Cindy's. Both he and Niall have said they are huge fans of the Eagles. There are pictures floating around of Niall with Don and Timothy, and one of Harry with Sophie Henley. It's nice that Glenn was willing to mentor him.

Dawn
04-28-2017, 09:38 PM
Harry used to Kendall Jenner, that's why he was at the Forum show. Kris Jenner is a long time friend of Cindy's. Both he and Niall have said they are huge fans of the Eagles. There are pictures floating around of Niall with Don and Timothy, and one of Harry with Sophie Henley. It's nice that Glenn was willing to mentor him.

Yes, it really is nice! I think Glenn enjoyed mentoring and teaching alot - clearly his students at Steinhardt NYU appreciated and respected him very much.

“The biggest takeaway from working with Glenn was his passion for the craft of songwriting, and the work required to create a great song. This attention to detail and focus on a consistent and cohesive narrative is something that really pushed me as a writer, and I owe it to Glenn and the NYU songwriting program for this awareness. I'm so grateful to Glenn for his willingness to share his time and wisdom with us.” - Peter Wise Class of 2014

http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/news/2016/1/20/Glenn_Frey_Remembrance

chaim
05-07-2017, 11:26 AM
Oh how I'd like to have been a fly on the wall when the students analyzed NKIT in front of Glenn. I've probably mentioned this before, but I'm a melody/chord person more than a lyric person, so it would be interesting to hear what kind of musical advice/comments the students received from Glenn.

sodascouts
05-07-2017, 04:42 PM
I was able to attend his NYU masterclass and it was really fascinating, even for someone like me who isn't a songwriter. At the end, he sang "It's Your World Now" to those students out there - passing the baton to the next generation of songwriters. It was a lovely moment.

Dawn
05-07-2017, 05:27 PM
I was able to attend his NYU masterclass and it was really fascinating, even for someone like me who isn't a songwriter. At the end, he sang "It's Your World Now" to those students out there - passing the baton to the next generation of songwriters. It was a lovely moment.

Wow, what an amazing opportunity so glad you were able to attend!

NightMistBlue
05-17-2017, 11:50 AM
Sorry if this question is random but with young Deacon being in the news these days, I've wondered: was he named after the Steely Dan song "Deacon Blue"?

buffyfan145
05-17-2017, 04:28 PM
Saw this article come up on Glenn's Google Alert that there's some Eagles documentary that was made last year that will be airing on the Ovation channel called "The Long Road". They'll be airing other docs on other classic rock artists too all June. Here's the blurb from the site:

Eagles: The Long Road (2016) - Wednesday, June 7 at 8:00am ET

This documentary pays tribute to the life and career of one of the main band members, Glenn Frey. It revisits the achievements of one of the bestselling and most loved American rock bands of all time. Featuring some of their most popular tracks including "Hotel California", "New Kid in Town", "Life in the Fast Lane", "One of these Nights" and more, follow THE JOURNEY of the life of a true musical icon who will always be remembered.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/Ovation-TV-to-Present-Month-Long-Celebration-of-Classic-Rock-Legends-20170517

Freypower
05-17-2017, 06:24 PM
Sorry if this question is random but with young Deacon being in the news these days, I've wondered: was he named after the Steely Dan song "Deacon Blue"?

Yes, as far as I know.

Brooke
05-18-2017, 02:17 PM
Can't to wait to see this one and some of the others mentioned too!

Thanks for the headsup!

sodascouts
05-19-2017, 11:00 AM
Saw this article come up on Glenn's Google Alert that there's some Eagles documentary that was made last year that will be airing on the Ovation channel called "The Long Road". They'll be airing other docs on other classic rock artists too all June. Here's the blurb from the site:

Eagles: The Long Road (2016) - Wednesday, June 7 at 8:00am ET

This documentary pays tribute to the life and career of one of the main band members, Glenn Frey. It revisits the achievements of one of the bestselling and most loved American rock bands of all time. Featuring some of their most popular tracks including "Hotel California", "New Kid in Town", "Life in the Fast Lane", "One of these Nights" and more, follow THE JOURNEY of the life of a true musical icon who will always be remembered.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/Ovation-TV-to-Present-Month-Long-Celebration-of-Classic-Rock-Legends-20170517

This looks great! Thanks!

GlennLover
05-25-2017, 07:10 AM
Glenn's Mad Dog Ranch in Snowmass, Co has been purchased & revived as a recording complex: https://www.aspensojo.com/articles/2017/5/24/inside-the-revival-of-glenn-frey-s-former-compound

New Kid In Town
05-25-2017, 07:47 AM
TY, I saw that article yesterday. It is so nice that people who knew him bought it and are using the recording studio, which was apparently top notch.
The ranch looks beautiful from the pictures in the article.

Dawn
05-25-2017, 02:42 PM
What a cool find thanks so much GlennLover!

Listening to a recording of Jingle Bells on the Mad Dog website it rocks might have to add this unique rendition to my collection of holiday music. :cheers:

On a more personal level, Glenn had an amazing career and success which afforded him the ability to live and work in places like Aspen. I am glad the property is being used to furtherthe careers of musicians, songwriters, bands, etc. That is a very special tribute and legacy to Glenn. :applause:

http://maddogranchstudios.com/Media/j%20bells.mp3

Dawn
05-25-2017, 05:38 PM
This is an undated article some 11 months after birth of his 1st child that I've not seen before. I learned some new things about Glenn and sure wish he was still with us he had alot of living and giving to do.

Excerpt:

"The thrust of my charity work for the last 15 years has had to do with kids anyway," said Frey, who became a father for the first time 11 months ago and last summer served with his wife, Cindy, as a volunteer counselor for the Grassroots Experience. "I've always supported a dozen kids through Children's Christian Fund. I give money to an organization that aids in the adoption of kids who are handicapped. But here's the thing that's so funny about any kind of service work: you never bargain for what it is going to do for you. I just felt so good after spending a week with those kids. They just took me at face value. The don't know about the Eagles, or Hotel California, or that I was on Miami Vice or Wiseguy. I was just 'Glenn Frey, another counselor' and I was a musician. They never bought any of my records. They just took me at face value as I did with them.

http://allniter.tripod.com/guywithaheart.html

New Kid In Town
05-25-2017, 06:04 PM
Hi Dawn - A great story. Thank you. So, that interview would have been in Feb.1992. I believe I read somewhere that Glenn and Cindy sponsored the camp at their home in Aspen for many years. At one time there was a full 20-25 minute interview with sportscaster Bob Costas, where Glenn talked about his work with kids. If I remember right(it was so long ago that I saw it) in the interview Glenn states something along the lines of kids are not born bad but are a product of their environment. There is also a quote about "God likes a silent giver" but I do not remember if it came from this interview. For some reason there is only about 10 minutes of the interview left on you tube and it only involves Eagles related info.

When they played RS in 1978, proceeds plus a donation from the loosing team were made to UNICEF World Hunger Fund. So, he was giving to kids back then. I wish more people knew what a giving person Glenn was.

Dawn
05-25-2017, 07:07 PM
Hi NKIT, thanks! I think Glenn had a veritable soft spot in his heart for at risk youth and enjoyed being with young people who viewed him as an everyday guy not a celebrity. Somewhere on youtube is a video of Glenn at a charity event (possibly Boys and Girls Club) in the CA desert (indio, la quinta, palm springs?) listening to a young girl singing an Eagles song and it was so poignant. His beloved now-deceased mom was very active with the same charity after they bought a home at PGA in La Quinta.

“I’ve been helping kids — at-risk kids — for a long time,” he told The Desert Sun in 2010. “Thirty years. It seems like now times are even more troubled for young people.”

Regarding your post, goes on to state:

The rock legend first became active in children’s charities in the 1990s, when he started hosting inner-city kids in Colorado each summer.

Somewhere I remember reading about Glenn joking .... Hoods in the Woods

Glenn was involved with several other charitable organizations as well but I think his true passion was working with kids.

For as long as I live I think I'll always be heartbroken that with all the effort that went into trying to help Glenn when he was hospitalized with pneumonia - in the end it wasn't enough to save him.

:-(

Edited to add

Here is the link to the youtube video of the La Quinta Boys and Girls Club Heatwave Jazz and Show Band performing for Glenn Frey. It's really sweet.

Setlist: The One You Love, Hotel California, The Heat is On

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wu1qshCtfrk

New Kid In Town
05-25-2017, 09:12 PM
Thanks Dawn ! I know I saw something where he was talking about Taylor having a hard time in her early teens and stating how hard it is being a kid now. So true....
Hoods in the Woods - cute! Sounds like he and Cindy had big hearts. He seemed to really have found his soul mate when he married Cindy. I'm sure he knew how blessed he was.

On a more serious note, I had bacterial pneumonia three years ago and was six for 5-6 weeks. I can not imagine having two auto-immune diseases with a compromised immune system and trying to fight pneumonia. I was shocked but not surprised when I heard he died from the pneumonia. It really takes a lot out of a person. The world is a sadder place when giving people like Glenn are no longer with us.

Dawn
05-25-2017, 10:23 PM
Thanks Dawn ! I know I saw something where he was talking about Taylor having a hard time in her early teens and stating how hard it is being a kid now. So true....
Hoods in the Woods - cute! Sounds like he and Cindy had big hearts. He seemed to really have found his soul mate when he married Cindy. I'm sure he knew how blessed he was.

On a more serious note, I had bacterial pneumonia three years ago and was six for 5-6 weeks. I can not imagine having two auto-immune diseases with a compromised immune system and trying to fight pneumonia. I was shocked but not surprised when I heard he died from the pneumonia. It really takes a lot out of a person. The world is a sadder place when giving people like Glenn are no longer with us.

Yikes, So very glad you made it thru bacterial pneumonia!! It's tough enough battling an infection as severe as BP but yes, when dealing with a compromised immune system in the face of the very real threat of a hospital acquired infection it can be very difficult. Clearly Glenn was in a very tough spot and I wish he could have made it thru. i think Cindy and Glenn were a great team, she was usually literally beaming in the photos of them together.

sodascouts
05-27-2017, 05:26 PM
Love reading and watching these. Thanks, folks.

Glenn had such a big heart. People don't really talk about that, do they? Well, he didn't really talk about it that much, either, except to promote the causes. He once said "The Lord loves a quiet giver." What a man.

And yes, NKIT, so glad you're well again!

GlennsCuz
05-31-2017, 01:06 PM
It worked for me. I'll post the relevant part in case it doesn't work for someone else. I got tears in my eyes as I read it. :weep::-(

Yes, it was a loving tribute to Glenn. I was there too. Greatest concert I've ever been to and most of all, hearing all the stories about Glenn and how much he meant to everyone!

GlennsCuz
05-31-2017, 01:17 PM
I find it quite touching that he bought adjacent properties - I assume one for his parents and one for himself or whoever was visiting his parents. I think I read that his father has moved to LA, so the La Quinta houses were probably no longer needed even before Glenn died.

Yes, the two properties which Glenn bought were one for him and one for his parents. His mother, my Aunt Nellie, was an avid golfer almost all her life until the end. Since Uncle Eddie is up there in years, he is unable to utilize the property any longer so it makes sense to sell the properties if they aren't being used.

New Kid In Town
05-31-2017, 01:51 PM
Soda - Thank You for the well wishes ! I trust you have recovered also.

GlennsCuz - Welcome to the Border. Please accept our deepest sympathies - we all loved Glenn. Love the stories. Best wishes to you and all your family.

shunlvswx
06-05-2017, 09:49 PM
Don't forget Eagles: The Long Road will be on this weekend at 8:00am Eastern/7:00am Central on the Ovation channel. The special will be an hour long. I already set my DVR.

buffyfan145
06-07-2017, 10:14 AM
That documentary was really well done and I watched it this morning as I ate breakfast. Did tell the band's history and had a slightly more focus on Glenn. I loved the interview clips they used as they were new to me.

Delilah
06-07-2017, 10:44 AM
I wish I could have seen it but we don't get the Ovation channel. Did the band history parts reveal anything new? Was there any/some mention of Bernie, Randy or Don F? I'm glad it was well done but it would be nice if it had been broadcast somewhere with more exposure.

shunlvswx
06-07-2017, 11:09 AM
I recorded it this morning since I was heading out to work during that time. Can't wait to watch it when I get home from work.

New Kid In Town
06-07-2017, 11:30 AM
I don't get that channel either. :sad:
Wish I could have seen it or it had been on a bigger channel.

groupie2686
06-07-2017, 04:12 PM
I get the channel, but I don't have DVR and I couldn't watch because I had to go to work. Does anyone know if this will be re-aired or if it will be posted online?

buffyfan145
06-07-2017, 04:19 PM
I didn't really notice anything new expect the interview segments they had in it (which might not be to others). They did at the end too have a debate about if the Eagles should continue, with one of the music history people saying no and the other saying yes, so it was for sure made before the East/West concerts were announced. Not sure if it's reairing or will be online.

shunlvswx
06-07-2017, 07:04 PM
I don't think its going to be reaired again, but I think it might be online.

New Kid In Town
06-07-2017, 11:31 PM
Shun - I know you are amazing about finding such videos, so hopefully something will show up soon.

New Kid In Town
06-08-2017, 09:11 AM
I just saw one one of the Eagles Fan FB Pages you can watch it on demand. I don't know if there is fee or if it is free.

East Texas Girl
06-09-2017, 01:33 PM
I wish I could have seen it but we don't get the Ovation channel. Did the band history parts reveal anything new? Was there any/some mention of Bernie, Randy or Don F? I'm glad it was well done but it would be nice if it had been broadcast somewhere with more exposure.

I recorded it and watched it last night. I don't believe anything new was revealed. They were showing an interview with Glenn that I believe was from 2012.

They showed pictures from the beginning up to more recent. (and if I may say so...numerous pictures of Randy:applause:)And did talk about all seven members and their contributions to the band and when they left or started. They didn't dwell on the negative too much, just mentioned the friction within. They showed clips of songs from 1977 Capital Centre concert footage and talked about each album that was made and the singles/hits from each. They did touch on solo careers of Glenn, Don H and Joe.

One interviewer mentioned the Classic West/East concerts and said that some fans want the Eagles to be done with Glenn's passing and others want them to continue. He said he would like to see them continue and bring back two of the original Eagles, Randy and Bernie of course, and perform in that fashion. I have to say I totally agree with him there!:wink: All in all I thought it was a good program.

Oh..One thing I did have a problem with was the showed some band on stage from behind the performers (just their midsection, no heads were shown) bowing together at the end of their show like it was the Eagles and one of them had a "tramp stamp" (for want of better words, no offense intended). :huh: I was like whoa who was that!

Delilah
06-09-2017, 02:31 PM
Great review, ETG, thanks! I sure wish I could have watched it. And yes, bringing back Randy and Bernie would be awesome.

shunlvswx
06-09-2017, 03:37 PM
I think the reason why they didn't show any interview clips from HOTE probably because they probably didn't have permission to use the footage of Glenn from HOTE documentary. I could be wrong, but that's the only thing I can think of as to why they didn't use his clips from HOTE and that would still be 4 or 5 years old. There's really not that many interviews of Glenn (that's current before he died) he just talked about the Eagles and I guess the interview from 2012 was closed which I'm still glad they even used interviews of Glenn instead of just only having others not related to the band talking about them which sometimes I hate those kinds of programs.

I watched some of it and I haven't watched all of it yet. I stopped at when they were talking about the Hotel California album.

East Texas Girl
06-09-2017, 04:47 PM
Oh..Shun, thanks for reminding me...They did use parts of the HoTE press conference in London(?) I believe. Mostly just Glenn and Joe, a little of Don H. So sorry, I meant to put that in, I forgot. :oops:

Thanks Delilah. Wish I had a way to share it with you.

groupie2686
06-10-2017, 11:21 PM
Has anyone found this online? I'd really like to see this and my cable provider doesn't have ovation on demand. Maybe someone could find a way to post the video?

UndertheWire
06-11-2017, 07:51 AM
There's a new interview with former hockey player, Gene Carr, and he talks a bit about Glenn and their friendship.
https://www.kelownacapnews.com/opinion/the-new-kid-in-town-is-back/

New Kid In Town
06-11-2017, 10:14 AM
Groupie - Sorry, my cable company does not carry that station so I can not get on demand either. :x

UTW - Thanks for the interview. I remember seeing pictures of Glenn wearing Gene Carr's hockey jersey back in the day.

Delilah
06-29-2017, 01:14 PM
Jack Tempchin talks about songwriting and Glenn in this new interview with Songwriter Universe. Especially interesting is what's included in his latest album, Peaceful Easy Feeling: The Songs of Jack Tempchin.

I also did a song called “Privacy” which Glenn and I wrote, but no one’s heard before. We’re making a video of this song.

http://www.songwriteruniverse.com/jack-tempchin-songwriter-2017.htm

sodascouts
06-29-2017, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the link!

New Kid In Town
06-29-2017, 03:50 PM
Thanks for posting that interview.

buffyfan145
06-29-2017, 04:26 PM
Thanks Delilah and looking forward to that!!! :D

Pippinwhite
06-29-2017, 04:54 PM
Great interview. Thanks for posting!

chaim
06-30-2017, 01:27 PM
Cool. I didn't know that Glenn turned Already Gone into a rock song. A similar thing happened with Status Quo's Caroline, which was originally written as a countryish song.

scottside
06-30-2017, 01:50 PM
Cool. I didn't know that Glenn turned Already Gone into a rock song. A similar thing happened with Status Quo's Caroline, which was originally written as a countryish song.

Here is co-writer Robb Strandlund's original take on "Already Gone." It's kind of swampy country and actually came out two year after the Eagles version. I'm guessing had Jack Tempchin recorded it back then, it would've been similar to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMinc-CHAJA

UndertheWire
03-25-2018, 10:48 AM
From an article I got in a Google alert: Quote:
Harry Styles had a secret friendship with Glenn Frey
APRIL 27, 2017

Harry Styles formed a secret friendship with Eagles star Glenn Frey before his death in 2016. The 23-year-old star grew close to the American singer before he passed away aged 67 in January last year, and Harry even attended his memorial service in Los Angeles alongside the likes of Stevie Wonder and Don Henley. Cameron Crowe, who interviewed Harry for Rolling Stone magazine, told The Sun newspaper: “The first time I met him was for the memorial. He was really missing his friend.” The extent of Harry’s friendship with the star was never previously known, but he did pay tribute to the Eagles singer a day after his death. In a post on Instagram, Harry wrote: “Rest in love and peace, Mr Frey.”
https://m.worldheadlines.info/2017/0...th-glenn-frey/ (https://m.worldheadlines.info/2017/04/harry-styles-had-a-secret-friendship-with-glenn-frey/)

In this 2015 interview (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qVCGa2AJuo), Glenn says "Harry's a friend of mine" so it seems that the friendship was mutual.

03-25-2018, 01:44 PM
Thanks UTW - Unfortunately GL's link isn't working for me anymore, but I remember reading it when it was first posted. I love the way Glenn took the time to mentor young musicians.

Freypower
03-25-2018, 08:34 PM
In this 2015 interview (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qVCGa2AJuo), Glenn says "Harry's a friend of mine" so it seems that the friendship was mutual.

How weird. I just bought Harry's album, because I had heard how great it was and because I'd seen him do an excellent version of Fleetwood Mac's The Chain. I highly recommend it. Bless you, Harry.

In the interests of balance I should mention that Harry's former bandmate Niall Horan considers Don Henley to be his mentor.

NightMistBlue
04-09-2018, 10:17 AM
Did ya'll catch this interview (audio) with Glenn's brother Alan? It's by our friend John Beaudin, who interviewed Randy some years ago and was kind enough to post it on the YouTubes for the Rand-fanatics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=Grt6qDNbGKk&app=desktop#

My My
04-09-2018, 10:56 AM
Yep! It was posted last week in the Glenn videos on YouTube thread. Evidently, there will be additional parts posted starting on Thursday.

shunlvswx
05-09-2018, 06:28 PM
I didn't know where to put this, but here's an article of Cindy and Deacon talking about Glenn and briefly about the boxset.

https://pilotonline.com/entertainmen...4d1cf1a47.html

Pippinwhite
05-10-2018, 12:39 AM
Very nice interview. Thanks for posting it, Shun!

(If the link doesn't work, for some reason, type Glenn Frey into the search box on the page and it should pop right up.)

Dawn
05-10-2018, 09:53 PM
https://img.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_1484w/2010-2019/Wires/Images/2018-05-09/AP/Cindy_and_Deacon_Frey_Portrait_Session_19291.jpg-2b6e0.jpg?uuid=Oo05oFOjEeim1ModA1ZCzg

Great pic!

Brooke
05-11-2018, 02:05 PM
Nice picture of them. Her ring finger makes me sad though.

East Texas Girl
05-11-2018, 02:19 PM
Nice picture of them. Her ring finger makes me sad though.

Brooke, I noticed that as well and thought the same thing.

Pippinwhite
05-11-2018, 02:38 PM
Saw that too, Brooke and ETG. Made me kind of sad, myself.

shunlvswx
05-11-2018, 02:46 PM
Its sad, but its also understandable. Some widows keep their rings on and some take them off after a while. Cindy probably won't be dating anybody anytime soon or she might have. I don't know. Some take years to start back dating and some start immediately.

Its a nice picture of Deacon and Cindy. I can't believe she's in her 50s. She looks great.

New Kid In Town
05-11-2018, 03:24 PM
That's a wonderful picture of Cindy and Deacon. And, it is sad when you look at her ring finger. I noticed it right away. Unlike some men, Glenn seemed to always wear his wedding ring.
Deacon does look more like Cindy than Glenn. Thanks for posting Dawn.

Pippinwhite
05-11-2018, 03:56 PM
@NKIT -- What I thought about when I saw her hand was how she must have cried when she took those rings off and put them in her jewelry box. I felt so, so sorry for her. She obviously loved Glenn so much, and he loved her. That had to have been such a hard thing to do. I think about any couple who loved each other that much, and if they make the decision to take off their ring(s), how incredibly difficult that must be. My heart just broke for her at the image.

New Kid In Town
05-11-2018, 04:03 PM
Pippin I agree. It must be a hard decision when someone decides to remove their wedding bands. My Mom never took her ring off after my Dad died.

Freypower
05-11-2018, 08:14 PM
Personal preference, I suppose, but I would have continued to wear them.

groupie2686
05-12-2018, 11:17 AM
I noticed Cindy wasn't wearing a wedding ring anymore in pictures from the Kennedy Center Honors - it hadn't even been a year. To each their own, I guess, I'd continue to wear them too.

Brooke
05-14-2018, 02:36 PM
I would continue to wear them too. I guess it just depends on the person and the relationship.

sodascouts
09-25-2018, 07:27 PM
Karla Bonoff talks a bit about Glenn in this Q&A:

"Out & About: Karla Bonoff at Harvester" (https://www.roanoke.com/arts_and_entertainment/music/out-about-karla-bonoff-at-harvester/article_24807d52-1103-560f-a561-2d086bd04ac4.html)

09-26-2018, 10:50 AM
Aw - She had some really sweet things to say about Glenn. Good find, Soda.

Brooke
09-26-2018, 02:09 PM
Yes she did. I don't remember her songs from back in the day, but I do remember Glenn mentioning her sometimes in interviews.

Pippinwhite
09-26-2018, 04:24 PM
I remember "Personally" very well. I can see Glenn really liking it. That fits.

I find it interesting (and wonderful) that Glenn kept so many friends from those early days. Says a lot about him. Thanks for sharing this, Soda!

Dawn
09-26-2018, 09:51 PM
Love Karla!

Thanks Soda, it's very nice to know Karla and Glenn were special friends! Also did not know he was the inspiration behind her cover of "Personally". Great song!

sodascouts
09-26-2018, 10:53 PM
Something people might not realize - Glenn lends backing vocals to her beautiful song "If He's Ever Near":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XXWR5i9PVo

Dawn
09-27-2018, 01:48 AM
I did not know Glenn Frey helped with backing vocals on this song.

FWIW -- If if you haven't heard it before or it's been awhile since you last heard it, I strongly recommend checking out the song on the you tube link from Soda.

UndertheWire
09-27-2018, 05:36 AM
Please could someone post the relevant extract from that interview?

An unfortunate by-product of tighter EU data protection rules is that many american news sites just block access from EU countries rather than address the issue.

sodascouts
09-27-2018, 07:12 AM
The parts of the article relating to Glenn:

"It’s fitting that [Karla Bonoff] a woman who wrote hits for others got her biggest hit with someone else’s song. That number was 'Personally,' which Paul Kelly wrote. R&B singer Jackie Moore had cut it in 1978, but it barely made a dent in the charts. Moore’s single wound up in the hands of Glenn Frey, of the Eagles, who happened to be friends with Bonoff.

'He was a great collector of obscure R&B songs, and he played that for me one night at his house,' Bonoff said in a phone call last week. 'I was like, wow, what a cool tune. Somebody should make a hit out of that.' He said, 'You know, I was thinking I should send that to Bonnie Raitt.' I was like, 'No! Don’t send that to Bonnie Raitt!'

[...]

Her good friend Frey died in 2016, but his death was only one of several in recent years among Bonoff’s peer group in the Southern California music scene that blew up in the 1970s. Two of her bandmates from a before-its-time outfit of folk-rockers called Bryndle. Kenny Edwards, who had founded The Stone Poneys with Ronstadt, then joined Bryndle, died in 2010. Andrew Gold died the next year. Singer, songwriter and producer Wendy Waldman remains active in the music business.

Edwards produced Bonoff’s first three albums. Frey was among the first people she met when she was exploring the folk rock scene of Los Angeles, which centered on The Troubadour.

'Unfortunately at this point, when you get to this age, that’s what starts to happen,' said Bonoff, 66. 'It’s hard, because it doesn’t feel like that much time has passed. We are losing people, a lot of people. It’s sad, but you try to carry on.

'To lose these guys in their 60s, it’s really a bummer. They had a lot more music in them.'

[...]

'I started out with my sister, writing, and we had a duo, sort of playing Joni Mitchell-type stuff that we were writing. We started doing those Monday nights at The Troubadour, which were open mic nights. That’s how we started meeting all these other people — Kenny Edwards and Wendy Waldman and Glenn and JD Souther. Everybody was drawn to the same couple of places where you could get up and perform.'"

The rest is about her own work.

My My
09-27-2018, 07:32 AM
Thanks, Soda, really interesting. I wasn't aware of the connection with Bonoff.

UndertheWire
09-27-2018, 07:53 AM
Thanks for posting that. It sounds like Glenn should have had a radio show where he played obscure tracks.

09-27-2018, 10:49 AM
I don't remember ever hearing If He's Ever Near until a few days ago when I was visiting Soda. She played it - I agree with her that it's a beautiful song and, of course, it's loveliness is helped out a lot by those gorgeous backing vocals.

Brooke
09-27-2018, 03:56 PM
I've never heard it. Beautiful!

CAinOH
09-27-2018, 04:22 PM
Beautiful song... nice article. Thanks for posting, soda!

MarthaJo56
10-29-2018, 02:10 PM
I had never seen this article until today. Made me get a tear in my eyes towards the end. Miss him so much.
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/remembering-glenn-frey-cameron-crowe-on-eagles-teen-king-231853/

CAinOH
10-29-2018, 04:00 PM
I had never seen this article until today. Made me get a tear in my eyes towards the end. Miss him so much.
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/remembering-glenn-frey-cameron-crowe-on-eagles-teen-king-231853/

I found that on one of my massive "Google the Universe on Glenn Frey" tear-outs. It's a very touching and bittersweet to read, especially that last paragraph that mentions possible "things to come."

"People don't run out of dreams. People just run out of time." ~ Glenn Frey

sodascouts
10-29-2018, 10:22 PM
Makes me tear up every time.

Delilah
11-15-2018, 06:33 PM
It looks like Glenn’s ‘87 Corvette found a new home in Australia.

(http://“http://www.sunraysiadaily.com.au/story/5324222/an-eagles-classic-glenn-freys-former-corvette-lands-in-red-cliffs/

sodascouts
11-15-2018, 09:13 PM
It looks like Glenn’s ‘87 Corvette found a new home in Australia.

(http://“http://www.sunraysiadaily.com.au/story/5324222/an-eagles-classic-glenn-freys-former-corvette-lands-in-red-cliffs/

Is that the one he was photographed in for those Strange Weather promotional shots? It looks like it could be.

http://glennfreyonline.com/images/GFreyLovePhone.jpg

Lucky ducks, to be able to buy that.

Good find, Delilah. Thanks!

Brooke
11-16-2018, 04:33 PM
Cool news!

Delilah
11-17-2018, 09:26 AM
Is that the one he was photographed in for those Strange Weather promotional shots? It looks like it could be.

http://glennfreyonline.com/images/GFreyLovePhone.jpg

Lucky ducks, to be able to buy that.

Good find, Delilah. Thanks!

You’re welcome.:) That does look like the same car. Nice!

11-17-2018, 12:19 PM
Yep - Wish I had known it was for sale ... I could have sold the house, cashed in my 401K, and lived out of the car! :partytime:

Dawn
11-17-2018, 12:22 PM
https://superiorshit.blogspot.com/2018/11/trading-places-rocks-latest-tour.html

Rock's latest tour gimmick is Member Swapping!

After all, those lovable Eagles have continued on without Glenn Frey despite Don Henley's claims that they were done. Once your accountant leaves you a couple anxious messages about having to "move some shit around", suddenly you realize that the show must go on.

So, once we're past the "sacrilege", which we are, why not hire someone with some name recognition to sing Glenn's parts and put some more asses in those stadium seats before the band gets downgraded to theatre act?

11-17-2018, 12:42 PM
Thanks for finding that, Dawn. I sooooo agree with everything this writer says. Here's the part about the Eagles and Glenn ...

And who's to say it has to stop there?

After all, those lovable Eagles have continued on without Glenn Frey despite Don Henley's claims that they were done. Once your accountant leaves you a couple anxious messages about having to "move some shit around", suddenly you realize that the show must go on.

So, once we're past the "sacrilege", which we are, why not hire someone with some name recognition to sing Glenn's parts and put some more asses in those stadium seats before the band gets downgraded to theatre act?

Bob Seger, maybe?

I wanted to post a comment on the blog, but I couldn't figure how to do it.

ETA: Sorry Dawn - I didn't mean to repeat, but I didn't see your edited post until I finished posting.

Dawn
11-17-2018, 01:24 PM
Hi Dreamer, thank you for the help I had trouble earlier pasting the quote.

I also agree with the writer's POV.