PDA

View Full Version : Glenn in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

CAinOH
11-17-2018, 02:45 PM
https://superiorshit.blogspot.com/2018/11/trading-places-rocks-latest-tour.html

Rock's latest tour gimmick is Member Swapping!

After all, those lovable Eagles have continued on without Glenn Frey despite Don Henley's claims that they were done. Once your accountant leaves you a couple anxious messages about having to "move some shit around", suddenly you realize that the show must go on.

So, once we're past the "sacrilege", which we are, why not hire someone with some name recognition to sing Glenn's parts and put some more asses in those stadium seats before the band gets downgraded to theatre act?

Amen!

New Kid In Town
11-17-2018, 05:19 PM
Could not agree more !

sodascouts
11-20-2018, 05:43 PM
The tone of contempt in this article is right in tune with my view.

But people will always figure out a way to justify doing what they want to do.

Just don't expect me to buy it.

CAinOH
01-06-2019, 02:54 PM
Came across this blog post/article this afternoon (what? it isn't morning anymore? that's what happens when I sleep in), and I really enjoyed reading it. Thought some of you might, too.

https://www.usrepresented.com/2016/01/19/dreaming-of-playing-a-funky-d-chord-a-bar-band-musicians-tribute-to-glenn-frey/

Pippinwhite
01-06-2019, 09:48 PM
Great piece. Love this.

Brooke
01-07-2019, 05:48 PM
Very nice, CA. :heart: Thanks for sharing!

New Kid In Town
01-07-2019, 06:06 PM
CA - loved it ! Thank You for finding it and sharing.

Glennsallnighter
01-17-2019, 07:59 AM
I loved reading this. Thank you so much for posting it CA

Ive always been a dreamer
01-17-2019, 12:00 PM
I read this when you first posted, CA, but, I forgot to comment. Glad the thread was revived and triggered my memory. I really enjoyed reading this too, especially the last part ...

"Glenn Frey was why I loved the Eagles, he was one of the reasons I wanted to play music, and most importantly, he made it seem like something I could do. I could never be John Lennon, but as stupid as it sounds—and trust me, even then, I knew how idiotic it was—that young version of me felt like I could be Glenn Frey, or at least a version of him. For about three years, I was, too.

And to this day, every time I play that funky D chord, I think of him.

Rest in peace, Mr. Frey."

That's a very lovely tribute - I bet Glenn would love it.

Houston Baby
01-17-2019, 02:08 PM
I read this when you first posted, CA, but, I forgot to comment. Glad the thread was revived and triggered my memory. I really enjoyed reading this too, especially the last part ...

"Glenn Frey was why I loved the Eagles, he was one of the reasons I wanted to play music, and most importantly, he made it seem like something I could do. I could never be John Lennon, but as stupid as it sounds—and trust me, even then, I knew how idiotic it was—that young version of me felt like I could be Glenn Frey, or at least a version of him. For about three years, I was, too.

I agree Dreamer! Glenn would have loved this tribute!
And thank you CA for sharing!

Glennsallnighter
01-17-2019, 04:20 PM

Yes I think more than any formal accolades this is the way he would love to be remembered, by someone watching him do what he loved best, appreciating it and then applying it to his own music

WalshFan88
01-17-2019, 08:11 PM
https://superiorshit.blogspot.com/2018/11/trading-places-rocks-latest-tour.html

Rock's latest tour gimmick is Member Swapping!

After all, those lovable Eagles have continued on without Glenn Frey despite Don Henley's claims that they were done. Once your accountant leaves you a couple anxious messages about having to "move some shit around", suddenly you realize that the show must go on.

So, once we're past the "sacrilege", which we are, why not hire someone with some name recognition to sing Glenn's parts and put some more asses in those stadium seats before the band gets downgraded to theatre act?

I LOVE this.

I couldn't agree more with him. It's such bull$hit that they are still doing this. Ugh. The line about the accountant is oh so true. If money isn't the root of all evil, it has to be up there on the list of what is!

WalshFan88
01-17-2019, 08:14 PM
Came across this blog post/article this afternoon (what? it isn't morning anymore? that's what happens when I sleep in), and I really enjoyed reading it. Thought some of you might, too.

https://www.usrepresented.com/2016/01/19/dreaming-of-playing-a-funky-d-chord-a-bar-band-musicians-tribute-to-glenn-frey/

And I LOVE this too...

That "funky D chord" with an F sharp is in sooooo many songs. As a side note, many people play the intro to AC/DC's Highway To Hell wrong. The intro is basically based around three chords - A, D, and G. But the D has that F# in it and most don't pick up on it. It's essential.

Glenn was very influential.

CAinOH
01-18-2019, 09:04 AM
And I LOVE this too...

That "funky D chord" with an F sharp is in sooooo many songs. As a side note, many people play the intro to AC/DC's Highway To Hell wrong. The intro is basically based around three chords - A, D, and G. But the D has that F# in it and most don't pick up on it. It's essential.

Glenn was very influential.

Austin, I must admit: I was thinking of you when I read this article and knew I had to share it!

Delilah
05-19-2019, 02:29 PM
Not sure if this or the “Remembering Glenn” thread is the right place to post but since this is about current news I’ll post here; if not then please move to the appropriate thread.

Anyway, in this new interview with John Beaudin, Jack Tempchin announces he is recording a new song that he wrote with Glenn in the late 80s/early 90s called “One More Time with Feeling.” He’s also recording a tribute song he wrote for Glenn “Never Had the Chance to Say Goodbye” (what a sad title). His new album is slated for release this summer.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3FY-nKbMTcI

05-19-2019, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the link Delilah - I'm really happy to hear that Jack is going to release 'Never Had the Chance to Say Goodbye'. When we had our Border Gathering in L.A. in January, 2017, Soda, Brooke, Glennsallnighter, Houston Baby, Perfect Little Sister, and I went to see Jack perform. It was just the luck of the draw that he happened to be playing that show in L.A. when we were there. We all had a chance to talk with him for a little while after the show and he was very gracious. He played the song that night and, of course, we were all extremely moved by it. I'm also looking forward to hearing 'One More Time with Feeling' on the new album.

sodascouts
05-19-2019, 10:19 PM
Thanks for that, Delilah. I'm really glad to hear he's releasing it, too.

Carolyn
08-20-2019, 03:02 PM
I was just sitting in my conference room with the cutest young couple in the world who are nervously waiting for the sellers to show-up so we can proceed with the closing of them purchasing their first home together -- and listening to them talk to each other about all their fears reminds me so much of how my husband and I were about 7 years ago when we bought our home. I just assured them I got a text from the seller's broker that they're just stuck in some Cape traffic and will be here in about 15 minutes, and they've gone into my little makeshift nursery room and are playing with my 1-year-old -- so I figured I'd jump on the Internet for a few minutes.

We're considering going to see the movie Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, and I came across something that some of you might be interested in. I'm not sure if you need a subscription to the NY Times to read this story, but if you can see it, you might enjoy a passing comment the writer shared of how around 1970 Mr. Frey & J.D.Souther stopped by a hotel pool where the writer was staying while covering the Manson trial, and when they walked in some of the other famous people staying there thought he had violated the promise he had made to them to not bring any members of the Manson family to the motel. The writer states that Kris Kristofferson had contemplated jumping in the pool and swimming to the safety of the other side to escape them. If you need to pay for access, it's probably not worth it, as this is just a brief sidebar in the story. Here is the link:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/24/movies/charles-manson-family-hollywood-tarantino.html

It's funny how manytimes I will read a story and it suddenly has some weird reference to Mr.Frey. I think I've mentioned these other 2 before -- but here are the links in case you missed it:

Here's a link to a story in which Game of Thrones co-creator Dan Weiss recalls being Mr. Frey's assistant and buying toilet paper for him for several weeks in 1993. I was never a big fan of this show, but my husband watched it, and I think I recall there being a character called something like Walder Frey, who was the head of House Frey. I wonder if that was a tip-of-the-hat to his former boss. Anyhow, here's a link tothe story with a small reference to him being Mr. Frey's assistant:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2014/03/game-of-thrones-benioff-weiss-interview

Back in March my husband bought me a beat-up 67 Camaro convertible when we were visiting California, which we had transported to our home & he restored to incredible condition, using this beautiful aqua color paint from that line of cars during that year for the exterior, replacing the roof with a beautiful bright white one replacing the seats with white leather-type ones from the original line of cars, as well as doing the same with the steering and panel and other areas of the car. Anyhow, he had sent me a link to a site that was selling a car just like the way he was going to restore mine on a car website -- and on that same site, it had a listing for Mr. Frey's former car -- a 2010 Bentley. It appears it is still listed, so here is a link:

http://www.chariotz.com/projectdetail/automaxx1/bentley-continental-gtc-2010/glenn-freys-2010-bentley-for-sale/6443

Something that deserves a side mention here is that we've been discussing where we want to take our next couple of family trips --and when we want to take them -- as it will definitely be after I deliver our baby girl at the end of Oct. or beginning of Nov. The 2 places at the top of my husband's list are Hawaii and taking our own type of Route 66 trip -- even though the originalone doesn't exist any longer. I'm not sure either will be a great idea, as we will likely leave the baby and our1-year-old with grandma, but will likely take our 5-year-old son -- and I'm not sure there would be much in Hawaii to entertain him. Anyhow, when I was at the Cape Cod Mall recently getting my son his new Kindergarten wardrobe that he insisted consist of all Levi's -- just like his Dad's -- and he had to have charcoal colored sneakers -- I stopped by the bookstore to get a book about following a route that will let you see some of the things you once saw along Route 66.

While I was there, I noticed a book they had next to the register, and they told me that someone had special ordered it, but were 2 weeks late in picking it up, so they were justgoing to put it on the shelves -- so I bought it. It is called Two Trains Leave Paris, and it is co-written by Mr. Frey's daughter.

I had to get it because my husband and I first got to know each other on the Amtrak train --and it was during that ride that my mother mentioned how much Matt reminded her of Glenn Frey, and he sang the song Lying Eyes to her -- so I just felt I had to have the book.

But, I have to tell you that even though I have only skimmed the book thus far -- it is really a very well-written book that I have absolutely no doubt will come in handy on more than one occasion when any of our 3 children may have a math subject they may struggle with -- or especially when I need a quick refresher course in anarea of math, in order to be able to better assist my kids with their homework.

While my husband isthe wiz in all things math, which comes from his architectural & construction education -- I want to be able to sit at the kitchen table with my kids and be able to help them out when they get stuck on a trig or geometry homework lesson -- instead of telling them I forgot what I learned & they can wait until their dad gets home.

CAinOH
08-20-2019, 03:22 PM
While I was there, I noticed a book they had next to the register, and they told me that someone had special ordered it, but were 2 weeks late in picking it up, so they were just going to put it on the shelves -- so I bought it. It is called Two Trains Leave Paris, and it is co-written by Mr. Frey's daughter.

I had to get it because my husband and I first got to know each other on the Amtrak train --and it was during that ride that my mother mentioned how much Matt reminded her of Glenn Frey, and he sang the song Lying Eyes to her -- so I just felt I had to have the book.

But, I have to tell you that even though I have only skimmed the book thus far -- it is really a very well-written book that I have absolutely no doubt will come in handy on more than one occasion when any of our 3 children may have a math subject they may struggle with -- or especially when I need a quick refresher course in an area of math, in order to be able to better assist my kids with their homework.

While my husband is the wiz in all things math, which comes from his architectural &construction education -- I want to be able to sit at the kitchen table with my kids and be able to help them out when they get stuck on a trig or geometry homework lesson -- instead of telling them I forgot what I learned & they can wait until their dad gets home.

I adore Two Trains Leave Paris. Yes, I'm the person who sits and does algebra for fun. And, yes, I wish I'd had that book almost 40 years ago during Calculus 3. It is well written and a lot of fun to read.

Pippinwhite
08-22-2019, 11:11 PM
In case no one has run across it yet, Jack Tempchin has recorded a version of one of the last songs he and Glenn wrote together, "One More Time with Feeling", and you can hear Glenn all over it (in spirit, obviously). https://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/jack-tempchin-glenn-frey-eagles-one-more-time-with-feeling-listen/?
:heart:

FreyFollower
08-23-2019, 03:25 AM
In case no one has run across it yet, Jack Tempchin has recorded a version of one of the last songs he and Glenn wrote together, "One More Time with Feeling", and you can hear Glenn all over it (in spirit, obviously). https://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/jack-tempchin-glenn-frey-eagles-one-more-time-with-feeling-listen/?

Thanks, Pippin! Great song...I love it! I think it would have worked well on the country record Glenn was contemplating. (Or whatever musical arrangement, for that matter!). Oh, to be able to hear him sing it!:sad:

shunlvswx
08-23-2019, 08:07 AM
Great song. I can hear Glenn singing this. I'm just not a fan of Jack's voice.

sodascouts
08-23-2019, 08:41 PM
Great song. I can hear Glenn singing this. I'm just not a fan of Jack's voice.

Me neither. Wishing Glenn had had the chance to record this!

WalshFan88
08-23-2019, 10:09 PM
I think Jack Tempchin and JD Souther are kind of like Bob Dylan. Great songwriters, bot not great singers. I love all of their songs, but I much prefer to hear someone else do them. I also think the same about JJ Cale. Great songwriter, but Eric Clapton did his hit songs better. And I certainly felt the the LROOE version of Souther's How Long is the best version of that song. And I love Already Gone and PEF, of course.

I know it makes a lot of Dylan hardcores mad but for almost every song of his, I can name someone who does it better. Knockin' On Heavens Door - Guns N' Roses, All Along The Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix, You Ain't Goin' Nowhere/Hey Mr. Tambourine Man - Byrds, Like A Rolling Stone - Rolling Stones, etc. The only song I actually like where Bob is singing is Positively 4th Street. I haven't found a cover I like - yet. :lol:

08-24-2019, 11:55 AM
Agreed everyone - There is a good reason that the best versions of these songwriter's songs were sung by others. To me, 'One More Time with Feeling' is one of Jack's stronger vocals though. but the song does have Glenn all over it. I can just imagine how different it could of been with Glenn's vocal and arranging talents.

08-24-2019, 12:12 PM
I adore Two Trains Leave Paris. Yes, I'm the person who sits and does algebra for fun. And, yes, I wish I'd had that book almost 40 years ago during Calculus 3. It is well written and a lot of fun to read.

I love the idea of this book too, although I haven't finished it yet. Okay - finishing this is now officially on my 'To Do' list. I'm also one that loves math, and had to reteach myself over the years to tutor my nieces and nephews. I wish I had had this book during those times. It sure is a fresh and creative approach to the subject. And BTW - I don't remember how much previous discussion there has been on the board about the book, but Taylor thanks her entire family in the book. She also thanks Annabel Henley, but doesn't specify why - it falls under the category of 'others, without whom this book would not exist in the way it does now'.

New Kid In Town
08-25-2019, 07:55 AM
I love the idea of this book too, although I haven't finished it yet. Okay - finishing this is now officially on my 'To Do' list. I'm also one that loves math, and had to reteach myself over the years to tutor my nieces and nephews. I wish I had had this book during those times. It sure is a fresh and creative approach to the subject. And BTW - I don't remember how much previous discussion there has been on the board about the book, but Taylor thanks her entire family in the book. She also thanks Annabel Henley, but doesn't specify why - it falls under the category of 'others, without whom this book would not exist in the way it does now'.

Well, I am embarrassed to to admit this, but I am one who hated math in school. I hated Algebra. However, I did very well in Geometry-go figure (It was very logical to me ). My strength was always History and English and related classes. I was a Poli Sci and Journalism major in college.

And, I agree about Jack and Bob Dylan. Jack's voice sounded good but he is not a great singer. And no hate please, but I can not stand Bob Dylan's voice. I love Joan B's versions of many of his songs. I agree that the Byrds and the RS's did a much better version of those songs.

FreyFollower
08-25-2019, 01:28 PM
I know Taylor did work as a tutor, and judging by the book those children were very fortunate! This is a clip where she speaks about the book with her co-author:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UKQiqIY55Y
I'm with you, NKIT-- I never liked math, and particularly hated algebra. Similarly, I also did better in geometry.
Jack may not have the best voice, but it has a nice warmth. I have always enjoyed the earnestness and emotion of songwriters singing their own material, whatever their skill level. About Bob Dylan's voice, I will only say that my brother does a hysterical spot-on imitation of it, including his odd phrasing!

New Kid In Town
08-25-2019, 02:24 PM
I know Taylor did work as a tutor, and judging by the book those children were very fortunate! This is a clip where she speaks about the book with her co-author:
I'm with you, NKIT-- I never liked math, and particularly hated algebra. Similarly, I also did better in geometry.
Jack may not have the best voice, but it has a nice warmth. I have always enjoyed the earnestness and emotion of songwriters singing their own material, whatever their skill level. About Bob Dylan's voice, I will only say that my brother does a hysterical spot-on imitation of it, including his odd phrasing!

FF - Thanks for posting that. The book received good reviews on Amazon. I think it is cool that she likes math. More girls need to be encouraged to enjoy math and teach it in such a way kids want to learn it. It was not done when I was a kid. I'm guessing Glenn was super smart in math too.

sodascouts
08-25-2019, 09:34 PM

Oh, thanks for posting this clip! I plan on getting this book. I used to be a math major, once, and thought I would teach math, but I just found I had no passion for it. One can't spend one's life doing what one has no passion for. This book looks really interesting to this "Word Person"!

Delilah
08-26-2019, 01:32 AM

Now this song recorded by Glenn would have been great on HFO! It should have been included instead of TGFY. It may have been a hit.

WalshFan88
08-26-2019, 03:40 AM
About Bob Dylan's voice, I will only say that my brother does a hysterical spot-on imitation of it, including his odd phrasing!

Haha!

It has always sounded like Bob has the worst head cold imaginable whenever he sings. Nasally as all get out and gravely too. Not a good combination, lol. :lol: I love him as a songwriter, but his voice is highly misophonic (sounds/voices that cause misophonia) to me - like nails on a chalkboard. It's so funny how voices or sounds can just be almost painful to the listener. It's not always indicative they are a bad singer. Jennifer Nettles of Sugarland has a voice that will drive me batty too. OMG. I'm sorry, lol, but it's just one of those voices. It's not that I even mind twangy vocals - but nasally or congested voices wear on me. At least Jack and JD's voice aren't provoking the reaction in me that Bob's and Jennifer's voices do. So, to be funny - if Sugarland is playing on TV my folks will turn it up so I can hear it in whatever room I'm in. :rofl: Thankfully, Sugarland aren't as popular anymore and aren't on TV much if at all. But back when they were on every country awards show and had live TV performances in the mid 2000s it would make me go crazy. Also I'd throw Gary LeVox from Rascal Flatts in that group with Jennifer and Bob. I think I'd rather hear rocks in a tin can rolling down a bumpy hill than to listen to them sing. I know that's terrible to say. I remember someone once telling me Rod Stewart sounded like he needed a cough drop especially with his Faces and early solo material and it drove them crazy. But I LOVE his raspy tone. So there you go, TEHO.

FreyFollower
08-26-2019, 05:13 AM
How funny, WF! I usually disagree with you musically because I like country /folk/bluegrass and you do not, but we are totally united in thought on this one! I can't listen to Jennifer Nettles or Gary Le Vox. I think for me it is the peculiar sounds they make, although they can sing. (IMO, obviously)
Jennifer will delve into odd cartoonish interpretations with different accents inexplicably thrown in, and pseudo-r&b.
Gary puts in these whiny overtones I can't bear, and holds notes in strange ways. That, and just hearing that he changed his last name to Le Vox because it translates to "The Voice" was too much for me!
I don't intend to upset their fans, I just find it humorous that WF and I , with our divergent tastes, agree on these points. :lol:

08-26-2019, 11:59 AM
I'm with y'all re: Gary DeVox and Jennifer Nettles. I'm not a huge country music fan either, especially of the twangy, whiny voices. However, I do think both of these artists are very good singers - but as you both said ... it's just not my thing. But, despite not being a real fan, I have actually seen both of them live.

I will have to say, Rascal Flatts does put on an entertaining show. I would have never gone on my own to see them, but two of my nieces are big fans so I took them to Charlottesville to see a show around 10 years ago. They covered Hotel California so that was the highlight of the show for me just because it was Hotel California. However, to be kind - it was a real botch job on the song. And I cringe every time I think about Rascal Flatts beating out the Eagles for the CMA vocal group of the year - I'm pretty sure it was in 2008.

I have to say that when Soda, DonFan, and I went to the CMAs to see the Eagles perform in 2007, Jennifer Nettles gave a standout vocal performance.
TBH, I don't remember the song she sang (may have been Stay), but her powerful voice was memorable enough that I never forgot it.

08-26-2019, 12:03 PM
Now this song recorded by Glenn would have been great on HFO! It should have been included instead of TGFY. It may have been a hit.

You could be right, Delilah. We'll never know, but I definitely think Glenn could have taken the song to another level for sure.

Pippinwhite
08-26-2019, 02:06 PM
@Austin, oh, I SO agree with you on Dylan's voice! Drives me nuts! And my hubs is a major Dylan fan. I don't mind Jack's voice too much. Partly because I think he knows he's not a "singer" per se. He's a songwriter. Kris Kristofferson doesn't have the most fab singing voice ever, but he can interpret a song like nobody's business. Same with Stevie Nicks (ducks the flying debris).

I love country music. Well, GOOD country, of which there isn't much around these days. I don't mind some twang. Doesn't bother me at all. Now, if you want to hear one of the best singers in the genre, listen to Marty Stuart. He has a wonderful voice and can also interpret the heck out of a song. Plus, he's an accomplished instrumentalist and widely regarded as one of the best pickers in Nashville. He might make you re-think some of your opinions on country. LOL. I also like Zac Brown. If you like the country-rock genre, check out his "Colder Weather." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oouFE51HcqM
It's very reminiscent of the singer/songwriter stuff from the 70s. I can so hear James Taylor or Dave Messina singing it.

But I liked OMWF. It's a shame Glenn never got to record it. It would have been a great track for him. Perfectly suited to his voice.

WalshFan88
08-26-2019, 08:38 PM
Joe Don Rooney (lead guitarist for Rascal Flatts) and I have the same birthday. I think he's a pretty good player. The only song of theirs I liked was Me And My Gang, which had the Richie Sambora/Bon Jovi "Livin' On A Prayer" style talkbox with drop D tuned guitars thing on it. Shows my bias, lol, for guitars and 70s/80s rock. Their producer Dann Huff is studio guitarist from the 80s in LA, moved to Nashville as a producer.

Dreamer - their version of Hotel California drove me batty. I'm sorry, but what a fail that was! And I agree on the CMAs. Really?! Even though I think of them as a guitar band, the Eagles are known for vocals. They should have won that. I remember watching them play the CMA's. I wasn't on The Border yet, but I remember being excited to see them. I became a music fan in 2007 and they were why I started playing.

FF - Haha well I'm glad we agree on that. It is funny though how we can agree on those two singers. Nasally voices are just not my thing. In fact, as good as singers they may be, it doesn't matter because it causes such a strong borderline-painful reaction for me. I truly mean no harm, but I won't pretend to like their voices, either. I don't doubt they are good singers. But I'm just can't stand their tone/accent.

Pippin - I guess you could say I'm a diehard rock and roll fan. I love the blues, I love some country, I love RNB. The country songs I tend to like are more in the rock camp. And I don't mean Eagles, CSNY, Flying Burritos country rock. But more classic rock sounding guitar with country type lyrics and/or vocals. I don't really care for rap or electronic music that is prevalent in today's country. I love RNB and even some pop, so I like some of Thomas Rhett's stuff. I really miss the mid 2000s/late 2000s country rock when Jason Aldean and Luke Bryan were starting out with rock-tinged country songs, before they went to rap/hip-hop or EDM. I also loved Montgomery Gentry, because that had that Lynyrd Skynyrd-like guitar sound on there. I really love Eric Church and he's always stayed true to himself. I love that Stonesy guitar on his records. Marty Stuart is a great guitarist and instrumentalist, but it's just not my thing if I'm being honest. I think growing up hearing AC/DC (dad's fav band) and Guns N' Roses (mom's fav band) so much tainted me. :grin:

shunlvswx
08-26-2019, 10:11 PM
See Austin. I'm the opposite. I don't like today's country music. I grew up listening to the 90s country music (even 80s country music) when Tim, Faith, Vince, Garth and others were starting around that time. I get very turned off with today's country. I like twangy, but not too much twangy. Thomas Rhett. I was listening to his father back in the 90s. Jennifer Nettles voice is annoying. Same as Sara Evans.

Back to the song. I just don't like Jack's voice. Its a great song, but I almost couldn't listen to the whole song.

WalshFan88
08-26-2019, 11:45 PM
See Austin. I'm the opposite. I don't like today's country music. I grew up listening to the 90s country music (even 80s country music) when Tim, Faith, Vince, Garth and others were starting around that time. I get very turned off with today's country. I like twangy, but not too much twangy. Thomas Rhett. I was listening to his father back in the 90s. Jennifer Nettles voice is annoying. Same as Sara Evans.

Back to the song. I just don't like Jack's voice. Its a great song, but I almost couldn't listen to the whole song.

I'm just the opposite. I don't care for classic country music. The twang, pedal steel guitar, acoustic-heavy instrumentation is very boring to me. I'm used to hearing AC/DC and seeing Angus Young play through 4 100 watt Marshall full stacks all the way up with his Gibson SG electric guitar.

It feeds into why I don't "get" the early Eagles sound with Bernie. I don't get into them until On The Border, but One Of These Nights was more my bag. And of course you know how I feel about Hotel California and The Long Run. I think once I got the rock bug, mellowness became a turn off.

I like the country songs that are more southern/classic rock or alternatively more RNB influenced. I don't like the rap stuff though, I'll admit that.

WalshFan88
08-27-2019, 12:58 AM
In my opinion, my favorite Glenn and Jack song is Smuggler's Blues.

Not counting Eagles songs. As Glenn solo songs (by any writer), I like YBTTC and THIO. But when I think GF solo masterpiece, I think of Smuggler's Blues. Just like I think the DH solo masterpiece is TBOS.

CAinOH
08-27-2019, 01:18 PM
Austin, you sound like my husband. Does not like country music. Can not stand country music. "The 'countryest' I like my music is the older Eagles songs." However, there is one country music artist he listens to regularly. Says it has more to do with the guy's attitude than the actual music, although he does like his music.

https://content.screencast.com/users/cheryl7821/folders/Default/media/4a6b83e5-dbc7-49af-b2b5-24d5a5345b36/open-the-gate-its-country-music-isee-music-close-the-gate.png

Pippinwhite
08-27-2019, 01:59 PM
@ CAinOH -- :rofl:

WalshFan88
08-27-2019, 07:08 PM
Haha!

You know it's funny, I have always seen Johnny Cash as an early rock n' roll artist and not so much country. I love his music! I put him in the same category as Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, Buddy Holly, Roy Orbison, and Chuck Berry. Maybe that's why your husband likes Johnny's music. And Johnny did have rock-like attitude. He had that "give the middle finger to the man" thing without being overly macho-wacho. That rebellion is what defines rock and roll. You don't see so much of that in country music, at least the classic stuff. I think that edge and the fact he played a lot of uptempo songs is why he's "different".

I think because John wrote and sang from a storytelling and common-man viewpoint (rather than singing about rockstar excess and partying), his music gets categorized as country music because that is so common with classic/traditional/old country. But to me his songs sound like rock n' roll songs. I mean it's hard for me to imagine "Get Rhythm" as anything but an uptempo rock ditty. Even Folsom Prison Blues with that train beat is straight up 50s rock n' roll to me. I think he broke the genre mold. He had elements of gospel, R&B, blues, rockabilly, folk, country, bluegrass, jazz, etc. But his core was just pure early rock n' roll music.

sodascouts
08-27-2019, 08:39 PM
LOL at that cartoon!

As has been noted by others, nowadays country is pretty much old school rock with an accent!

CAinOH
09-08-2019, 07:57 PM
Inside Glenn Frey's Mad Dog Studios in Old Snowmass

https://www.aspentimes.com/news/inside-glenn-freys-mad-dog-studios-in-old-snowmass/?fbclid=IwAR2v7wbI_beGOMqwopsncrDQcPsNPalxxjWTEyC2 SAB7SMh6DuBTmu1dNsA

GlennLover
09-08-2019, 10:44 PM
The true musical treasure of the property is a collection of 40 reel-to-reel tapes of Frey recordings that he left behind at Mad Dog. They’re fragile due to their age and Brown said the contents are unknown. Frey’s wife, Cynthia, he said, has instructed the studio to hang on to them and preserve them until they can attempt to play or transfer them to digital files.
Inside Glenn Frey's Mad Dog Studios in Old Snowmass

https://www.aspentimes.com/news/inside-glenn-freys-mad-dog-studios-in-old-snowmass/?fbclid=IwAR2v7wbI_beGOMqwopsncrDQcPsNPalxxjWTEyC2 SAB7SMh6DuBTmu1dNsA

Interesting. Dare we hope that someday we might hear some rare gems of Glenn’s music that we haven’t heard before? It’s not very likely. :pray:

sodascouts
09-09-2019, 10:02 PM
The true musical treasure of the property is a collection of 40 reel-to-reel tapes of Frey recordings that he left behind at Mad Dog. They’re fragile due to their age and Brown said the contents are unknown. Frey’s wife, Cynthia, he said, has instructed the studio to hang on to them and preserve them until they can attempt to play or transfer them to digital files.

Interesting. Dare we hope that someday we might hear some rare gems of Glenn’s music that we haven’t heard before? It’s not very likely. :pray:

Oh, please, yes!

Glennsallnighter
09-10-2019, 05:17 AM
Wouldn't that be just great?

MarthaJo56
03-07-2020, 05:10 PM
I just ran across an article from 2016 and was caught off guard by this: "According to Henley, Frey also took the lead in developing an Eagles stage musical for Broadway."
Does anyone know if that ever came to fruition? Or did it come to halt when Glenn passed?

https://www.loudersound.com/features/glenn-frey-a-life-lived-in-the-fast-lane

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/5a/75/d6/5a75d6294afe11763beabdab384e6aa2.jpg

03-08-2020, 10:42 AM
Yep - it's true, MJ. Glenn had been working on a Hotel California Broadway Musical show for several years before he passed. I speculate that this is partially the reason he relocated to NYC. Here is a link to a discussion thread about it ...

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?3273-Eagles-musical-quot-Hotel-California-quot&highlight=broadway+musical

If you do a search on the board, you may find additional discussion interspersed throughout other threads as well. Although there were some mentions about Don taking over the project after Glenn passed, apparently it died along with Glenn.

sodascouts
03-11-2020, 10:42 AM
Yep - it's true, MJ. Glenn had been working on a Hotel California Broadway Musical show for several years before he passed. I speculate that this is partially the reason he relocated to NYC. Here is a link to a discussion thread about it ...

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?3273-Eagles-musical-quot-Hotel-California-quot&highlight=broadway+musical

If you do a search on the board, you may find additional discussion interspersed throughout other threads as well. Although there were some mentions about Don taking over the project after Glenn passed, apparently it died along with Glenn.

Honestly, I'm not sure how well it would have worked anyway. It was always a bit hard for me to envision. I'm sure Glenn would have thought of something wonderful, though.

edwardd19
05-26-2020, 05:21 PM
Glenn in the late 80s

https://youtu.be/Dl2952KwKGM