PDA

View Full Version : Celebration of "Long Road Out of Eden"!

Pages : 1 [2]

Shadowland07
11-01-2014, 04:07 PM
It's an alright album, found a sealed copy on vinyl the other day for $25. It would be a better album if "Fast Company" "Frail Grasp on the Big Picture" "It's Your World Now" "Center of the Universe" "Business As Usual" and "I Love to Watch a Woman Dance" were cut from the album. IMO that is and I could be wrong. I think the other songs on the album are stronger than those six.

GlennLover
11-01-2014, 06:15 PM
I agree about Fast Company, but I really like the others. Judging from all the comments about what songs should be on LROOE if it was released as a single album I believe that they were wise to make it a double album. Many of the songs that I would choose to leave off the album if it were single are the ones that others would leave off. There seems to be quite a variance in peoples' favourites.

deb828
11-01-2014, 09:55 PM
I love this album!

Ive always been a dreamer
11-01-2014, 11:03 PM
HAPPY 7TH ANNIVERSARY TO LONG ROAD OUT OF EDEN!!!

I'm one who likes every song on the album, but, obviously, I like some more than others. I actually made myself a single CD with my 12 very favorite songs. Here are the ones I included, although I sequenced them differently ...

1. How Long
2. Waiting In the Weeds
3. Somebody
4. What Do I Do With My Heart
5. Long Road Out of Eden
6. You Are Not Alone
7. I Dreamed There Was No War
8. I Love To Watch a Woman Dance
9. Do Something
10. Last Good Time In Town
11. Business As Usual
12. It's Your World Now

I enjoy listening to it when I don't have time to listen the entire album. And although I totally understand Don's reasons for wanting just one CD, ultimately, I'm very glad that they went with the two discs.

sodascouts
11-04-2014, 12:18 AM
Me too. They probably would have cut songs I like and would have never gotten to hear otherwise. Plus, this way, we get more Joe and Tim songs. You can bet that they would have only gotten one song each on a single disc.

scottside
11-05-2014, 09:59 AM
I had misplaced my copy of this album so I'm a little late with my comments. After listening to it again the past few days, I concede that it's a much better collection of songs than I had thought the first time I heard it 7 years ago. There's a lot of variety and it's a mature work and I can honestly say there's not one song I'm not fond of.

I'm a bit disappointed in Joe's two songs. I had hoped they would rock more than they do. I'm glad that Glenn has as many lead vocals as he does, but I also had hoped he's have a couple more kicking songs. SOMEBODY and HOW LONG fit the bill, but as I really think he can sing rock as well as Henley, it's disappointing to me that he defers to Don Henley often when it comes time to handle those types of songs.

I'm glad that it's a double album, but am curious about the 4-5 songs that were unfinished and not included, according to the 2007 Rolling Stone interview (Henley's words---something to the effect that these songs were better than some that were included on the set. Can't help but to think that he was referring to Glenn's songs there). I'd love to have one more Eagles album or at least some new songs on a forthcoming compilation or live album, but I don't know if that's likely.

Funk 50
11-05-2014, 11:47 AM
It would be a better album if "Fast Company" "Frail Grasp on the Big Picture" "It's Your World Now" "Center of the Universe" "Business As Usual" and "I Love to Watch a Woman Dance" were cut from the album.

You've cannily picked out all my favourites there, Shadowland07. :thumbsup:

Long Road Out Of Eden is not the triumphant masterpiece that we were all kind o' expecting from such a consistently brilliant band. It has many flaws, especially for Walsh fanatics, but it's still a great album, even if it may not be a great Eagles album. I reckon almost all the tracks pass the sing-a-long-ability test of acceptance though.

Every previous Eagles albums, barring the two great sellers, (GH1 & HC) had at least a couple of clunkers on them but where the band were always outstanding in production and performance during the 70s era, LROOE is pretty average fare, probably due to the advances in digital recording technology, in the 21st century.

Excellent production is now the norm, even total beginners are able to record in time and in tune.

I remember Henley stating, shortly after the release of Long Road Out Of Eden, that the album could have done with an extra 6 months (which, of course means, at least 2 years, in normal human time).
In retrospect I think Don was probably right, most of the tracks could've been improved with a bit more tinkering, on top of all the tinkering they'd already done.

Maybe we'll get a great 10 year anniversary update of LROOE in 2017, which will include finished versions of all the unfinished tracks and some upgrades of the familiar tracks then maybe the band would be proud and happy to feature some of the albums tracks in a "History Of The Eagles" tour set list.

Freypower
11-05-2014, 05:39 PM
You've cannily picked out all my favourites there, Shadowland07. :thumbsup:

Long Road Out Of Eden is not the triumphant masterpiece that we were all kind o' expecting from such a consistently brilliant band. It has many flaws, especially for Walsh fanatics, but it's still a great album, even if it may not be a great Eagles album. I reckon almost all the tracks pass the sing-a-long-ability test of acceptance though.

Every previous Eagles albums, barring the two great sellers, (GH1 & HC) had at least a couple of clunkers on them but where the band were always outstanding in production and performance during the 70s era, LROOE is pretty average fare, probably due to the advances in digital recording technology, in the 21st century.

Excellent production is now the norm, even total beginners are able to record in time and in tune.

I remember Henley stating, shortly after the release of Long Road Out Of Eden, that the album could have done with an extra 6 months (which, of course means, at least 2 years, in normal human time).
In retrospect I think Don was probably right, most of the tracks could've been improved with a bit more tinkering, on top of all the tinkering they'd already done.

Maybe we'll get a great 10 year anniversary update of LROOE in 2017, which will include finished versions of all the unfinished tracks and some upgrades of the familiar tracks then maybe the band would be proud and happy to feature some of the albums tracks in a "History Of The Eagles" tour set list.

They were proud enough of the LROOE songs to perform them during that tour. I can't see how they would have then changed their minds because they suddenly decided they weren't happy with the production.

Good luck with this 'unfinished tracks' idea. You already proposed this for Hotel Califrornia and I repeat what I said before; the Eagles don't release unfinished tracks, because they don't keep them.

sodascouts
11-12-2014, 11:28 PM
Never say never, FP. I daresay that 5 years ago, you would have posted a similar response in reply to anyone who hoped that the outtake "After Hours" would see the light of a day on a Glenn Frey solo album.

While I'm not counting on those unfinished Eagles tracks being released, I see nothing wrong in hoping for it.

Brooke
11-13-2014, 10:27 AM
I know they say they don't keep anything, but why would you dispose of good 'ideas'? I've heard lots of song writers say they keep bits and pieces around and dig them out once in a while. Look at Stevie Nicks recent release.

Or are you talking about finished songs? Why would they throw them away? You never know.....

Just have to say I don't believe it.

Funk 50
11-13-2014, 04:50 PM
When Joe said, earlier this year, that the Eagles had new tracks done, I just assumed that they had wrapped up the unfinished Long Road Out Of Eden tracks, to be included as extra tracks on a near future compilation.

As we approach the end of 2014, I'm sure the Eagles will be under pressure to release anniversary editions of their two monster sellers, Greatest Hits and Hotel California in 2015 and 2016. The fact that there are no unreleased rarities in the vaults isn't much of a obstacle.

They've spent the last few years performing every track from Greatest Hits so they could easily re-release it with a disc of recent live recordings.

The Felder issue could prevent revisiting Hotel California in 2016 but I'm sure they could cobble something together.

2017 is then the 10th anniversary of Long Road Out Of Eden, which would be an ideal opportunity to release those new tracks, Joe mentioned.

I believe the unreleased tracks were finished instrumentally but were just awaiting lyrics so the vocals could be worked on. They've had ample time, since to do that. So it's just a matter of how they'll be released.

It'd be great to have a brand new Eagles album to follow Long Road Out Of Eden but after 7 years, I'll be quite happy with a reissue or compilation, as long as there is some new material on it (but not, One Of These Nights part 1, or Born To Boogie rubbish).

Jonny Come Lately
02-05-2015, 06:08 PM
I thought you'd like to know that I picked up a copy of Long Road Out Of Eden this week, and have since uploaded both discs to my iTunes.

I am generally wary of comeback albums and tend to be cynical towards releases by bands late in their careers, which in my experience are defined by weak attempts to recapture their former glory or to keep up with younger bands. Suffice to say that the now infamous 'free gift' U2 album didn't last long on my Apple devices - that album in particular sums up my views of these kind of albums, as both issues are present on it (there was also the minor, insignificant issue of its method of release, but let's not go there...).

However, I am more than happy to make an exception of Long Road Out Of Eden. The first song I heard from the album, about 11 months or so ago, was Waiting In The Weeds, after reading extensive praise for this song I became interested in checking it out. I was impressed with its superb lyrics and beautiful music and vocals. I later checked out How Long, which again impressed me, particularly as it compares well with its 1973 equivalent with the original line up.

Those two are both favourites of mine still. I must admit my favourite sequence of tracks actually stretches across the two discs, starting from Do Something near the end of disc one and ending with Last Good Time In Town on disc two. I am definitely a fan of the ambitious title track, which I consider to be a true epic. I think it's one of the most challenging songs they've ever done, not least down to its length and use of Middle Eastern music - I have no problems listening to long songs though, especially not ones with great lyrics and fantastic guitar work (Walsh's solo is awesome). I Dreamed With No War is worthy of mention too with its beautiful Knopfler-esque guitar, Glenn really did a great job with that one and its Grammy was well deserved.

I know this song is not universally popular, but one I can't stop listening to is Frail Grasp On The Big Picture. I really like its commentary on modern life and I find some of the lyrics humorous - the 'eternal questions' part being the best example. This sort of song definitely appeals to me, as If Dirt Were Dollars is one of my favourites on The End Of The Innocence. I also love the part at the end of the religious verse where the other members come in with the harmony vocals.

Overall my favourite tracks, for now at least, would be:
How Long
Waiting In The Weeds
Do Something
Long Road Out Of Eden
I Dreamed There Was No War
Somebody
Frail Grasp On The Big Picture
Last Good Time In Town

As for the single album or double album issue, I can sympathise with why Don felt it would have been best to release a single album with the less impressive songs removed, but ultimately I have to agree with Glenn - after so many years without a studio album it was only right that they. Besides, the two discs do have their own characters, with disc one mainly featuring old-school country and country rock songs and disc two containing most of the social or political commentary songs.

Funk 50
02-06-2015, 06:50 AM
After seven and a half years listening to it, I can judge the tracks by how many times I listen to them rather than how much I like them.

I do listen to Frail Grasp On The Big Picture much more than I thought I would. I've got used to the guitar in the background that never shuts up until the churchy bit.

The title track is undoubtedly an epic but it's a journey I don't really feel like taking all that often.

Center Of The Universe, Business As Usual and Fast Company, along with FGOTBP are the Henley ones I listen too most, Waiting In The Weeds just behind those,

I listen to Joe's Guilty Of The Crime more than Last Good Time In Town (wish it had a snappier title and disappointed that the "Guitar Statement" was just Joe soloing over a verse and chorus) and I listen to all the Glenn Frey tracks a lot. I guess it's just great to have some new Eagles tracks sung by Glenn to listen to.

I'll occasionally stick on a Timmy track, in fact I even enjoyed the track I listen to least, Busy Being Fabulous, they last time I played it.

It really is about time we had a follow up.

02-06-2015, 10:27 PM
JCL and F50 - Thanks for your comments. I really enjoyed reading them. I love to read posts from fans who have a real appreciation for the band's music. :partytime:

sodascouts
02-07-2015, 12:33 PM
I was just thinking the other day how few bands have comeback albums as strong as LROOE. I wish the band would at least play one track from it on tour!

Funk 50
02-07-2015, 09:26 PM
JCL and F50 - Thanks for your comments. I really enjoyed reading them. I love to read posts from fans who have a real appreciation for the band's music. :partytime:

Thanks, Your Welcome Iabad.

I was totally inspired by Johnny Come Lately's post. I'm moaning that the Eagles haven't released a follow up album after 7 years while JCL is just newly discovering Long Road Out Of Eden.

At least half of what I post comes to me after I've started typing my contribution, so it's always real voyage of discovery for me.

I was just thinking the other day how few bands have comeback albums as strong as LROOE. I wish the band would at least play one track from it on tour!

If Irving judges how successful a venture is by how much money it makes, Long Road Out Of Eden could be deemed a failure in comparison to all their other albums. Even the ones that initially sold very poorly.

Despite being released at the end of October, Long Road Out Of Eden was the 6th highest selling album in the UK in 2007.

1 Back to Black (Amy Winehouse)
2 Spirit (Leona Lewis)
3 Life in Cartoon Motion (Mika)
4 Beautiful World (Take That)
5 Back Home (Westlife)
6 Long Road Out of Eden (Eagles)
7 Yours Truly, Angry Mob (Kaiser Chiefs)
8 Favourite Worst Nightmare (Arctic Monkeys)
9 Shock Value (Timbaland)
10 Good Girl Gone Bad (Rihanna)

Jonny Come Lately
02-08-2015, 04:54 AM
Thanks Funk 50, I'm glad you found my previous post inspiring!

I can totally relate to your comment about a lot of what you post coming to you after starting typing, my posts are often like that as well.

Long Road Out Of Eden may have only been the 6th highest selling album in the UK that year but let's have another look at this list:

2 Spirit (Leona Lewis)
5 Back Home (Westlife)
7 Yours Truly, Angry Mob (Kaiser Chiefs)
8 Favourite Worst Nightmare (Arctic Monkeys)
9 Shock Value (Timbaland)
10 Good Girl Gone Bad (Rihanna)

One of the five albums above the Eagles on this list is by Westlife, a boyband whose appeal was to a rather different demographic - I'd be surprised if many of the people who bought LROOE also acquired this album (I will surprise no one by saying that I certainly don't own any of their music myself). The only other group above them is Take That, who although I would tempted to describe them as a boyband were making more adult pop music by this stage. The top three are all solo artists and were the subject of considerable hype at this time so it's not surprising that they were high up this list. The decline of Amy Winehouse was sad, ultimately leading to her joining the '27 club' alongside the likes of Hendrix and Joplin just four years later, but the other two are names I hear less of nowadays.

By contrast, the Eagles album sold more copies than the albums by two then fairly new UK rock bands, Kaiser Chiefs and the Arctic Monkeys, which isn't bad going. If you discount solo acts then they are third in the list, effectively second (we can discount Westlife I think, but can't ignore Take That).

Funk 50
02-08-2015, 03:47 PM
ll.

Long Road Out Of Eden may have only been the 6th highest selling album in the UK that year but let's have another look at this list:

2 Spirit (Leona Lewis)
5 Back Home (Westlife)

I though making the top six was a fabulous achievement and testament to the Eagles enduring popularity, 28 years after releasing The Long Run.

Mika's had his 15 minutes of fame. Westlife were a successfully marketed boy band. The other 3 albums are all included in the UK's top 40 selling albums all of all time.

http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/the-official-top-40-biggest-selling-albums-of-all-time-2288/

1 Back to Black (Amy Winehouse) :: 13
2 Spirit (Leona Lewis) :: 21
4 Beautiful World (Take That) :: 32

And I bet those artists (except AW, of course, RIP) still perform songs from said albums to rapturous response from their audiences.

chaim
02-08-2015, 04:37 PM
The Grammy for "I dreamed there was no war" was mentioned. It never ceases to amaze me how Glenn has stepped back as a guitarist and a singer in the Eagles (and Henley is praised as "the" vocalist and Felder/Walsh as the players) yet it seems to be the songs he's heavily involved/associated with that win all the awards!
Glenn - the lesser guitarist - winning a Grammy for his guitar work in the Eagles, how ironic is that? I guess they didn't bother to check who's playing the guitar. Probably thought it was Felder...

Having said that, I'm not a huge fan of IDTWNW, although I'm a huge Glenn fan.

Freypower
02-08-2015, 06:03 PM
The Grammy for "I dreamed there was no war" was mentioned. It never ceases to amaze he how Glenn has stepped back as a guitarist and a singer in the Eagles (and Henley is praised as "the" vocalist and Felder/Walsh as the players) yet it seems to be the songs he's heavily involved/associated with that win all the awards!
Glenn - the lesser guitarist - winning a Grammy for his guitar work in the Eagles, how ironic is that? I guess they didn't bother to check who's playing the guitar. Probably thought it was Felder...

Having said that, I'm not a huge fan of IDTWNW, although I'm a huge Glenn fan.

He regained his role as a singer with the LROOE album, fortunately, even if none of the songs are played live any more. All their Grammy awards are for his songs except for Hotel California.

chaim
02-08-2015, 06:20 PM
I wonder why Glenn sang more again. Was it because Don had had a very successful solo career and Glenn wanted more people to hear him too. Or did he feel in the 70's that Don's voice could guarantee them success, but in the 00's he didn't have to think about that anymore because they were already successful? Anyway, Glenn singing How Long on the album (after the No More Walks In The Wood intro) was like Take It Easy all over again.

Freypower
02-08-2015, 06:48 PM
I wonder why Glenn sang more again. Was it because Don had had a very successful solo career and Glenn wanted more people to hear him too. Or did he feel in the 70's that Don's voice could guarantee them success, but in the 00's he didn't have to think about that anymore because they were already successful? Anyway, Glenn singing How Long on the album (after the No More Walks In The Wood intro) was like Take It Easy all over again.

I think it's a combination of these. I think when he decided it would be a double album it would not have looked good if he had only sung one song per disc. I'm deeply grateful. I just wish that for once he could have sung a 'political' song.

sodascouts
02-08-2015, 10:02 PM
Maybe Glenn regained some confidence in his own voice's power after having some solo success, although he continues to downplay his vocals next to Don's.

The Grammy for "I dreamed there was no war" was mentioned. It never ceases to amaze me how Glenn has stepped back as a guitarist and a singer in the Eagles (and Henley is praised as "the" vocalist and Felder/Walsh as the players) yet it seems to be the songs he's heavily involved/associated with that win all the awards!
Glenn - the lesser guitarist - winning a Grammy for his guitar work in the Eagles, how ironic is that? I guess they didn't bother to check who's playing the guitar. Probably thought it was Felder...I had the privilege of hearing him play it live. He really poured himself into it. It was STAGGERING.

shunlvswx
02-08-2015, 11:20 PM
I have to admit but some of my favorite Eagle songs is when Glenn sings. :stunned: Wait!!! Did I just say that. LOL OOps. I met Don. LOL Don is still my favorite. I think I'm confused.

Freypower
02-09-2015, 12:05 AM
I have to admit but some of my favorite Eagle songs is when Glenn sings. :stunned: Wait!!! Did I just say that. LOL OOps. I met Don. LOL Don is still my favorite. I think I'm confused.

You can like both of them, you know. Liking some of the songs sung by Glenn doesn't change who your favourite is. :)

Funk 50
02-10-2015, 06:00 PM

With Glenn and Don now taking the bulk of the money, it's only right that they carry the bulk of the workload equally between them.

I don't know how it would've panned out had it been a single disc, certainly one track each for Joe and Tim beyond that it'd be LROOE Song Survivor X 10.

The 2 disc idea was probably one of several major compromises to avert friction.

chaim
02-11-2015, 03:49 AM
With Glenn and Don now taking the bulk of the money, it's only right that they carry the bulk of the workload equally between them.

I don't know how it would've panned out had it been a single disc, certainly one track each for Joe and Tim beyond that it'd be LROOE Song Survivor X 10.

The 2 disc idea was probably one of several major compromises to avert friction.

But didn't at least Randy, Glenn and both Dons get an equal amount of money during the HC days (I could be wrong, I'm not an expert on these matters), but still Don sang almost everything? Not sure if "workload" equals "singing". Glenn probably has done also a lot of work for the Eagles that has nothing to do with music. And one can work a lot on songs without singing them. So even if Don had sung much more on LROOE, I don't think I'd gone, "Oh, Glenn doesn't work as much as Don".

UndertheWire
02-11-2015, 07:45 AM
That's a good point, Toni (I remembered!) Also we don't know what the deal was for LROOE. It won't have been the same as for HFO, obviously, and our only knowledge of any deals comes from Felder.

I don't think you can tell how much indiviudal members contribute just by looking at recording credits or even by what they do during a performance. From many sources, I have the impression that Frey has always put in a lot of work behind the scenes and the others recognise that.

Funk 50
02-11-2015, 08:27 AM
It was Glynn Johns who wanted the Eagles to share out the lead vocals. Obviously Szymczyk wasn't as bothered.

If the band are all benefiting equally, and Tim said they were when he joined, there is obviously going to be a lot less friction about everybody pulling their weight. Successfully integrating Joe Walsh was the major issue for Hotel California, you can tell by how prominently he features in the albums sleeve notes but they all benefited equally from the compromises they made to make that album great.

Once, two guys are on more than the rest then they are obliged to contribute more than the lower paid band members.

Felder put up with all the "Hell" until Glenn and Don got a bigger cut of the money.
Iif you just watched the second set of an Eagles concert, you'd think Walsh was earning the biggest chunk of the money.

Don and Glenn are both great singers but I reckon Don's voice is better suited to a greater range of styles than Glenn. Which explains why Don sang more as the Eagles broadened their material. I think Tim's a great singer but he has the least range. Which explains why his lead vocals are limited.

Joe's voice isn't up with Don, Glenn and Tim but the range of songs he's sung probably eclipses them all.

Glenn's voice is best suited to their early country rock material which they partly returned to with Long Road Out Of Eden. His readiness to take a back seat for the benefit of the band is really admirable.

During the recording of Long Road Out Of Eden, the prime mover on each track was almost always the lead singer. The second half of the recording process had Glenn and Don working independently in different studios and Don commented that the band didn't communicate as much as they used to during the process of making the Album.

I just hope they haven't reduced Joe's input because he's on reduced wages.

thelastresort
02-11-2015, 08:59 AM
Glenn probably has done also a lot of work for the Eagles that has nothing to do with music.

I envisage that Glenn does a lot of the technical behind the scenes work for the band, for example he was one of the executive producers of the Farewell 1 DVD I think. He also did the likes of orchestrations with Richard FW Davis on LROOE. He strikes me as being a polymath, at least as far as the Eagles goes.

UndertheWire
02-11-2015, 09:29 AM
There's a bit in Felder's book where he writes about a letter from Glenn in 1999 about recording a new album and that Glenn stipulates how many of his songs should be included. I've also heard/read an interview from Glenn where he says making LROOE a 2 disc CD meant they could have two songs each from Joe and Tim. Don and Glenn have approximately 6 lead vocals each. It does sound like this was worked out according to a formula in the hope that it would keep everyone happy.

Dangerous ground, but it does make me wonder if the financial split was 3/8 each for Henley and Frey and 1/8 each for Schmit and Walsh. That would fit with Felder's claim of the deal he was offered in 2000.

sodascouts
02-11-2015, 02:21 PM
I think they would get more without Felder to share: 1/6 each for Joe and Tim, 1/3 each for Glenn and Don.

Funk 50
02-11-2015, 02:52 PM
There are lot of other people to pay, besides the band members. How can you ignore Irving's cut? :shock:

From memory, and I wasn't really paying attention, the cut was something like Glen & Don, 2/7ths, Joe and Tim, 1/7th, 1/7 everybody else. Even the everybody elses seem to be earning tonne of money but I try to ignore the non music stuff.

sodascouts
02-11-2015, 05:02 PM
Well, Irving wasn't included in the 1/7 split Felder was displeased with, so why would he be included in the version without Felder? As their manager, he gets a percentile of everyone's shares already; why should he be paid twice?

I assume the split is of the net, after everyone else has been paid, including Irving.

I'm sure Irving's got his hand in other Eagles pies, but this split isn't inclusive of all their revenue streams.

Jonny Come Lately
02-11-2015, 05:36 PM
Don and Glenn are both great singers but I reckon Don's voice is better suited to a greater range of styles than Glenn. Which explains why Don sang more as the Eagles broadened their material. I think Tim's a great singer but he has the least range. Which explains why his lead vocals are limited.

Joe's voice isn't up with Don, Glenn and Tim but the range of songs he's sung probably eclipses them all.

Glenn's voice is best suited to their early country rock material which they partly returned to with Long Road Out Of Eden. His readiness to take a back seat for the benefit of the band is really admirable.

I thought your comments about the vocals were interesting. I agree about Tim's vocals - I found his voice took some getting used to after Randy's but I like it now, but I would definitely say that he can only really sing country songs and soft rock ballads. His voice is too soft to sing out-and-out rockers IMO - unlike Randy, who had songs like Tryin' and Too Many Hands. If Tim has any such songs on his solo albums or indeed for Poco (who am I far from an expert on) please correct me. I find it difficult to describe the difference between their two voices, but there definitely is one.

Don can sing most types of songs I think but I think he is the best in the band at singing rock songs which have a certain edge (the likes of LITFL or Victim Of Love) or rhythm and blues inspired songs (One Of These Nights, The Long Run) which obviously helped him become the dominant lead vocalist in the late 1970s as the Eagles moved away from country and country rock towards harder rock and R&B. Glenn I agree is well suited to country rock songs - Take It Easy, Peaceful Easy Feeling etc. - but I think he also has a voice suited to rock and roll songs (think of James Dean or Heartache Tonight) - but I definitely think that breed of Chuck Berry-inspired, fast paced rockers are more suited to him than the rockers the Eagles performed in the Hotel California and The Long Run era, with the obvious exception of Heartache. Of course, LROOE not only had more country rock songs - partially, but not entirely down to Glenn (I'd say You Are Not Alone fits this description, for instance, but so does Do Something) - but also had How Long, which is very much Glenn's kind of rocker (even though Henley sings the middle verse).

02-14-2015, 03:10 PM
I pretty much agree with your post, JCL.

Of course, I love both Don's and Glenn's vocals, but I don't agree with the sentiment that Don's voice is better suited to a greater range of styles than Glenn. This is JMO, but I actually think that one of the main appeals of Glenn's voice is his versatility and range. I think I can best describe what I mean by saying that what I love a lot about Don's voice is that it is unmistakably the Henley voice - no matter what key or range he is singing in, I can tell it's him because of it's unique quality. Almost the opposite is true for Glenn - he has the ability to change his voice to the point that it is sometimes hard to tell it's him. One of the examples I always give of this in listening to How Long and then, his very next vocal, which is What Do I Do With My Heart. I remember the first time I played the LROOE CD for my aunt, I had a hard time convincing her it was the same guy singing both songs. I absolutely love listening to Glenn's uptempo rockers in both his Eagles and solo work.

UndertheWire
02-15-2015, 12:12 PM
It was LROOE that turned me to the Frey side. I'd always preferred Don's singing on the 70s recordings but on these CDs I like Glenn's better. Don seems to be more reliable when singing live, but I love what Glenn can do in a studio.

Brooke
02-16-2015, 11:29 AM
I pretty much agree with your post, JCL.

Of course, I love both Don's and Glenn's vocals, but I don't agree with the sentiment that Don's voice is better suited to a greater range of styles than Glenn. This is JMO, but I actually think that one of the main appeals of Glenn's voice is his versatility and range. I think I can best describe what I mean by saying that what I love a lot about Don's voice is that it is unmistakably the Henley voice - no matter what key or range he is singing in, I can tell it's him because of it's unique quality. Almost the opposite is true for Glenn - he has the ability to change his voice to the point that it is sometimes hard to tell it's him. One of the examples I always give of this in listening to How Long and then, his very next vocal, which is What Do I Do With My Heart. I remember the first time I played the LROOE CD for my aunt, I had a hard time convincing her it was the same guy singing both songs. I absolutely love listening to Glenn's uptempo rockers in both his Eagles and solo work.

Glenn does have great versatility with his voice. My example would be Somebody from LROOE and then the ones you mentioned, Dreamer. I listened to Somebody several times before I had decided that it was Glenn singing! I couldn't believe it! I had it taped on cassette, no less, from some radio interview back when LROOE came out and before the cd was out to know for sure!

Shadowland07
02-17-2015, 04:43 PM
I went and bought LROOE on vinyl today, and I'm hoping that the other 8 songs grow on me.

Funk 50
02-17-2015, 05:27 PM
I find the Eagles vocalists very distinctive. Never had a problem telling who the lead singer is. And then they all merge into those fabulous harmonies.

Branching out to The Flying Burrito Brothers, Poco and even Joe's Barnstorm and The James Gang, I had, and sometimes still do, have great difficulty trying to figure out who is singing.

I think the people writing out the credits on those album sleeves were often clueless too.

I went and bought LROOE on vinyl today, and I'm hoping that the other 8 songs grow on me.

I've greatly enjoyed every track on Long Road Out Of Eden at some point or other but I don't recall playing the LPs or CDs from start to finish but I must've done.

I played my Joe Walsh albums on vinyl so much that I have to play the tracks in the order they appear on the LP otherwise I experience withdrawal symptons. Track sequencing isn't as important as it used to be.

I did make a single CD of LROOE. It started with Business As Usual. If I did one now, I'm pretty sure I'd start with How Long. By the time the album came out, I was already pretty familiar with How Long. I wanted to get acquainted with the more obscure tracks.

I hope you enjoy it Shadowland07.

02-17-2015, 08:16 PM
Yep - I hope you enjoy LROOE, SL.

I also made a single disc, but I rarely play it. It doesn't feel right - seems like it's incomplete or something. :doh:

Jonny Come Lately
02-18-2015, 12:06 PM
Having read other comments about how the album may have turned out had it been released as a single disc, I think I'll give my preferred single disc version of LROOE.

I think the most important choices to be made are where there are two tracks which are fairly similar to each other, IMO there are two of these:
- You Are Not Alone and It's Your World Now, both Glenn songs which bring the respective CDs to a close. Part of me thinks I should go for the latter as thematically it's probably better as the closing track, but musically I prefer the former. So You Are Not Alone it is.
- Frail Grasp On The Big Picture and Business As Usual, both Don Henley social commentary songs which are among the more rocking songs on the album. I seem to be fairly unusual in really liking Frail Grasp, more so than Business As Usual, so I'll take that one.

I also suspect that had LROOE been released as a single album there would only have been one track each by Joe and Tim. I found these to be quite easy to choose, I definitely prefer Last Good Time In Town to Guilty Of The Crime, not least because it's an original Eagles song. Same goes for Do Something over I Don't Want To Hear Any More.

There are three songs where I had been involved in making the album I would have absolutely insisted the band include no matter what - excluding the title track for obvious reasons, these would have been How Long, Waiting In The Weeds and Somebody.

So here's my tracklisting:
1. No More Walks In The Woods
2. How Long
3. Busy Being Fabulous
4. Center Of The Universe
5. Waiting In The Weeds
6. Do Something
7. Long Road Out Of Eden
8. I Dreamed There Was No War
9. Somebody
10. Frail Grasp On The Big Picture
11. Last Good Time In Town
12. You Are Not Alone

I probably have a slight bias towards Don's songs over Glenn's on this album, so this might explain some of my choices. I've also noticed that the first half is mostly country/acoustic with the exception of How Long, while the second half is mostly rock except for IDTWNW and YANA. Maybe Center Of The Universe is perhaps a little early in the tracklisting in would be better between Last Good Time In Town or You Are Not Alone, I'm not sure.

F50, I have the same issue when listening to Wishbone Ash as you do with Poco and The Flying Burrito Brothers - I find it hard to tell which one of the three singers is singing at any one time. It doesn't bother me too much in their case though as they are predominantly a twin-lead guitar rock band. Like you I've never had any problem telling the Eagles vocalists apart - I remember when I first listened to One Of These Nights, my second Eagles album, I could tell straight away that it was Randy singing Too Many Hands and Take It To The Limit and Glenn singing Lyin' Eyes as well as on ATTIG, and I could tell that Visions and I Wish You Peace were by different vocalists even though I hadn't heard Felder or Bernie sing lead before.

Funk 50
02-18-2015, 01:00 PM
Actually you've got me beat with Visions JCL.

It's a whole new topic but I'd have difficulty recognising the band playing Visions, never mind, the lead vocalist. All the vocals are so multi-tracked, it could be anybody singing.

I'm trying to think of Eagles tracks now, that don't sound like Eagles tracks.

Journey Of The Sorcerer is the obvious one.

The harmony vocals are always the real giveaway but LROOE tracks I Don't Want To Hear It Anymore, Last Good Time In Town and What Do I Do With My Heart, plus the Grammy winning instrumental sound un Eagly. You can broaden your boundaries a bit more on a double CD though.

Jonny Come Lately
02-18-2015, 02:26 PM
I think The Disco Strangler should be added to your list - its lack of backing vocals of any kind and the very repetitive and in your face guitar riff makes it sound rather unlike the Eagles. Don Henley's voice is recognisable, but if I didn't know better I'd have said that it was a Henley solo track rather than the Eagles. I also feel that Out Of Control is not that immediately recognisable as their music, more so than any of their other rockers - Already Gone, by contrast, I consider to pure Eagles, and as I've said before I couldn't imagine any other band doing that song as well.

The most Eagles-y tracks on LROOE to my mind are NMWITW (Seven Bridges Road-esque vocal harmonies), Busy Being Fabulous, Somebody, Center Of The Universe, and, rather unsurprisingly, How Long. To a lesser extent I would also include the title track, Do Something, You Are Not Alone and Frail Grasp. Fast Company is a strange one - on one hand Henley's falsetto in the verses and the use of horns is very un-Eagles, the guitars sound much like On The Border or LITFL to me. Without prior information I would have mistaken IDTWNW for Mark Knopfler, while I think Last Good Time In Town sounds kind of like Santana, although that does have Joe's distinctive vocals. I find it a bit more difficult to describe why WDIDWMH and IDWTHAM don't sound like Eagles songs, but you're right in saying that they don't, I think.

I could give a couple of examples for other bands as well - San Tropez has never really sounded like a Pink Floyd track to me, being so outwardly happy in its sound and outlook, and the music sounds more like jazz than typical Floyd, while much of Led Zeppelin's In Through The Out Door album, with its prominent use of keyboards and synthesisers on songs like Southbound Saurez or All My Love is practically unrecognisable as the band that brought the world Communication Breakdown and Whole Lotta Love. I don't think it's a coincidence that Jimmy Page isn't credited as a writer on either of the ITTOD tracks I mentioned.

Funk 50
02-22-2015, 02:08 PM
The most Eagles-y tracks on LROOE to my mind are NMWITW (Seven Bridges Road-esque vocal harmonies), Busy Being Fabulous, Somebody, Center Of The Universe, and, rather unsurprisingly, How Long. To a lesser extent I would also include the title track, Do Something, You Are Not Alone and Frail Grasp. Fast Company is a strange one - on one hand Henley's falsetto in the verses and the use of horns is very un-Eagles, the guitars sound much like On The Border or LITFL to me. Without prior information I would have mistaken IDTWNW for Mark Knopfler, while I think Last Good Time In Town sounds kind of like Santana, although that does have Joe's distinctive vocals. I find it a bit more difficult to describe why WDIDWMH and IDWTHAM don't sound like Eagles songs, but you're right in saying that they don't, I think.

I think the biggest "sore thumb" track on Long Road Out Of Eden is the title track. Some of it sounds like classic Eagles but it doesn't really fit with the other tracks and as such it'd be the first track to be thrown out if LROOE (the album would have to be renamed) was cut to a single disc.

Maybe the fact that they were talking about it long before it was released, forced the Eagles to stretch the album out to a double disc rather than cut the centerpiece title track.

I agree about I Dreamed There Was No More War. Even the title is un-Eaglish. Last Good Time In Town, I'd say is more Steely Dan-ish groove wise. I wish somebody had talked Joe out of the whispering bit. I didn't like it in, The Confessor either or Glenn's, Let's Pretend We're Still In Love.

Fast Company, I'd say is the closest track to The Long Run, Eagles. If it wasn't a Szymczyk production, I'd love to know who the producer was.

I've worked out a few single disc track sequences since it was released in 2007. I'm working on another. I'm convinced, Waiting In The Weeds should be the opener.

thelastresort
02-22-2015, 02:15 PM
Don't care for either LGTIT (easily IMO Joe's worst Eagles contribution) or Fast Company (just downright bizarre), but I love the title track. It is a bit of out place on the album in general, and drags, granted, but I would also argue it's the best work Henley and Frey (and TBS) have churned out since the mid-70s. There's about three or four lines in it I would put forward as Henley's finest ever lyrics and Joe's guitar solo is one of his best.

Freypower
02-22-2015, 05:58 PM
I think the biggest "sore thumb" track on Long Road Out Of Eden is the title track. Some of it sounds like classic Eagles but it doesn't really fit with the other tracks and as such it'd be the first track to be thrown out if LROOE (the album would have to be renamed) was cut to a single disc.

Maybe the fact that they were talking about it long before it was released, forced the Eagles to stretch the album out to a double disc rather than cut the centerpiece title track.

I agree about I Dreamed There Was No More War. Even the title is un-Eaglish. Last Good Time In Town, I'd say is more Steely Dan-ish groove wise. I wish somebody had talked Joe out of the whispering bit. I didn't like it in, The Confessor either or Glenn's, Let's Pretend We're Still In Love.

Fast Company, I'd say is the closest track to The Long Run, Eagles. If it wasn't a Szymczyk production, I'd love to know who the producer was.

I've worked out a few single disc track sequences since it was released in 2007. I'm working on another. I'm convinced, Waiting In The Weeds should be the opener.

I completely disagree that the title track doesn't fit with the other tracks. As it's my favourite track on the album I also can't agree that it would be the first track to go if it were a single CD.

Why is the title of I Dreamed There Was No War 'un Eaglish' What is an 'Eaglish song title'?. I also assume that implicit in your criticism of it is that you agreed with JCL that it sounds like Mark Knopfler. For the record, can I proudly state, that yes, it does.

The whispering in LGTIT is done by Glenn.

As for Fast Company, the album was produced by the Eagles. There was talk that Szymcyzk was going to produce it, but he doesn't have a credit.

AlreadyGone95
06-04-2015, 01:57 AM
I bought this album last week at FYE, and I just now got a chance to sit down and give it a full listen. Here's my first listen ratings/thoughts.
*side note- I remember seeing this album in Walmart when it first came out (I was 12). I was like "Mom, look! The Eagles. They've released a new album! I thought that you told me they broke up?!" My mom said "They did. They're not together anymore. This must be a different band." :hilarious: :oops: .
My mom still believed this until last year when I bought the live from Melbourne dvd and she saw that it was from 2004!

Anyways, here's my rating system (I do in between numbers on songs I can't decide)
5- favorite
4- great
3- good
2- meh
1- sucks

Disc 1:
No More Walks in the Wood- 4, love the harmonies
How Long- 5, possibly my favorite on the album
Busy Being Fabulous- 3, I love the video, but the song doesn't do much for me
WDIDWMH- 2, eh, just not my song, I don't like Glenn's vocals on this one.
Guilty of the Crime- 4, a hard rocker! Yes! I love the keyboards on the song
IDWTHAM- 4.5, I'm shocked at how much am I enjoyed Tim's voice. I normally don't like the higher pitched singing much
Waiting in the Woods- 4.5, beautiful song and harmonies
No More Cloudy Days- 4, I'm not a big fan of love songs much, but this is an exception. I kind of see it not as a love song, but as a 2nd chance kind of song.
Fast Company - 3, Um, serious question. Is that Don doing the vocals? I don't like the vocals, but I enjoy the music.
Do Something- 3, I like the lyrics, but not the vocals
You Are Not Alone - 5, Beautiful, poignant, short, and simple. I love it. Songs like this are what give me hope for my future. As a person who has experienced alot of pain, turmoil, depression, and adversity in their relatively short life, this song speaks volumes. Didn't Glenn write this for his daughter?

Disc 2:
LROOE- 4.5, I love the song, but I don't like the intro. Am I the only one who thinks that in the lead up to the choruses, this song sounds like Silver Springs by Fleetwood Mac?
I Dreamed there was No War- 5, I love how LROOE segways into this short,simple, beautiful instrumental.
Somebody- 5, upbeat, creepy, I love it. It reminds me of Smuggler's Blues or THIO.
Frail Grasp- 4, I can't understand why this song is one of the least liked on the album (from what I gathered). It's a bit controversial, but I like it alot. I think it's meant to be somewhat humorous
Last Good Time in Town-3.5 not bad, but the weaker of Joe's 2 songs, imo
ILTWAWD- 1.5 I love Glenn, but it took all I could do to not hit the skip button. I don't want to say it sucks, but it's my least favorite song on the album for sure
Business as Usual - 3, not bad, but not memorable
Center of the Universe -3.5, love the harmonies
It's Your World Now- 4, love Glenn's vocals

Like most of ya'll, I could get this album down to 12-15 songs and be really happy with it. Overall, this is a great album. There's a few clunkers, but I can deal with them.

Now, to get my hands on the deluxe edition of this album!

Brooke
06-04-2015, 11:47 AM
Nice review, AG. I agree with you on most all the songs there.

Btw, has your mom been living under a rock or what?! :lol:

AlreadyGone95
06-04-2015, 12:09 PM
Nice review, AG. I agree with you on most all the songs there.

Btw, has your mom been living under a rock or what?! :lol:

Thanks Brooke! :)

I..er... she's only a casual music fan. She like the songs she hears on the radio, but that's it. She doesn't care about owning music or keeping up with bands. I'm the exact opposite!

thelastresort
06-04-2015, 01:24 PM
I'll share my thoughts (anything to avoid revision! :lol:)

No More Walks in the Wood - Not a fan. It sounds like exactly what it is - a poem. Not even the harmonies can save it.
How Long - Probably the most listenable song on the album. I prefer the 70s version for it's grittiness, but definitely one of the stronger songs on the album.
Busy Being Fabulous - Decent lyrically, and I like the video, but something just doesn't click with it for me.
What Do I Do with My Heart - Superb, Glenn's voice near the end is one of the best I've known him do with the Eagles. I love the mellow feeling to the song.
Guilty of the Crime - The better of Joe's vocal contributions to the album. It's a bit like How Long, a good old-school country rocker that's very listenable and has a good sing-along chorus.
I Don't Want to Hear Any More - Reminds me of Dr. Hook (that's a good thing ;)). I'm very fond of TBS's contributions to LROOE, it finally feels like he came into the fold of songwriting and production.
Waiting in the Weeds - Probably my second favourite song on the album. Love the acoustic vibe and the mandolin, and is one of Henley's better leads on the album. I love the 'I've been biding time...' verse, absolutely superb songwriting.
No More Cloudy Days - I've expressed before how I'm not a fan of this song, it feels like LTBS or TGFY off of Hell Freezes Over, a bit bland and musically uninspiring.
Fast Company - Dear God no.
Do Something - Another good country number, and probably my favourite TBS vocal with the Eagles. Unlike some on hear, I actually like Don's line and contribution, just adds another extra dimension to it.
You Are Not Alone - Beautiful song. I believe Glenn wrote it with his daughter in mind (or something) but the words mean something to us all, always worth remembering if you're down. Also probably the best showcase of Glenn's multi-instrumental and arranging talents.
Long Road Out of Eden - An absolute masterpiece, if they'd have written it back in the 70s it would be their most-lorded work. I love the Arabic-themed music, Joe's solo, Don and Glenn's harmonising and most of all the lyrics. Only one to hold a candle to The Last Resort in that regard. My favourite on the album and in my top 5 Eagles songs ever.
I Dreamed There Was No War - Beautiful and touching in equal measure. Fully deserving of its Grammy, and I can only wish Glenn would play it live with the guys (imagine him on guitar and Joe on keyboard to start the second set!).
Somebody - Glenn's vocals here are excellent, on a par with the likes of NKIT and Lyin' Eyes for me. The way he sneers 'And he's calling you home' is probably my favourite delivery of a line on the album, so chilling.
Frail Grasp on the Big Picture - I love the words, I hate the music. Much like Fast Company, it's so ill-fitting.
Last Good Time in Town - The chorus is the only redeeming feature.
I Love to Watch a Woman Dance - Again going against the grain, I love it. Probably would have been better suited to After Hours but it's a beautiful song.
Business As Usual - The more I listen to it, the less I dislike it. Not really much else to say on that one.
Center of the Universe - I like this a lot. It's very good musically and lyrically reminds me of Best of My Love or similar, kind of sentimental but very blunt with the message. I hope that makes sense...
It's Your World Now - Not the strongest song to end on, but I can deal with it. I do like the finishing on a positive note, arguably only the first album and OOTN do the same.

AlreadyGone95
06-04-2015, 01:46 PM
I agree that I Love to Watch a Woman Dance would've been better suited for After Hours. It has the 40s/50s feel to it. Personally, after 10 seconds of the song, I was ready to hit the skip button. It immediately rubbed me the wrong way.

sodascouts
06-07-2015, 06:03 PM
Thanks for your thoughts, tlr. It really is a good album, even if the Eagles pretend it doesn't exist in terms of playing anything from it live.

thelastresort
06-21-2015, 05:13 PM
I'm sure there's a thread somewhere on here that's more suited but I can't find it, so here we are: for those of you fortunate enough to see the guys on this tour, did Don do drumming (or percussion) on any of the LROOE songs? I've seen footage of him up front for HL, WITW, LROOE and GOTC but I was wondering what he did for the likes of IDWTHAM and Somebody? Also, was it on this tour on the current one that Crago moved to the main kit for RMW?

shunlvswx
06-21-2015, 05:46 PM
I saw two clips of Don on the percussions for IDWTHA.

Freypower
06-21-2015, 06:29 PM
I'm sure there's a thread somewhere on here that's more suited but I can't find it, so here we are: for those of you fortunate enough to see the guys on this tour, did Don do drumming (or percussion) on any of the LROOE songs? I've seen footage of him up front for HL, WITW, LROOE and GOTC but I was wondering what he did for the likes of IDWTHAM and Somebody? Also, was it on this tour on the current one that Crago moved to the main kit for RMW?

Scott started playing drums for both RMW & LITFL on the LROOE tour. Don only played percussion on lDWTHAM as stated. I have to say it made me even more dubious that he played any drums at all on the actual album. He is credited; but we don't know which songs he plays on.

thelastresort
06-21-2015, 07:03 PM
Thanks both, IDWTHAM makes sense as it doesn't really strike me as being a Henley-friendly guitar tab, it's very slow and staccato.

FP - I feel the same too, I even extend that thought to Joe for some songs. For example, I just can't imagine Don playing the military-style snare at the very end of LROOE, it's got Scott's fluidity written all over it. I honestly get the feeling that if he could, Don wouldn't play the drums at all in concerts.

One thing I did notice about the album as a whole is the use of machine-sounding percussion vice drums in some songs - see the first half of HITW (it's an extra on the UK release so counts ;)) and LGTIT.

Freypower
06-21-2015, 07:07 PM
Thanks both, IDWTHAM makes sense as it doesn't really strike me as being a Henley-friendly guitar tab, it's very slow and staccato.

FP - I feel the same too, I even extend that thought to Joe for some songs. For example, I just can't imagine Don playing the military-style snare at the very end of LROOE, it's got Scott's fluidity written all over it. I honestly get the feeling that if he could, Don wouldn't play the drums at all in concerts.

One thing I did notice about the album as a whole is the use of machine-sounding percussion vice drums in some songs - see the first half of HITW (it's an extra on the UK release so counts ;)) and LGTIT.

I wouldn't go that far. I honestly thought the best aspect of the HOTE shows was watching him play. I thought he was really enjoying himself, particularly when he got to play on a couple of tracks he hadn't played on for decades.

thelastresort
06-21-2015, 07:21 PM
I wouldn't go that far. I honestly thought the best aspect of the HOTE shows was watching him play. I thought he was really enjoying himself, particularly when he got to play on a couple of tracks he hadn't played on for decades.

Surely the best part of any Eagles concert is Glenn? ;)

I can see what you mean, but I think if he loved playng Tequila Sunrise on the drums so much it wouldn't have taken him just short of two decades to do so (granted there's other factors to consider). I loved to see him on his simplified kit for WW and the likes of Doolin-Dalton, but I still get the impression he does it because that's what the punters expect.

I would love to know how he and Scott divide up duties though. For example, why play drums on Already Gone and Life's Been Good, but not for Funk #49 or The Long Run? Why did he stop drumming on Life in the Fast Lane, yet still plays them consummately on One of These Nights or Hotel California?

Freypower
06-21-2015, 07:30 PM
Surely the best part of any Eagles concert is Glenn? ;)

I can see what you mean, but I think if he loved playng Tequila Sunrise on the drums so much it wouldn't have taken him just short of two decades to do so (granted there's other factors to consider). I loved to see him on his simplified kit for WW and the likes of Doolin-Dalton, but I still get the impression he does it because that's what the punters expect.

I would love to know how he and Scott divide up duties though. For example, why play drums on Already Gone and Life's Been Good, but not for Funk #49 or The Long Run? Why did he stop drumming on Life in the Fast Lane, yet still plays them consummately on One of These Nights or Hotel California?

Unfortunately I was disappointed by Glenn's level of participation in HOTE. I had seen him in the AH tour & I had been spoiled. I thought he didn't have enough to do. His songs seemed to get buried. I've never seen him so low key.

I have no idea how Don chooses which songs he wishes to play drums on but regarding Funk #49 he's never done it. He probably thought LITFL was too fast. As for The Long Run I don't like the upfront with the hand mic stuff & I never have, but I seem to be alone in this opinion. I understand why he wants to be down the front for that song but because I basically don't like it I find it hard to enjoy it.

ETA: Don also played percussion on GOTC. I saw this & IDWTHAM the grand total of once before both were dropped. I saw Somebody 3 times in 4 nights.

A comment was made in the BBF thread about Somebody sounding more like a Frey solo song. This has also been said on numerous occasions about ILTWAWD & could, in fact, be said about all Glenn's songs on this album with the exception of How Long (or WDIDWMH because of Don's co-lead). I would submit, however, that Somebody gets closer to the Eagles than his ballads because it has great harmonies by Don & Tim & great guitar & organ work.

So why is this the case, more than for the other members' songs? I think he wanted to reassert himself as a singer & to do that the songs he did had to be primarily vocal showcases. In the case of the lyrics they are extremely personal which was a first for him in terms of Eagles songs. YANA & IYWN are HIS songs in terms of what he's saying, even thought Don called IYWN important.

As a Frey fan while I accept that people feel his songs on this album sound more like solo songs, I think it's a shame that people also seem to like them less for that very reason. It isn't an ideal situation but it is what happened. The entire album to some extent could be described as a collection of solo songs. It's just more obvious for some reason on Glenn's songs.

AlreadyGone95
06-22-2015, 03:13 PM
I'm one of the ones who believes that Somebody could've been a Glenn solo song. As I said in my review, it reminds me of THIO or Smuggler's Blues. That being said, there's something that Don Henley said in the documentary(I think it was the doc), that I think fits. During HFO, while discussing the solo songs, he said something to the effect of "most of these songs could've been Eaglrs songs". I think that Somebody would've been a great Glenn solo song, but it's also a great Eagles song, and one of the best on LROOE.

I haven't thought of LROOE being a collection of solo songs, but now that I think on it, it does seem like it. (Exceptions being NMWITW, How Long, WITW, and LROOE). While they could be solo songs, there's something about the group aspect that makes it better. Although, they didn't record together as a group, did they?

As for Glenn, I do believe that he really downplays his talent as a whole, and it's really sad that he does this. From the doc, and the live footage I've seen since the reunion, to me he still thinks along the lines of "we've got Don Henley. Why do I need to sing?... Joe Walsh is our main guitarist" why do I need to play lead?" While that maybe true, his voice is different from Don's, and some people like his voice more than Don's(myself included). As for guitar, having watched the Live in Dublin dvd, I've come to believe that he could (no can) play some great leads if he wanted to.
It's ok to complement others' talents by cutting back on yours sometimes, but not all of the time. Imo, Glenn sells himself short too much, and it's a shame.

L101
06-22-2015, 04:04 PM
A comment was made in the BBF thread about Somebody sounding more like a Frey solo song. This has also been said on numerous occasions about ILTWAWD & could, in fact, be said about all Glenn's songs on this album with the exception of How Long (or WDIDWMH because of Don's co-lead). I would submit, however, that Somebody gets closer to the Eagles than his ballads because it has great harmonies by Don & Tim & great guitar & organ work.

So why is this the case, more than for the other members' songs? I think he wanted to reassert himself as a singer & to do that the songs he did had to be primarily vocal showcases. In the case of the lyrics they are extremely personal which was a first for him in terms of Eagles songs. YANA & IYWN are HIS songs in terms of what he's saying, even thought Don called IYWN important.

As a Frey fan while I accept that people feel his songs on this album sound more like solo songs, I think it's a shame that people also seem to like them less for that very reason. It isn't an ideal situation but it is what happened. The entire album to some extent could be described as a collection of solo songs. It's just more obvious for some reason on Glenn's songs.

Out of all the songs sung by Glenn on LROOE, Somebody is really the only one that I think could be a Glenn solo song because as I've said before, it sounds like THIO with the upbeat tempo and how he sounds singing it. I like the song but it just doesn't sound like an Eagles song to me.

I'm not sure where you get the impression that people like Glenn's songs on LROOE less because they think they sound like his solo songs - I for one, don't think that about the rest of his leads, especially NMCD and IYWN.

As for why you think people are less accepting of Glenn's songs as Eagles songs and not feel the same way about the other members songs, that's something for someone else to discuss as I don't believe that to be true (apart from Somebody) and is not something I've ever thought about - I just listen to the album and enjoy it for what it is - Eagles music!!

BTW, I absolutely hate Fast Company and that's a Don lead!!!

VAisForEagleLovers
06-22-2015, 04:07 PM
In my opinion, and it is just my opinion, here's why people seem to think it sounds like a collection of solo songs, except How Long... They sang certain songs a certain way in the 70's. Music has moved on. Artists have moved on. Our guys moved on. How Long is from the 70's and they perform it very much like they did when they covered it in the 70's. As long as Eagles music represents the 70's in everyone's heads, nothing they will ever write in the future will ever sound the same. Songwriting is a personal thing even if what you're writing isn't personal. There's a little bit of the songwriters in every song that's written. Like painting. In the 2000's they weren't the same people they were in the 70's. You could lock Don and Glenn and even JD and Jackson in a room for a week and at the end of it you'll have some great songs, but they won't be the 1970's, so they won't sound like the 'Eagles'.

Also, their songs in the 70's painted a picture of life in the 70's, and I'm not sure why they would want to do that now.

I don't follow a lot of other Classic Rock artists that have released new material, but what I have heard doesn't sound like it came from the 70's, either. An artist like Springsteen never went away, really, he's evolved and we've evolved with him, and when he does a newer song, we don't compare it to his material from 1977 (or whenever). Perhaps the Eagles did themselves a disservice by including How Long, because then everyone was disappointed that all the songs didn't sound like it.

IMO, No More Walks In The Woods has the classic Eagles sound. No one else on this earth could sing that like they sing it. No one else can do those harmonies with those voices, yet most of their fans completely dismiss the song and don't even mention it, good or bad, when discussing the album. Like it's not even on there.

Sorry for the length of this, but I feel like people are holding them to a standard they can't possibly achieve. A standard they didn't even want to achieve. From the interviews at the time, it seemed to me that what took so long to get LROOE even started was because they spent time trying to be something they were a long time ago and weren't any more. It wasn't until they made the decision to quit trying to capture a sound from the 70's that they were able to move forward.

When even hardcore fans dismiss the entire album as merely a collection of solo songs, is it any wonder they have no wish to put themselves out there again and put together another album?

L101
06-22-2015, 04:31 PM
I really like the album and yes, I feel the songs have evolved a lot from their sound in the 70's. But because of their harmonies, whatever they sing, they will always sound like the Eagles. Songs like LROOE, WITW and even BBF to me are the 'new' Eagles sound - they have come into this century and have left the 70's sound behind. Springsteen (who I also love) has evolved well though some of his newer songs are best forgotten but he has still retained his Springsteenness......

I never thought it sounded like a collection of solo songs until I started reading reviews of it in the last year or two, it might be a bit disjointed in some ways, song arrangement etc but its still good (and its better than having no new Eagles music).

but I feel like people are holding them to a standard they can't possibly achieve. A standard they didn't even want to achieve. From the interviews at the time, it seemed to me that what took so long to get LROOE even started was because they spent time trying to be something they were a long time ago and weren't any more. It wasn't until they made the decision to quit trying to capture a sound from the 70's that they were able to move forward.

I do agree with you here VA - I just wish they had the faith in their new music to have included some of the songs (How long for example on the HOTE tour even though the album is not as well known as their older releases. So at the end of this rant, I really like LROOE and I am glad that they decided to move forward from their 70's sound - it just shows that they never stop creating and that's good for everyone!!

ETA - As for NMWITW - that is the other song that I don't like - yes it has the famous Eagles harmonies and they sound great on it but that song just bugs me and as I normally listen to the CD in the car, I have to skip it, as it leads to road rage :)

AlreadyGone95
06-22-2015, 04:35 PM
I follow alot of 70s/80s rock bands that still release new music. Whrn Fleetwood Mac released their Extended Play ep back in 2013, fans were happy for the most part. Why? Despite modern production, the songs sounded like they came from 1977. The songs sounded like what people associate Fleetwood Mac as sounding like.

Every band that released a few albums has a "sound" that people associate with that band, usually a sub genre. When Metallica went from thrash metal to hard rock, they pissed off alot of fans. It can be very upsetting to fans for a band to change their sound. However, I feel that musicians should play whatever kind of music suits them.

LROOE would probably be tied for 3rd on my Eagles album list. Despite a few songs that I don't like, it's a great album overall. Imo, it's better than the debut, On the Border, or The Long Run. There's many different types of music on this album, and I like the variety. As I said above, most of these songs could've been solo songs, but the group aspect makes them better.

I think that the changes in production also turn people off. Modern songs sound alot cleaner with digital production instead of analog. Coming from this generation, that doesn't bother me, but I do notice it.

I love hearing new music from the older bands. I'm eagerly awaiting Def Leppard's new album, as well as Iron Maiden's new double album. One of my favorite thrash metal bandsñ Metal Church just released a new album. I'm fixing to listen to it in a few minutes.

I like NMWITW. It's not one of my "5" ratings, but the harmonies are soo good.
I seem to be in the minority of actually liking Fast Company and Fail Grasp, but really disliking ILTWAWD. :lol:

ETA: the Metal Church album is actually just a single from the album, so I can sdd that album to my wait list lol

sodascouts
06-22-2015, 05:28 PM
I think it sounds like an Eagles song if it has our guys doing harmonies. Their voices together are the Eagles sound for me.

I think it sounds like a solo song if you can only hear one voice. That's my issue with "Learn to Be Still." I realize it's completely subjective.

Sometimes I wonder what would happen if we didn't know who wrote what - if we didn't know that a certain track was Frey/Tempchin, or a certain track was Henley/Smith, but took them all at face value. Would we still reach the same conclusions about what sounds like an "Eagles" song? Who knows.

Jonny Come Lately
06-22-2015, 05:58 PM
As widely recognisable as Eagles harmony vocals are, I'm not sure that they alone can determine whether a song sounds like an Eagles song or a solo one. For example, a song like the title track from The Long Run has relatively little in the way of harmony vocals, with Don Henley singing most of the song on his own, yet I would certainly say it sounds like an Eagles song, with the other band members shining as instrumentalists (Walsh and Felder's slide guitars stand out, but the song is driven by Tim's bass line and Glenn's rhythm playing). By contrast, ILTWAWD sounds like a Glenn solo song even though the other band members provide backing vocals on it, and I feel this is because the music just doesn't sound like the Eagles. If it had been given a musical arrangement akin to, say, Saturday Night or Centre Of The Universe, I think it would have seemed much more like an Eagles song.

Although I like LTBS a lot, I have to agree that it would have benefitted from some backing vocals to make the other band members a bit more prominent - Don Felder does get a decent solo to be fair, but the other three don't have any clearly defined role in the song.

I can see why some people think Somebody sounds like a Glenn solo song but to me it definitely feels like an Eagles song - the harmony vocals on the chorus being one thing, but I would also say that the song's rather dark feel is similar to a few old school Eagles songs, Witchy Woman especially, while the slide guitar is another familiar Eagles element (it was used on most of their 1970s albums, particularly once Joe joined - nearly half the songs on The Long Run featured slide playing).

I tend to agree that Glenn's songs from LROOE stand out as sounding more like his solo songs than Don's do and I think this can be traced to their 1980s solo work. Both Glenn and Don made songs in this era in styles which were rather different to anything they had done in the Eagles, with Glenn making more romantic ballads (such as The One You Love), in contrast to the more bittersweet folk-rock songs he's associated with in the Eagles and Don making more keyboard-centric pop/pop-rock songs, such as All She Wants To Do Is Dance, which don't really resemble any 1970s Eagles song. There are no examples of the latter on LROOE from Don, with his songs mainly consisting of thoughtful ballads like WITW and cynical rockers like Business As Usual (he wrote and sung songs in both these styles back in the 1970s), but Glenn does have a couple of straightforwardly romantic ballads on the album, most notably No More Cloudy Days and ILTWAWD, which to my mind are much closer to his solo songs than to the likes of Tequila Sunrise or Lyin' Eyes.

I have to say I really love Frail Grasp On The Big Picture - both the music and lyrics really strongly appeal to me. I didn't like Fast Company initially but it has grown on me somewhat - I'm not too keen on Don's falsetto vocals but I like the chorus and the arrangement plus the lyrics are quite good. I think ILTWAWD is a nice song but it just isn't that recognisable as an Eagles song.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-22-2015, 05:59 PM
I think it sounds like an Eagles song if it has our guys doing harmonies. Their voices together are the Eagles sound for me.

I think it sounds like a solo song if you can only hear one voice. That's my issue with "Learn to Be Still." I realize it's completely subjective.

Sometimes I wonder what would happen if we didn't know who wrote what - if we didn't know that a certain track was Frey/Tempchin, or a certain track was Henley/Smith, but took them all at face value. Would we still reach the same conclusions about what sounds like an "Eagles" song? Who knows.

That is very true, Soda!

Freypower
06-22-2015, 06:26 PM
Out of all the songs sung by Glenn on LROOE, Somebody is really the only one that I think could be a Glenn solo song because as I've said before, it sounds like THIO with the upbeat tempo and how he sounds singing it. I like the song but it just doesn't sound like an Eagles song to me.

I'm not sure where you get the impression that people like Glenn's songs on LROOE less because they think they sound like his solo songs - I for one, don't think that about the rest of his leads, especially NMCD and IYWN.

As for why you think people are less accepting of Glenn's songs as Eagles songs and not feel the same way about the other members songs, that's something for someone else to discuss as I don't believe that to be true (apart from Somebody) and is not something I've ever thought about - I just listen to the album and enjoy it for what it is - Eagles music!!

BTW, I absolutely hate Fast Company and that's a Don lead!!!

What I was trying to work out why Glenn's LROOE songs sound more like solo songs than the other members' songs. I didn't say that fans of other members were less accepting of Glenn's songs, but they do say 'it sounds like a solo song & that's why I don't like it so much'. They don't say that about the songs sung by the other members on this album.

AlreadyGone95
06-22-2015, 06:48 PM
While their harmonies are part of what drew me to the eagles as a kid, it's not the only thing that I think of as "Eagles". Heck, my top 3 favorite songs, Outlaw Man, Life in the Fast Lane, and Already Gone have minimal vocal harmonies.(Already Gone has the most harmonies because of the chorus) Their first 2 albums are really defined by a country rock feel, and they slowly became more rock until The Long Run. The Long Run is an AOR album to me. With LROOE, they combined the country rock and AOR and mixed in some elements unique to each members' solo career. I think that both of Joe's songs could've been solo songs as well. To me, it's a combination the amazing musicianship, talented songwriters, and the harmonies that make a song an "Eagles" song.

As for not knowing who wrote what, in some ways we don't. We don't know who wrote which verse or guitar solo if it's a combined songwriting credit.

thelastresort
06-22-2015, 09:08 PM
ETA - As for NMWITW - that is the other song that I don't like - yes it has the famous Eagles harmonies and they sound great on it but that song just bugs me and as I normally listen to the CD in the car, I have to skip it, as it leads to road rage :)

As I've said in my review above, I too don't like this song. Their harmonies are as tight as any other song they've ever done, but singing a poem just does not work; not even the perfectly pristine delivery of it can mask the fact it was written to be spoken. As such I still prefer their other famous harmonies (SBR, Lyin' Eyes, D-D/D(R), BOML etc) much more than I ever could for NMWITW, despite arguably the delivery being better.

One example that comes to mind is one of my favoruite songs ever, Black Oak Arkansas's version of Dixie (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVDjZaIlJ24) (that's a YT link to it, it's safe to click). Their harmonies, whilst decent, are nowhere near as good as the Eagles', yet because what they are harmonising is a song it is much more pleasant and flowing; NMWITW, whilst I appreciate it probably means a lot to Don, just doesn't work for me.

(I appreciate a song named Dixie probably isn't the best thing to link to given events in SC this last week, but I trust you all see why I used it as an example.)

Funk 50
06-23-2015, 05:04 PM
I think the Eagles sound grew more and more distinctive, musically, as the 70s progressed. The Walsh/Felder dual guitar sound became a classic Eagles trademark. I'm sure Szymczyk has something to do with it too.

As I posted in the Busy Being Fabulous thread. I'd say the sound of the Long Road Out Of Eden album was pretty generic with studio musicians providing sounds to order, that previously the band would dwell, compromise and agonise over.

Glenn's songs do sound like solo tracks, except What Do I Do With My Heart which he should've given to a boyband but with a little tinkering, I don't think they're too far from the, pre-Joe era, Eagles hits.

Henley's material is, pretty much, like his solo material but I like Henley's solo material, just maybe it's sometimes a little rich for a multi genre spanning band. It's not like the Eagles to have songs that are difficult to sin-a-long to. I'm not sure about the Joe and Tim's tracks. Neither Eagles or solo sounding to me.

There are exceptions, the title track is ambitious enough to be an Eagles track. Center Of The Universe and How Long wouldn't be out of place on Their Greatest Hits album. Fast Company would sound right at home on The Long Run.

I'm not sure what the (new) covers add to the record. They made a rather weak opening to the LROOE concerts imo.

I still like Long Road Out Of Eden... and very much look forward to the next one. :thumbsup:

Freypower
06-23-2015, 06:03 PM
As I've said in my review above, I too don't like this song. Their harmonies are as tight as any other song they've ever done, but singing a poem just does not work; not even the perfectly pristine delivery of it can mask the fact it was written to be spoken. As such I still prefer their other famous harmonies (SBR, Lyin' Eyes, D-D/D(R), BOML etc) much more than I ever could for NMWITW, despite arguably the delivery being better.

One example that comes to mind is one of my favoruite songs ever, Black Oak Arkansas's version of Dixie (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVDjZaIlJ24) (that's a YT link to it, it's safe to click). Their harmonies, whilst decent, are nowhere near as good as the Eagles', yet because what they are harmonising is a song it is much more pleasant and flowing; NMWITW, whilst I appreciate it probably means a lot to Don, just doesn't work for me.

(I appreciate a song named Dixie probably isn't the best thing to link to given events in SC this last week, but I trust you all see why I used it as an example.)

I like NMWITW when it gets to the 'when branches were the sky' part & the harmonies soar. But almost straight away the line 'and you, for ill, and I, are only passing by' ruins it. It's one of the clumsiest, most awkward sets of words I've ever heard put in a poem let alone a song. I don't even know what 'for ill' means in this context because the phrase is usually 'for good or ill'.

As for the comment about WDIDWMH should have been given to a boy band I guess people are extremely hard to please.

AlreadyGone95
06-23-2015, 06:45 PM
While WDIDWMH is far from my favorite song on LROOE, I don't think that it should be sung by a boy band. To me, that kind of song sounds better coming from a guy who's been there ( loved and lost ).

thelastresort
06-23-2015, 06:56 PM
WDIDWMH is a great song; much like New Kid in Town the final third or so of it is an incredible coming together of various sounds, in this case Glenn and Don's voices playing each other off - the former's is one of my favourite Eagles vocal displays.

shunlvswx
06-23-2015, 07:40 PM
I actually love WDIDWMH. That's my favorite song from the album and my top 5 song that Glenn sings. When I first heard that song, I use to play it over and over again. Even I hear it on Pandora or IHeart, I turn up the volume.

I think I read don't like Do something. I like it along with IDWTHAM. It's something about LROOE album that I like. Maybe because this album came out when I actually was alive. Meaning. With the exception of LR(even it came out in 1979), I wasn't born yet with the 70s. Of course their are songs I don't like on the album, but overall. I love the album.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-23-2015, 09:58 PM
It's not like the Eagles to have songs that are difficult to sin-a-long to.

F50, while I may or may not have done such a thing a time or two, did you mean 'sing'? I have to ask..:hilarious:

AlreadyGone95
06-23-2015, 10:07 PM
Hey, according to a few of my church members, I sin when I sing along to Hotel California. :lol: (true story that happened to me that I'll never forget)

VAisForEagleLovers
06-23-2015, 10:44 PM
Yes, there are churches like that. Fortunately, I've always gone to ones who felt differently!

Funk 50
06-24-2015, 05:16 AM
F50, while I may or may not have done such a thing a time or two, did you mean 'sing'? I have to ask..:hilarious:

Deary, dear, Thanks for pointing out that error VA :blush:
kinda works both ways, though, doesn't it :shrug:

I'm quite fond of What Do I Do With My Heart once it gets past the puny keyboard/drum machine opening. Not too difficult to sing-a-long with either :grin:

AlreadyGone95
06-24-2015, 12:32 PM
I still like Long Road Out Of Eden... and very much look forward to the next one. :thumbsup:

Hear, hear. I hope that we eventually get a new album :pray:

bluefeather
06-24-2015, 06:27 PM
Hear, hear. I hope that we eventually get a new album :pray:

ditto!

Funk 50
07-13-2015, 05:49 AM
Delighted to find this, this morning.

Somebody, live. must be from the Long Road Out Of Eden tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoNDuXP1zkc

:):)

UndertheWire
07-13-2015, 06:55 AM

That's great. Does that mean it's Joe playing the guitar solos on the recording?

Funk 50
07-13-2015, 01:59 PM
Henley sharing a mic with Tim, ie. not playing the drums, is what caught my eye.
Must be Scottie playing drums on the album version too.

Attending a LROOE show in 2008, already confirmed Joe as the slide guitarist on Somebody.

Always thought Somebody was missing an arresting intro. There was obviously a lot of effort put into editing the YouTube vid but the intro sounds some what botched to me. Otherwise I think it's a wonderful clip. I hope it's not taken down. :thumbsup:

Freypower
07-13-2015, 06:47 PM
Henley sharing a mic with Tim, ie. not playing the drums, is what caught my eye.
Must be Scottie playing drums on the album version too.

Attending a LROOE show in 2008, already confirmed Joe as the slide guitarist on Somebody.

Always thought Somebody was missing an arresting intro. There was obviously a lot of effort put into editing the YouTube vid but the intro sounds some what botched to me. Otherwise I think it's a wonderful clip. I hope it's not taken down. :thumbsup:

When I saw the song llive the intro was longer than that. If you listen to the recorded version, that is what it was like.

It should hardly surprise you that Don isn't on drums. He didn't play drums on ONE TRACK from LROOE llive. He played percussion on IDWTHAM (and for the few people who saw it GOTC).

This is Glenn at his best & it is a tragedy that the song was dropped. It could have become a showstopper.

shunlvswx
07-13-2015, 07:09 PM
I like the video. I didn't like the F1 clips in the background. It was good, but it kinda took away of the actually concert clip.

The person that did the video probably just cut some of the intro because you can kinda tell the intro was edited down.

I saw a few clips from the LROOE on YouTube. I had wonder how they did the video because I doubt it was like that in concert.

jms18222
07-14-2015, 01:00 AM
I am positive Don Henley would not have approved my saying a silent prayer during the 2015 NCAA Men's College Basketball Championship game.
To be fair however I also watched the last 3 minutes with the sound muted & my head covered by a blanket while eating Fritos & drinking iced tea like I have done since 1990. Do I believe any of these things matter...no but who wants to chance the jinx Gods either. Such is the life of a sports fan.
To me Frail Grasp was just a song just like it was just a game.

Waiting In the Weeds is one of my favorites along with After The Thrill Is Gone.

AlreadyGone95
07-14-2015, 01:04 AM
As a person will never get to see the guys live, I love seeing footage of their concerts. Somebody is probably my second favorite song off of LROOE (behind How Long). To see that video is amazing and it made my day or maybe even my week!

DivineDon
07-14-2015, 09:58 AM

Wow, thanks Funk, great version of Somebody, one of my favs from LROOE :thumbsup:

07-15-2015, 06:07 PM
Thanks for finding that, F50 - it was fun to watch and reminisce. This was one of my favorite LROOE songs live. It really doesn't come across so much in this video, but the guys always looked like they had a blast performing this. I especially loved watching Don because sometimes when playing on it, he would appear to be as animated as you ever see him on stage.

thelastresort
07-19-2015, 08:44 AM
I recognise the uploader, he has a few videos in a similar style from the LROOE tour (In the City and Long Road Out of Eden spring to mind), and doesn't take too kindly to Don Felder.

About the video itself, Glenn is on top form there, alas probably a better vocal delivery than anything he pulled out when I saw them twice on the HOTE tour. Ever since they altered Heartache Tonight Glenn hasn't really had a song with a cutting, edgy lead vocal. Sad really, he does them impeccably. James Dean is another example, but I suspect the chances of that being resurrected are nil.

Freypower
07-19-2015, 08:09 PM
I recognise the uploader, he has a few videos in a similar style from the LROOE tour (In the City and Long Road Out of Eden spring to mind), and doesn't take too kindly to Don Felder.

About the video itself, Glenn is on top form there, alas probably a better vocal delivery than anything he pulled out when I saw them twice on the HOTE tour. Ever since they altered Heartache Tonight Glenn hasn't really had a song with a cutting, edgy lead vocal. Sad really, he does them impeccably. James Dean is another example, but I suspect the chances of that being resurrected are nil.

Hear hear. :sad: :eyebrow:

Funk 50
08-23-2015, 09:40 AM
Not sure how I found this but it's of interest.

The Billboard Q&A: The Eagles' Don Henley by Ray Waddell | October 12, 2007

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/1048169/the-billboard-qa-the-eagles-don-henley

08-23-2015, 01:27 PM
Thanks for reposting that link, F50. That was one of my favorite LROOE interviews.

sodascouts
08-24-2015, 12:01 AM
It's always fun to look back. Thanks Funk 50!

LuvTim
08-24-2015, 11:07 AM
I just watched the "Somebody" video. Loved it!! Thanks for posting it--that was one I had missed. Loved the psychedelic nature of the presentation, combined with Glenn's vocal styling: it was just perfection!:thumbsup:

sodascouts
10-30-2015, 09:12 AM
Happy birthday to Long Road Out of Eden!

LuvTim
10-30-2015, 09:48 AM
LONG ROAD OUT OF EDEN--Love it!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

:drummer: :rockguitar::guitar::singer::heart:

Brooke
10-30-2015, 10:26 AM
Me too!

Happy Birthday Long Road Out Of Eden!

Love ya!

DivineDon
10-30-2015, 10:35 AM
Love Long Road out of Eden.....

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY

AlreadyGone95
10-30-2015, 11:08 AM
Happy birthday LROOE!

Listening to it over the past few days has made me love it even more.

L101
10-30-2015, 12:34 PM
Happy birthday LROOE !! Really love that album :smile:

NOLA
10-30-2015, 08:02 PM
Happy 8th Anniversary to Long Road Out of Eden!!!

A well-crafted album, and well worth the wait! :thumbsup::rockon::applause:

Funk 50
11-01-2015, 06:28 AM
I can't really remember what kind of reviews LROOE got when it was released but here's a, short but positive, one from a couple of days ago. :smile::smile:

The track chosen as a sample, is a nice surprise. :cool:

http://somethingelsereviews.com/2015/10/30/the-eagles-long-road-out-of-eden/

11-01-2015, 12:12 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY LONG ROAD OUT OF EDEN!!!

Eight years - WOW! And thanks for that link F50. I agree with almost everything in that review. This album was quite an impressive comeback for the band indeed. I have been listening to it the last couple of days and still enjoy it very much. And kudos to the reviewer for his song choice. I know not everyone agrees, but I absolutely love the song.

“I Love To Watch A Woman Dance” is drop dead gorgeous, simple but precise musicianship and gorgeous harmonies. In fact, the harmonies sound even better than during their heyday. We’re talking CSNY good, people.:applause: :applause: :applause:

DivineDon
11-01-2015, 12:17 PM
I can't really remember what kind of reviews LROOE got when it was released but here's a, short but positive, one from a couple of days ago. :smile::smile:

The track chosen as a sample, is a nice surprise. :cool:

http://somethingelsereviews.com/2015/10/30/the-eagles-long-road-out-of-eden/

It's a surprise though not to my taste as it's the first track I've voted for in the LROOE survivor!!! Each to his/her own ;-)

AlreadyGone95
11-01-2015, 12:23 PM
It's a surprise though not to my taste as it's the first track I've voted for in the LROOE survivor!!! Each to his/her own ;-)

Same Here, DD!

shunlvswx
11-01-2015, 02:50 PM
Happy 8th Birthday to Long Road Out Of Eden.

Freypower
11-01-2015, 04:36 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY LONG ROAD OUT OF EDEN!!!

Eight years - WOW! And thanks for that link F50. I agree with almost everything in that review. This album was quite an impressive comeback for the band indeed. I have been listening to it the last couple of days and still enjoy it very much. And kudos to the reviewer for his song choice. I know not everyone agrees, but I absolutely love the song.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Yes, it's a pleasant surprise for a small handful of us.

scottside
11-01-2015, 04:53 PM
Yes, it's a pleasant surprise for a small handful of us.

Add me to that list!

deb828
11-01-2015, 04:57 PM
Love that song, too!

shunlvswx
10-30-2016, 07:28 PM
Happy 9th Birthday to Long Road Out Of Eden. One of my favorite albums from the guys.

Looking back now. I'm glad the guys did this album because this would end up being their last album with Glenn.:cry: I do wish they made another one, but I guess they knew back then this could be the last one.

LuvTim
10-30-2016, 08:13 PM
I really love LROOE. Happy Anniversary! :guitar:

FreyFollower
10-30-2016, 11:10 PM
Happy Anniversary to a great album! Of course, I mostly love that there are more leads by Glenn on this project! Just beautiful! Great job by all!

AlreadyGone95
10-31-2016, 01:23 AM
Happy anniversary to LROOE! It's a great album to say the least. I also love that Glenn did several vocals on it as opposed to the one lead vocal for the previous 3 studio albums.

GlennLover
10-31-2016, 09:55 AM
Happy Anniversary LROOE! Played it this morning. It really is a great album and yes, I love all the Glenn leads too!

Annoying Twit
10-31-2016, 12:30 PM
It's a great album, with many great songs.

Brooke
10-31-2016, 01:09 PM
I love it too! Can't believe it's been 9 years already!

Jonny Come Lately
10-31-2016, 06:05 PM
Happy 9th anniversary to Long Road Out Of Eden! :birthday:

I probably should do a more thorough review at some point, but my top 5 songs are probably the title track, Waiting In The Weeds, How Long, Somebody and either Business As Usual or Do Something. Most of the songs on this record are good though, and I fully support the decision to make it a double album - after such a long wait, it was great to get a release with so much new music.

To celebrate the anniversary, just thought I'd share this link to the David Gilmour blog - which isn't by David himself and doesn't claim to be, but is instead run by his fans - that I stumbled across a while back (weirdly enough when I was doing a search for Eagles, not for Pink Floyd!) and I found this article about music in the 15 years between 1996 and 2010. In this piece, the blogger picks a favourite album from each year, and their definitive pick for 2007 is Long Road Out Of Eden.

http://davidgilmourblog.co.uk/2011/11/15-years-of-albums.html

thelastresort
10-31-2016, 07:36 PM
Belated happy ninth birthday to Long Road Out of Eden! The title track is still one of their finest hours and there are many other highlights (shout out to IDWTHAM which I can't stop listening to currently) too - a brilliant output all in all. I'm not super keen on how many other musicians they roped in on it and I'm still convinced that some songs only feature two Eagles at best but when I sit and listen to it I usually end up not caring!

shunlvswx
10-30-2017, 03:35 PM
Happy 10th Birthday to Long Road Out Of Eden.

Brooke
10-30-2017, 03:43 PM
Wow! Can't believe it's 10 years old now! I remember we waited forever for it to come out after being promised for years!

Glennsallnighter
10-30-2017, 07:51 PM
Happy 10th Birthday to LROOE!! I remember the excitement when it was released. I thought it would not be available in Ireland and was waiting for an Amazon order, but to my delight I found it that day in one of the local record shops!

FreyFollower
10-30-2017, 08:58 PM
I'm so glad we have had this album to enjoy for 10 years! Contrary to some, there are only a 2-3 songs I don't care for, and a number of my favorites are here. So the double format was only a great bonus to me. Happy 10th!

New Kid In Town
10-30-2017, 09:04 PM
Like Brooke, I can not believe it has been ten years since it's release. It is not my favorite album, but I am glad that Glenn got to sing more than one song. There are a lot of good songs on the album. I am glad they went with the double album because it gave everyone a chance to shine.

sodascouts
10-30-2017, 10:55 PM
10 Years. Unbelievable. Yes, we were all salivating over this album for months and then when it finally came out, we had threads dissecting every song! New music from the Eagles after so many years! It was a great time to be a fan.

Annoying Twit
10-31-2017, 04:02 AM
I pledge to listen to it again today.

Pippinwhite
04-02-2018, 05:39 PM
Well, it's better than nothing, I guess, but Spotify has uploaded LROOE. The catch is that you can play 8 songs out of the 20 on the album. I don't pretend to understand why this is the case, but thought I'd let folks know.
The playable tracks are: How Long, Busy Being Fabulous, Guilty of the Crime, I Don't Want to Hear Any More, Fast Company, Somebody, I Love to Watch a Woman Dance, and It's Your World Now.

sodascouts
04-02-2018, 07:30 PM
How bizarre!

Anyone want to try and find the pattern of what those songs have in common that the other 12 don't? I'm stumped.

Pippinwhite
04-03-2018, 09:28 AM
Spotify does this occasionally. I know on TVBOTE, Hole in the World and Get Over it aren't available, but the rest are. There are other artist albums that may only have certain songs available. I can only surmise it has something to do with licensing/publishing rights for particular songs. Maybe certain companies don't release the rights to Spotify? That's about as much as I can come up with.

shunlvswx
04-03-2018, 10:17 AM
That's maybe it. I know IHeart Radio does that. An album would have a few songs unavailable. For almost 2 years, LROOE wasn't even on IHeart Radio and its finally back.

WalshFan88
04-03-2018, 06:59 PM
I see the full album for me on Spotify. Are you on Spotify free or paid? I'm on the paid version with Apple devices (iPhone, iPad, and Mac).

Or maybe just today they uploaded the full thing.

Pippinwhite
04-06-2018, 06:57 PM
@Walsh88: I was just coming on to update that they have all the songs up now! LOL. Two great minds...
:D

shunlvswx
10-30-2018, 10:01 AM
Happy 11th Birthday to Long Road Out Of Eden. A great album and bittersweet. My top favorite song from the album is What Do I Do With My Heart. A great song, great harmonies and Don coming in at the end.

10-30-2018, 11:59 AM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO LONG ROAD OUT OF EDEN!!!

I think this was a great album considering there was a 29-year gap since the band had released its last studio album. They stayed pretty true to their roots, IMO. This one ranks somewhere in the middle of my list of favorite albums. If folks want to post their favorite to least favorite list, I'll calculate the results and post them here as we have done for other albums. Let me know if anyone needs a refresher of how this works.

shunlvswx
10-30-2018, 12:59 PM
Its kinda hard to picked my favorites since a lot of them are my favorites. My top 10 are my favorites. The other songs I just put in there.

1. What Do I Do With My Heart
2. How Long
3. Long Road Out OF Eden
4. Waiting In The Weeds
5. Somebody
6. Busy Being Fabulous
7. Do Something
8. No More Walks In The Wood
9. It's Your World Now
10. I Don't Want TO Hear Any More
11. Center Of The Universe
12. You Are Not Alone
13. No More Cloudy Days
14. I Love To Watch a Woman Dance
15. Business As Usual
16. Frail Grasp On The Big Picture
17. Guilty Of The Crime
18. Fast Company
19. Last Good Time In Town
20. I Dreamed There Was No War

groupie2686
10-30-2018, 01:51 PM
1. Waiting in the Weeds
2. Busy Being Fabulous
3. No More Cloudy Days
4. How Long
5. It's Your World Now
6. What Do I Do With My Heart
7. No More Walks in the Wood
8. You Are Not Alone
9. Do Something
10. Long Road Out of Eden
11. Center of the Universe
12.I Don't Want to Hear Any More
13. I Dreamed There Was No War
14. I Love to Watch A Woman Dance
15. Frail Grasp on the Big Picture
16. Guilty of the Crime
17.Business As Usual
18.Somebody
19.Last Good Time in Town
20. Fast Company

sodascouts
11-03-2018, 10:13 AM
There's so many of them... it's hard to rank them... and things change. But here's what I feel like today!

1. What Do I Do with My Heart
2. Waiting in the Weeds
3. No More Cloudy Days
4. How Long
5. Somebody
6. I Dreamed There Was No War
7. You Are Not Alone
8. Business As Usual
9. Busy Being Fabulous
10. Do Something
11. I Love to Watch a Woman Dance
12. Center of the Universe
13. I Don't Want to Hear Any More
14. No More Walks in the Wood
15. It's Your World Now
16. Guilty of the Crime
17. Last Good Time in Town
18. Long Road Out of Eden
19. Fast Company
20. Frail Grasp on the Big Picture

FreyFollower
11-03-2018, 06:39 PM
Great album. There are only three or so songs I don't care for. I'm so glad they made it, and kept it as a double record. I would hate to lose any of the songs I love. I'm no good at ranking, however.

I found it interesting to read in a recent interview that Deacon worked as a roadie on the LROOE tour.

JC
01-05-2019, 07:31 PM
Hi everybody, I'm knew here. I'm a long time french fan, since the release of THE LEGEND OF EAGLES by 1987. Few weeks after the release of LONG ROAD OUT OF EDEN, I found the red deluxe edition with two bonus tracks in a used CD seller but I didn't buy it, because I already have the bonus songs elsewhere. I just want to know if there are lyrics for these two songs in the extended booklet (I know there are more pictures but are they lyrics only for the 20 songs from the album or for the two bonus too ?). Thanks for your help.

01-06-2019, 01:01 PM
Welcome to The Border, JC. Amusez-vous bien. The booklet that comes with the deluxe version of Long Road Out of Eden does include lyrics to the two bonus songs - Hole in the World and Please Come Home for Christmas.

However, if you are just interested in the lyrics, here is a link to our Eagles Online Central lyrics index:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/lyricsindex.htm

JC
01-06-2019, 02:08 PM
Many thanks for your fast answer ! I already have the UK edition of Long Road Out Of Eden with "Hole In The World" and I just try to find a good reason to acquire this deluxe edition... except the additional pictures...

shunlvswx
10-30-2019, 09:03 AM
Happy 12th Birthday to Long Road Out Of Eden.

groupie2686
10-30-2019, 10:12 AM
Happy birthday Long Road Out of Eden! This album is a mixed bag for me but I am so glad they got to do this. Waiting in the Weeds is one of my favorite eagles songs.

KingWalsh
10-30-2019, 01:36 PM
Funny having a quick bite listening to Last Good Time In Town, decided to see whAt going on forum wise. Cheers LROOE:cheers:

10-30-2019, 08:11 PM
HAPPY 12TH ANNIVERSARY TO LROOE!!!

In some ways, it seems like it was only yesterday since it's release. I think this album stands up well against the band's other work. I'm glad we got 20 songs on the album and I think most of them are pretty strong. There are probably 2 or 3 that aren't that strong, but they are certainly not stinkers either. :thumbsup:

sodascouts
10-30-2019, 09:45 PM
HAPPY 12TH ANNIVERSARY TO LROOE!!!

In some ways, it seems like it was only yesterday since it's release. I think this album stands up well against the band's other work. I'm glad we got 20 songs on the album and I think most of them are pretty strong. There are probably 2 or 3 that aren't that strong, but they are certainly not stinkers either. :thumbsup:

I know - the "new" album, right? I'm SO glad they did this album and gave us one last "hurrah" so to speak. They still had something to say.

02-10-2020, 07:40 PM
Well - This is Grammy month, so I thought I would acknowledge the Grammy's for each of the band's albums or singles off of the album. So, to kick things off ...

On Feb. 10, 2008 - How Long won the Grammy for best country performance by a group with vocals.

And on Feb. 8, 2009 - I Dreamed There Was No War won for best pop instrumental.

Hard to believe that both of these well-deserved awards were over 10 years ago.

FreyFollower
02-11-2020, 02:26 AM
Love them both! :heart:

Brooke
02-11-2020, 03:01 PM
I'm so glad we got that last album from them too. Love it!

sodascouts
02-11-2020, 09:39 PM
Ten years ago! That is unbelievable! I remember how thrilled I was when they won - especially "I Dreamed There Was No War." How proud Glenn must have been.

shunlvswx
10-30-2020, 01:31 PM
Happy 13th Birthday to Long Road Out of Eden.

Elle81
10-30-2020, 04:28 PM
I heard my first Long Road song on Joe's radio show. Honestly I didn't even know that album existed, but I'm glad it does. I have since checked it out from my local library and copied it on to my computer. Time to give it a listen. Happy 13th!

FreyFollower
10-30-2020, 04:33 PM
Happy Birthday, LROOE! ​Some excellent songs here!

CAinOH
10-30-2020, 05:08 PM
I need to listen to this again... definitely this weekend!

LuvTim
10-30-2020, 05:58 PM
Love this album. Really good. :heart:

KingWalsh
10-31-2020, 04:21 AM
Happy Anniversary LROOE! Should get more recognition than it does.

New Kid In Town
10-31-2020, 11:28 AM
Wow - I can't believe it has been 13 years ! Boy, does time fly by ! Happy Birthday LROOE. So glad they did this album before Glenn passed.

10-31-2020, 12:11 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO LROOE!!!

I agree that this album is underrated and underappreciated. I'd bet that if some of these songs had been recorded/released in the 70's, they would be staples on classic rock radio the same as so many other Eagles songs. I think it is an amazing album overall and, of course, am very glad we have it.

sodascouts
10-31-2020, 07:07 PM
13 years... wow, wow. wow. Listening to it this weekend as usual. It really is underrated.

groupie2686
11-01-2020, 10:03 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO LROOE!!!

I agree that this album is underrated and underappreciated. I'd bet that if some of these songs had been recorded/released in the 70's, they would be staples on classic rock radio the same as so many other Eagles songs. I think it is an amazing album overall and, of course, am very glad we have it.

I agree! I love that they didn't try to update their sound and so many of the songs on LROOE would have fit in the 70s, but it doesn't sound dated either.

Elle81
11-07-2020, 10:43 PM
I rented this album from the library back in early October, copied it on to my computer, and am just now giving it a listen. OMG. I absolutely love it! (to be fair I have heard some of these songs on Joe's radio show) I am so buying this when I get some money. :D

Glennsallnighter
11-08-2020, 03:31 PM
I love so many of the songs on this album and agree that it is totally underrated! Happy Birthday to Long Road Out Of Eden.

EaglesFanatic
12-07-2020, 07:50 PM
I'm late to this thread, but wow! I can't believe it's been 13 years since LROOE... I loved how refreshing - yet familiar - the sounds were on this album. This was also the first and last tour that I got to see the Eagles live, so it's definitely got a special place in my heart.

thebagels
09-16-2021, 02:41 AM
I don't know where else to post this, but who does the bass vocal on "Hole in the World?" It's extremely low (goes down to C#2 at one point), and I've never heard Don, Glenn, Joe, or Tim sing that low.

https://youtu.be/9NiTKJb8aSg?t=172

Scamp
09-16-2021, 09:14 AM
I've heard Joe sing surprisingly low, B#2. I hear his voice on my headset. One of the singing magazines listed him as one of the most underrated singers. They said they were surprised at his voice range. He could sing so much higher than his speaking voice but could drop down and hit the low notes. He could get lower than Glenn.

chaim
09-18-2021, 01:51 PM
B2?? Wow! Where did Joe sing that?

Paul McCartney sings an A2 on The Girl Is Mine and that was a bit of a surprise to me!

10-30-2021, 11:53 AM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO LONG ROAD OUT OF EDEN!!!

Wow - So hard to believe that it's been 14 years. I love this album and am so grateful it was released.

LuvTim
10-30-2021, 04:36 PM
LROOE!!!💗

shunlvswx
10-30-2021, 08:36 PM
Happy 14th Birthday to Long Road Out of Eden.

FreyFollower
10-30-2021, 10:04 PM
An amazing collection of diverse songs. There are a couple of numbers not to my taste, but I'm so glad that they didn't edit it down to one cd as some have suggested. They might have cut some that are precious to me. Happy Anniversary, LROOE! Love it!

Scamp
11-05-2021, 09:18 AM
B2?? Wow! Where did Joe sing that?

Paul McCartney sings an A2 on The Girl Is Mine and that was a bit of a surprise to me!

"Book Ends" on The Smoker You Drink The Player You get Song was written by Joe V

shunlvswx
10-31-2022, 12:02 AM
Happy 15th Birthday to Long Road Out Of Eden.

FreyFollower
10-31-2022, 02:00 AM
Happy 15th Birthday to Long Road Out Of Eden.
I cannot believe 15 years! There are some real gems on it.:nod:

11-02-2022, 08:41 PM
Happy belated anniversary to Long Road Out of Eden. I agree it is hard to believed it's been 15 years since its release. So glad we got 20 awesome songs on this album.

WalshFan88
11-14-2022, 05:52 PM
Definitely not in my top list of Eagles albums but I've grown to appreciate it more than I initially did and have warmed up to it over time, especially since Glenn's passing. I definitely favor the hits (How Long, Busy Being Fabulous, the title track, etc).

sodascouts
11-23-2022, 11:29 AM
But… that can’t be right… it came out just a few years ago… it’s the new Eagles album!

Oh, time, time.

It does hold up well, and it was a great way to show they still were creative as a band after the reunion.

shunlvswx
11-01-2023, 06:04 PM
Happy Belated 16th Birthday (on Timothy’s birthday) to Long Road Out of Eden.

FreyFollower
11-02-2023, 02:57 PM
Happy Belated 16th Birthday (on Timothy’s birthday) to Long Road Out of Eden.

I will admit to regularly skipping a very few, but I'm glad that they kept it a double. The majority I love, and really enjoy.
Happy Birthday, LROOE!

11-19-2023, 12:37 PM
I know I'm REEAALLLLY late with this, but I want to recognize the 16th anniversary of Long Road Out of Eden. Of that the course, I love the album and am so glad that the band was able to release a great album in this millennium.