View Full Version : Long Road Out of Eden Song Survivor

Pages : 1 2 [3]

sodascouts
12-04-2008, 09:19 PM
The sixteenth song to leave the island in Long Road Out of Eden Survivor is Somebody. “Somebody,” uh-oh, I see a graveyard with an old tombstone in your future! Time to go! The tribe has spoken; please leave immediately. The remaining songs may return to camp.

Votes
Somebody – 7
Long Road Out of Eden – 6
How Long – 2

Vote Breakdown
Somebody – EagleLady
Somebody – eaglesvet
Somebody – DonFan
Somebody – Peekaboo
Somebody – PrettyMaid
Somebody – timfan
Somebody – Troubadour
Long Road Out of Eden – SodaScouts
Long Road Out of Eden – AzEaglesFan
Long Road Out of Eden – TimothyBFan
Long Road Out of Eden – Glennsallnighter
Long Road Out of Eden – ticky
Long Road Out of Eden – Ive always been a dreamer
How Long – Freypower
How Long – Brooke

Songs eliminated:
Fast Company 11/01
Frail Grasp on the Big Picture 11/03
No More Walks in the Wood 11/05
I Love to Watch a Woman Dance 11/07
I Don’t Want to Hear Any More 11/09
I Dreamed There Was No War 11/11
Center of the Universe 11/13
It’s Your World Now 11/15
Business As Usual 11/17
Guilty of the Crime 11/19
Last Good Time in Town – 11/21
Do Something 11/23
Busy Being Fabulous 11/25
You Are Not Alone 11/30
No More Cloudy Days 12/2
Somebody 12/4

Songs remaining:
How Long
What Do I Do With My Heart
Waiting in the Weeds
Long Road Out of Eden

The immunity question for Round 17 (and our last immunity question) is as follows:

The Long Road Out of Eden liner notes state all the instruments the various Eagles played on the album. Name them (vocal is included as “instrument” for the purposes of this question). Put your answers in the form of the name of the Eagle, then the instruments he played. For instance, Glenn Frey:
[list instruments]; Don Henley:
[list instruments] etc.

NOTE: You MUST include the song you want to be immune along with your answer for it to be counted.

Freypower
12-04-2008, 09:29 PM
I did want to give someone else a chance, but I may as well answer.

Glenn Frey: guitar, keyboards, bass, vocals
Don Henley: drums, (yeah, which tracks, I want to know!), percussion, guitar, vocals
Joe Walsh: guitar, keyboards, vocals
Timothy B. Schmit: bass, vocals

And it's back to Long Road Out Of Eden to be immune please!

sodascouts
12-04-2008, 09:31 PM
That's right FP.

Long Road Out of Eden is immune.

Voting for Round 17 begins now!

sodascouts
12-04-2008, 09:33 PM
Well, now that FP has made the one song I wanted to vote for immune, I don't know what I'm gonna do!

I guess, because they didn't write it....

I cast my vote for How Long.

EagleLady
12-04-2008, 09:34 PM
I'll go with Waiting In The Weeds

Freypower
12-04-2008, 09:35 PM
Surely people will now start to agree that it's time for How Long to go. The song has tremendous importance in reestablishing the band as a creative force, but they didn't write it and the remaining songs here are superior. I know now that I've probably doomed What Do I Do With My Heart. But in my opinion that is a much better and more moving song than How Long.

So I vote for How Long.

Troubadour
12-04-2008, 09:43 PM
I, too, cast my vote for How Long. It's just the next choice for me. I am so pleased LROOE is immune.

TimothyBFan
12-04-2008, 10:27 PM
Surely people will now start to agree that it's time for How Long to go. The song has tremendous importance in reestablishing the band as a creative force, but they didn't write it and the remaining songs here are superior. I know now that I've probably doomed What Do I Do With My Heart. But in my opinion that is a much better and more moving song than How Long.

So I vote for How Long.

:headshake::headshake: Sorry, but I totally disagree, I absolutely will REFUSE to vote for How Long or Waiting In The Weeds till I have nothing else to vote for! Yes I know they did not write How Long, and even tho important, not my top priority in picking songs I like and enjoy. I always listen to the harmony and the music before I actually listen to the words that have been written. Once I like a song, I then listen to the words more closely. Regardless of how beautiful the written words are, if I don't like the tempo, harmony, etc., I will not give it the time of day. Maybe some people will consider that backwards or wrong, but the actual music and voices have always meant more to me. Hope that makes some sense to some of you.

Tho, I usually do not go into explanations on this game, I felt I had to this time. So another side note regarding How Long, I will never ever forget the feeling I felt the first time I heard the opening note of that song live and knew I was finally seeing the band who's music had been with me thru thick and thin for over 33 years. That song became just a little more special to me that moment and every time I have heard it since, I've gotten a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye.

That being said and since LROOE is immune I will have to vote for
What Do I Do With My Heart.

And what a shame that Somebody just missed being saved that way. Bummer.

Freypower
12-04-2008, 10:51 PM
Well, you are entitled to your opinion, just as I am to mine. I suppose I am the opposite in that I tend to be attracted by the lyrics, and the lyrics of How Long, I'm afraid, don't do much for me. Unlike you I felt slightly let down when I heard they were covering this, like 'is this the best they can do'. Please don't get me wrong because it's a great performance, but I don't think it is as good as the other remaining songs, that's all. Perhaps I would feel differently if I ever saw it live. But I haven't seen it live so I have to go on what I feel about the recorded performance.

If you think I'm attaching too much importance to the fact that they didn't write it, that isn't all that great a concern, because there are two other songs on this album that Glenn sings, neither of which he wrote, both of which have already been eliminated and both of which I prefer to How Long.

Ive always been a dreamer
12-04-2008, 10:58 PM
I'm totally with you on this one, tbf. What Do I Do With My Heart is gorgeous, but there is no way that I believe it should beat out How Long. I'm basically going to repeat much of the argument that I made when we played the first game because several people said my argument helped to persuade them. I think How Long is the quintessential Eagles song. True, it wasn’t written by them, but J.D. Souther is about as close as you can get to being an Eagle without really being one. The song has great lyrics and music – about as Eagles as you can get. I love the shared vocals between Glenn and Don and the harmonies are just phenomenal. The song deservedly won a Grammy for its vocals and harmonies. Also, outside of the hardcore fanbase, almost everyone that hears it, says “It sounds just like them”. I can’t think of a bigger compliment than that. So, please let's form a coaltion to save How Long.

I cast my vote for What Do I Do With My Heart.

SAVE HOW LONG - VOTE FOR WDIDWMH!!

Maleah
12-05-2008, 12:23 AM
Oh wow.....so hard. I gotta agree with tbf on this one. I will never forget the feeling when I heard "How Long" begin! It will forever be associated with my first time seeing the guys and I had tears forming in my eyes when it started. It takes me back everytime I hear it now. In the previous survivor it would probably have gotten my vote here......but not anymore. It has much more meaning to me now! Therefore.........as much as I adore the song and the shared vocals.........

I cast my vote for What Do I Do With My Heart

DonFan
12-05-2008, 12:46 AM
I vote for What Do I Do With My Heart, too.

JoeFan
12-05-2008, 03:50 AM
Forgot last round! Glad Somebody didn't need my vote to go. This time, I'll vote for What Do I Do with My Heart.

TimothyBFan
12-05-2008, 08:21 AM
True, it wasn’t written by them, but J.D. Souther is about as close as you can get to being an Eagle without really being one.

I thought about that after I hit the submit button and didn't want to go back in and edit it again. To this day, I still think of JD Souther as "another Eagle".

FP-I hope you don't think I was lashing out at you. Like you said, we all have our own opinions. I generally don't express mine so "loudly" but I do feel really strong about this song. I hope you will hear it live real soon.

I'm with you guys here--SAVE HOW LONG!!!!!!!

Prettymaid
12-05-2008, 09:40 AM
Well, I was about to quote TBF and her explanation as to how she picks songs that she likes because that's how I do it too! And then I read Dreamer's plea for How Long, and I wanted to quote that and agree with it too. Dreamer, I couldn't have said it better! That's exactly how I feel about How Long! When I first bought and listened to the cd, I had no idea that How Long was an old song or that it wasn't written by The Eagles ( I don't really care about that). As Dreamer said, How Long is quintessential Eagles, and it is at the very top of my list.

I'm sure my vote for What Do I Do With My Heart is no surprise.

Mrs Henley
12-05-2008, 10:41 AM

timfan
12-05-2008, 11:39 AM

Mrs Henley
12-05-2008, 11:40 AM
Oh wow.....so hard. I gotta agree with tbf on this one. I will never forget the feeling when I heard "How Long" begin! It will forever be associated with my first time seeing the guys and I had tears forming in my eyes when it started. It takes me back everytime I hear it now. In the previous survivor it would probably have gotten my vote here......but not anymore. It has much more meaning to me now! Therefore.........as much as I adore the song and the shared vocals.........

I'm going with you on that Maleah!

Wildthyme
12-05-2008, 01:01 PM

Brooke
12-05-2008, 05:22 PM

Ok, you all have talked me in to it. I agree about loving How Long as the concert opener. Love it!

And I read an interview recently where JD said he actually was an Eagle for a bit until he realized he wanted to do his own thing and stepped back.

Therefore, I vote for What Do I Do With My Heart.

eaglesvet
12-05-2008, 11:00 PM
I'm with Soda...the song I would've voted for is unfortunately (for me) immune, so now I have to choose between the remaining songs that I love...arrghh! I HATE to do this, but I reluctantly vote for What Do I Do With My Heart (sorry Glenn and Don--you can sing that song to me any ole' time you like!)

Glennsallnighter
12-06-2008, 01:58 PM
I just cannot vote 'How Long' or WDIDWMH! It would be like chopping a finger off one or other of my hands. Therefore with reluctance, I will cast my vote for 'Waiting in the Weeds'. It may only be strategic!!

Note! Those of us who want ton protect whichever of the songs which survives this round will have to decide quickly which out of LROOE or WITW should be eliminated finally and form a coalition.

ticky
12-06-2008, 05:20 PM
I gotta go with What Will I do with my Heart here, Sorry all you WWIDWMH fans (Dont feel to bad, up to this point, everything I vote for survives! *G* My vote's better then immunity!*G*)

12-06-2008, 09:26 PM
The next song to leave the island in Long Road Out of Eden Survivor is What Do I Do With My Heart. “What Do I Do With My Heart”, it’s so sad to say goodbye, but you must please leave the island immediately. The remaining songs may return to camp.

Votes
What Do I Do With My Heart – 12
How Long – 3
Waiting In the Weeds – 2

Vote Breakdown
What Do I Do With My Heart – TimothyBFan
What Do I Do With My Heart – Ive always been a dreamer
What Do I Do With My Heart – Maleah
What Do I Do With My Heart – DonFan
What Do I Do With My Heart – JoeFan
What Do I Do With My Heart– Prettymaid
What Do I Do With My Heart – Mrs. Henley
What Do I Do With My Heart – timfan
What Do I Do With My Heart – Wildthyme
What Do I Do With My Heart – Brooke
What Do I Do With My Heart – eaglesvet
What Do I Do With My Heart– ticky
How Long – SodaScouts
How Long – Freypower
How Long – Troubadour
Waiting In the Weeds – EagleLady
Waiting In the Weeds – Glennsallnighter

Songs eliminated:
Fast Company 11/01
Business As Usual 11/17
Do Something 11/23
You Are Not Alone 11/30
No More Cloudy Days 12/2
Somebody 12/04
What Do I Do With My Heart 12/06

Songs remaining:
How Long
Waiting in the Weeds
Long Road Out of Eden

Okay there are no more immunity questions for the remainder of the game. These songs are now on their own.

Round 18 Begins Now.

eaglesvet
12-06-2008, 09:34 PM
I vote Long Road Out of Eden.

EagleLady
12-06-2008, 09:54 PM
I vote Long Road Out of Eden

Troubadour
12-06-2008, 10:12 PM
No question, I vote for How Long.

The other two are my favourite songs on the album, so I'm thrilled they're in the top three. I struggle to choose between them although I listened to LROOE yesterday, full blast in the car, and I loved it all over again. I think it's stunning and incredibly atmospheric. The lyrics combined with Don's voice give me chills. I love How Long, but in my opinion it can't hold the candle to the other remaining songs. Just my thoughts ;)

sodascouts
12-06-2008, 11:02 PM
If it weren't for immunity, it would've never made it this far - and it's time for it to go!

I cast my vote for Long Road Out of Eden.

ticky
12-07-2008, 12:13 AM
I vote Long Road

Wildthyme
12-07-2008, 12:40 AM
My vote is for Long Road Out of Eden.

AzEaglesFan
12-07-2008, 02:32 AM
I vote Long Road

Peekaboo
12-07-2008, 04:01 AM
As amazing as this song is live in concert, it's time for me to vote for Long Road Out Of Eden

Prettymaid
12-07-2008, 08:14 AM
No question, I vote for How Long.

The other two are my favourite songs on the album, so I'm thrilled they're in the top three. I struggle to choose between them although I listened to LROOE yesterday, full blast in the car, and I loved it all over again. I think it's stunning and incredibly atmospheric. The lyrics combined with Don's voice give me chills. I love How Long, but in my opinion it can't hold the candle to the other remaining songs. Just my thoughts ;)

Troub, I just wanted you to know that I think I know how you feel concerning the three remaining songs. You described it perfectly. However I have to revert back to Dreamer's explanation last round as to why How Long should stay. Maybe it's because I was around and remember The Eagles at the beginning. Their simplistic country rock sound is what I think of when I think of The Eagles. Just like The Beatles, over time The Eagles music became more sophisticated, for lack of a better word. And just like The Beatles, I like the turn their music took. But when I listen to How Long, I hear the band I fell in love with 35 years ago, and I'm sure that nostalgia is partially what makes me love the song and want to hold on to it.

With that said, I sadly cast my vote for Long Road Out of Eden.

wsccg
12-07-2008, 12:57 PM
I guess I'm with the crowd here voting for Long Road out of Eden. I am glad to see these three in the remaining group though!

timfan
12-07-2008, 01:08 PM
IMO these last three songs are best on the album.

I am going to cast my vote strategicaly this round . Therefore I cast my vote for How Long

TimothyBFan
12-07-2008, 04:21 PM
You all know which I am voting for.

Sorry but Long Road Out Of Eden must go. I loved it live but the other 2 songs are my favorite of the album.

Brooke
12-07-2008, 04:28 PM
Well shoot. I do love the remaining three, but I have to go back and once again vote for the song the band did not write. It's a wonderful opener and as you have discussed, sounds like the old Eagles, but still.

I vote for How Long.

Maleah
12-07-2008, 04:36 PM
Daaaaaaaaaang it! I really don't want to do this! Especially because everything I said in the last round is very very true! But seeing as I think the song that's on it's way out is excellent in every way (except perhaps length hehe)............I regretfully must say -

I vote for How Long :(

Freypower
12-07-2008, 07:13 PM
If it weren't for immunity, it would've never made it this far - and it's time for it to go!

I made the song immune because to me it is the absolute standout track on the album. I know you don't think so, Soda, but I don't know that 'it would never have made it this far' without immunity. Perhaps immunity helped it somewhat but those are the rules. I felt that the song needed to be treated with the respect that a song of this stature (in my opinion) deserved.

I vote for How Long.

sodascouts
12-07-2008, 07:25 PM
I wasn't trying to chastise you for making it immune FP, but based upon past votes, I think it was fairly evident that it would have gone next. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I think the results of this round so far lend credence to my opinion.

Regardless, it doesn't matter. Part of the fun of the game is the complications that the immunity questions bring. It keeps it unpredictable and I like that.

DonFan
12-07-2008, 07:57 PM
IMO, Long Road and Waiting in the Weeds are the standout songs on this album. They are simply unmatched.

Therefore, as much as I love How Long, I must vote for it to leave this round.

Glennsallnighter
12-08-2008, 05:05 PM
Its now 10-6 that Long Road will be the next to go and IMHO I think that is fair enough as epic and all as Long Road is, the remaining two songs are definitely superior and like last year deserve to be in the final shake-up.

I'm going to vote strategically here and vote for 'Waiting in the Weeds' to be eliminated this round!

Brooke
12-08-2008, 05:14 PM
:shock: Blasphemy! :fingerwag:

Just kidding!

12-08-2008, 06:37 PM
Well, I agree that Long Road Out of Eden is a great song and I really do love it. However, I don't believe it ranks as one of the best Eagles songs ever. As evidenced in our Survivor games, it does not have the mass appeal that some of their other songs have. I don't know why - I can't put my finger on it, but it apparently lacks something necessary to take it to the level of an epic song. My guess is that the melody doesn't grab everyone like a great song should.

I believe the two standout tracks on this album are the two that have made it to the final round in both of our games. How Long and Waiting In the Weeds deserve to survive and it looks like they will. This, of course, is all JMHO.

A strategic vote here won't have any affect on the final outcome of the game, therefore ...

sodascouts
12-08-2008, 09:04 PM
The eighteenth song to leave the island in Long Road Out of Eden Survivor is Long Road Out of Eden. “Long Road,” looks like you’re out of here. The tribe has spoken; please leave immediately.

The two remaining songs can step forward.

Votes
Long Road Out of Eden – 11
How Long – 6
Waiting in the Weeds – 1

Vote Breakdown
Long Road Out of Eden – eaglesvet
Long Road Out of Eden – EagleLady
Long Road Out of Eden – SodaScouts
Long Road Out of Eden – ticky
Long Road Out of Eden – WildThyme
Long Road Out of Eden – AzEaglesFan
Long Road Out of Eden – Peekaboo
Long Road Out of Eden – PrettyMaid
Long Road Out of Eden – wsccg
Long Road Out of Eden – TimothyBFan
Long Road Out of Eden – Ive always been a dreamer
How Long – Troubadour
How Long – timfan
How Long – Brooke
How Long – Maleah
How Long – Freypower
How Long – DonFan
Waiting in the Weeds – Glennsallnighter

Songs eliminated:
Fast Company 11/01
Business As Usual 11/17
Do Something 11/23
You Are Not Alone 11/30
No More Cloudy Days 12/2
Somebody 12/4
What Do I Do with My Heart 12/6
Long Road Out of Eden 12/8

Songs remaining:
How Long
Waiting in the Weeds

This is our last and final round. As a result, it’s special. We do NOT vote for the one we want to leave. We vote for the one WE WANT TO WIN. That’s the way they do it on the show, that’s the we do it here.

Again,
VOTE FOR THE SONG YOU WANT TO WIN.

EagleLady
12-08-2008, 09:13 PM
I vote for How Long

timfan
12-08-2008, 09:14 PM
Well my opinion has not changed since we did the last LROOE Survivor.

Therefore I cast my vote for Waiting in the Weeds for the WIN!!!!!!:partytime:

12-08-2008, 09:16 PM
Troub, I just wanted you to know that I think I know how you feel concerning the three remaining songs. You described it perfectly. However I have to revert back to Dreamer's explanation last round as to why How Long should stay. Maybe it's because I was around and remember The Eagles at the beginning. Their simplistic country rock sound is what I think of when I think of The Eagles. Just like The Beatles, over time The Eagles music became more sophisticated, for lack of a better word. And just like The Beatles, I like the turn their music took. But when I listen to How Long, I hear the band I fell in love with 35 years ago, and I'm sure that nostalgia is partially what makes me love the song and want to hold on to it.

I totally agree with you here, PM. Very well said!

Now, I have to say that I think Waiting In the Weeds is an absolutely gorgeous song. It is definitely deserving of the Grammy nomination and I hope it wins. The song has great lyrics, music, vocals, and harmonies – all the ingredients for a perfect Eagles song. However, How Long equally passes this test, IMO. So for my final argument about the reasons I think How Long deserves to win this game is because it is quintessential Eagles, as PM so eloquently describes above. Because it is more of a collaborative effort, it just seems more “Eagley” than WITW. If you want to penalize the song because it was written by J.D. Souther, just remember that Jackson Browne basically wrote almost all of Take It Easy, with Glenn only contributing a few lines. I don’t think anyone would ever claim that this is not one of THE definitive Eagles songs. And just for another example, Jack Tempchin wrote Peaceful Easy Feeling. IMO, How Long has emerged as the definitive song from the LROOE album. Up to now, it is the band’s only hit song and has already garnered the band its first Grammy from the album. It is the song the band opens their live shows with now, and virtually all the marketing and promotion for the album used the song. Barring any changes, my guess is that in 10, 20, or even 30 years that it will still be considered the definitive song from the LROOE era.

I vote for How Long for the win!!!!!!!

Freypower
12-08-2008, 09:43 PM
Dreamer, what you say about How Long is very eloquent. I need to listen to it again. I'm in a bit of a 'down' period with it at the moment. At the moment I must go with what in my opinion is a superior song.

I vote for Waiting In The Weeds to win.

eaglesvet
12-08-2008, 11:38 PM
Dreamer, You almost did it...you almost made me change my mind from what I knew from the beginning was going to be my winning song, and that says a lot about your convincing argument! However, I am going to hang on to the last sliver of attachment I have to WITW, because I know I would regret it in the morning...I vote for WAITING IN THE WEEDS to win! (But, both songs are worthy in their own ways, as we have heard.)

Maleah
12-09-2008, 12:49 AM
I have said before how much I love "How Long" but for me it doesn't even come close to the masterpiece that "Waiting in the Weeds" is!It's like poetry set to music! Therefore...

I cast my vote for "Waiting in the Weeds" for the win!

AzEaglesFan
12-09-2008, 01:26 AM
I love both songs but Waiting in the Weeds is my favorite of the two.

ticky
12-09-2008, 01:49 AM
I gotta vote for How Long. I love em both, but How Long is the ONLY song close to country that can make me actually WANT to get up and Texas two step!

Wildthyme
12-09-2008, 04:19 AM
My vote is for How Long for the win. I love both songs but I my favorite of the two left is How Long...

Mrs Henley
12-09-2008, 05:26 AM
Oh My I love both! WITW is special for me, because I just started to cry when they played it live. And How Long is just such a great song and a great start for the show.

I cast my vote for Waiting In The Weeds for the win!

TimothyBFan
12-09-2008, 07:44 AM
I, like everyone else here, love both of these songs and these are the two songs I had hoped it would come down to. But it comes down to this, the day my LROOE cd arrived, on the day it came out, and I popped disc 1 into the cd player, I couldn't forget that song! As Dreamer put it, it was very "Eagley" to me, and I said to myself they really are back!!! Top it off with that song being the opener to the live shows and the goosebumps and tears it gave me from the first note seeing it live, it just seems like the obvious choice to me. I don't care who wrote it, I know who sings it better than anyone else ever could.

I vote for How Long

Troubadour
12-09-2008, 11:47 AM

DonFan
12-09-2008, 11:54 AM
Waiting in the Weeds IS poetry set to music. The lush imagery, the perfect harmonies, and Don's amazing vocals make this my obvious choice.

I vote for Waiting in the Weeds for the win.

12-09-2008, 12:20 PM
OMG - I've got a feeling this is going to be another nailbiter. Very fitting, I guess, but still very nerve-wrecking!!! :D

Glennsallnighter
12-09-2008, 07:06 PM
Well interestingly enough we are down to the same two songs which made it to the wire last year as well. And it is a hard choice to make. Waiting in the Weeds is indeed a masterpiece and is in a class of its own with its flowing lyrics, constantly changing imagery and subtle harmonies. It was indeed a thrill and a priviledge to hear it performed live earlier this year. However, I HAVE to vote 'HOW LONG' for the win. Quite simply, it has always been one of my favourites from the album. It has a real 'feel good' sound to it and always makes me smile and puts me in good humour. I also love the video to it, but what really clinches it is that is is the song which opened the first and long looked forward to gig of the LROOE tour. I will never forget the feeling of total exhileration I had when the band struck up with it and Glenn :heart: started singing it. It was like 'I can't believe I am here, 10 feet away from them (him!!) ......and I am going to enjoy every minute of this.' Every time I have heard it since it has brought me right back!!

I can only vote
'How Long' for the win

Brooke
12-09-2008, 11:23 PM
Very good arguments for both songs, but my overall favorite hasn't changed since the last game. From the first time I heard it, WITW took my breath away and it still does. I cannot fathom how brilliant Don Henley is after hearing this song. It is epic. It's a masterpiece of writing. And all of the guys voices help to make it what it is.

Mrs Frey
12-10-2008, 07:47 AM
Gosh... I've been missing from The Border for more than a month now, and I return to THIS choice... I don't think I can make a choice.:headshake:

When I first heard "How Long" online, I was so excited I couldn't think of anything else but the Eagles' new release. They sounded so fantastic - their incredible voices, harmonies and rip-roaring instrumentation were still as thrilling as ever, and even now, more than a year after I first heard it, I get a thrill running through me whenever I hear the opening bars to the song. I just can't sit still listening to it, and I love to sing along to it too. How amazing it was to hear them sing it live on opening night of their LROOE tour in London, playing it absolutely note-perfectly. The thrill I had experienced 5 months earlier upon first hearing it was magnified!

Then there's "Waiting In The Weeds". Always a favourite, this song made me cry on the plane home from London, listening to the LROOE album on the in-flight entertainment, having left the Eagles behind after their magnificent concert. The song was incredible live too. It's a poignant piece of work, which appeals to my more pensive side. Of course, it's a piece of writing genius, and both Don's vocals and the other boys' harmonies are exquisite.

I don't know... I think I'm going to have to take the "5th" on this. If I cast my vote for either of these songs, I'm going to do one of them an injustice.

TimothyBFan
12-10-2008, 08:38 AM
I will never forget the feeling of total exhileration I had when the band struck up with it and Glenn :heart: started singing it. It was like 'I can't believe I am here, 10 feet away from them (him!!) ......and I am going to enjoy every minute of this.' Every time I have heard it since it has brought me right back!!

Wow-almost exactly word for word what I wrote about this!! I wonder how many of us here can say that we felt that exact same way when we saw it performed for the first time and still feel that way whenever we hear it now!

Glennsallnighter
12-10-2008, 09:12 AM
Wow-almost exactly word for word what I wrote about this!! I wonder how many of us here can say that we felt that exact same way when we saw it performed for the first time and still feel that way whenever we hear it now!

As I have very little time this week I hadn't even read your post !! It really does show how much of an effect these guys have on us!!

Prettymaid
12-10-2008, 01:33 PM
I would like to make a plea to everyone who reads this, new member or not, whether you've been playing up to this point or not, to please jump in now and vote for your favorite - either How Long or Waiting In the Weeds. We want to hear from you. You have until 8 o'clock eastern time tonight to cast a vote. Don't be shy - vote now!

Just Another Hired Hand
12-10-2008, 01:39 PM
Very tough decision, Waiting in the Weeds. I kind of thought it would be there at the end.

sodascouts
12-10-2008, 01:42 PM
I've been really torn about this - they're both great songs and deserving of the win - but I've finally made my decision and voted for the song that, of the two, moves me the most emotionally.

I cast my vote for Waiting in the Weeds for the win!

TimothyBFan
12-10-2008, 01:55 PM
I would like to make a plea to everyone who reads this, new member or not, whether you've been playing up to this point or not, to please jump in now and vote for your favorite - either How Long or Waiting In the Weeds. We want to hear from you. You have until 8 o'clock eastern time tonight to cast a vote. Don't be shy - vote now!

I agree!! If I am figuring it right WITW has it right now by 4 votes?

This is actually kinda a win win situation- it looks as if most of us agree that these are the best 2 songs on the cds.

Mrs Henley
12-10-2008, 02:23 PM
I agree!! If I am figuring it right WITW has it right now by 4 votes?

This is actually kinda a win win situation- it looks as if most of us agree that these are the best 2 songs on the cds.

Yep! That are the best two songs!

Stars
12-10-2008, 05:57 PM
From the very first time I heard "Waiting in the Weeds", I fell in love with the song. I have listened to that song over and over and over, and I never tire of it. It takes my breath away. It's my favorite song off of LROE, so I cast my vote for "Waiting in the Weeds" to win! :thumbsup:

Peekaboo
12-10-2008, 07:20 PM
I agree with all of the comments here about both songs. How Long also got to me when i first heard it in concert. I too had tears. And WITW is a so incredibly beautiful. I was just blown away by Don's voice when I first heard this song. I think this is the best song Don has done, both vocally and lyrically.

Both songs derserve this title but only one can be the winner. My vote is for Waiting In The Weeds.

Prettymaid
12-10-2008, 07:27 PM
Unless a miracle happens, it looks like WITW is going to take it all.

I'm going to go ahead and cast my vote for How Long, and then stand back and give it a huge round of applause...

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

JoeFan
12-10-2008, 08:07 PM
I'm glad I got a chance to vote before it's too late.

I cast my vote for HOW LONG to win!

sodascouts
12-10-2008, 09:06 PM
And the winner of Long Road Out of Eden Survivor, with 13 votes, is....

WAITING IN THE WEEDS!

Votes
Waiting in the Weeds – 13
How Long – 8

Vote Breakdown
Waiting in the Weeds – timfan
Waiting in the Weeds – Freypower
Waiting in the Weeds – eaglesvet
Waiting in the Weeds – Maleah
Waiting in the Weeds – AzEaglesFan
Waiting in the Weeds – Mrs Henley
Waiting in the Weeds – Troubadour
Waiting in the Weeds – DonFan
Waiting in the Weeds – Brooke
Waiting in the Weeds – Just Another Hired Hand
Waiting in the Weeds – SodaScouts
Waiting in the Weeds – Stars
Waiting in the Weeds – Peekaboo
How Long – EagleLady
How Long – Ive always been a dreamer
How Long – ticky
How Long – WildThyme
How Long – TimothyBFan
How Long – Glennsallnighter
How Long – Pretty Maid
How Long – JoeFan

Songs eliminated:
Fast Company 11/01
Business As Usual 11/17
Do Something 11/23
You Are Not Alone 11/30
No More Cloudy Days 12/2
Somebody 12/4
What Do I Do with My Heart 12/6
Long Road Out of Eden 12/8
How Long 12/10

CONGRATULATIONS WAITING IN THE WEEDS!

Thanks for playing, everybody!

To celebrate, check out this EOC video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6RICAg1WW8

And this live footage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE1nqDrYcDg

EagleLady
12-10-2008, 09:07 PM
Unfortunately the best song didn't win. But congrats anyway to WITW. IMO It is the weakest song on the album.

Prettymaid
12-10-2008, 09:09 PM
I want to thank the newbies for weighing in on this last round... even if you didn't pick my song.... It was fun!

Prettymaid
12-10-2008, 09:11 PM
Unfortunately the best song didn't win. But congrats anyway to WITW. IMO It is the weakest song on the album.

EL, you've got to be kidding me!!!!! The weakest song on the album?????

EagleLady
12-10-2008, 09:12 PM
EL, you've got to be kidding me!!!!! The weakest song on the album?????

It is my opinion.

Troubadour
12-10-2008, 09:25 PM
:yay: Congratulations, Waiting In The Weeds! This has been a lot of fun, and I'm thrilled with the winner. For me, Waiting In The Weeds and Long Road Out Of Eden are the standout songs on the album, although I have a great deal of affection for the rest of it. Your eloquent reasoning, PM and Dreamer, has really made me appreciate what an important song How Long is.

Back to WITW... It is poetry. I find the image of "a small gray spider spinning in the dark, in spite of all the times the web is torn apart" very inspiring. The song has a mystical, cyclical feel to it, which I love. It's as if the song goes on after you've finished listening to it. I feel the same way about LROOE. These guys sure know how to write songs!

Lastly, thank you for the clips, Soda. The live footage made the excitement about next summer's show rush back in floods. I know I am going to cry - if not when I first catch sight of them, when they sing this song.

Freypower
12-10-2008, 10:18 PM

Perhaps you would like to give your reasons for why you think this song, which has achieved such popularity amongst fans and which no less a person than Glenn Frey states is one of his favourites, is the 'weakest' song. What don't you like about it? I think that's a very, very big claim.

I admit to surprise that if you think it's so 'weak' you weren't voting for it to be eliminated. You know how other people like it, I guess.

And which song do you consider the 'best' song, and why? I am interested to hear your opinion.

I will state here that WITW isn't my favourite track on this album, but I do think it ranks up there with the band's very best work.

EagleLady
12-10-2008, 10:27 PM
I don't really care for the poetry of the song, It seems to be a little sappy. The best song on the album is You Are Not Alone IMO. YANA Inspires me whenever I have trouble in my life.

Just Another Hired Hand
12-10-2008, 11:19 PM
Very tough decision, Waiting in the Weeds. I kind of thought it would be there at the end.

Hey, is this a first? Quoting yourself? After reading some of the posts in the aftermath of the result, I noticed some divergence of opinion. I originally felt out of place voting until the message urging us "newbies" was posted. I think the album itself is great. I usually listen from start to finish. The reason I voted for WITW and not "How Long" is simple: WITW was written by Don Henley and Steuart Smith. How Long is a JD Souther song. I know Souther is an Eagles hit manufacturer, but in my way of thinking originality trumps a cover. Can't we all just get along?:argue:

TimothyBFan
12-11-2008, 07:55 AM
:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause: :applause::applause::applause:

Like I said yesterday--in my opinion, this was a win win situation. Yes, I would of rather saw How Long win but I absolutely love WITW also. I think is a beautiful song.

I agree with Lou when she says " I find the image of "a small gray spider spinning in the dark, in spite of all the times the web is torn apart" very inspiring." I think so to. And Lou, when you said, "The live footage made the excitement about next summer's show rush back in floods. I know I am going to cry - if not when I first catch sight of them, when they sing this song." Trust me --You will!

And I will also admit that I was really surprised to read that EL thinks it is the weakest song on LROOE. I can honestly say I didn't think I would see that from anyone. But I also know how one song can definitely be inspiring like YANA is to EL. We all have those songs in our lives. Sorry EL that I tried several times to knock that song out of the running early on.

Prettymaid
12-11-2008, 08:05 AM
And I will also admit that I was really surprised to read that EL thinks it is the weakest song on LROOE. I can honestly say I didn't think I would see that from anyone. But I also know how one song can definitely be inspiring like YANA is to EL. We all have those songs in our lives. Sorry EL that I tried several times to knock that song out of the running early on.

You're absolutely right TBF. Sometimes I'm quick to question another person's feelings. But as much as we are all alike, so are we different in the way we see things and the way we are touched by things. And that is really the most enjoyable part of this board - listening and learning from another's point of view.

DonFan
12-11-2008, 09:15 AM
Congratulations to Waiting in the Weeds! :applause::applause::applause:

12-11-2008, 01:17 PM
Very well said TBF and PM!

Of course, I was very vocal in lending my support to How Long to win, and I still believe that unless something changes, it will be the song that is best remembered from this album in years to come and deserved to win.

However, there is no doubt that Waiting In the Weeds is an absolutely stunning song. As many of us have said, it has everything a perfect song should have vocally, lyrically, and musically. It is obviously a fan favorite, and is also deserving of the win.

As someone who was around on the board to play both of the Survivor games for this album, I thought it was very interesting how similar the results were in the two games. The order of finish changed somewhat, which may or may not be attributed to the fact that we didn't have immunity questions in the first game. However, for the most part, the bottom, middle, and top songs didn't change that much after a year. The tribe has spoken, so ...

Congratulations Waiting In the Weeds!!!

Brooke
12-11-2008, 04:44 PM
Congrats to Waiting In The Weeds!

:applause: (note my botanical/horticulteral color!) :wink:

Here's what I wrote in the first game and I still feel the same way:

WITW has been my number one choice from the very beginning. The first time I heard it, it took my breath away. It is just so beautiful and haunting that I just love it. :fainted:

And let me add:

When I listen to the song, I am in awe of Don Henley's brilliance in writing the words. And in the emotion in his voice when he sings it. Tears come to my eyes and I just sit there shaking my head. I can't describe the feelings. I get shivers. :inlove:

Peekaboo
12-11-2008, 10:31 PM
As much as i love How Long, I'm so glad that Waiting in the Weeds won. Congratulations WITW!! Here's hoping that the song also wins at the Grammys :pray:.

DWDrummer
12-12-2008, 02:16 AM
Not to downplay the brilliance of the Eagles live, but in that clip posted of them playing at the O2 the verse "He's the darling of the chic, the flavor of the week, is melting down your pretty summer dress, baby what a mess your making" sounds a little too close to the album, and sounds as if its played directly from the speakers rather than originating at the mic. Maybe Don just wasn't up to it vocally that night, seemed like he may have had a cold........Anyhow I'm glad it won and it's a brilliant song

12-13-2008, 02:17 PM
DWD - I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but I would HIGHLY doubt if Don was lip synching. The guys have always been critical of other acts who do this. I think they have other ways of backing each other up if their voices are struggling. However, in that clip, I really don't agree that Don was struggling with the song or that the part you mentioned sounded exactly like the recording. JMHO, but to me, it is just an indication of how perfectly they can replicate themselves in a live concert.

sodascouts
12-13-2008, 02:46 PM
There are several minor vocal variations that prove it's live. Unless you're trying to argue that he's only lip syncing that one part? That doesn't make sense to me.

TimothyBFan
12-15-2008, 09:43 AM
Eagles lip sync while in concert?:woah: I don't think that even deserves a response!

eaglesvet
12-15-2008, 07:18 PM
At the LROOE concerts, you can hear the variations in the performances from the CD. It's especially noticeable, I thought, with Joe on the 2 songs where he sings lead--GOTC and LGTIT. His vocals fluctuated to make the songs more interesting--sounded great!

eaglesvet
12-15-2008, 07:21 PM
Not that they aren't already interesting and great on the CD!! They were just different in show!

Prettymaid
12-18-2008, 09:05 AM
At the LROOE concerts, you can hear the variations in the performances from the CD. It's especially noticeable, I thought, with Joe on the 2 songs where he sings lead--GOTC and LGTIT. His vocals fluctuated to make the songs more interesting--sounded great!

EV, are you saying you saw Joe do LGTIT live?!!!??!! :shock:

eaglesvet
12-18-2008, 11:22 PM
Nope, sorry, my bad. I meant In the City. Didn't mean to get anyone's hopes up!