PDA

View Full Version : The 10 Weakest (not bad-- just weak) songs by the Eagles

amusefilms
04-21-2009, 02:21 PM
Okay, I’ve been dared.
Now, we all love the Eagles here and they have had an amazing career! And they have written and produced some of the greatest music of our lifetime. So, when I make this list, it is only my opinion (and hopefully others will post as well). It actually took me awhile to come up with this list (I would honestly say I only don’t like 5 of these songs –though I won’t say which 5). Some songs on this list I still think are good, but when you compare to other Eagles songs (and that’s a high bar to measure), they just come up short. Again, please let me stress we are just having fun here. No list is perfect, and if you like some of these songs, don’t take it personal. This is just a list of what I feel are the 10 WEAKEST SONGS (see I’m not even using the word bad…just weakest) the Eagles have produced:

1) Teenage Jail
2) Disco Strangler
3) Most of Us are Sad
4) Saturday Night
5) You Never Cry Like A Lover
6) Wasted Time
7) Those Shoes
8) I Wish You Peace
9) Victim of Love
10) Best of My Love

EagleLady
04-21-2009, 02:25 PM
:fight: Best of my love weak? Are you kidding?

thelongrun
04-21-2009, 02:26 PM
As has been said, nothing personal, and I am being honest here:

My Songs: None.

P.S. Wasted time Amuse? Come on that's a beauty!

TimothyBFan
04-21-2009, 02:32 PM
This is going to SUPER SUPER hard but I will try after thinking about it for awhile.

I do have to say one thing tho...

BEST OF MY LOVE :stunned: WOW--didn't think I would ever see that on this kind of list, but we all have our opinions and I will try not to hold it against you. :hilarious: You sound likeDon in one of those last interviews that he gave when he was reflecting on his disapproval of BOML also! At least you're in good company there.

luvthelighthouse
04-21-2009, 02:35 PM
I'll have to think about this one... but OMG, Wasted Time and Those Shoes are amongst my favorites! I can't imagine someone thinking those are weak... sniff...

sodascouts
04-21-2009, 02:36 PM
Wow, some surprising choices, amusefilms!!!!

Here are mine - most are not really bad, just not that great. I've bolded the only ones I really think are "epic fail":

1. Get You in the Mood (There's a reason it's just a B-side)
2. Take the Devil (This is so forgettable even I couldn't hum the tune if put on the spot)
3. You Never Cry Like a Lover (Sexist with boring tune on the verses)
4. Visions (Don't like the falsetto or whatever it is on the answering parts)
5. Disco Strangler (No explanation necessary)
6. Teenage Jail (So monotonous and unmelodic - hard to listen to)
7. The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks (Annoyingly cutesy and gimmicky instrumentation)
8. King of Hollywood (Too icky a theme to be enjoyable; a bit sing-songy in melody; also, don't like the constant higher octave and the "he's calling" echo)
9. Fast Company (Don't like the falsetto - unimpressive in 1975, inexcusable in 2007!)
10. Frail Grasp on the Big Picture (Mean with meandering non-melody in verses)

amusefilms
04-21-2009, 02:37 PM
Oh boy, I guess I should have let this one alone….but let me put it another way, if you had to leave off 10 songs from your ALL EAGLES mix what would it be?
We all have faves and non-faves, right? Again, I still think some of these songs are good, but I don’t think there “as good” as the others. I know I’m new here and I don’t want to make enemies, so if anyone finds this offensive, I’m happy to pull it down.
Thanks!

sodascouts
04-21-2009, 02:40 PM
I said you should be prepared for heated discussion, amusefilms - that's what you're getting here (honestly, it's not even that heated, compared to what I've seen on various message boards in my 10 years of posting). So, since no one is attacking you and indeed people have gone out of their way to say they're NOT attacking you, I see no reason for you to take it down. Relax and enjoy the passionate opinions of hardcore Eagles fans! ;)

Ive always been a dreamer
04-21-2009, 02:43 PM
Oh boy, I guess I should have let this one alone….but let me put it another way, if you had to leave off 10 songs from your ALL EAGLES mix what would it be?
We all have faves and non-faves, right? Again, I still think some of these songs are good, but I don’t think there “as good” as the others. I know I’m new here and I don’t want to make enemies, so if anyone finds this offensive, I’m happy to pull it down.
Thanks!

amusefilms - This is an interesting topic and I'm sure all of us will have songs that others disagree with. Your list is fine - as you said, it is YOUR list. Around here, we try to respect everyone's opinion even if we don't agree with it. I would agree with about half the songs on your list, but I'm going to have to give this some thought before I can post my list. No one should worry about making enemies for expressing your opinion on this board as long as it is done respectfully. :)

luvthelighthouse
04-21-2009, 02:45 PM
Amusefilms, I am actually going to enjoy this thread. It's okay we don't agree, but WT is a song I listen to over and over.

Soda, I agree w/your list, none of my keeper are on it. :)

amusefilms
04-21-2009, 02:50 PM
Everyone here is extremely nice and welcoming! I just felt a little guilty being the “new kid in town.” I LOVE this board and feel so lucky to have found it!

sodascouts
04-21-2009, 02:53 PM
We're glad you found us too! :)

A few words about I Wish You Peace - it seems this is on the bottom of a lot of people's lists. But just yesterday, I was listening to my Eagles comprehensive playlist (has the whole catalog, even the ones I listened as my bottom 10) and this song came on. When I heard Bernie singing "And when storms are high and your dreams are low, I wish you the strength to let love go... on" I couldn't help but smile. Lovely sentiment, and that makes the song for me.

Freypower
04-21-2009, 06:59 PM
Soda, I don't understand why you listed Visions as having falsetto. You then say regarding Fast Company the falsetto was 'unimpressive in 1975'. The only song from that year which contains falsetto is One Of These Nights. If you are referring to the 'don't you ever think about the other side' backing vocals, that isn't sung in falsetto. What am I missing?

Regarding Best Of My Love, I regard it as overrated, but I wouldn't put it on a ten worst list.

Here is mine:

1. I Wish You Peace
2. Visions
3. Journey Of The Sorcerer (although I like this a lot better than I used to do).
4. Take The Devil
5. Teenage Jail
6. The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks
7. Love Will Keep Us Alive (Tim fans, I am sorry, but it does nothing for me).
8. Tryin'
9. You Never Cry Like A Lover
10. Is It True

I was extremely reluctant to include any songs from LROOE, but I have to say that Fast Company and I Don't Want To Hear Any More were close to making the list. (Tim fans.... he is capable of better than this song, in my opinion).

sodascouts
04-21-2009, 07:06 PM
Soda, I don't understand why you listed Visions as having falsetto. You then say regarding Fast Company the falsetto was 'unimpressive in 1975'. The only song from that year which contains falsetto is One Of These Nights. If you are referring to the 'don't you ever think about the other side' backing vocals, that isn't sung in falsetto. What am I missing?

Perhaps my lack of musical expertise is showing - I am indeed talking about the "don't you ever think..." part. I thought that was falsetto. I still don't like it, but I apologize for using the wrong terminology.

Freypower
04-21-2009, 07:08 PM
It doesn't matter, Soda! I am glad I worked out which bit you were referring to. Strangely, that is the only part of the song I like, because Glenn is prominent.

Fan_For_Life
04-21-2009, 08:27 PM
Here's my version of the weakest: the only ones I could think of.

1. Hollywood Waltz
2. I Wish You Peace(although I love the message)
3. King Of Hollywood
4. Love Will Keep Us Alive
5. Business As Usual
6. The Last Resort Hotel Califoria's version compared to HFO version

thelongrun
04-21-2009, 10:24 PM
Wow, some surprising choices, amusefilms!!!!

Here are mine - most are not really bad, just not that great. I've bolded the only ones I really think are "epic fail":

1... 10. Frail Grasp on the Big Picture (Mean with meandering non-melody in verses)

Frail Grasp on the Big Picture Soda? I find hard to swallow since being a Don-Glenn cowrited Song (and as strange as it may sound, there was no much of those on LROOE), is isupposed to be kind of an Eagles quintesential one, well, just IMO.

sodascouts
04-21-2009, 10:48 PM
Even powerhouse songwriters like Glenn and Don have a few stinkers every now and then!

04-21-2009, 11:26 PM
Okay - I have my list. Of course, I've said many times that I really don't think there are any really bad Eagles songs, and I really mean that. However, these are my least favorites ...

1. Most Of Us Are Sad
2. Take the Devil
3. Early Bird
4. Tryin'
5. Is It True?
6. Too Many Hands
7. Visions
8. I Wish You Peace
9. The Disco Strangler
10. Teenage Jail

Koala
04-22-2009, 01:31 AM
Teenager Jail
The Disco Strangler
Hollywood Waltz
The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks
You Never Cry Like A Lover
Take the Devil
I Wish You Peace
Visions
The Disco Strangler
King Of Hollywood

amusefilms
04-22-2009, 07:57 AM
I also wanted to note that I didn’t include new material. I wanted to keep it “core Eagles”-meaning from Eagles to the Long Run. I wanted to make it as tough as possible for me. If I added new stuff half the list wouldn’t be there (i.e. Best Of My Love & Wasted Time).

TimothyBFan
04-22-2009, 08:39 AM
Before I give my list, a couple things....

amusefilms---Love this topic, do not be sorry you started it! But have to say this is one of the hardest list I've ever had to make. And I also feel there really isn't any really BAD songs by the Eagles. And wish you would have added new stuff since you say that would of saved Best Of My Love. ;-)

Soda--funny, your worst list could almost be my best list. :hilarious:

In no particular order...
1. Visions
2. Early Bird
3 Most Of Us Are Sad
4. Journey Of The Sorcerer
5. Tryin'
6. I Love To Watch A Woman Dance
7. I Wish You Peace
8. My Man
9. Ol' 55
10. You Never Cry Like A Lover

sodascouts
04-22-2009, 08:47 AM
And three of yours are on my "Most Underrated" list! (Most of Us Are Sad, Ol' 55, and My Man)

amusefilms
04-22-2009, 10:51 AM
Okay, including the newer stuff (sorry to say, I enjoy the older stuff much more).
Also, I feel you need to add time to songs. Some songs I didn’t like at first...but I ended up loving later (Journey Of The ]Sorcerer comes to mind). And others I loved at first but now I don’t like (i.e. You Never Cry Like A Lover). So I felt I needed to wait on the newer stuff before I judged them. But with that being said….including newer material here is my Weakest list:

1) Get Over It (I know this one is popular, but to me the lyrics might as well be “You Kids Get Off My Lawn!”-they were definitely watching too much Jerry Springer when they wrote this one).
2) Teenage Jail
3) Disco Strangler
4) Frail Grasp on the Big Picture
5) The Girl From Yesterday
6) Love Will Keep Us Alive
7) I Love To Watch A Woman Dance
8. Business As Usual
9) Most Of Us Are Sad
10) You Never Cry Like A Lover

eaglesvet
04-22-2009, 11:49 AM
I don't know whether I have the ability to make either the "weakest" or "most underrated" song lists in a reasonable period of time without driving myself to drink...but I do notice that some of my faves are on some of your weakest lists (and vice versa on the underrated lists as well.) I think there are a couple of demographic factors that might come into play...gender of the Borderer, as well as age. Some of the songs that really grab at the heartstrings of us freckle-counters might absolutely turn the stomachs of the men here. In addition, an old song that meant a lot to one of us "oldies but goodies" simply because of what we were going through at the time the album came out, might be completely insignificant to some of the spring chickens. I realize that these are by far not the only factors that come into play, as I know that EL, Peek, and Troub love many of the older songs, too! (I actually think gender might play a little more of a role than age, IMHO.)

TimothyBFan
04-22-2009, 12:18 PM
EV- I really hadn't given that a thought but you might be right. Wouldn't be interesting if someone here had the ability to "analyze" the list and actually come up with a conclusion of some sort! To me it is funny how someone's weakest song can show up on someone elses underrated songs list and vice versa.

Freypower
04-22-2009, 07:10 PM
I guess I should have known that I Love To Watch A Woman Dance would show up on a couple of 'weakest' lists sooner or later. :sad:

AF, you say they were watching too much Jerry Springer when they wrote Get Over It. They are satirising that type of mentality. They aren't being critical of the younger generation which is what you seem to be implying. The key line might be 'you're making the most of your losing streak'.

Maleah
04-23-2009, 01:13 AM
Ok I'm a 25 year old female EV :D

This is tough! I have typed out and erased over and over again but here is what I'm going with for their 10 weakest songs, in no particular order!

1. Journey Of The Sorcerer
2. Earlybird
3. Visions
4. Take The Devil
5. Disco Strangler
6. Most Of Us Are Sad
7. Is It True
8. Tryin'
9. My Man
10. I Love To Watch A Woman Dance

But again, honestly it almost comes down to an opinion of least favorite because I consider these songs the "weakest" because they either don't do anything for me lyrically or they don't do anything for me musically. But on the other hand, I LOVE "Fast Company" which a lot of people here dislike and consider weak. :shrug:

sodascouts
04-23-2009, 01:27 AM
I think the wide disparity of choices simply underscores how subjective assessments like "This song is horrible" or "this song is terrific" are. We each have different criteria, and even the most lauded songs have detractors - likewise, even the most unpopular songs have people out there that find them to be brilliant. I guess the moral of the story is: it's all good! ;)

TimothysGirl
04-23-2009, 04:33 AM
Oh boy, this one is going to take some thought! Somebody really opened a can of worms with this one :hilarious:. I have to agree tho we all seem to pick our songs with different criteria and that's what makes it interesting. Some use association to emotions , some to life events,others the music itself or the lyrics. I agree I think age,gender and geography do play into our choices a lot. Ok lesson over :laugh: that being said now I've got to go figure out my list!!

TimothyBFan
04-23-2009, 07:30 AM
Ok I'm a 25 year old female EV :D

This is tough! I have typed out and erased over and over again but here is what I'm going with for their 10 weakest songs, in no particular order!

1. Journey Of The Sorcerer
2. Earlybird
3. Visions
4. Take The Devil
5. Disco Strangler
6. Most Of Us Are Sad
7. Is It True
8. Tryin'
9. My Man
10. I Love To Watch A Woman Dance

But again, honestly it almost comes down to an opinion of least favorite because I consider these songs the "weakest" because they either don't do anything for me lyrically or they don't do anything for me musically. But on the other hand, I LOVE "Fast Company" which a lot of people here dislike and consider weak. :shrug:

Whoo Hoo---I may be a 45 year old female but I apparently think like a 25 year old!!! Maleah--your list is almost identical to mind and I also had Fast Company on my underrated list.

Freypower
04-23-2009, 06:27 PM
Oh boy, this one is going to take some thought! Somebody really opened a can of worms with this one :hilarious:. I have to agree tho we all seem to pick our songs with different criteria and that's what makes it interesting. Some use association to emotions , some to life events,others the music itself or the lyrics. I agree I think age,gender and geography do play into our choices a lot. Ok lesson over :laugh: that being said now I've got to go figure out my list!!

I must be one of the handful of people who doesn't associate songs with life events. I go entirely on whether I like the music and/or lyrics. As you mention geography, I have to say that I thought the songs on Hotel California and Desperado were extremely exotic when I first heard them, but that is as far as it goes. As for age, I have been listening to some of these songs for 30 years and my opinions on them really haven't changed much. I don't know if anyone could 'analyse' my choices because to me they all seem very straightforward.

melrose
04-23-2009, 07:13 PM
Okay, after much hair pulling and Eagles playing, I have finally been able to finish this list. Now, there isn't an Eagles song that I dislike, but there are a few that (as the question asked) are weaker than others. So, by no means do I not like any of these songs. I tried to be as objective as possible and keep my list to the songs that don't have that *oomph* that some of the others do. IMHO, of course.

In no particular order:

1. Most Of Us Are Sad
2. Disco Strangler - I actually like this song, but I agree that it is far from their best work.
3. I Wish You Peace
4. Teenage Jail
5. You Never Cry Like A Lover
6. Love Will Keep Us Alive - I LOVE this song. It is one of my favorites that he does, but unfortunately I don't think it is very strong (so very sorry Timmy :().
7. I Love To Watch A Woman Dance
8. Take The Devil
9. Best Of My Love - Don't Shoot! :fear:
10.Get Over It - Again, another one I enjoy.

Fan_For_Life
04-23-2009, 08:24 PM
I must be one of the handful of people who doesn't associate songs with life events. I go entirely on whether I like the music and/or lyrics. As you mention geography, I have to say that I thought the songs on Hotel California and Desperado were extremely exotic when I first heard them, but that is as far as it goes. As for age, I have been listening to some of these songs for 30 years and my opinions on them really haven't changed much. I don't know if anyone could 'analyse' my choices because to me they all seem very straightforward.

I try to listen to music strictly for the music but if the song involves lyrics it's important for me to be able to connect to. Of course this doesn't apply everytime I hear a song, that I analyze the lyrics especially if the tune is catchy. If the words aren't meaningful then I tend to get tired of listening after a while or can go a while without missing hearing it.

Songs by the Eagles have always meant something no matter how weak the music may seem to me. The songs I picked, except The Last Resort, I wouldn't listen to much if lyrics weren't involved.

TimothyBFan
04-24-2009, 07:19 AM

:steviesmack: LOL!

You know I have thought often, while reading analysis of songs here, why it is that I like some songs more than others (whether it be Eagles or some other artists). Is it the lyrics, the tune, the beat, etc... and to be honest I can't come up with a common denominator. I guess I'm kind of all over the place on that. I do know that I definitely associate songs with times in my life and what's going on when I hear that song the most. That's good but there are times that can backfire also. I know 2007 and 2008 when everything in my life seemed to be going to h*ll most times, I would pull out my "feel good songs" to lift my spirits and now when I listen to some of those same songs, I think "I remember listening to this song so often when driving back and forth to take care of Dad when he was in the hospital" or similar situations, which isn't always a good thing. Does anyone else know what I mean? I hate it when I love a song and then that happens? Does that make sense?

Also---why is everyone picking on Disco Strangler? :unimpressed::hilarious:

04-24-2009, 09:27 AM
TBF - I have had the same kind of things happen to me, so, yes, I know what you're talking about.

Now as far as why different songs appeal to some and not to others, it amazes me sometimes as well. I have stated many times that there really isn't an Eagles song that I don't like. However, with all due respect, it boggles my mind how someone could think that The Disco Strangler is one of the band's best songs. On the other hand, I wonder the same thing as you do about I Love To Watch a Woman Dance. I am baffled that not everyone appreciates the song as much as I do. I would especially think it would make every woman on the planet gasp and swoon like it does me. But, obviously, that is not the case. I have come to appreciate and accept that music is just one of those very subjective things in life, and it truly is different strokes for different folks. :wink:

EagleLady
04-24-2009, 09:43 AM
Okay, after much hair pulling and Eagles playing, I have finally been able to finish this list. Now, there isn't an Eagles song that I dislike, but there are a few that (as the question asked) are weaker than others. So, by no means do I not like any of these songs. I tried to be as objective as possible and keep my list to the songs that don't have that *oomph* that some of the others do. IMHO, of course.

In no particular order:

1. Most Of Us Are Sad
2. Disco Strangler - I actually like this song, but I agree that it is far from their best work.
3. I Wish You Peace
4. Teenage Jail
5. You Never Cry Like A Lover
6. Love Will Keep Us Alive - I LOVE this song. It is one of my favorites that he does, but unfortunately I don't think it is very strong (so very sorry Timmy :().
7. I Love To Watch A Woman Dance
8. Take The Devil
10.Get Over It - Again, another one I enjoy.

Best of My Love? :steviesmack: :lol:

TimothysGirl
04-24-2009, 07:36 PM
Aghh! This is too much like Survivor :sigh:. Lists for choosing make my D**N hair hurt :evil:. OK so here it is no particular order involved:
1. Teenage Jail
2. Disco Strangler
3. The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks
4. Take The Devil
5. Business As Usual
6. Visions
7. Most Of Us Are Sad
8. You Never Cry Like A Lover
9. I Wish You Peace
10. King Of Hollywood

Not really "I hate it" just "not my cup of tea" ones. I agree with Dreamer as I really love "I Love To Watch A Woman Dance" and I enjoy watching Glen sing it. He really puts his whole heart and soul into that song just not sure why people don't see that :???:.

Freypower
04-24-2009, 07:43 PM
TG, have you actually seen Glenn sing I Love To Watch A Woman Dance? If you have, you are extremely, and I mean extremely, fortunate.

TimothysGirl
04-24-2009, 07:55 PM
I think that one of the reasons music is called the universal language is that there is a song to cover every situation and it helps others to understand and connect even if they don't speak the same language. So yeah TBF you hit it on the head about songs and events or things you do or remember when you hear certain songs :hug:. I do it and I think we all do it to some extent, it's a coping thing for me.

TimothysGirl
04-24-2009, 08:09 PM
I'm trying to remember where it was but it was awhile ago and I don't think it was the whole song.

anne-o-gg
04-25-2009, 10:11 PM
I don't know enough of their older stuff to really pick the "weakest" songs, (in fact, I don't know hardly any of the ones that made these lists - hmmm does this make me less of a fan???:headscratch:)

I'm pretty much only familiar with the hits, plus FW1 and HFO...BUT, I agree about "Fast Company"...personally, I don't like it. It's the only one I skip on CD1. Don has such a great voice, this song does not so him justice...

I like "Get Over It" for the most part, satire or not, I actually agree with them on this one...*ducks!* http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/scared/scared0014.gif

TimothysGirl
04-26-2009, 08:31 PM
No anne-o-gg I don't think so. Just look at it this way as all the new music you get to catch up on:hilarious: it'll keep you busy for awhile!

melrose
04-26-2009, 08:41 PM
hmmm does this make me less of a fan???:headscratch:)

Not at all!

TimothyBFan
04-27-2009, 08:35 AM
I like "Get Over It" for the most part, satire or not, I actually agree with them on this one...*ducks!* http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/scared/scared0014.gif

You kidding? I agree with you!! LOVE IT!!!

Get started girl--you have a lot to catch up on. I bet you will find some new favorites once you start listening to some of that old stuff also!

anne-o-gg
04-27-2009, 01:50 PM
I'm goin' back in time to go "Eagle" hunting! Gotta find some of these new...er...old...tunes...can't wait! If my family comes looking for me, tell them I'll be back as soon as I collect enough banana peels for the time machi...um, delorian...

:hilarious:

04-27-2009, 02:20 PM
Anne - I don't know if you are aware of it or not, but several years ago the band released a limited edition 9-CD box set, which included the 6 original studio albums, the Eagles Live album, and bonus CD with Please Come Home for Christmas and Funky New Year. It was just called "Eagles" and each CD is packaged exactly as the original album was released in the '70's. I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to purchase the band's entire 70's catalog. I don't think it is commercially available any longer, but I'm sure you can pick it up at a very reasonable price on some place like ebay or Amazon. I love mine - I had all of the original albums on vinyl, but had never replaced them on CD until this came out. Good luck!

Prettymaid
04-30-2009, 08:49 AM
I'm goin' back in time ...

Ah AOGG, it'll be such a sweet dream!

Glennsallnighter
05-01-2009, 06:10 PM
I bullied hubby into getting the box set for me for our Wedding Anniversary and I must agree with Dreamer, It really is a collectors item and has so much of their 'older' (ie Pre HFO) music on it.

anne-o-gg
05-01-2009, 06:59 PM
I found one boxed set on e-bay for $106...though I'm sure this is a fabulous deal, it's not possible yet - as I just spent an outrageous amount for Taylor Swift tickets for my girls...I have not given up though...I will keep looking and one day I will have them all!

melrose
05-02-2009, 03:18 AM
I found one boxed set on e-bay for $106...though I'm sure this is a fabulous deal, it's not possible yet - as I just spent an outrageous amount for Taylor Swift tickets for my girls...I have not given up though...I will keep looking and one day I will have them all!

A-o-gg, I'm not sure if you're interested or not, but I have seen the boxed set on ebay for $60/$70. I bought mine a while ago from an actual store and spent $115. It is still a little pricey, but I bought my brother that one (70 and change) for his birthday. Just an idea.

TimothysGirl
05-02-2009, 11:25 AM
I got mine on Amazon for $35 and that is shipping inc, it was like new(got it 5 days ago!) so go check it out. If nothing shows keep checking it'll show up and at a great price too. I just checked they have 17 new from $31.67 and up and 7 used $27.89 and up. So maybe one has you name on it AOGG-- good hunting.

05-02-2009, 11:31 AM
I can't remember exactly what I paid for mine, but I think it was between $50 - $60. I bought mine brand new on Amazon not that long after the box set was released. That was a deal at the time considering the retail value at the time of release was well over $100. It looks like you should be able to get it even cheaper than what I paid now.

TimothysGirl
05-02-2009, 11:31 AM
I got most of my music for Poco, Timothy and Eagles on Amazon and got them at really low prices. I saved a bundles and sometimes they were the only place to find certain ones. Much better $ than E-Bay and I use E-bay a lot plus takes less time and hassle too.

anne-o-gg
05-02-2009, 07:08 PM
I didn't even think to look at Amazon...there's also another ebay site, half.com...didn't think to check that either...I'll take a look...thanks everyone!

sodascouts
09-28-2011, 12:36 AM
I'm reviving this old thread because the topic came up elsewhere about "least favorites." It's interesting to read back over it. Veterans and newbies alike - any thoughts?

VAisForEagleLovers
09-28-2011, 01:37 AM
Well, now I have to go load up the CD player with all the CDs and listen to them all to refresh my memory!

Freypower
09-28-2011, 06:21 PM
Mine have changed a bit since my previous post:

1. I Wish You Peace
2. Visions
3. Journey Of The Sorcerer
4. Teenage Jail
5. Love Will Keep Us Alive
6. You Never Cry Like A Lover
7. Tryin'
8. Earlybird
9. The Long Run
10. Hollywood Waltz

I decided that there was no way I was putting The Disco Strangler on this list. The fact is, I have always liked the song, although the lack of harmony vocals puts me off. I was close to including Fast Company but I do like parts of it. As for Greeks, I still think it's funny & when I ranked the Long Run songs, it was not second last. It would be 11th though.

Henley Honey
09-28-2011, 06:32 PM
Well, now I have to go load up the CD player with all the CDs and listen to them all to refresh my memory!

Me too. I know my top five least favorite right off the bat, but I'll have to do some listening research to give a complete and unbiased list. Kinda like homework. I hated homework, but I never had the Eagles as an assignment so I'll make an exception!

sodascouts
09-28-2011, 06:35 PM
I actually like "Take the Devil" more now than I used to - but what to replace it with? I'll have to give it some thought!

09-28-2011, 06:54 PM
I looked my earlier post in this thread and I pretty much stand by my original list. On any given day, I might substitute Too Many Hands or Visions with Journey of the Sorcerer, but other than that my list remains unchanged.

EaglesFanatic
09-28-2011, 06:57 PM
I don't know what my list would look like, but it would include Earlybird, Greeks, and Teenage Jail.

FP and Dreamer, just curious, but why do you put Journey of the Sorcerer on your list? IMO it's very strong, and the fact that it's all instrumentals is magnificent. Plus, the banjo is complex enough where it enhances the song.

Freypower
09-28-2011, 07:07 PM
I don't know what my list would look like, but it would include Earlybird, Greeks, and Teenage Jail.

FP and Dreamer, just curious, but why do you put Journey of the Sorcerer on your list? IMO it's very strong, and the fact that it's all instrumentals is magnificent. Plus, the banjo is complex enough where it enhances the song.

I like JOTS when I am in the mood to listen to it. But that is as far as it goes. Regardless of its status as an instrumental I have always considered it to be one of their most dispensable tracks.

09-28-2011, 07:15 PM
EF - I didn't actually include JOTS on my original list, but I did include Too Many Hands and Visions. IMO, I rate all three about the same quality. And again - I don't think any of these songs are bad and I actually like all of them. But, I had to choose something. :wink:

As far as JOTS, I do like it, but I think it is too repetitive and that's not helped any by the length of the song. I think I would like it better if it were about a 3 - 3 1/2 minute song. For me, an instrumental should be kept rather short unless it has a really unique change in cadence or melody to keep it interesting. The song is also a little bit too country/bluegrass for my tastes. I'm just not a huge fan of that type of music.

sodascouts
09-28-2011, 07:20 PM
That's interesting - I would never call JOTS country/bluegrass!

09-28-2011, 07:26 PM
Really - It sure sounds that way to my ears, but maybe that's just me. I guess I'd consider it more bluegrass than country because of the prominent banjo.

Prettymaid
09-28-2011, 08:56 PM
Wow. I actually did a list. It took me two hours but I got it done. Now just don't ask me to put them in order!

Take the Devil
Chug All Night
The Disco Strangler
King of Hollywood
Teenage Jail
Fast Company
I Wish You Peace
Is It True
Journey of the Sorcerer
Earlybird

whitcap
09-28-2011, 09:00 PM
I can only come up with 5:

Disco Strangler
No More Walks in the Wood
Frail Grasp on the Big Picture
I Love to Watch a Woman Dance
Center of the Universe

EaglesKiwi
09-29-2011, 03:20 AM
I don't have a list yet, and not sure I could come up with 10 as yet. I will say that Chug All Night would definitely make my list, and probablyTeenage Jail and Disco Strangler.

I really like JOTS, however it didn't seem to fit on the rest of the album. I think it works better as a stand alone song. JMHO.

Glennsallnighter
09-29-2011, 03:27 AM
I can only come up with 5:

Disco Strangler
No More Walks in the Wood
Frail Grasp on the Big Picture
I Love to Watch a Woman Dance
Center of the Universe

Interesting WC that 4 of your 5 come off the same album LROOE, and also that 3 of them are off CD2. Do you find you don't like LROOE or is it just co incidental?

TimothyBFan
09-29-2011, 07:17 AM
Soda--funny, your worst list could almost be my best list. :hilarious:

In no particular order...
1. Visions
2. Early Bird
3 Most Of Us Are Sad
4. Journey Of The Sorcerer
5. Tryin'
6. I Love To Watch A Woman Dance
7. I Wish You Peace
8. My Man
9. Ol' 55

I'm quoting myself because that is pretty much the same.

Will say that a lot of the songs on others list, I really, really like. I keep seeing Fast Company---LOVE it, Chug All Night--it's so fun, You all know how I feel about Disco Strangler, King Of Hollywood? Really? I still find it amazing that I seem to be so different in what I like by the Eagles as opposed to so many other hardcore fans on this board. :hilarious: I'm different and I'm proud of it! :)

Brooke
09-29-2011, 12:29 PM
I looked for my list and I guess I never got one done! Not unusual, like Pm, I find these hard to do, but I've done it!

1. Journey of the Sorcerer- I never thought of this as country/bluegrass either, but the banjo is prevalent!
2. Visions
3. Disco Strangler
4. Teenage Jail
5. I Love To Watch A Woman Dance (sorry-this song just makes me cringe)
6. Fast Company
7. Early Bird
8. Most Of Us Are Sad
9. You Never Cry Like A Lover
10.I Wish You Peace-I like some of the thoughts here though.

Center of the Universe? I think it's so beautiful! Chug All Night? Too fun!

Henley Honey
09-29-2011, 01:27 PM
I wish I could say I thought there were no weak Eagles songs -- but I can't. In no particular order, my list includes:

1. Earlybird
2. Disco Stranger
3. Journey of the Sorcerer
4. Tryin'
5. Take the Devil
6. Most of Us Are Sad
7. Nightingale
8. Teenage Jail
9. I Love to Watch a Woman Dance

If you count their entire catalog, ten or so "weaker" songs is a pretty good average. I'd work out the ratio but math hurts my head. This was enough of an assignment!

whitcap
09-29-2011, 04:57 PM
Interesting WC that 4 of your 5 come off the same album LROOE, and also that 3 of them are off CD2. Do you find you don't like LROOE or is it just co incidental?

I like LROOE although it is my least favorite Eagles album. The main reason its my least favorite though is because I don't care for those four songs. I enjoy the rest of the album.

EaglesKiwi
09-30-2011, 03:08 AM
I like LROOE although it is my least favorite Eagles album. The main reason its my least favorite though is because I don't care for those four songs. I enjoy the rest of the album.
4 out of 20 is not bad...

EaglesKiwi
09-30-2011, 03:10 AM
I'm quoting myself because that is pretty much the same.

Will say that a lot of the songs on others list, I really, really like. I keep seeing Fast Company---LOVE it, Chug All Night--it's so fun, You all know how I feel about Disco Strangler, King Of Hollywood? Really? I still find it amazing that I seem to be so different in what I like by the Eagles as opposed to so many other hardcore fans on this board. :hilarious: I'm different and I'm proud of it! :)
I enjoy Fast Company and King of Hollywood. I have personal reasons for disliking Chug All Night (nowadays the terminology refers to binge drinking, & even though this wasn't the original intention of the song I just can't get over it). Disco Strangler - I can take or leave.

BBKron
09-30-2011, 01:53 PM
Yeah, this is harder than you would think. Although I have a few songs that I definitely do not like, or at least don't care much for, there really are remarkably few that I would say are bad or even weak songs.

There do appear to be several that appear on many people's lists. That certainly must mean something. However, there also are several that have been included on some lists that I most certainly would disagree with (Most notably Bernie's stuff, I love all of his contributions). And I know there are at least a few on my list that might be favorites of others.

First of all, I didn't even consider anything on Desperado, On The Border, or Hotel California, because as far I'm concerned every song on each of these albums is great, and there's nothing weak about any of them. I guess I also rank the first album higher than most, because I think it is very strong also, and there is little on that album I would call weak.

So, after going through all the potential candidates again, here is my list.

1. Disco Strangler
2. Teenage Jail
3. Fast Company
4. One of These Nights
5. Too Many Hands
6. King of Hollywood
7. Take the Devil
8. I Love to Watch a Woman Dance
9. Visions
10. Most of Us Are Sad

And really, only the first four of these are ones that I don't like. The rest I still kinda like (I actually like Visions and Most-Sad), but they just seem weaker than their other songs, and are skippable.

I know that the one that may stand out here for many is the inclusion of OOTN. But for me, this song epitomizes everything I hated about the changing direction of the group at this time, when they went from a scruffy, laid-back country-rock band to pop superstars. This is my least favorite of all their hits, and I find the lush and super-slick production and the disco-tinged sound and feel nauseating. Although later live versions have eliminated that disco feel, I still find the original record cringe-inducing and unlistenable. I would have ranked this even higher on my list, but recognize that my dislike for it has more to do with the style and production of the song (and actually the production of the whole OOTN album) more than the song itself, so I put it below the only other songs by the eagles that I genuinely dislike.

But the fact that out of all their albums and songs over the years, there are only a handful (less, actually, 4) that I can say I don't like, and only a few more than that I would call weak, just shows how strong and stellar their music catalog is.

Freypower
10-01-2011, 12:14 AM
I agree with you about the production of the OOTN album, my least favourite, but I do like the title song; probably not as much as others. I do think the end of it with all the falsetto vamping is too similar to the Bee Gees, who did that sort of thing better in my opinion.

EaglesKiwi
10-01-2011, 04:20 AM
I know that the one that may stand out here for many is the inclusion of OOTN. But for me, this song epitomizes everything I hated about the changing direction of the group at this time, when they went from a scruffy, laid-back country-rock band to pop superstars. This is my least favorite of all their hits, and I find the lush and super-slick production and the disco-tinged sound and feel nauseating. Although later live versions have eliminated that disco feel, I still find the original record cringe-inducing and unlistenable. I would have ranked this even higher on my list, but recognize that my dislike for it has more to do with the style and production of the song (and actually the production of the whole OOTN album) more than the song itself, so I put it below the only other songs by the eagles that I genuinely dislike.

But the fact that out of all their albums and songs over the years, there are only a handful (less, actually, 4) that I can say I don't like, and only a few more than that I would call weak, just shows how strong and stellar their music catalog is.
Interesting comment on One of These Nights, some of your dislike seems to have a basis in what was happening musically at that point in time (Eagles & everyone else).

For some of us we are hearing these songs for the first time many years after their original release, and don't have that sense of context.

There are good and bad things about that - on the one hand, I don't have any particular dislike for disco as it was just one more music style I grew up with. On the other hand, I've never heard anything "ground breaking" in the music of groups like the Beatles or the Eagles - again because their music was just more stuff I grew up with.

10-01-2011, 11:42 AM
First of all, I didn't even consider anything on Desperado, On The Border, or Hotel California, because as far I'm concerned every song on each of these albums is great, and there's nothing weak about any of them. I guess I also rank the first album higher than most, because I think it is very strong also, and there is little on that album I would call weak.

I agree with you here, although I did include one song from OTB on my list, I don’t have anything from Desperado, Hotel California, or Long Road Out of Eden. I am one who considers the first album to be the weakest one though. Just for grins, I tallied my list up and I have 4 songs from the Eagles LP, 1 song from On the Border, 3 songs from One of These Nights, and 2 songs from The Long Run.

As I was compiling the scores for The Long Run poll in another thread, I decided to go through this thread and tally up everyone’s votes out of curiosity. Although this is hardly a scientific poll, here’s what Borderers have voted as the weakest Eagles songs so far:

13 votes – The Disco Strangler
11 votes – Teenage Jail
10 votes – I Wish You Peace
9 votes – Most of Us Are Sad, Take the Devil, You Never Cry Like a Lover, Visions
7 votes – Early Bird, I Love To Watch a Woman Dance
6 votes – Journey of the Sorcerer, King of Hollywood
5 votes – Tryin’
4 votes – Fast Company
3 votes – Is It True?, Hollywood Waltz, The Greeks Don’t Want No Freaks,
Love Will Keep Us Alive

I didn’t list the songs that got one or two votes. The breakdown by albums on the list is:

Eagles – 4
Desperado – 0
On the Border – 2
One of These Nights – 4
Hotel California – 0
The Long Run – 4
Hell Freezes Over – 1
Long Road Out of Eden – 2

Very interesting stuff, IMO!

sodascouts
10-01-2011, 12:34 PM
Very, very interesting!

So, if we try to cut it off at 10, we get:

The Disco Strangler
Teenage Jail
I Wish You Peace
Most of Us Are Sad
Take the Devil
You Never Cry Like a Lover
Visions
Earlybird
I Love To Watch a Woman Dance
Journey of the Sorcerer / King of Hollywood

sodascouts
10-01-2011, 12:36 PM
I personally love MOUAS and ILTWAWD, but I can see how the others made the list. I just don't understand how Greeks could scrape by! lol

10-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Now out of that list, personally I would take off You Never Cry Like a Lover, King of Hollywood, and I Love To Watch a Woman Dance. I'd replace them with Tryin', Is It True?, and Too Many Hands. Sorry Randy - you know I love you, but I just think those are some of the weaker songs in the band's catalog. I may be tempted to save Too Many Hands and replace it with The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks, but Greeks is just fun. However, for me I would definitely consider Greeks weaker than King of Hollywood. I thought it was interesting that KOH finished higher than Greeks in our Long Run poll and in the Survivor Games, yet KOH got more votes here. :headscratch:

Freypower
10-02-2011, 09:37 PM
KOH is my second favourite song on The Long Run. It always has been.

As for ILTWAWD I suppose it isn't for everyone. :sad:

The Disco Strangler
10-06-2011, 11:57 PM
I can only think of one and that's New Kid in Town. Nothing wrong with the song; it's just not my cup of tea. Then again, I do love Disco Strangler and King of Hollywood LOL.

Was greating reading everyone's lists. :thumbsup:

Prettymaid
10-14-2011, 09:19 PM
I used to be surprised that so many like KOH. Now I'm surprised that I'm one of the few who dislike it.