PDA

View Full Version : Just curious... fan stuff...

luvthelighthouse
05-04-2009, 01:58 PM
Who here as written to any of the band? Either email or letters? Did you get a response? Has anyone sent them gifts? (I recall some have) Did you meet then after doing any of the above and how did you feel about them knowing you sent them something? (I mean, was is cool or were you embarrassed?)

Freypower
05-04-2009, 07:50 PM
I wrote to Glenn and sent him a card for his 60th birthday. I did not get a response and nor did I expect one. If you write to Tim you are quite likely to recieve a signed photo. I can say that Glenn thanked a couple of his 'Angels' at Pebble Beach for writing to him.

In my case I am sort of glad I did it for my own peace of mind but I have also tried to put it out of my mind.

sodascouts
05-04-2009, 07:58 PM
Back in 2006, I sent Glenn a fan letter. It was long and effusive, and after I sent it off, I kind of wondered if it had been a wise decision! I received no response, but Glenn rarely responds to fan mail.

Later, I also wrote him a thank-you letter for being so sweet to Dreamer, PLS, and me. They wrote him as well. A few months later at Pebble Beach, he thanked us for writing and even recalled specifics from the letters! I was thrilled to pieces. What a guy!

So, while he doesn't write back, he does read and appreciate the fan letters.

Peekaboo
05-04-2009, 08:10 PM
A few months later at Pebble Beach, he thanked us for writing and even recalled specifics from the letters! I was thrilled to pieces. What a guy!

So, while he doesn't write back, he does read and appreciate the fan letters.

I'm thrilled to pieces for you, Soda, and I wasn't even there. Just knowing that he read your letters makes me feel all kinds of happy for you.

tbsfan
05-04-2009, 08:26 PM
I wrote to Timothy several years ago and got a response - signed photo and guitar pick. If I remember correctly it looked like he addressed the envelope himself as well.

Fan_For_Life
05-04-2009, 10:35 PM
Don't even know where I'd begin if I was to write a letter to any of them. Even if they don't respond to each and every one, it's good to know they do recognize the fans when they can. I imagine it's probably hard to keep up.

luvthelighthouse
05-04-2009, 10:59 PM
I've been toying w/the idea... but not sure it's something I could actually do. I certainly would NOT expect a response... I was just wondering if anyone actually got on.

I have many things I would love to say... but I feel kinda silly, KWIM?

DonFan
05-04-2009, 11:40 PM
I wrote a fan letter to Don back in 2004 saying much the same thing I did in my post in our thread about Don's lyrics. I wrote about seeing him in concert for the first time that summer, two months before I lost my father, and I offered heartfelt thanks to him for his music, telling him how listening to his songs helped me get through a very rough time in my life. I sent the letter to the only address that is ever listed for them, the business address at Glendon Ave.

I never received a response. I wonder if they really do receive fan mail that is delivered there.

In contrast, a year later I wrote to Timothy at the address on his website asking for an autographed photo, and I received one in about four weeks. And when I joined Joe's Fan Club on his website I received an autographed photo and several other JWFC items. I think that since Glenn and Don don't have a personal website that is monitored regularly like Joe and Tim's websites, it is next to impossible to contact them. But Soda did receive an acknowledgment of her letter to Glenn, so who knows?

Maleah
05-04-2009, 11:42 PM
When I found out for sure that I would be seeing the band for the first time last year, I sent Don a letter. I don't really know why, lol, but I guess I just wanted him to know how he had touched my life. I told him about how much some of his songs meant to me, especially HOTM. It was quite long. lol I was a little embarrassed about it but I had Mrs. Frey read over it and give me the go ahead or not. ;) Never got a response, don't have a clue if he still reads his fan mail or not. I guess the reason I sent it was because I had read an interview a while back where he mentioned how he he had gotten a lot of fan mail over the years about HOTM and how he had kept them and really appreciated them. So I figured if he could continue to make music that touched my life, I could sent him a letter thanking him for it....even if he never reads it. ;)

Maleah
05-04-2009, 11:48 PM
I've pondered emailing Timothy many times but didn't want to come across as just wanting an autographed picture :lol: I've been trying to think of a way to word it that still says how much I respect and admire him, and still get a picture without sounding greedy. :blush:

EagleLady
05-05-2009, 12:04 AM
Hey, at least Don doesn't throw his fan mail away. ;)

Glennsallnighter
05-05-2009, 05:41 AM
I wrote to Glenn :heart: for his 60th birthday as well. I sent him a guitar suncatcher and a few pics I had taken of him performing in London last year. I also asked him could the Eagles play in Dublin ahain soon. Again it was something I had wanted to do and would have regretted if I hadn't, even though I knew a reply would bot probably come.

HOWEVER

3 weeks after his birthday the Dublin and other Irish gigs were announced.....:headscratch:

TimothyBFan
05-05-2009, 07:55 AM
After much encouragement from some friends, I finally wrote Timothy a letter after seeing them the first time in September last year. It took several months but one morning found an email saying how much he appreciated my letter and how "touched" he was that his and the Eagles music has meant so much to me for so long and referred to several things I had also said in it and told me to expect an autographed pic in the mail within the next week. I received another email after receiving the picture to make sure I had gotten it and giving me the email and phone #s of his assistant if I needed to contact them for anything, and telling me to feel free to let him know how I enjoyed the next concert I was going to. I consider myself very lucky to have gotten that kind of response. I had heard how generous he was to his fans and now I am proof of that.

Ive always been a dreamer
05-05-2009, 09:31 AM
I fully understand how some of you may feel reluctant to write any of the guys because I think this is a very personal thing. I felt the same way and never wrote. But after Glenn was so kind to Soda, PLS, and me in Niagara Falls, I felt compelled to write him. It was actually more of a thank you letter than a regular fan letter, but I did tell him how much I admired him and his music. I actually felt totally comfortable writing it, and was thrilled when he thanked us all for "putting pen to paper" at Pebble Beach. This made me think that the guys really do appreciate letters from fans that are sincere and written from the heart even though they don't have time to respond to them.

I also sent Glenn a note of congratulations after the Grammy win this year for I Dreamed There Was No War. I didn't feel awkward about writing to him about that only because I had actually had the chance to talk to him about the song and how much I loved it.

luvthelighthouse
05-05-2009, 10:04 AM
TBF, how in the world did you contain yourself? I would have been so excited with that response. I seriously wouldn’t know what to do with myself. I’d probably be running through the streets screaming with glee. That must have been some letter you wrote. BTW, did you send it, or email it to his website?

Perhaps one day I may take the plunge and as Glenn said, “put pen to paper”. I dunno… I still feel kinda dorky, but I really really love their music and feel the need to tell one of them. Also, Tim’s contribution to Poco… well, that’s a whole other topic.

Thanks, for the replies everyone.

TimothyBFan
05-05-2009, 12:46 PM
ltlh---Trust me, I was more than overjoyed and as far as containing myself, some here would say I didn't.:hilarious: At the age of 45, I felt a more than a little silly writing a "fan letter" but once I did it, I was really glad I did.

As far as "some letter"-I don't know about that but I just wrote honestly about how I felt about their music, the tough times the last few years that it has gotten me thru and how much it meant to me, after several attempts, to finally see them. I sent it to the address on his official website.

Brooke
05-05-2009, 03:41 PM
I wrote to Don and Glenn a couple years ago and Tim maybe a year ago. I've never received anything from any of them. :sad: I sent them to the business address also.

In each of them, I just told them how much I have loved their music for many years. Each one turned out to be quite lengthy, as I mentioned certain songs and what they meant to me. Each took me quite a while to write by hand.